Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fallout 4 has an insane number of technical issues that render it unplayable. It's so badly optimized.

I completed it twice, or maybe I didn't if its unplayable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I had to download an .ini fix that turns off v-sync on level transitions or else I'd get like minute and a half load times. Other than that, alright videogame. I liked what they did with power armor.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SpacePig posted:

Level size & design aside, Yooka just wasn't very fun to play as. He felt sluggish and heavy, and I really hated controlling him. Like, go straight from playing Odyssey or even A Hat in Time and you'll see what I mean, I think. It's like trying to control an ungreased shopping cart sometimes.

e: There was a move in Banjo Kazooie where Banjo would basically jump up and let Kazooie's legs out of the bag, and then she would run around. That's something I was looking for in YL, and I don't know if something like that doesn't exist in this game, or I just didn't play long enough to unlock it.

Yeah, their version of that is Reptile Roll where Yooka rolls into a ball and Laylee runs on top of him. It's annoying and slippery to control, and the game requires you to use it in a lot of areas with ground you can't traverse on without it or timed challenges (with rings!) you can't do fast enough without it. And it depletes the energy bar constantly while you're using it. It's the loving worst.

Aside from the awful level design, the main problem with Yooka-Laylee is that they just couldn't think of anything fun for you to do. There's a ton of Pagies that require you to press a button/get a powerup/transform into a thing and go somewhere else before a timer runs out and they never fail to be annoying. The worst was in the ice world where you had to turn into the snowplow and traverse a bunch of platforms in time... And the snowplow is incredibly annoying to control already, trying to do fast, precision platforming with it is just maddening.

In general the transformations are some of the worst parts of the game, it feels like busywork and retreading areas you've already been to, but in a less fun way. The only less fun parts are the arcade games - no, wait, the quiz show sections. THOSE are the absolute loving worst.

By contrast, Mario Odyssey's captures are fun for two simple reasons - they're much quicker to do (you just throw your hat, whereas in YL you have to find the ONE person that transforms you then trek back from there) and they let you do fun things instead of making you go way slower.

Rotten Red Rod has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Apr 19, 2018

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Bethesda figured out modders will make the game for them. Hell people can say what they like I’m gonna get it anyways for that reason only

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, their version of that is Reptile Roll where Yooka rolls into a ball and Laylee runs on top of him. It's annoying and slippery to control, and the game requires you to use it in a lot of areas with ground you can't traverse on without it or timed challenges (with rings!) you can't do fast enough without it. And it depletes the energy bar constantly while you're using it. It's the loving worst.

Aside from the awful level design, the main problem with Yooka-Laylee is that they just couldn't think of anything fun for you to do. There's a ton of Pagies that require you to press a button/get a powerup/transform into a thing and go somewhere else before a timer runs out and they never fail to be annoying. The worst was in the ice world where you had to turn into the snowplow and traverse a bunch of platforms in time... And the snowplow is incredibly annoying to control already, trying to do fast, precision platforming with it is just maddening.

In general the transformations are some of the worst parts of the game, it feels like busywork and retreading areas you've already been to, but in a less fun way. The only less fun parts are the arcade games - no, wait, the quiz show sections. THOSE are the absolute loving worst.

By contrast, Mario Odyssey's captures are fun for two simple reasons - they're much quicker to do (you just throw your hat, whereas in YL you have to find the ONE person that transforms you then trek back from there) and they let you do fun things instead of making you go way slower.
Really? They made lovely controls the core of their challenge?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

maswastaken posted:

Hey, that has a long history in video games!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

maswastaken posted:

Yeah, that's basically the design philosophy of most of Yooka-Laylee.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Fallout 4 has an insane number of technical issues that render it unplayable. It's so badly optimized.

Did you play on Xbox? Might be because of the wrong type of RAM.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That roll sucked, and was almost worse than useless for world traversal. I kinda get what they were doing with it in terms of puzzle solving or contextual challenges, but it really just was a boring and useless, if visually interesting, move. I hate to keep banging on the Hat in Time drum, but Hat Kid moved quickly, had the option to have a dash if you equipped the right badge, and also had a decent number of jumping moves that got you basically anywhere you wanted to go in a pretty decent amount of time. It was exactly what people remember Rare games being, while YL was basically exactly what Banjo Kazooie felt like, but worse and not having the excuse of being on a console built in 1996.

----

On Fallout 4: I didn't have many gameplay problems, and I did really like what they did with the power armor, but it really was just a slog to play. And they could've made up for some sub-par gameplay with a decent story or setting, but didn't do either. It was just sort of a wet fart artificially padded with busywork. I liked it well enough, but I'm not in a rush to play it again like I was with New Vegas.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Hey, that has a long history in video games!

This is basically the design concept behind like 90% of horror games, yeah.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Like... none of this has poo poo all to do with kickstarters... so maybe chill out or take it to the fallout thread...

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Furia posted:

Bethesda figured out modders will make the game for them. Hell people can say what they like I’m gonna get it anyways for that reason only

In a lot of games you can toggle off head bob, which is great for reducing gaming motion sickness. In FO4 not only can you not do this, they actively exaggerate the head bob in power armor, for no loving reason. It's built in in such a way it's nearly impossible to mod out

Kharmakazy posted:

Like... none of this has poo poo all to do with kickstarters... so maybe chill out or take it to the fallout thread...

Obsidian Kickstartered Pillars of Eternity, and they also made the only good console Fallout game :smug:

But, for content's sake, have a furry platformer:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034498676/nutz-a-non-linear-2d-action-platformer?ref=recommended&ref=discovery

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Make Zombies Great Again is the beer pong of zombie shooters.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Did you play on Xbox? Might be because of the wrong type of RAM.
PC.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks good, but I like that they remember that PC sidescroller where you can aim with the mouse.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
my issue with yooka laylee was i couldnt figure out how to get to more than like 3 worlds or whatever. idk if i am too dumb for games or what

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

They eventually added sign posts to tell you where to go on the overworld, which tells you how good the design of that section is.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, that's basically the design philosophy of most of Yooka-Laylee.

The mine carts were really bad about this, as when the game came out you could only do like one input per second. Need to jump AND slow down? Good loving luck!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Starbound probably burned a lot of people too. Massively crowdfunded and mismanaged to the point it's widely considered to have gotten actively worse since the beta.
Starbound to me was just "Terraria with a different color palette, and the ability to go to another but similar map with a slightly different color palette."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Collateral Damage posted:

Starbound to me was just "Terraria with a different color palette, and the ability to go to another but similar map with a slightly different color palette."

Christ, I wish. Terraria got better, Starbound got worse.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

To be honest I haven't played either of them in quite a while and I probably don't have more than an hour or two total in Starbound, it was just my initial impression.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

To be honest I haven't played either of them in quite a while and I probably don't have more than an hour or two total in Starbound, it was just my initial impression.
You know how Terraria keeps adding new cool mobility gear?

Starbound removed existing mobility upgrades by the time of official release. There isnt' even anything like the Lucky Horseshoe to nullify falling damage in Starbound, something Terraria has had since it was first available.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Starbound was supposed to be Space Terraria In Space but Tiyuri decided that all the things that made Terraria fun were actually not fun and should be taken out. If you haven't played Terraria in a long while I'd recommend heading back to it. It has a ton more content now and they just keep adding more.

Starbound on the other hand, well...they actually removed or made useless several things that were literally selling points of the game. Procedural guns exist but are completely unusable because of both the energy system and how lovely their numbers are. The reason? Tiyuri thinks guns are stupid and not fun.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Let's make a game where you go from planet to planet finding stuff. Let's make it so your ship can't really be your base. Enjoy.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The General posted:

Let's make a game where you go from planet to planet finding stuff. Let's make it so your ship can't really be your base. Enjoy.

...No Man's Sky?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That was my thoughts on Starbound, maybe it's gotten better? But I seem to recall a real cramped ship with no real room to put anything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The General posted:

That was my thoughts on Starbound, maybe it's gotten better? But I seem to recall a real cramped ship with no real room to put anything.

It hasn't. I guess they were going to maybe possibly at some point add the option to upgrade to a bigger ship. Apparently it never happened but you can at least build teleporters and mark a home planet now.

Still a hollowed out husk that's a mere shell of what it should have been. At least it looks pretty.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It hasn't. I guess they were going to maybe possibly at some point add the option to upgrade to a bigger ship. Apparently it never happened but you can at least build teleporters and mark a home planet now.

Still a hollowed out husk that's a mere shell of what it should have been. At least it looks pretty.

It did happen, your ship can get gigantic now. It's sometimes cool, and sometimes it's the Novakid ship that just becomes a longer and taller hallway instead of having rooms.

Terraria a better game though, I still replay that from start to endgame every year or two.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
The original pitch for Broken Age was that you were paying to watch a documentary about a tiny team of seasoned game developers making a point-and-click adventure game over the course of a few months on a shoestring budget. I was really excited to see Tim Schafer make a perfect case-study of indie game development. Instead the project almost immediately blew up into a huge affair with a scope, budget, and team size that could only be raised by a real studio with some star power. Overall I was terribly disappointed in the change to the goals of the project, irrespective of anything about the game itself.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Youtuber Law looks at the legalities of failed Kickstarters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG83FB041is

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Unreal_One posted:

The mine carts were really bad about this, as when the game came out you could only do like one input per second. Need to jump AND slow down? Good loving luck!

The mine cart sections are pretty emblematic of everything wrong with Yooka-Laylee. The entire joke of the mine cart character is that no one does or likes mine cart sections anymore. Like half the jokes in the game are about how annoying the things you're supposed to do in the game are. And then the game proceeds to demonstrate WHY they're annoying. Every time Laylee was exasperated about having to do something tedious I was vocally agreeing with him. Kind of undercuts itself. Maybe, if they had done a fresh and fun take on those things, I could forgive it, but no, they're awful.

The quiz show is still the worst though. And, again, it's full of jokes about how annoying the original quiz show section was - and then it makes you do it three times. It was fine in B-K because it only happened once and it wasn't THAT bad, but I dreaded every time I had to go through the quiz shows in Y-L. The questions were wildly esoteric or character-based (with characters that were barely memorable). Just what I want in my platforming game! I ended up brute forcing most of the questions.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I prefer Starbound to Terraria specifically because you can use your ship as a traveling base and you're not forced to build, but the game doesn't have too much content. It's probably not worth more than one playthrough (unless you wanna try those fancy total conversion mods on the workshop, I guess).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Starbound lets you setup a teleporter that you can use to get to a main base pretty easily. The travel does make permanency less of a thing, though, and doesn't really do much to address it.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Good lord, this one is a train wreck:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tridynamic/the-most-special-thingin-the-world/description

The video makes no sense, the backer levels make no sense, the description makes no sense,

Going to the website that is buried in the word salad (http://tridynamic.com/ ) isn't a whole lot of help. If you drill through to the Videos section, this is apparently a custom made tricycle for people (kids?) with handicaps.

Probably a good idea, but, Jesus, the campaign just makes no sense.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CollegeCop posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tridynamic/the-most-special-thingin-the-world/description

The video makes no sense, the backer levels make no sense, the description makes no sense,

Going to the website that is buried in the word salad (http://tridynamic.com/ ) isn't a whole lot of help. If you drill through to the Videos section, this is apparently a custom made tricycle for people (kids?) with handicaps.

What the gently caress

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

CollegeCop posted:

I want to dedicate my life to figuring out what the gently caress is going on here.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
They've completely failed three times before and probably don't understand that the campaign page is impenetrable and nobody is going to give money to things they can't understand.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Elysiume posted:

Fire them all then sell the IP to a different studio.

Or just have a different studio make a good post apocalyptic open world shooter, there really isn't all that much Fallout IP.

Avalanche did a good job on Mad Max. Good explosions, brutal melee combat, and an open world of moderate but sufficient depth.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CollegeCop posted:

This is really something

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CollegeCop posted:

I think it's supposed to be both for the larger trike for handicapped adults, and some sort of mandatory design change in kids toys to keep them falling over as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

As far as I can tell the product itself is a tricycle with a better seat and a rear wheel to stabilize it and prevent it falling over. The real mystery is the fuckin text.