Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
So Jordan Peele made a horror movie where the monster is racist white people.

https://www.facebook.com/GetOutMovie/

Going through the comments looking for whining about reverse racism almost feels like one of those fishing competitions where they just dump a whole bunch of salmon into a lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I Killed GBS posted:

Well, for one thing, Eurasians have been getting loving lit up for longer than recorded history, whereas alcohol wasn't really a thing in the americas until it was brought over. There is almost certainly an epigenetic component to the serious alcoholism issues affecting native populations. "Responsibility" doesn't even enter the equation.

Much like the study that disproves the black absentee father myth, there was also one that disproved alcoholism among Natives. When accounting for similar incomes white people are more likely to abuse alcohol.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a huge issue of alcoholism in native populations, its just has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the bad environment they are forced into.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Much like the study that disproves the black absentee father myth, there was also one that disproved alcoholism among Natives. When accounting for similar incomes white people are more likely to abuse alcohol.

Don't get me wrong, there is still a huge issue of alcoholism in native populations, its just has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with the bad environment they are forced into.

If they weren't Native American they wouldn't have been forced into that bad environment #Trump2016

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I Killed GBS posted:

Well, for one thing, Eurasians have been getting loving lit up for longer than recorded history, whereas alcohol wasn't really a thing in the americas until it was brought over. There is almost certainly an epigenetic component to the serious alcoholism issues affecting native populations. "Responsibility" doesn't even enter the equation.

This is entirely incorrect. Fermented alcoholic beverages and rituals involving heavy consumption of them are fairly common place pre-contact. There is good evidence that the modern O'odham saguaro wine drinking rain calling festival emerged with the Hohokam about 1500 years ago, the Inca brewed and heavily consumed maize beer at feasts, maize beer seems to have been produced in extreme northern Chihuahua by AD 1200-1450, the various Nahua altepetls in Central Mexico all consumed maize beer and pulque, as did the Maya. Basically anywhere humans can ferment sugars they drank alcohol and the Americas are no exception. In modern Native communities alcoholism is high for the same reason it's high in decaying Rust Belt cities, the rural American South and Hawaii: poverty, oppression and a lack of opportunities given by the ruling class.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

But they won't because video games are a ~power fantasy~ so the player character won't be treated any differently at all despite their race and despite the time period.Also it's a Battlefield game so they probably aren't attempting to do something like that because they will be more focused on the shootmans aspect.

The singleplayer gameplay they posted was anything but a power fantasy. I don't expect it to go into racial issues at all but so far the tone is looking radically different from before (no idea what it will be like past the prologue).

Even if the game doesn't go any further than that, just the fact that it represents the harlem hellfighters at all means overflowing IoSM content!

quote:

HolteEnder852 days ago
Everything has to be black these days just to appease them. Movies, games pretty much everything these days. Black, queer and feminist is being rammed down our throats at every opportunity.

quote:

Johnny Rico2 days ago (edited)
No one is saying the Harlem Hellfighters didn't exist. But there were many distinguished units in WW1. Ask yourself: why, for a conflict in which over 60 million men fought, and the overwhelming majority of them were white, did they choose to portray that experience with the one notable black unit? Why would they engage in this erasure?
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

quote:

Get triggered2 days ago
I don't buy games where the force "diversity" down my throat. I didn't mind playing as Franklin in GTA. You know why? Because it was a realistic character. It wasn't forced. It was natural. Let's stop with this bullshit cancerous diversity poo poo to appease some cucks and landwhales. How about we just keep it loving real. Am I the only sane one left?

quote:

Aublak2 days ago
Its always a black guy

They could have had Indians, Siam, Japanese, Balkanites, Armenians, the list is endless.

When they are pushing diversity, its always a black guy. Can somebody explain this to me?

Why is it that diversity = black and not yellow or red.

Like, seriously, how many war shooters let you play as an Asian. What is so special about black people?

quote:

Bujikun2 days ago
Nice job pushing your leftist agenda Dice, absolutely disgusting. I did have this game pre-ordered but to hell with that.

Pre-order canceled.

quote:

Officer Noodle2 days ago
Keep this in mind.
in WWI, blacks didn't take up even 5% of the soldiers in any of the militaries COMBINED
so, I believe it's offensive to all the people who died in the actual war to make 95% of the soldiers in this game black.
it's obvious pandering and it's really loving stupid. You even made GERMANS black.

just keep scrolling if you really want more, sadly none of this was cherry-picked.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Man, these guys certainly love thinking about black men and things being forced down their throat.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
More dispatches from my high school history teacher :smith:

For once he's not the worst thing about the image.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

KiteAuraan posted:

This is entirely incorrect. Fermented alcoholic beverages and rituals involving heavy consumption of them are fairly common place pre-contact. There is good evidence that the modern O'odham saguaro wine drinking rain calling festival emerged with the Hohokam about 1500 years ago, the Inca brewed and heavily consumed maize beer at feasts, maize beer seems to have been produced in extreme northern Chihuahua by AD 1200-1450, the various Nahua altepetls in Central Mexico all consumed maize beer and pulque, as did the Maya. Basically anywhere humans can ferment sugars they drank alcohol and the Americas are no exception. In modern Native communities alcoholism is high for the same reason it's high in decaying Rust Belt cities, the rural American South and Hawaii: poverty, oppression and a lack of opportunities given by the ruling class.

It's totally weird how the Aliens vs. Predator (Rebellion remake, NOT Colonial Marines) game never had this issue, and Frosty was black all along.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Digirat posted:

The singleplayer gameplay they posted was anything but a power fantasy. I don't expect it to go into racial issues at all but so far the tone is looking radically different from before (no idea what it will be like past the prologue).

Even if the game doesn't go any further than that, just the fact that it represents the harlem hellfighters at all means overflowing IoSM content!
I guarantee every single one of these people complains about "over-sensitive SJWs" getting triggered over seeing white people in video games.

edit: ...is the word filter gone?

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Question Mark Mound posted:

edit: ...is the word filter gone?

Sjw cuck cuckold I'm gay

Seems so

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Picnic Princess posted:

Another story of someone losing a job over Facebook posts. What is it this time?

Excellent schadenfreude.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teacher-aide-fired-calling-michelle-obama-gorilla-article-1.2816143

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I do love poo poo like this. I am a big Kanye fan, and when you tell people this is not the case at all they will either a) find one lyric that says the word gun or b) say, yeah but still, nwa talked about guns all the time.

People always will show you thier racism.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Sweet loving God who are you to call someone ugly, lady

also hth

e: nooooo the best word filter

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Plom Bar posted:

Sjw cuck cuckold I'm gay

Seems so

:smith:

Who knows how to make a chrome extension for that filter :v:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

:smith:

Who knows how to make a chrome extension for that filter :v:

You can do it in grease monkey.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The only word filter they should bring back is sjw=robocop

that was the work of angels

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

As a gay I'm going to miss I'm gay the most

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Personally, I'm a big fan of hth=I'm a huge prick

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Man, these guys certainly love thinking about black men and things being forced down their throat.

Hell, same

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Aw man, did I miss racist coworker chat? Because I started working in a small town a few miles away from the city I live in, and the town is known for being a former KKK haven, and all of my coworkers are old and white and I'm constantly just waiting for one of them to open up to me about "the Mexicans".

Because they always do, despite the fact that I am Mexican. (I'm pretty pale, and I think a lot of people mistake my last name for Italian.)

The funny thing is they all seem to be afraid of going to the city in from. I was telling a coworker I go to night classes after work and she looked surprised. "Your boyfriend doesn't take you? Aren't you scared going to school alone at night?" Another time she was talking about going into the city with friends as a teenager, and how they all thought they were going to die that night after taking a wrong turn and getting lost. This is not a huge city, mind you, there's no rampant crime or anything. But she never seemed to believe that I didn't absolutely dread leaving the house in the morning.

I keep forgetting to just play dumb and ask what there is to be so scared of-- gosh, what's over there that isn't also right here??-- so I can watch them dance around the phrase 'black people'.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The office I work for has a stretching room that doubles as a place for prayer. One day, someone took a poo poo in it, and the keen deductive minds of my fellow guards concluded that it must have been a muslim who was in the middle of prayer, and thus could not get up to use the restroom.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Racist co-worker discussion is always appropriate in here imo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The office I work for has a stretching room that doubles as a place for prayer. One day, someone took a poo poo in it, and the keen deductive minds of my fellow guards concluded that it must have been a muslim who was in the middle of prayer, and thus could not get up to use the restroom.

I am deeply amused by the idea of someone astute enough to realize that prayer in Islam is serious business but still dumb enough to think that taking a poo poo in a public space would somehow be more pious than getting up for a minute or just holding it.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I am deeply amused by the idea of someone astute enough to realize that prayer in Islam is serious business but still dumb enough to think that taking a poo poo in a public space would somehow be more pious than getting up for a minute or just holding it.

It's kinda neat to see someone really push to get something like that out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

She got obliterated in her mentions and the best part is that she considers herself a hater of right wing nut jobs.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Every once in a while I entertain the thought of selling some over-the-top dogwhistle product. Bilking idiots who flaunt their terrible beliefs while I make money and donate large amounts to charities they oppose seems like a win all around.

I guess while we're on casual racism chat, my wife and I recently ran into an old acquaintance from years back. She remembered us but clearly had my wife confused with literally the only other black person in the neighborhood we used to live in, to the point of asking if my wife was sure she wasn't the one that was pregnant in 2010. Why yes, now that you mention it that sounds familiar but we haven't seen him in a couple years, I wonder what ever happened to that baby :jerkbag:

Someone also asked where home was for me while making small talk about the weather because I apparently looked swarthy enough said something to indicate I wasn't from around these parts. Nice try, hitler :heritage:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a huge thing.

Let's say a person is racist against X race. They meet 100 people of X race. 99 are wonderful sweet people who buy them lunch, share their political views, and barrack for teh same sports team etc. Then they meet 1 who is slightly rude to them. All of a sudden its "All X are rude lazy dirty stinky arseholes with baggy pants and who don't have jobs who refuse to pay child support etc. etc." If you bring up the 99 that they met earlier in the day, they will say "Oh, they are the exception. See that last guy was slightly rude!"

It is confirmation bias pure and simple, and you will never ever cure these people of their racism. Sadly.

It's even worse than that.

Let's pretend Blue and Red are "races" corresponding roughly to two real-world races.

If a Blue person spends their entire life around Red people- grew up in a Red neighborhood, went to school with Red kids, had Red teachers, every store they shopped at was owned/staffed by Red people, work in an office where they are they only Blue face in a sea of Red people, etc. etc. etc.

Now let's say that Blue person is racist against Reds. With the number of people in the world, and the number of Red people in the world, despite all that direct experience with Red people - they have still encountered effectively ZERO percent of the total Red population in the world.

That's why racism is so mind-bogglingly stupid to me. If I have encountered ZERO percent of all the widgets in the world - it's stupid beyond belief to make a statement saying "all widgets are __________".

Oh you don't like Black people? How many have you met? 100? 1000? 10000? According to a quick google search, there are roughly 1.3 BILLION people who could be called "black" - roughly 20% of the world's population. You have met effectively NONE of them. Feel free to say "every _____ person I have met is ___________" because at least that's indicative of your direct experience, but as soon as you spill over into "all ________ are _________" you are in fantasy (idiocy) land.

I realize trying to use things like "reason" and "logic" and "math" on someone carrying around racist beliefs is futile, but I guess it's my way to hold on to a tiny, infinitesimal hope that maybe they're not really racist - they just don't understand math. :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Better safe than sorry even though it's probably not :nws:http://i.imgur.com/dqlsJod.png:nws:

(shared by a female friend)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
the filtered phrase was "im gay" not "I'm gay" hth

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Better safe than sorry even though it's probably not :nws:http://i.imgur.com/dqlsJod.png:nws:

I mean, statistically, that percentage is about right.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

Oh, thank you! It's embarrassing to spread incorrect information like that.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Was browsing /v/ and saw a thread whining about how Torment: Tides of Numenera is ruined forever because in the setting racism and gender are mostly obsolete. Here's a real gem of a post in response to this.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

CommonShore posted:

My experience is those 9 out of 10 guys share the 10th guy's feelings. :v:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I have to ask, is your friend overweight? Usually those kinds of things are said by women who have a little more than just curves.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Weatherman posted:

the filtered phrase was "im gay" not "I'm gay" hth

Both were, to different things.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CommonShore posted:

man, finding unrelated Ford/Chevy beef in something is always a treat

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slime posted:

I have to ask, is your friend overweight? Usually those kinds of things are said by women who have a little more than just curves.

Do you have to ask?

e. and she drives a GMC truck

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Oct 5, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Alaois posted:

man, finding unrelated Ford/Chevy beef in something is always a treat

I was gonna say. It was a decent gag but the Ford thing just makes it confusing what they're going for. Too many jokes at once, mystery meme maker person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to share all kinds of mild IOSM today, just for fun to lighten the mood. Here's a pair from one guy:

You think you've seen artifacting? Now this is artifacting. Why does this need to be on an image, anyway?

BONUS - He's Canadian.