Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Got a selection of buggy, unfinished products on sale, stranger. Eh heh heh... thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

But this is like, the developer directly and unambiguously lied about objective things like "the game has multiplayer".

wait what? i dont remember the kingdom come devs ever saying that, i only remember it being talked about as a single player rpg even in early days.

there were some broken quests at launch and a few people lost save data but i think saying "thousands of people were hosed" is a bit of a stretch

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Never buy a game at launch, never pre-order. If you do it's YOU John who are the game developers!

Also buying a game is like buying a chair in exactly zero ways.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

wait what? i dont remember the kingdom come devs ever saying that, i only remember it being talked about as a single player rpg even in early days.

there were some broken quests at launch and a few people lost save data but i think saying "thousands of people were hosed" is a bit of a stretch

I thought we were talking about No Man's Sky.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

I thought we were talking about No Man's Sky.

oh my bad if so that was a very different situation

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Earwicker posted:

I think it's branched out into No Man's Sky now.

Imo buy a video game if it sounds fun.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Are you saying that a company that releases buggy garbage and takes well over a year to fix it shouldn't continue to receive money from consumers? Like, you want them to be held to some kind of...some kind of STANDARD? But..but MY VIDEOGAMES. It's okay if they hosed thousands of people, as long as they're not loving meeeeee. And actually even if they gently caress me I'll be cool with it because I...I can't face the world without my video games, I just can't!

i choose to read tthis in lowtax's voice, but like he's drugged up in a hospital bed

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the best final fantasy game is the one you hate

personally i'd rate them 14>15>13>12>6>>>>>>>and then the rest from 10 to 1 in descending order

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

food court bailiff posted:

the best final fantasy game is the one you hate

personally i'd rate them 14>15>13>12>6>>>>>>>and then the rest from 10 to 1 in descending order

9 = 15 = lost odyssey > 6 > 7 > the last story > 4 > 5 > tactics > war of the lions > 1 > mystic quest > 10 > 3 > 2 > making GBS threads directly into my own mouth > tactics advance > 3-ds > 12

i can't count the MMOs because i don't enjoy that type of game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i will fight you for your placement of 12 and also leaving off a good one and a pretty okay one

e: i know we've had disagreements about T:A in the past but i forget if you said you'd ever tried A2 for the DS?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I actually enjoyed the after years

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
If we're talking Final Fantasy now here's my hot take: I liked the first five to ten minutes I played of 12 way more than the two-ish hours I wasted on 10.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

10 really is kind of an abysmal slog but it had some fun ideas that i liked

12 has crazy problems (here's 40 minutes of grandiose kingdom warring and betrayals and assassinations, now everyone you just saw is dead and you're the world's most annoying kid literally fighting rats in a loving sewer) but the battle system is really neat and the presentation overall is super solid

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The best Final Fantasy is Chrono Trigger.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

e: i know we've had disagreements about T:A in the past but i forget if you said you'd ever tried A2 for the DS?

i skipped A2, it came out right around the time i was having my "college pokemon renaissance" and spending all of my entertainment budget on like platinum, mystery dungeon, heart gold etc.

i actually probably would've liked A1 if not for the laws but while you CAN move around it, it was basically just a double whammy of micro + grinding. e: oh and enemies being functionally immune to laws. enemy unit you broke a law! have a yellow card that will penalize you after this battle is over. that really sucked.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 21, 2019

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

10 really is kind of an abysmal slog but it had some fun ideas that i liked

12 has crazy problems (here's 40 minutes of grandiose kingdom warring and betrayals and assassinations, now everyone you just saw is dead and you're the world's most annoying kid literally fighting rats in a loving sewer) but the battle system is really neat and the presentation overall is super solid

I should probably expand on specifics rather than leaving my last post as it is. I enjoyed that super solid presentation of 12 despite the wonky battle system, the license to wear a hat thing, and I didn't get far enough to be annoyed by the kid but I did fight the rats in a sewer. 12's plot (or at least the beginning) may be the stereotypical we got invaded by assholes and now we're gonna rebel against said tyrannical overlord assholes which is cliche but didn't offend me like 10's opening.

I put those two hours in 10 waiting for it to "get good" but it never rose above it's stupid anime plot. Protagonist's world getting destroyed by large inhuman creature/force? Check. Him getting saved at the last minute by mysterious stranger and waking up in another place? Check. Nobody in the new place having heard of the city the protagonist's from (except as a bullshit legend for babies)? Check. Falling in love at first sight with the quiet priestess type character? Check. One of them will die valiantly? Check, according to Wikipedia. Plus, I had a hard time feeling bad for Tidus, an entitled, wildly successful, popular sports player, even if he had abandonment/daddy issues. Apparently he learns to not be such a whiny idiot over the course of the game, but I haven't hated a player character this much since I tried Radiata Stories.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Turbinosamente posted:

12's plot (or at least the beginning) may be the stereotypical we got invaded by assholes and now we're gonna rebel against said tyrannical overlord assholes which is cliche but didn't offend me like 10's opening.

my problem with ff12 is that this isn't how the plot goes. the plot goes, we got invaded by assholes and now we're gonna

walk through a swamp for five hours while Politicks happens in cutscenes a thousand miles away

phew that english script stank to high heaven. uninhibited alexander o smith is a trash fire

quote:

I put those two hours in 10 waiting for it to "get good" but it never rose above it's stupid anime plot.

ff10 in 2019 has ff4 syndrome where it was extremely innovative when it came out, but it was so good that people have been aping it and borrowing its twists for twenty years now so going back to it feels like you've seen it a million times

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 21, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Remember when they released that Lord of the Rings rpg where the battle system was literally exactly the same as in FFX? The Third Age, I want to say?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Remember when they released that Lord of the Rings rpg where the battle system was literally exactly the same as in FFX? The Third Age, I want to say?

That thing was great. It had this great dumb fanfiction plot where you kept popping up and fighting alongside the fellowship for no reason.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Are you saying that a company that releases buggy garbage and takes well over a year to fix it shouldn't continue to receive money from consumers? Like, you want them to be held to some kind of...some kind of STANDARD? But..but MY VIDEOGAMES. It's okay if they hosed thousands of people, as long as they're not loving meeeeee. And actually even if they gently caress me I'll be cool with it because I...I can't face the world without my video games, I just can't!

lmao get a load of this guy's iron will and staunch sense of morality about fuckin video games, of all things

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

They sold us a buggy unfinished piece of poo poo but a couple years later it's fixed so go ahead and give them your money now. All is forgiven as long as I can play my video games.

See also: No Man's Sky.

i preordered no mans sky and still have it and like it also

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tim Burns Effect posted:

i preordered no mans sky and still have it and like it also

OH NO YOU HAVE BEEN hosed LMAO

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FoolyCharged posted:

That thing was great. It had this great dumb fanfiction plot where you kept popping up and fighting alongside the fellowship for no reason.

You fight with Aragorn at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, and afterwards he says to your main character "you bow to no-one"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Were the endgame battles in that game really unfairly hard or did I gently caress myself by doing my standard RPG thing of refusing to use anything but direct damage spells and autoattacks?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Were the endgame battles in that game really unfairly hard or did I gently caress myself by doing my standard RPG thing of refusing to use anything but direct damage spells and autoattacks?

The leveling system was stupid as hell, so if you werent at the cap points it wanted the game got stupid hard.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

FoolyCharged posted:

The best LOTR game is The War In the North, no fooling. That game is loads of fun to play with a buddy up until the dwarf unlocks the explosive crossbow ability and trivializes the content

Also that Game of Thrones: The Roleplaying Game that came out in like 2012 is way better than it ever had a right to be.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 21, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

lmao get a load of this guy's iron will and staunch sense of morality about fuckin video games, of all things

We all have to stand up for something, man. I hope someday you can feel as passionate about something as I do about video games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The story of FF12 is miserable and while it at least makes sense so its better than FF13's story, its really bad. Its bad both in what the narrative is and how its presented

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

playing a final fantasy game for the story within the last 15 years is really on your own head

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In general playing videogames for stories is on your head.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah I had that at the end of the post already but thought it sounded too pithy altogether

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I loving loved interacting with all the interlocking systems of Tactics A2, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

yeah I had that at the end of the post already but thought it sounded too pithy altogether

Nah its cool.

Doom 2 has exactly as much story as a game needs; Demons exist and can be shot to death. They killed your pet rabbit.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

the combat in almost every videogame sucks and beating up or shooting a million mooks over and over again is really boring

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

the combat in almost every videogame sucks and beating up or shooting a million mooks over and over again is really boring

Thats why I only play the most dangerous game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Metal Gear also has all the story a game needs:

quote:

13th century
Years Events
The Chinese utilize an arrow-like device that expels gunpowder when launched, becoming the first usage of rockets in recorded history. [1]
1223 Mongol Invasion of Europe. The Mongols improve upon the earlier design of the Chinese weapons and use them frequently during the invasion. [1]
15th century
Years Events
1429–1431 French national heroine Joan of Arc leads forces into battle during the Hundred Years' War. [2]
16th century
Years Events
1502 Fourth voyage of Christopher Columbus. Columbus discovers Costa Rica around the point that Limón now stands. [2]
17th century
Years Events
1620 The Mayflower sails from Plymouth, England, to North America. [3]
etc

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Looking back, the Legacy of Kain games are probably my favorite ongoing game story, and while I'm sad it never got a proper final entry, I'm glad it never got handed over to some no-name studio to gently caress it up.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 21, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

Looking back, the Legacy of Kain games are probably my favorite ongoing game story, and while I've sad it never got a proper final entry, I'm glad it never got handed over to some no-name studio to gently caress it up.

Sounds like someone didnt play Nosgoth

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

Sounds like someone didnt play Nosgoth

By the looks of it, no one did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the best video game story is mega man legends because it's an excuse to kill giant robots and also a major plot reveal occurs when the main character realizes that he is literate