Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Wow

I hope someone hands him a shovel and then asks him whether he thinks there was anything problematic about the way that went

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/Milliganreports/status/1326472879613992962

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/benwatson200/status/1326479299512164352

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Stop putting facts in the story.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Doesn't change that one of the ousted council members was on TV on Monday calling out sexism

E: Does fly in the face of the "changing... back" part.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The South Australian republic of LNP clowndonia has decided to be completely loving stupid on electric vehicles:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-11/sa-to-introduce-electric-vehicle-user-charge/12869302

quote:

"Someone needs to pay for the road maintenance and upgrade, and it should be the people who are using the road," Mr Lucas argued.

OK so by that logic heavy vehicles should be paying between 1000 and 10,000 times what a standard car is paying. Funny how the 'user pays' argument isn't applicable when it is being used on someone you like/support/take donations from.

Electric vehicles are the future. Sensible government will be encouraging their use. Providing the infrastructure for them should be a priority and paid for by government (you know like the railways, roads and most public works). gently caress heads like Rob Lucas should be debagged, defenestrated and replaced.

KMCN was a passenger in an allegedly stolen car that crossed onto the wrong side of the road and crashed head-on with another vehicle following an 11-minute police chase in Orelia, southern Perth. Her four-year-old nephew was in the back of the car. Police were cleared of any role in her death, and her partner, who had been driving the car, was sentenced to seven and a half years' jail for dangerous driving causing her death and grievous bodily harm to another. The state coroner, Ros Fogliani, blamed her death on the driver's methamphetamine usage.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Worst thing you can ever do in the eyes of the establishment is speak up about something that makes them look bad, especially if you're the victim of the practice. We had a bishop in Newcastle (I forget which denomination) speak up about how he was sexually assaulted as a young man by a prominent figure of the church who had been found to have sexually assaulted minors wherever he went and protected by his fellows, and so naturally the first thing a few other members of that community did was craft a big letter of rebuke against him for not speaking out at the time because they reasoned it would have prevented this figure from abusing more people later.

Oh, and the poo poo that happened with Milton Orkopoulos and how the Labor Party treated the whistle-blower that outed him for his child-sex offenses.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Doesn't change that one of the ousted council members was on TV on Monday calling out sexism

E: Does fly in the face of the "changing... back" part.

Yeah, that's what was concerning to me when I saw it.

It's definitely good to see more female representation in such a traditionally male dominated profession, but tossing out a member who just stood up to the AG is not a good look.

Also, in the next tweet:

https://twitter.com/Milliganreports/status/1326474062697123842

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Cartoon posted:

The South Australian republic of LNP clowndonia has decided to be completely loving stupid on electric vehicles:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-11/sa-to-introduce-electric-vehicle-user-charge/12869302

OK so by that logic heavy vehicles should be paying between 1000 and 10,000 times what a standard car is paying. Funny how the 'user pays' argument isn't applicable when it is being used on someone you like/support/take donations from.

Electric vehicles are the future. Sensible government will be encouraging their use. Providing the infrastructure for them should be a priority and paid for by government (you know like the railways, roads and most public works). gently caress heads like Rob Lucas should be debagged, defenestrated and replaced.

KMCN was a passenger in an allegedly stolen car that crossed onto the wrong side of the road and crashed head-on with another vehicle following an 11-minute police chase in Orelia, southern Perth. Her four-year-old nephew was in the back of the car. Police were cleared of any role in her death, and her partner, who had been driving the car, was sentenced to seven and a half years' jail for dangerous driving causing her death and grievous bodily harm to another. The state coroner, Ros Fogliani, blamed her death on the driver's methamphetamine usage.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody.

Fuel excise pays a significant portion of road maintenance and does scale with vehicle mass and use Fuel excise collections will taper off as e-vehicles proliferate so it makes sense something has to change to include e-vehicles in the collections.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, that's what was concerning to me when I saw it.

It's definitely good to see more female representation in such a traditionally male dominated profession, but tossing out a member who just stood up to the AG is not a good look.

These votes don't happen overnight, there are people running multiple tickets and weeks of campaigning. Trying to imply that there is some connection between Foley's statement on Four Corners and the results of this vote is misleading at best.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

eg this AFR article from last month: https://www.afr.com/companies/professional-services/moves-to-shift-dial-on-culture-exposes-divide-at-victorian-bar-20201013-p564id

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

This Milligan person's tweets are meaningless identity politics without actually looking into the circumstances and substance behind the change in regime, shamelessly exploiting the well intentioned beliefs of left leaning people on twitter for clicks. It sucks but also

JBP posted:

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Fuel excise pays a significant portion of road maintenance and does scale with vehicle mass and use Fuel excise collections will taper off as e-vehicles proliferate so it makes sense something has to change to include e-vehicles in the collections.

Also no one outside of Simon Hackett is going to be paying this because Electronic Car infrastructure in SA, much Like it's public transit system is laughable.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Everything you say here is wrong.

Fuel excise is collected by the Commonwealth and goes straight into general revenue. Any effect on road funding is entirely coincidental.

The scaling for vehicle mass (through fuel excise) is ~ 10 times which is at least one hundredth of the reality of the road wear profile.

Eventually green vehicles might be used as a revenue stream but until we reach zero emissions any disincentive on their use is muddle headed at best.

TMM had a lengthy history of mental illness and alcohol dependency. He died as a result of cutting himself with a prison-issued razor blade.TMM had been assessed as being at low risk of suicide on entry to the prison on 7 November 2014 and was not placed on any observations regime, even as his mental health deteriorated.

ISSUES RAISED
Medical care required but not all given, procedures not all followed, injured in custody, mental health / cognitive impairment.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 12, 2020

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Who should fund the infrastructure used by electric cars? Certainly not the wealthy people who buy them.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

ili posted:

Who should fund the infrastructure used by electric cars? Certainly not the wealthy people who buy them.

Oh I don't disagree. It's just that this is a move by a poor State of retirees and health workers to raise revenue from an easy target. It's not to fund any sort of future plan or infrastructure to fight climate change.

trunkh fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 12, 2020

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think it’s reasonable to eventually have a road use levy on EVs but not to enact it yet to give an incentive to converting :shrug:

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

ili posted:

Yes only wealthy people can afford EVs, so let's make them even more expensive

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think it’s reasonable to eventually have a road use levy on EVs but not to enact it yet to give an incentive to converting :shrug:

If the problem is actually that revenue is being lost on fuel tax (it's not) the answer is to enact the road usage tax they are describing on *all* cars at a low level and increase it in line with adoption of electric vehicles.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
In fact (excluding hybrids and electrics) fuel excuse has dropped in per km terms for passenger vehicles by a huge amount since the 80s because cars have gotten far more efficient and the excise indexation was paused for a long time so has not kept pace with inflation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

norp posted:

In fact (excluding hybrids and electrics) fuel excuse has dropped in per km terms for passenger vehicles by a huge amount since the 80s because cars have gotten far more efficient and the excise indexation was paused for a long time so has not kept pace with inflation.

Clearly we need a tax on people who don't drive much.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Having less cars on the road (whatever their fuel) is a net positive so ramp up the tax on all of them so nobody can afford to drive them, and fund more public transport for all.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Yes, after they are well established not when there is barely any and they're having enough trouble getting market share.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

iajanus posted:

Having less cars on the road (whatever their fuel) is a net positive so ramp up the tax on all of them so nobody can afford to drive them, and fund more public transport for all.

In some areas that could work, but the problem is that public transport tends to get worse the further you get from the centre of cities, which are also the areas that are cheaper to live and so get lower income people who are less able to pay the taxes.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

In some areas that could work, but the problem is that public transport tends to get worse the further you get from the centre of cities, which are also the areas that are cheaper to live and so get lower income people who are less able to pay the taxes.

Also they'd just ramp up the taxes and then never actually put anything into public transport anyway

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

Ah actually I think you’d find the fuel excise is a highly progressive tax

Now, I'll give you one example: The change to fuel excise, the people that actually pay the most are higher income people, with an increase in fuel excise and yet, the Labor Party and the Greens are opposing it.

They say you've got to have wealthier people or middle-income people pay more. Well, change to the fuel excise does exactly that. The poorest people either don't have cars or actually don't drive very far in many cases. But, they are opposing what is meant to be, according to the Treasury, a progressive tax.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Australian cities are terrible for public transport. I am not condemning public transport either. So to be succinct: Australian cities are terrible.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Put a massive levy on CBD parking spots that decreases as you move further out. Introduce congestion charging.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Put a massive levy on CBD parking spots that decreases as you move further out. Introduce congestion charging.

clearly have not tried parking within a 3km radius of Brisbane city ever

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Clearly we need a tax on people who don't drive much.

A tax on people who don't own cars

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Recoome posted:

clearly have not tried parking within a 3km radius of Brisbane city ever

As if QLD would allow my NSW gutter blood across the border.

...Or I would be inclined to visit

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Alternatively we could reallocate space away from cars and achieve less car dependence without having to meddle with fuel excise rates, congestion charges, etc.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I love cars and I love driving and I would 100% love it if public transport was better so my car can be even less practical and ridiculous.

Thanks.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Make cyclists pay registration

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Tax bike helmets

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

14 day average 0.0 dan stronk Victoria prosper

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

treat yourself: go lick some doorknobs.

you earned this. you deserve it.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

On the trails and parks I frequent the mask wearing is getting much more slack. They might have to adjust the rules soon just to avoid the perception of widespread obvious rule breaking with no consequences. The masks don't bother me so I'm happy to keep wearing them but it's going to be hard to convince people of the need to wear them in outside parks, sports fields, trails etc when there is very little virus getting around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Senor Tron posted:

It comes down to what city you live in and how planned it is. I used to live 26km from the city in Sydney and my drive was 1 hour to work in town, and 30 minutes on public transport. In Brisbane I live 13 km from the city and driving is 15-20 minutes and PT is 45 minutes at least (with far less services). Distance is immaterial, it's whether there's any will to put it on at all.

And from living in Sydney for 30 years, the obvious answer is actually making it attractive to have business centred in the outer cities. My entire life living out west I heard that Parramatta and Penrith were going to be the new hubs, but it never happened and everyone still had to commute into the city (Norwest excepted). I'm not sure of the best way to do so, but those centres need to be turned into actual CBDs rather than pale imitations.