Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Nah, that's Kurtzman's gig; he directed The Mummy and he's supervising all the scripts for the Dark Universe stuff. It was expected he'd direct Van Helsing or Invisible Man, but that's up in the air now after Mummy completely faceplanted. I'm not sure Orci's actively involved in anything at this point, nowadays.

I probably just confused the two. The Mummy is similar to Beyond in that it was made for about $150 million then earned $400 million, but they spent so much on its marketing that it was a disappointment for Universal. A hit but not a success.

I've heard they're pinning all their hopes on this Bride of Frankenstein remake they've bringing out either next year or the year after. One article I've read indicated that there's some confidence it can make a billion dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do people not understand the concept of managing expectations? It's a wonder how anyone stays in business when they assume they should get as much money as someone doing better even though they aren't making a comparable product.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RED SQUAD, RED SQUAD, RED SQU-

*explosion*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just watching it again and

Holy gently caress but Galaxy Quest is a great goddamn movie.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I guess I should watch galaxy quest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I guess I should watch galaxy quest.

You should watch Galaxy Quest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's not even really trying and Quellek's death scene actually makes me tear up

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

Do people not understand the concept of managing expectations? It's a wonder how anyone stays in business when they assume they should get as much money as someone doing better even though they aren't making a comparable product.
I suspect it has something to do with the stock price or investors generally

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

WampaLord posted:

RED SQUAD, RED SQUAD, RED SQU-

*explosion*

And now they're Dead Squad, Starfleet Academy's finest example of what not to do.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tragedienne posted:

And now they're Dead Squad, Starfleet Academy's finest example of what not to do.

So between Red Squad and Nova Squadron, it seems that being involved in an elite anything in the Academy is a one way ticket to death and/or dishonor.

If the Academy orchestra starts winning competitions and being seen as elite and exclusive, you just KNOW the entire oboe section is going to be killed in an avoidable reed-related accident and it'll end with all the first-chairs being expelled for attempting a coverup.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Red Squad also helped with Adm. Leyton's fake changeling attack in DS9.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

If the Academy orchestra starts winning competitions and being seen as elite and exclusive, you just KNOW the entire oboe section is going to be killed in an avoidable reed-related accident and it'll end with all the first-chairs being expelled for attempting a coverup.

You knew Through the Fire and the Flames is a banned arrangement, yet you attempted it anyway.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Data Graham posted:

I mean it's not even really trying and Quellek's death scene actually makes me tear up

Rickman is operating at like, 60% for that film and still manages to act circles around the rest of the cast. His comic timing was impeccable.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Red Squad also helped with Adm. Leyton's fake changeling attack in DS9.

It's important to note at least one of the cadets involved in that coup attempt was also on the Valiant, which means that Red Squad officially got off easier for treason than Nova Squadron did for involuntary manslaughter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Red Ryder posted:

They could have quietly contacted an admiral and asked to be put on ice for 20 years. Or pressed a button and magically fly to the future like at the end of First Contact. Or signed up with the federation's undoubtedly extensive temporally-displaced refugee program.

There were so many ways they could have solved that. Even if they didn't really trust the Romulans on the other side of that tiny decaying wormhole, they could have warped around a star to travel back in time to when the wormhole was big enough, flown through to the alpha quadrant, then gone back to their own time. But it's the first season so nah let's just forget about it and move on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Ho boy, my DS9 watch has clicked onto Valiant. I see they're following the JJTrek rules of how a command structure works. I'm a cadet who made myself Captain, that's that, and now I outrank an actual officer. Uh.

Tbf the episode makes it clear that's not how it works. I think Jake figured out that they've never reported their status to Starfleet (because they knew Starfleet would be all wtf come straight home now), and Nog is just too fuckin dumb to take charge like he ought to do. Although I suppose the crew might not have followed Nog if he tried because Waters had some kind of Jim Jones/Joan of Arc charisma going for him not that it mattered since Nog joined the cult immediately anyway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

Tbf the episode makes it clear that's not how it works. I think Jake figured out that they've never reported their status to Starfleet (because they knew Starfleet would be all wtf come straight home now), and Nog is just too fuckin dumb to take charge like he ought to do. Although I suppose the crew might not have followed Nog if he tried because Waters had some kind of Jim Jones/Joan of Arc charisma going for him not that it mattered since Nog joined the cult immediately anyway.
Nog was a little manlet from an unaligned species so he might have figured he didn't have the juice to put one over on the hew-mons anyway.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

VitalSigns posted:

Nog may be an officer, but he's not RED SQUAD, like their "Captain".

But seriously, had Nog tried to pull rank, they would have been put into an escape pod, or beamed onto the nearest planet.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yea Nog probably wouldn't have succeeded but we'll never know because he was so enamored with Red Squad that he jumped at an invitation to their cool kids' club even though he wasn't a cadet anymore.

Also in Paradise Lost, Nog felt his chances of getting to join Red Squad were more important than investigating potential treason and had to be ordered by Sisko to help investigate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

There were so many ways they could have solved that. Even if they didn't really trust the Romulans on the other side of that tiny decaying wormhole, they could have warped around a star to travel back in time to when the wormhole was big enough, flown through to the alpha quadrant, then gone back to their own time. But it's the first season so nah let's just forget about it and move on.

According to Moore, they always assumed that the maths behind performing a successful slingshot was always kept secret. Considering how often Starfleet captains go nuts, you really want them all to have that power?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's a secret but OMEGA PARTICLE LOCKS UP THE SHIP AND SHOWS ON EVERY SCREEN

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

They're all talking about 'Watters was a great man' at the end. :stare: That's some serious Stockholm syndrome going on there. Dude was a cult of personality megalomaniac who wanted to fly before he could barely stand, and shouldn't have been anywhere near a workbee, let alone a starship. And what was with that first officer? She'd have been booted out of Starfleet on day 2 with that sort of bitchy attitude.

This is the crew who thought it would be a great idea to overthrow the Federation Council to make Starfleet great again. They're the Yale chapter of College Republicans with a nuclear submarine.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Got DS9 playing in the background, and it just got to the episode where Dax falls in love with the dude on the planet that only appears every 50 years or whatever. this is also the one that has the gross "Kira sexbot holosuite program" thing. what a dumb episode

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It's funny how you can look up pretty much any of the main characters from a Star Trek show on Memory Beta and they turn out to be starship captains.

(I looked up Nog for fun and apparently his ship is the USS Chimera)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Got DS9 playing in the background, and it just got to the episode where Dax falls in love with the dude on the planet that only appears every 50 years or whatever. this is also the one that has the gross "Kira sexbot holosuite program" thing. what a dumb episode

Meridian is just about the only Trek episode I can think of that is significantly worse than the Lexx episode with the same theme.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

hiddenriverninja posted:

It's funny how you can look up pretty much any of the main characters from a Star Trek show on Memory Beta and they turn out to be starship captains.

Nog was going to end up on the command track though. The episode with Tony Todd as future!Jake had him as a captain after a few decades.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

That's a secret but OMEGA PARTICLE LOCKS UP THE SHIP AND SHOWS ON EVERY SCREEN

Delsaber posted:

Known issue: Omega symbol appears on all crew monitors instead of just the captain's desk monitor and PADD. (Shippable bug.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

skasion posted:

Meridian is just about the only Trek episode I can think of that is significantly worse than the Lexx episode with the same theme.

The Quark head Kira own in the B plot is pretty great though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

hiddenriverninja posted:

What was it Eddington said? The only reason anyone joins Starfleet is for a chance at the captain's chair?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Low Desert Punk posted:

People always talk about Move Along Home and Let He Who Is Without Sin but to me, Meridian is the worst DS9 episode. At least most of the other bad DS9 episodes are memorable, Meridian doesn't even memorably bad. I rewatched it somewhat recently and God that romance writing was terrible. The a-plot aside from that was nothing but technobabble. It doesn't help that Terry Farrell is probably the weakest actress in the cast and the guest star wasn't any better.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Everyone becomes a captain. Some ships have nothing but captains as a result. Star fleet is very top heavy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

People always talk about Move Along Home and Let He Who Is Without Sin but to me, Meridian is the worst DS9 episode. At least most of the other bad DS9 episodes are memorable, Meridian doesn't even memorably bad. I rewatched it somewhat recently and God that romance writing was terrible. The a-plot aside from that was nothing but technobabble. It doesn't help that Terry Farrell is probably the weakest actress in the cast and the guest star wasn't any better.

I dunno, this part was pretty memorable to me. Memorably awful! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMBUa7w9K4

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

hiddenriverninja posted:

To be fair, that's from Star Trek Online, which is set something like 30-40 years after DS9, so it's pretty reasonable that by then Nog would have his own command.

Incidentally, his ship in the game is one of the veteran ships that players can only get by subscribing for, like, three years. I don't know if it's an intentional joke that the Ferengi commands what's effectively the most expensive ship in the game, but it amused me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Polaron posted:

What was it Eddington said? The only reason anyone joins Starfleet is for a chance at the captain's chair?

He said it while wearing gold instead of red. What a maroon.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does Nog make Nog's Logs instead of Captain's Logs?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Everyone becomes a captain. Some ships have nothing but captains as a result. Star fleet is very top heavy.

Trying to remember exactly, but by The Undiscovered Country I'm pretty sure that Kirk, Spock, Scotty, and Sulu were all captains, while Uhura, Chekov, and McCoy were Commanders. Poor McCoy went like 30 years with only a single promotion.

Basically the 1701-A was a topheavy gerontocracy.

VanSandman posted:

Does Nog make Nog's Logs instead of Captain's Logs?

To this day whenever I play a game ROM on my tablet, I internalize the word "ROM!" in the Grand Nagus Zek's voice for some reason.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 31, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

The Muse tho

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

skasion posted:

The Muse tho

Yeah that's another forgettably bad DS9 episode. Second Sight, too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DS9 has 'Melora' which is one of the shittest episodes of ST ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Melora has the Klingon chef who owns