Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

rap music posted:

Did we land on a proper Discord to add to the OP? Any will do at this point.

Choose the first one you see with the most active users in it and make a executive decision, you'll never get a clear answer from goons.

#DictatorshipWorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Right now its Main somethingawful discord for text chat, Chugging the Stairs ubisoft central for voice

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Nechronic posted:

This is something I was curious about. Are all execution animations the same length? If not you'd obviously want to use whatever is fastest because preventing someone from reviving can make or break a match.

I don't think so. Like the two starting executions for the Nobushi are throwing them to the ground followed by a blow to the head and a simple beheading. The latter appeared to be faster so I think using the more time consuming ones fall into a style/disrespect/ last enemy left category.

I'll actually look at the timing of them all when the full game is out.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
This is the discord ya jerks

Edit: can't link to it so gently caress it but it's the for honor channel in the SA discord.

Psycho Society fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 13, 2017

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

So Icey Seifuku posted:

I don't think so. Like the two starting executions for the Nobushi are throwing them to the ground followed by a blow to the head and a simple beheading. The latter appeared to be faster so I think using the more time consuming ones fall into a style/disrespect/ last enemy left category.

I didn't use a stop watch or anything but the kensei executions all felt like they were about 5 seconds.

Kirinith
Oct 21, 2010

So Icey Seifuku posted:

I don't know where I saw it, but I heard that longer executions award more renown in gamemodes with feats. Probably more of a consolation prize than anything major, but still might be useful? :v:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Well the For Honor Beta is now up to 67% positive on steam. I bet it would hit close to 80% if you just removed all the P2P complaints.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Is there any concern over the longevity of this game and the player base on PC? Is PS4 a better bet?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Rhaegar posted:

Is there any concern over the longevity of this game and the player base on PC? Is PS4 a better bet?

I think it will last at least 2 years on pc, maybe more, because its unique. But the playerbase will be larger on ps4

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
After RB6 Siege I'm fairly comfident about the longevity of this one as well.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh looks like they're doing a Man at Arms video for each faction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WBV3FIUrSk

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Rhaegar posted:

Anyone who had matchmaking problems on PC were experiencing bugs; I was able to instantly queue for every single mode at any hour on the PC throughout all of open and closed beta. There will not be any playerbase problems for at least a year, probably more.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No this game has no longevity. All players who want medieval multiplayer melee combat will move on to uh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
It's already the 14th in New Zealand. Is there anyone with the download complete who can try a VPN to unlock it? I have a couple hours on my download still.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

7c Nickel posted:

So how long do you think it'll be before Ubi introduces for cash dlc for an in-game axe version of what they made in that video.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zzulu posted:

No this game has no longevity. All players who want medieval multiplayer melee combat will move on to uh

to Five Honor bcuz 4 not enough

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nasgate posted:

You can dodge cancel light attacks as zerk and get behind them where they cant block you.

I don't think you understood what I said. If someone blocks a berserker's light attack, the berserker is left open and unable to dodge or block out of the stumble.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Dark Souls :shepface:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

Oh, neat. Here's hoping they make either a flail or the poleaxe when it comes to the knights. :neckbeard:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

DrBox posted:

It's already the 14th in New Zealand. Is there anyone with the download complete who can try a VPN to unlock it? I have a couple hours on my download still.

That one Ubi post said servers won't even start until 3 EST, it's only 2 now.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Oh, neat. Here's hoping they make either a flail or the poleaxe when it comes to the knights. :neckbeard:

Since the first two were for the Vanguards, I'd expect the last one would be the Warden's longsword.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

satanic splash-back posted:

I don't think you understood what I said. If someone blocks a berserker's light attack, the berserker is left open and unable to dodge or block out of the stumble.

The thing is they have to be a shield user using omniblock to block the quick light attack after a dodge though, so imo it's fairly balanced. Especially since the strong attack after dodge is almost as fast as a regular attack from other classes.

Berserkers real issue is the uncounterable guard break during dodges.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Regarding controller remapping, I have a steam controller and remapped most of the buttons.

I played KB+M in the closed beta, but wanted to try how it played on a controller.
For me, the steam controller felt better for blocking, once I had configured it correctly.

Basically, I moved the attack buttons to the left shoulder and trigger buttons, that way it was easier to hit them while my thumb was on the directional pad (for attack and block direction)
I moved the parry and guard break to the finger buttons on the bottom of the controller (again, so that I could easily hit them while keeping my right thumb on directional pad).

Finally, I adjusted the directional pad to Joystick mouse style, which means that swiping in a direction gives a joystick output to that direction. I also messed with
the dead zone so that simply tapping in a direction about half an inch from the center of the pad would give the max output. This means that to shift my block/attack
direction I just have to tap anywhere slightly away from the center of the pad. This gives you issues when navigating out of guard lock mode, you have to carefully tap the pad
to change direction, holding it down will wildly swing your point of view and get you killed.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
This is the extent of the depth in the faction war:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Pinbacker posted:

Regarding controller remapping, I have a steam controller and remapped most of the buttons.

I played KB+M in the closed beta, but wanted to try how it played on a controller.
For me, the steam controller felt better for blocking, once I had configured it correctly.

Basically, I moved the attack buttons to the left shoulder and trigger buttons, that way it was easier to hit them while my thumb was on the directional pad (for attack and block direction)
I moved the parry and guard break to the finger buttons on the bottom of the controller (again, so that I could easily hit them while keeping my right thumb on directional pad).

Finally, I adjusted the directional pad to Joystick mouse style, which means that swiping in a direction gives a joystick output to that direction. I also messed with
the dead zone so that simply tapping in a direction about half an inch from the center of the pad would give the max output. This means that to shift my block/attack
direction I just have to tap anywhere slightly away from the center of the pad. This gives you issues when navigating out of guard lock mode, you have to carefully tap the pad
to change direction, holding it down will wildly swing your point of view and get you killed.

I was unable to get the steam settings for the steam controller to do anything. While I could do keybinding in game, the steam options did nothing. How did you get it to work? I wanted to set it up the same way as you did but I could not change the right pad off of mouse mode (changing it to joystick mouse did nothing), and changing the steam setting did not change the controllers output. I linked the game through steam and launched it through BPM, but no luck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

panda clue posted:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

panda clue posted:

Isn't that basically the same for every video game faction v faction ever?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

panda clue posted:

Joke's on them. I joined Knights specifically because I loving hate weeaboos. I don't mind Vikings, but I couldn't argue with plate. I realize I could play any class but I wanted to roleplay because I am a disgusting nerd.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Garrand posted:

Isn't that basically the same for every video game faction v faction ever?

Basically, with notable exceptions from the MMO genre.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Haroshia posted:

Joke's on them. I joined Knights specifically because I loving hate weeaboos.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Much abloo bloo about Weaboo.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

That's Chinese. It's different. Racist :china:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Basically, with notable exceptions from the MMO genre.

Like, specific exceptions or just MMOs in general? 'Cause I don't see how it's any different. The only real exception I can think of is Eve in which is not even factions but corporations which would basically just be the equivalent of Guild vs Guild wars.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Planetside (first one) was pretty cool. I think for most metagame things you need to put alot of work in it for it to be interesting at all.

In for honor I literally had no idea what faction I was, but it's not really an important part of the game anyway.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
In many other multiplayer games, factions serve as the 'enemy' your faction is actively fighting against at any given time, and you work together allied with your own faction to win against them. However, here you are just thrown against any random blokes, even members of your own faction.

It's like at some point during development they decided to have these 3 factions and completely forgot what purpose having factions in a video game serves.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
At least they didn't force hero choice based on faction. That's the only way a dumb system could be worse.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Garrand posted:

Like, specific exceptions or just MMOs in general? 'Cause I don't see how it's any different. The only real exception I can think of is Eve in which is not even factions but corporations which would basically just be the equivalent of Guild vs Guild wars.

No I mean some specific ones, not the whole genre. But besides EVE I can think of like, Elder Scrolls Online (the PvP zone), DAoC/Warhammer... and that's probably about the end of the list. Probably missed one or two though. Finding Faction vs Faction stuff that isn't just "I throw my points at your points and the server figures it out" is pretty rare but boy can it be special when it happens.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Have faction battles that count for extra influence points, where you and your team play as heros from your faction against another. Would be fun and make you feel like your faction means something.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Garrand posted:

People were extremely loyal towards their realm in DAoC and downright bloodthirsty to a fault towards the enemy, but something was lost after that game and i never saw a sense of community like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

What is the 'bonus' that you can get from being on the winning faction or what have you?

Is it significant enough that everyone is going to be jumping ship to the winning faction and then one faction is going to dominate for the lifetime of this game?