Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Actually up through New Adventures. Which I think I'm the only one who has nostalgia for

Ah ok, though if Revelation is a sequel to the 80’s series I wonder if that means New Adventures isn’t canon anymore.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

haha, this seems pretty great. if the soundtrack is anything like the trailer then consider me sold right from the start

hopefully this is better than the 2002 series

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

kidcoelacanth posted:

If we're going by the Powerpuff analogue, green would be strength and pink would be wit :eng101:

I mean obviously it's not a 1:1 translation of the PPG archetypes. I was making a separate point about the colours for strength/heart being inverted, seeing how those traits are often gendered in media, same as pink and blue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

haha, this seems pretty great. if the soundtrack is anything like the trailer then consider me sold right from the start

hopefully this is better than the 2002 series

Kevin Smith apparently said yesterday this show is more a 'spiritual sequel' than a literal one (meaning Revelation is kind of a semi-reboot as well)

I assume we still don’t have a release date for the CGI series yet?

Also I heard that Revelation is apparently going to be a limited 10 episode series in total (split into two sets of 5 episodes)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 11, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I would rather have had Dreamworks handle it again (though that might be impossible at this point since they’ve gone over to Hulu), from what I can find the staff behind the upcoming CGI He-Man show seem to have a pretty good track record for the most part so I hope they won’t be afraid to take a few risks with the brand.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

drrockso20 posted:

He is though
No he's not

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean obviously it's not a 1:1 translation of the PPG archetypes. I was making a separate point about the colours for strength/heart being inverted, seeing how those traits are often gendered in media, same as pink and blue.

And figure at least part of that is deliberate to avoid copyright issues stemming from appearing to crib too much from the Powerpuff Girls.

If it was me, I'd probably have coded it as:

Pink = Heart

Blue = Wits

Green = Strength

But it's not me and I'm fine with how it works in the show. Plus I'm really looking forward to to some kind of "Rainbow Trifecta of Badass Girlpower" at some point.

Also I just caught the episode of Gravity Falls with the unicorns. And I really want some kind of Amphibia version of the Wendy Manifesto:

Wendy: "We're not perfect. We're crazed, angry, sweaty animals! We're women! And we take what we want!"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

With the newest Owl House episodes one of my favourite aspects that I did not see coming was Lilith and hooty becoming BFFs. That's a funny dynamic.

Downside: no Amity content yet

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Open Source Idiom posted:

That was never going to happen. Cartoons did their bit by occasionally grudgingly accepting same sex attracted women and now injustice is over.

I'm going to be honest, I feel like trying to make a He-Man adaptation without any LGBTQ representation or at least homoerotic undertones is completely missing one of the core aspects of the franchise.

This isn't even me trying to make a joke or anything, despite a lot of pop culture portrayals of He-Man's sexuality being rooted in homophobic jokes, the franchise has pretty much always had a solid contingent of LGBTQ fans. This is to the point that I don't think the Masters of the Universe franchise would have had the same level of longevity if it didn't have a cult LGBTQ following in addition to its original intended audience. Give us a gay He-Man, cowards!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which is why I’m hoping the upcoming CGI reboot (that is, the one that isn’t Revelation) won’t be afraid to take a few risks with the brand the way SPoP did (and based on their resumes a lot of the staff working on it has done some decent work in the animation industry in the past),

I still kind of wish Dreamworks had gotten another chance at the franchise but I’m willing to give the new guys a chance as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I mean, it wouldn’t be hard, there’s only like, 3 female characters? Everyone else is male and in a gay relationship. :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gently caress it, the entire cast is LGBTQ this time around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Smith’s brother is gay, and he’s always put gay content in his works so that his brother feels represented. It’s not out of the question that’ll carry over to He-Man, honestly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Smith’s brother is gay, and he’s always put gay content in his works so that his brother feels represented. It’s not out of the question that’ll carry over to He-Man, honestly.

Revelation is apparently only going to be a 10 episode one-shot so there might not be much time for that (still possible though)

The CGI reboot that’s coming afterwards from a different team will be longer though so there’s possibly some hope there at least.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fabulous secret powers.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Animal-Mother posted:

The Pirates of Dark Water needs a reboot. :colbert:

I was saying this elsewhere recently. Pirates of Dark Water was a series that had a serialized narrative, a primary cast entirely composed of PoC, a dark aesthetic and premise, and an imaginative alien setting. And it was all these things in the 90s. If it'd come out twenty years later, it probably would've been a smash hit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ironslave posted:

I was saying this elsewhere recently. Pirates of Dark Water was a series that had a serialized narrative, a primary cast entirely composed of PoC, a dark aesthetic and premise, and an imaginative alien setting. And it was all these things in the 90s. If it'd come out twenty years later, it probably would've been a smash hit.

It was basically Ted Turner's dream project, he expected it to light a fire in kids and get them super concerned about environmentalism.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Madurai posted:

Downside: no Amity content yet

Next episode. Also, Episode five description includes: Luz and Amity journey into the most dangerous section of the library. So, probable cute romance times then

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironslave posted:

Yeah, it was actually one of the first serialized western cartoons to my knowledge. A pity it never got a proper ending as far as I recall though.

So yeah, they should bring that back one day too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was there an Owl House thread? I don't think so, but.

Something they didn't bring up before, but it still makes sense, that Luz can't safely eat a lot of common Boiling Isles food, especially the stuff that Eda is used to- given she can detach and reattach limbs with ease, I imagine she can handle a lot of stuff dangerous even to regular Boiling Isles native. And given how alien the Boiling Isles is, with only limited overlap with Earth's ecosphere, human-safe foods are likely niche and expensive, being hard to grow and/or of little interest to the majority of locals.

Emperor Belos going 'I see you, human' while looking right at the camera seems like it's not necessarily directed at Luz...

Second episode of the season seems to illustrate why Luz goes to Hexside in addition to getting tutoring from Eda; she's willing to put in the work to learn the basics as well as experiment in freeform, and she's wise enough to understand the value of doing both in tandem. The student becoming the teacher is cute, but also says a lot about Eda and Lillith; Eda being a gifted magical prodigy whose magic was hobbled and is now totally unavailable means she's not used to having to work hard on the basics, basically making it the old familiar story of the 'gifted' child who hits a wall when they actually need to work hard because they were never taught how. On the other hand, Lillith being a teacher's pet desperate for approval explains a lot how she became the Emperor's Coven literal poster girl, and she's taking her loss of status hard. On the other hand, her being new to glyph magic means she makes insights on it that not even Eda and Luz did; she looks at a system she doesn't have preconceptions of and tries to figure out how it works. Interestingly, her description of glyphs from her perspective and the way combining them works makes them sound a bit likely a programming language.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Couple of new details from Kevin regarding Revelation:

-There will be an intro sequence that gives new audiences a backstory, the theme is described as 'sofa king metal'

-The first five episodes will be homages to movies from the 1980s:
Episode One: Superman II
Episode Two: Temple of Doom
Episode Three: Batman '89
Epiosde Four: HellRaizer
Episode Five: Masters of the Universe (presumably the cliff-hanger is Skeletor becomes a god like he does in the movie)

-Smith defended the allegations that the show will be 'woke', citing that it's no less 'woke' than the original, pointing out Teela and Evil-Lyn always had agency, and The Sorceress was always the most powerful character on the show

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

It was basically Ted Turner's dream project, he expected it to light a fire in kids and get them super concerned about environmentalism.

I thought that was Captain Planet

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

This is such a bizarre defence. It doesn't really satisfy those who don't want change, since it's asking those fans to re-examine the original show and their own prejudices. And it doesn't satisfy anyone who's remotely progressive, since it's arguing that the new show is about as progressive as it's ever been.

I mean, it's Kevin Smith tho, what you gonna expect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eh, he's pretty much hit the nail on the head that 'woke' has come to mean 'female and non-white characters have agency' as far as the people actually using the word nowadays are concerned.

If anything it was a step back when people started making fun of a guy who wears pink, and has a rainbow transformation that turns him into a shirtless hunk, without the slightest mote of shame, for not being masculine enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Plus, Smith’s brother is gay and he usually pays some tribute to him in a lot of his works

Also I wonder how many of the male fans endlessly bitching about SPoP actually watched the original version/bought the toys when they were younger (and if they were made fun of/made fun of others for doing so)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

Plus, Smith’s brother is gay and he usually pays some tribute to him in a lot of his works

Also I wonder how many of the male fans endlessly bitching about SPoP actually watched the original version/bought the toys when they were younger (and if they were made fun of/made fun of others for doing so)

None. The answer is none.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

None. The answer is none.

Probably true, which honestly just makes the backlash even funnier

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
"If we were doing it today and if I had any say in it, we absolutely would introduce a gay character."

Oh my, what's this quote from a 2011 interview* with Erika Scheimer (Daughter of She-Ra producer Lou Scheimer who also provided a number of additional voices for the original She-Ra cartoon and publicly came out in 2007) doing here? The backlash to the new She-Ra cartoon is especially ironic to me as, according to interviews and comments from people who worked on the original show, She-Ra was always intended to be some degree of "woke" with making She-Ra a positive role model for young girls being a primary concern in the creation of the original series.

And that's the thing about the current breed of nerd-reactionaries: A lot of the entertainment of the era they lionize had progressive messages and elements that they'd scoff at if it cropped up in a newly released series, they just didn't pick up on these elements because they were dumb kids when they watched this stuff.

* - The original interview unfortunately appears to have fallen off the internet, but could probably be found via the Wayback by someone with more dedication to internet archaeology than I.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, both the original shows were bursting with queer vibes. They were relentlessly positive messages about friendship and affirmation covered with pastel, rainbows and sparkles, and both shows did always have central, powerful women. One of He-Man's main dramatic beats (insofar as the show had those) is that the captain of the guard, Teela, thinks Adam is a soft aristocrat who needs her to protect him, so she's constantly getting into fights with the bad guys while Adam runs off to find a fantasy phone booth to change into He-Man in.

And in She-Ra, of course She-Ra herself is a ridiculously powerful presence who (in uncomplicated 80s action figure cartoon fashion) has absolutely no self-doubt or limitations on her powers and just effortlessly resolves most problems with her super-strength and magic sword. It was all goofy, simple stuff, but for the most part it was pretty committed to positive messages about equality and acceptance in the same way that a lot of 80s cartoons were.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SPoP Adora was humanized a bit in that regard though (having a lot more self-doubt in her, making mistakes, and basically having to learn how to be a hero as the show went on), which I kind of liked honestly.

I hope they do the same for Adam in the CGI reboot as well.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I liked She-Ra so I'm really looking forward to this. I heard He-Man himself is barely in it which I hope isn't true because I love the character. He's like the primeval himbo

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

😩🥵

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

And that's the thing about the current breed of nerd-reactionaries: A lot of the entertainment of the era they lionize had progressive messages and elements that they'd scoff at if it cropped up in a newly released series, they just didn't pick up on these elements because they were dumb kids when they watched this stuff.

I think it's worse tbh. They've ossified. They can't cope with anything more challenging than what an 80's kids show threw at them.

So queer vibes are kind of okay, and women being exactly like in the 80's is ameliorating. Being more woke than the original show, aka, actually being woke*, is a bridge further and up with that they shall not put.

*I'm not dismissing the original show so much as saying that it doesn't fully satisfy the requirements for "wokeness" as defined by a contemporary context, any more than something like Blake's 7, Lexx, Farscape, etc. etc. could possibly be woke.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was there an Owl House thread? I don't think so, but.

Something they didn't bring up before, but it still makes sense, that Luz can't safely eat a lot of common Boiling Isles food, especially the stuff that Eda is used to- given she can detach and reattach limbs with ease, I imagine she can handle a lot of stuff dangerous even to regular Boiling Isles native. And given how alien the Boiling Isles is, with only limited overlap with Earth's ecosphere, human-safe foods are likely niche and expensive, being hard to grow and/or of little interest to the majority of locals.

Emperor Belos going 'I see you, human' while looking right at the camera seems like it's not necessarily directed at Luz...

Second episode of the season seems to illustrate why Luz goes to Hexside in addition to getting tutoring from Eda; she's willing to put in the work to learn the basics as well as experiment in freeform, and she's wise enough to understand the value of doing both in tandem. The student becoming the teacher is cute, but also says a lot about Eda and Lillith; Eda being a gifted magical prodigy whose magic was hobbled and is now totally unavailable means she's not used to having to work hard on the basics, basically making it the old familiar story of the 'gifted' child who hits a wall when they actually need to work hard because they were never taught how. On the other hand, Lillith being a teacher's pet desperate for approval explains a lot how she became the Emperor's Coven literal poster girl, and she's taking her loss of status hard. On the other hand, her being new to glyph magic means she makes insights on it that not even Eda and Luz did; she looks at a system she doesn't have preconceptions of and tries to figure out how it works. Interestingly, her description of glyphs from her perspective and the way combining them works makes them sound a bit likely a programming language.

Figure that the partnership of Eda, Lilith and Luz will kind of feed on itself with Lilith's ability to structure things, Eda's weird knowledge and Luz's creativity likely making Glyph magic much more powerful than regular magic which is powered (and this limited) by magic bile. The bit about programming kind of reminds me of Rick Cook's books.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One other criticism I see regarding SPoP is that the relationship between Adora and Catra could be seen as a bit toxic from certain angles (which to be fair, is a slightly more legitimate complaint in my opinion) and the latter did almost destroy reality at one point and at least indirectly lead to the death of Glimmer’s mom as a result.

Regardless, I still liked that the characters were a lot more three dimensional this time around (particularly Adora herself as I mentioned before).

I will admit to liking 80’s Razz’s design a bit better overall though (I wish they’d at least kept the witch hat with eyes she had) and Hordak himself stayed basically the same aside from a bit of additional depth. But overall I still largely prefer the SPoP designs/personalities over the originals for the most part.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 13, 2021

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think it's worse tbh. They've ossified. They can't cope with anything more challenging than what an 80's kids show threw at them.

So queer vibes are kind of okay, and women being exactly like in the 80's is ameliorating. Being more woke than the original show, aka, actually being woke*, is a bridge further and up with that they shall not put.

*I'm not dismissing the original show so much as saying that it doesn't fully satisfy the requirements for "wokeness" as defined by a contemporary context, any more than something like Blake's 7, Lexx, Farscape, etc. etc. could possibly be woke.

I totally agree, but I also think these people are now so dedicated to reacting that if a show with the tonality of (say) Captain Planet came out today, they'd consider it woke for having a woman who does things, people of colour in the cast, an environmentalist message, being anti-corporate greed, etc.

A lot of stuff from the actual 80s and 90s wouldn't pass their sniff test if it was presented as something modern - I really think the dedication to (and the associated content mill for) churning out regressive takes about how the wokes are ruining everything has become so fundamental to their view of modern culture that it's borderline automatic at this point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finished watching Scooby Doo Mystery Inc, and really enjoyed it, especially how bonkers the ending got. I liked the recurring ideas like (heavy spoilers)the cyclical nature of Mystery Inc, and the fact that the prior incarnation of the team had become the worst possible versions of themselves, like the slacker Ricky becoming an obese, greasy, reclusive mess of social issues; Fred's parents going from the "Charming pretty couple" of the team to still charming, but in a more disarming and untrustworthy way; and Cassidy being left lonely not through being the misunderstood nerd of the group but being so duplicitous she lost the trust of everyone in her life.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Larryb posted:

One other criticism I see regarding SPoP is that the relationship between Adora and Catra could be seen as a bit toxic from certain angles (which to be fair, is a slightly more legitimate complaint in my opinion) and the latter did almost destroy reality at one point and at least indirectly lead to the death of Glimmer’s mom as a result.

Like, slightly. But it's also very Lily Orchid "Enemies to lovers is inherently evil" nonsense.

She-Ra uses the genre framework of revolutionary conflict and space opera as a metaphor/staging ground for very adolescent/young adult personal drama. Hence the prom episode and the way Catra and Adora interact.

There are tone issues that result from this IMO, but it's not an invalid approach to storytelling. It's not literal - the stakes are fluid and not-to-scale. Horde Prime is a fascist, but there are petty fascists in small towns too.

To reiterate: the small-town, low-stakes personal betrayal/mean girl stuff with Catra and Adora is adapted, as if by a gearbox, against the Big Deal War stuff. The drama is not 1:1, but it is similar. Many critics of She-Ra can't see this as anything other than literal, and therefore tone-deaf/evil/problematic.

Personally I think that gearbox could use a little more grease, and also the first ~20 episodes aren't very well-animated and a lot of the voice cast needed time to grow as performers. Other than that? Good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agreed, though I will still admit that Catra did do some at least pretty questionable things on her road to redemption that might have been forgiven a little too easily.

SPoP isn’t a perfect show by any stretch but neither are any of the other incarnations of the franchise for that matter. It’s just a different take that doesn’t deserve nearly as much backlash in my opinion as it’s gotten in certain circles.