Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That seems clumsy. I really like the Heinz Dip & Squeeze packs a lot of fast food places are starting to stock, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

simplyhorribul posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1796869603/the-thinking-egg-its-time-to-slow-down

Apparently almost 3,5k of human population doesn’t get that you could get an acorn or such outside for free!

This is just Pet Rock: 2018 edition

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Casu Marzu posted:

That seems clumsy. I really like the Heinz Dip & Squeeze packs a lot of fast food places are starting to stock, though.

These rule and gently caress anybody still offering ketchup packets.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

simplyhorribul posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1796869603/the-thinking-egg-its-time-to-slow-down

Apparently almost 3,5k of human population doesn’t get that you could get an acorn or such outside for free!

I don't get it. How is an egg-shaped piece of any material supposed to help me cope with stress?

...It's a sex thing, isn't it... Egg shaped anal beads?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

kjetting posted:

I don't get it. How is an egg-shaped piece of any material supposed to help me cope with stress?

...It's a sex thing, isn't it... Egg shaped anal beads?

They've invented a convex worry stone.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
But...

First off, you can already buy eggs made of different materials.

Second, their metals and minerals aren't organic. Even if we're using organic to mean carbon-based!

Brass is copper and zinc. Carbon Howlite is a mineral made up of several things that aren't carbon. Lava can have carbon but it's not necessary.

RandomPauI has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Apr 10, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomPauI posted:

Carbon is a mineral made up of several things that aren't carbon.

I can see that tripping someone up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I guess RandomPauI means coal is made up of several things that aren't carbon. Depending on type it contains varying amounts of oxygen, hydrogen and sulfur, plus whatever contaminants might be present.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Apr 7, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought that maybe, but I thought coal was a rock and not a mineral, so I got lost again.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I assume they meant Howlite, since they were listing materials the egg things are made of.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Elemental carbon isn’t considered “organic” for historical reasons.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Platystemon posted:

Elemental carbon isn’t considered “organic” for historical reasons.

What are the historical reasons?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

senrath posted:

I assume they meant Howlite, since they were listing materials the egg things are made of.
But Howlite doesn't contain carbon at all. :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Volcott posted:

What are the historical reasons?

People thought that there was a fundamental difference between the composition of living and nonliving things.

Sugar is organic because it’s found in living things. Quartz is not because it comes from the ground. Pure carbon also comes from the ground in the form of coal (the root of the word “carbon”).

Chemistry could be done on living matter or nonliving matter and never would the two would cross.

In the nineteenth century, it was discovered that the two could cross. It is possible to take stuff out of the ground, do some chemistry on it, and turn it into substances indistinguishable* from those derived from living things.

Living and nonliving things, it turns out, are actually all made of the same stuff.

“Organic” had to get a new definition and chemists worked backwards to get there.

The modern definition is often simplified to “contains carbon atoms” but to be more specific, bonds between carbon and hydrogen are required. This helpfully excludes many substances like diamonds and carbon dioxide, which had long been known to come from the ground.

There are, however, still exceptions to that definition.

*Indistinguishable with their technology. Nowadays things like (lack of) radiocarbon would give it away.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

that thinking egg makes me think about when i found a large black and white marble polished stone egg at a thrift store for $1 :smug:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can buy a bag of 50 glass marbles on ebay for Ł1.51. Guess I should buy a bag and sell them individually at a fiver each.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

These rule and gently caress anybody still offering ketchup packets.

Hey gently caress you rear end in a top hat I like ketchup packets they’re nice and remind me of simpler times :mad:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Platystemon posted:

In the nineteenth century, it was discovered that the two could cross. It is possible to take stuff out of the ground, do some chemistry on it, and turn it into substances indistinguishable* from those derived from living things.

Living and nonliving things, it turns out, are actually all made of the same stuff.

Dude, how can you leave out what the specific thing they made was? It was urea. One of the most important discoveries in the history of chemistry was because a guy made artificial piss in his lab.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

that thinking egg makes me think about when i found a large black and white marble polished stone egg at a thrift store for $1 :smug:

You bought it right? Because that sounds wonderful and I would have snapped that up immediately.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Platystemon posted:

People thought that there was a fundamental difference between the composition of living and nonliving things.

Sugar is organic because it’s found in living things. Quartz is not because it comes from the ground. Pure carbon also comes from the ground in the form of coal (the root of the word “carbon”).

Chemistry could be done on living matter or nonliving matter and never would the two would cross.

“Organic” had to get a new definition and chemists worked backwards to get there.

The modern definition is often simplified to “contains carbon atoms” but to be more specific, bonds between carbon and hydrogen are required. This helpfully excludes many substances like diamonds and carbon dioxide, which had long been known to come from the ground.

There are, however, still exceptions to that definition.

*Indistinguishable with their technology. Nowadays things like (lack of) radiocarbon would give it away.

Neat, thanks for the explanation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Snoo posted:

Did you stick it in your butt?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Did you stick it in your butt?

Who wouldn't?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dude, how can you leave out what the specific thing they made was? It was urea. One of the most important discoveries in the history of chemistry was because a guy made artificial piss in his lab.

Speaking of, the element phosphorus was first discovered by a German (of course) man who decided that, since urine and gold were both yellow, he could boil and ferment piss and turn it into gold. Instead, he got phosphorus. It was the first new element discovered since antiquity. Wikipedia has this to say about the process:

"Brand's process originally involved letting urine stand for days until it gave off a terrible smell. Then he boiled it down to a paste, heated this paste to a high temperature, and led the vapours through water, where he hoped they would condense to gold. Instead, he obtained a white, waxy substance that glowed in the dark. Brand had discovered phosphorus. We now know that Brand produced ammonium sodium hydrogen phosphate, (NH4)NaHPO4. While the quantities were essentially correct (it took about 1,100 litres [290 US gal] of urine to make about 60 g of phosphorus), it was unnecessary to allow the urine to rot."

Urine continued to be the feedstock for phosphorus for about a century.

*twee guitar music* YO BACK MY KICKSTARTER TO UPCYCLE PISS INTO GOLD

Cichlidae has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Apr 8, 2018

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Guy Goodbody posted:

Indeed, the beverage industry played a critical role in the development of modern chemistry.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is this the AWESOME KICKSTARTERS thread?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coreywright/kartoffelkrieg-potato-wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYai0krC_Ec

Get a potato
:siren: MAKE A GODDAMN MECH POTATO :siren:
Fight dem potatos
I will not run away.. I will not run away.. I will not run away.. I will not run away..

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

You shouldn’t play with your food like that

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What if you could tell a measurement at a glance, without having to read a label? Meet MEASURE, the first visual measuring cups. The shape itself tells you the unit of measure.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

What if you could tell a measurement at a glance, without having to read a label? Meet MEASURE, the first visual measuring cups. The shape itself tells you the unit of measure.

Not gonna lie, I like those. Nothing like looking into a drawer of old measuring devices, but all the measurements have been rubbed off.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I like them. Measuring cups are boring, mix it up a little.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I would buy those

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Plus it looks like they still do the most important thing, which is stack neatly into each other.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I don't really want my measuring cups to have more corners than they really need.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do they come with metric units too ?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I could see them being useful if you've got little kids who are learning fractions, but if you cook regularly you're gonna be able to recognize them by sight. Or just get a set that has clearly visible engravings/stampings instead of painted on symbols.

And you ought to be using weight measures instead of volume anyways. Super simple: just put your mixing bowl on the scale and zero it after adding every ingredient. You'll get more consistent and higher quality results ala the bread loaves in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QDDxmtbUsw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

C.M. Kruger posted:

I could see them being useful if you've got little kids who are learning fractions, but if you cook regularly you're gonna be able to recognize them by sight. Or just get a set that has clearly visible engravings/stampings instead of painted on symbols.

BRB, Kickstarting a set of measuring cups where the handles are shaped like numerals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Infinitum posted:

Is this the AWESOME KICKSTARTERS thread?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coreywright/kartoffelkrieg-potato-wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYai0krC_Ec

Get a potato
:siren: MAKE A GODDAMN MECH POTATO :siren:
Fight dem potatos
I will not run away.. I will not run away.. I will not run away.. I will not run away..

Funny thing is this is almost literally what the original Mr Potato Head was; plastic facial features with pins to stick into vegetables, and they only later started making bodies to go with them.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Introducing Mr Potato Dread.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is this is almost literally what the original Mr Potato Head was; plastic facial features with pins to stick into vegetables, and they only later started making bodies to go with them.

Ok well now I want to combine that game + Mr Potato Head parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes, but I'm not sure the world really needs Giant Mecha Potato Head. Although seeing it written down does put doubts in my mind.