Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

Also, the garage has become unbearably hot and humid and I feel like it's really affecting my workouts negatively. Thinking about buying one of those huge, metal fans and just blasting the workout area with some moving air, see if that helps. You know, one of these:

E:

I'll probably have to get a space heater for the winter, now that I think about it.

fan helps a lot, get this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Inept posted:

fan helps a lot, get this one

Tempting, but I went with this one instead: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IS6JBY

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/powerfoil-x30/

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

bird with big dick posted:

How much can you bench bro

I throw those 32kg dumbells up pretty easy but just got a gym membership

edit: in a flat sort of benching position, havent straight benched in a long while.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 30, 2021

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Tomorrow is the last leg day of "every other day is leg day" month. I'm torn between next month being "every other day is back/biceps day" or "every other day is chest/triceps day." I've been alternating between strength and volume leg workouts, figure I'd do the same for chest/back.

Feels real good to get back into the gym.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Poohs Packin posted:

I throw those 32kg dumbells up pretty easy but just got a gym membership

edit: in a flat sort of benching position, havent straight benched in a long while.

Alright we'll start you on a trial membership but don't gently caress up or you're out on your rear end, got it

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Well, guess I gotta buy some metal plates. 335 is all that fits on the short bar with bumper plates. I wanted to take a 1RM but well, this is all that fits. I did it once and it was easy, asked my wife to film me doing it again (below). Then realized hey I can do a rep max with 335 and I got 4. Rep 5 got off the ground but not quite to my knees. Anyways I know 335 is ultimately a beginner number since I'm 260+ lb myself, but it made me happy. My goal by year end is 425 (matching my high school personal best) and I just got a lot more confident I'll make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx0CftWVmUw

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

get a less short bar

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

With iron plates that bar could fit up to about 810 and uh, that's some time away. With one 45 lb bumber and the rest being iron plates it's still over 600 that fits there. I expect that if I'm ever that strong I'll have an entirely different gym set up anyways.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah just get metal plates yo

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I wasn't able to get a good rubber mat before so I went with bumpers and I'll keep using those for clean and press. But yeah gonna order some iron plates soon.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Alright we'll start you on a trial membership but don't gently caress up or you're out on your rear end, got it

Ok cool I'm about to start a gym journal to document what I'm lifting and may post it in here occasionally for some accountability and discussion. I'm a pretty fit guy with some bad habits and just wanna get stronger and feel better. I've gone up a shirt size since starting lifting again this year. Shoulders getting broader and filling out in the chest. Gonna eventually start counting macros and setting some stricter dietary goals but as a former chef its hard to not just cook whatever is in my head.

I'm now in a somewhat demanding office job that has me at a desk 8 hours a day and wanna not become a fatass, which is another motivator. It was real easy when I was working as a chef on boats. Loading in eskys and equipment, on my feet, etc.

What sort of recommendations do you have for doing a sort of "calibration" of strength? setting a baseline and then goals?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just checked and with my current equipment I can put 390 on a bar (435 total) so I'm probably okay for a while.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Poohs Packin posted:

Ok cool I'm about to start a gym journal to document what I'm lifting and may post it in here occasionally for some accountability and discussion. I'm a pretty fit guy with some bad habits and just wanna get stronger and feel better. I've gone up a shirt size since starting lifting again this year. Shoulders getting broader and filling out in the chest. Gonna eventually start counting macros and setting some stricter dietary goals but as a former chef its hard to not just cook whatever is in my head.

I'm now in a somewhat demanding office job that has me at a desk 8 hours a day and wanna not become a fatass, which is another motivator. It was real easy when I was working as a chef on boats. Loading in eskys and equipment, on my feet, etc.

What sort of recommendations do you have for doing a sort of "calibration" of strength? setting a baseline and then goals?

I recommend asking MarcusSA or at least someone other than me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

This is a pretty tough question in all honesty.

Whats your history with lifting? Are you comfortable with all the lifts and doing them correctly?

Like it’s easy to say just go into the gym and squat till you hit an 80% max but if you aren’t squatting correctly then that number is kinda worthless.

If it was me and say the bench I would start with the bar do like 3 - 5 reps as a warm up then slowly add weight and do two reps until it gets hard and the second rep gets done but it’s kinda a lovely rep.

Without knowing your whole history it can be hard to make good recommendations as to where you should ideally start.

Also will you have access to a full gym or is it a home gym with only select equipment?

Edit: Well you already said you started lifting lol so what do your numbers look like now? Have you taken a look at your form videos? Which lifts are you doing?

I’d work with a 2rm unless you are going to have a spotter then maybe do a 1RM. I’m way more comfortable with a 2rm alone since I’ll know when to stop if that second rep is poo poo.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 31, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do gyms all have safety bars and straps and poo poo all over now? I literally haven't been in a gym in 20 years and back then you either brought a buddy or hoped someone was nearby or risked death with every bench press.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do gyms all have safety bars and straps and poo poo all over now? I literally haven't been in a gym in 20 years and back then you either brought a buddy or hoped someone was nearby or risked death with every bench press.

Yeah they should. It’s pretty standard stuff on equipment bought anytime in the last like 10+ years.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
None of the bench presses at the Y I go to have safeties, it’s kinda bad, and no utility benches you could use with a rack.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

This is a pretty tough question in all honesty.

Whats your history with lifting? Are you comfortable with all the lifts and doing them correctly?

Like it’s easy to say just go into the gym and squat till you hit an 80% max but if you aren’t squatting correctly then that number is kinda worthless.

If it was me and say the bench I would start with the bar do like 3 - 5 reps as a warm up then slowly add weight and do two reps until it gets hard and the second rep gets done but it’s kinda a lovely rep.

Without knowing your whole history it can be hard to make good recommendations as to where you should ideally start.

Also will you have access to a full gym or is it a home gym with only select equipment?

Edit: Well you already said you started lifting lol so what do your numbers look like now? Have you taken a look at your form videos? Which lifts are you doing?

I’d work with a 2rm unless you are going to have a spotter then maybe do a 1RM. I’m way more comfortable with a 2rm alone since I’ll know when to stop if that second rep is poo poo.

Thanks for this mate. The 2 rep max idea is good. I've lifted intermittently throughout my life, I'm in my 30s and haven't lifted seriously in the past 6 years or so. Before that I was more focused on looking good with my shirt off, ran distance, lots of core workouts, and did a 4-day rotation of chest/tri, back/bi, leg days, extra arm day and hitting traps. I'm more interested in strength now. I've found running long distances gives me shin splits so I'm hitting the rowing machine and doing 10mins/2k before pretty much every gym session.

I've got access to a full gym and and was still doing the same sort of 4-day rotation but I want to start throwing in some more compound lifts. I've started squatting, deadlifting, benching, bent-rows. I'm looking to establish a strength baseline and track my progress. Any good recommendations for an app or something that will give me a graphical output? Make line go up make brain feel good?

I've got a membership to a good Y that has dumbells, kettlebells, racks, benches, etc. Unfortunately I don't have a workout partner at the moment. I haven't yet explored the upper limits of what I'm capable of lifting because I'm anxious about putting up a poo poo ton of weight at the Y without a spot. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the lifts correctly. I did strength training classes earlier in life and don't believe I've developed any poor habits over time, although I haven't video'd myself either.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Poohs Packin posted:

Thanks for this mate. The 2 rep max idea is good. I've lifted intermittently throughout my life, I'm in my 30s and haven't lifted seriously in the past 6 years or so. Before that I was more focused on looking good with my shirt off, ran distance, lots of core workouts, and did a 4-day rotation of chest/tri, back/bi, leg days, extra arm day and hitting traps. I'm more interested in strength now. I've found running long distances gives me shin splits so I'm hitting the rowing machine and doing 10mins/2k before pretty much every gym session.

I've got access to a full gym and and was still doing the same sort of 4-day rotation but I want to start throwing in some more compound lifts. I've started squatting, deadlifting, benching, bent-rows. I'm looking to establish a strength baseline and track my progress. Any good recommendations for an app or something that will give me a graphical output? Make line go up make brain feel good?

I've got a membership to a good Y that has dumbells, kettlebells, racks, benches, etc. Unfortunately I don't have a workout partner at the moment. I haven't yet explored the upper limits of what I'm capable of lifting because I'm anxious about putting up a poo poo ton of weight at the Y without a spot. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the lifts correctly. I did strength training classes earlier in life and don't believe I've developed any poor habits over time, although I haven't video'd myself either.

Oh gently caress yeah, buddy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Personally I’d start add in presses as well.

Also lat work because big lats are cool and good.

Fwiw I have a coach now that does all of my number work but I used the Strong app before which is pretty comprehensive. It will do graphs for pretty much everything like this,

Someone can come in and give some better advise but I’d just do 2 rep sets till you hit your 2RM and once you have that number 75% of that should be a decent working weight to go up from. Personally I would be pretty conservative with that 2RM because you aren’t trying to kill your self just set a good baseline to work up from.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw I have a coach now that does all of my number work but I used the Strong app before which is pretty comprehensive. It will do graphs for pretty much everything like this,

Someone can come in and give some better advise but I’d just do 2 rep sets till you hit your 2RM and once you have that number 75% of that should be a decent working weight to go up from. Personally I would be pretty conservative with that 2RM because you aren’t trying to kill your self just set a good baseline to work up from.

Hell yeah thanks. Thats good advice on the 75% and taking it easy. I feel pretty strong but im not trying to destroy myself.

Oh yeah and im doing lat pulldowns and engaging the back while rowing, focusing on form. I also do dumb poo poo like shrugs because i look better in a polo shirt with sick traps.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

can this app use optical character recognition to convert 4 months worth of whiteboard scrawling into data

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyone use any fitness tracking apps that synch with fitbit? My work is doing a workout for charity thing, company donates money based on how many minutes we work out. I don't really care about tracking like, my heart rate or whatever but it goes to charity why not. We get the points by screenshotting whatever tracker we feel like using.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Did 195 on the bench today for three reps. I might have been able to crank out one or two more, but I tried to lift the bar straight up from its position on my lower chest instead of pushing it diagonally back, and that sapped the gently caress out of my strength.

In other news, the big fan I bought has been great for both cooling me down and helping keep mosquitos away.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

instead of doing trig in your head try pushing harder

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My knee hurts

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

instead of doing trig in your head try pushing harder

Instructions unclear. Shat myself on the bench

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Daily workouts for the past 33 of 34 have done wonders for my mental health if not my physique

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

you aren’t really making gains until you hit a systemic fatigue wall anyway

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Daily workouts for the past 33 of 34 have done wonders for my mental health if not my physique

:hf:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

John Meadows loving died.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
RIP John Meadows. I was super lucky when I started lifting that I was at a gym run by a former elitefts contributer and lots of awesome guys came through. He was there a few times and despite me being completely brand new, he spent some time helping me with my squat. Wasn't doing a seminar or anything, he just stopped by to train and took pity on a super awkward skinny guy just learning how to lift.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
:(

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

He was a thicc boi for sure, rip

edit:

Oh I actually watched his conference about steroids recently, seemed pretty interesting, I found it very cool that he was so open and informative about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybdOEm9h7VU

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 9, 2021

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
RIP to a real one. Goddamn

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Everyone should do a 21 cluster set salute in remembrance of the mountain dog.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

gently caress :(

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I always wanted to make some of his "monster bowls" but I can never find cream of rice locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Man, all the fitness content creators are making posts about his passing.