Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

EwokEntourage posted:

Is your communications with the other party in writing?

So far. No money has exchanged hands yet and I'm trying to keep it that way while still finding an apartment in a stupidly hot market.

SubCrid TC posted:

Check your local tenancy laws? Where I am, giving the landlord a security deposit is the start of your tenancy. If you had proof that you'd paid it and they accepted it, you would have all the normal tenancy rights.

Didn't see anything--there are virtually no tenant laws there. And only 15 days notice is legally required to terminate the lease if it's month-to-month or indefinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Listing an apartment you don't even own on Craigslist, taking multiple deposits from multiple people, and then disappearing, leaving multiple people to show up and be left to figure out an emergency living situation, is a common scam. I hope that's not what is happening to you.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I plan to write an invitation letter for a friend from Nigeria to visit the US. The stated purpose of her visit is tourism, but the real reason is to have a baby. She will not be overstaying her visa time. Are there any consequences for this on my end?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I don't have an answer for that and I am not a lawyer, but I do want to say that your question inspired me to look up Birth Tourism on Wikipedia and hoo mama is that a slanted article

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
When we say deposit, do you mean the 50-100 dollar app fee commonly charged in the bay area or like first month's rent.

Re: immigration tourism, if you write a false letter, that is probably a crime.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nm posted:

Re: immigration tourism, if you write a false letter, that is probably a crime.
This is what I'm writing:

quote:

United States Embassy
1075 Diplomatic Dr.
Abuja, Nigeria

To whom it may concern:

My name is [name]. I am a woodworker and graduate student in [place], and have lived here all my life. I would like to invite my friend, [name], to visit the [place] area as a tourist for a period of one month. She would stay with me and I would be responsible for her tourism-related costs incurred while she is here. She will pre-purchase round-trip airfare and health insurance before her arrival. I will personally make sure she does not overstay her visa, and that she will abide by all US laws, federal and local. I respectfully ask for [name] to be granted a visa to visit the United States.

Sincerely,

[name]

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

the littlest prince posted:

Listing an apartment you don't even own on Craigslist, taking multiple deposits from multiple people, and then disappearing, leaving multiple people to show up and be left to figure out an emergency living situation, is a common scam. I hope that's not what is happening to you.

Yeah, definitely trying to avoid being scammed. Luckily, my sister lives nearby and can check it out in person.

nm posted:

When we say deposit, do you mean the 50-100 dollar app fee commonly charged in the bay area or like first month's rent.

$900 security deposit. Not giving anyone first month's rent until there's a signed lease. I really want the place and the market is crazy hot, but I also don't want to lose $900 because I let my emotions override my brain.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Brennanite posted:

Yeah, definitely trying to avoid being scammed. Luckily, my sister lives nearby and can check it out in person.

$900 security deposit. Not giving anyone first month's rent until there's a signed lease. I really want the place and the market is crazy hot, but I also don't want to lose $900 because I let my emotions override my brain.

Put it on a credit card, charge back if a scam?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Mandingo posted:

Put it on a credit card, charge back if a scam?

Not a bad plan. Anyone at all can take a credit card these days, all you need is paypal. If they can't get a paypal account, they're probably too shady to do business with, as that is the lowest of low bars.

On the other hand (and I've seen this myself while trying to move across the country to a landlord's market) the moment you at all become a hassle is the moment they stop bothering to contact you because they have people in person begging to rent from them. It meant that when we drove 3700 miles from AK to IA, we weren't able to secure a place to live before we left on the road trip, and were literally homeless when we got there. Fortunately we had a friend with some land to park our trailer on, and then we just camped out for a couple weeks (in an actual campground, at least) while we looked for a place, which wasn't so bad because we'd been camping the entire trip anyhow.

I guess what I'm saying is, good luck, and you may find you just have to accept less desirable conditions, like a hotel or whatever for a week while you find a place to rent.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 2, 2016

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Aliquid posted:

You have a hell of an appetite for risk.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Aliquid posted:

You are insane and, while I don't feel competent to link it to statutes, almost certainly committing a few federal crimes of the indictable variety if you actually send that letter.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

IANAL but I do work in immigration, and we would generally advise people not to lie to the government or attempt to knowingly mislead the consulate about a petition. Will the consular officer in Nigeria decide to make an issue out of it for you? I dunno, but why on earth would you take that chance?

Also, if I am understanding this situation, it is revolving around the plan of a woman in her third term applying to enter the US for a month as a tourist? Do you think that the officer is not going to question that? Nigeria is a notoriously harsh post because they get a lot of fraud, I would expect they would deny her in minutes.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Spacewolf posted:

You are insane and, while I don't feel competent to link it to statutes, almost certainly committing a few federal crimes of the indictable variety if you actually send that letter.

18 USC 1546 plus conspiracy. Federal felony.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
That sounds about right. So, Aliquid, how's 10 years in a federal penitentiary sound to you?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Spacewolf posted:

That sounds about right. So, Aliquid, how's 10 years in a federal penitentiary sound to you?

Thanks for the advice guys, but I'm going to keep digging a little bit more and see if that helps me get out of this well.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Aliquid, if you're being blackmailed into this there is another way

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
International Printer-Carrying Goon.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You know, even if you get her over here, she's not ACTUALLY a princess and you're not going to get $100k of however many millions she's claiming.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aliquid posted:

That sounds really well written. Is that something you just came up with or did you copy that from a template or something?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Because 8+ month pregnant people often fly 10 hours for tourism. Nothing suspicious here! Couldn't possibly come up at the visa interview.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

fordan posted:

Because 8+ month pregnant people often fly 10 hours for tourism. Nothing suspicious here! Couldn't possibly come up at the visa interview.

And even if they do get the visa they're totally always allowed on the plane afterwards because all airlines know that a medical emergency while flying over the Atlantic is a thing they shouldn't be preventing!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Aren't the grounds of a US Embassy sovereign US Soil? Make sure she has the baby in the middle of the visa interview, and that solves all your problems, and saves the cost of the ticket.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

She should take a boat over instead of a plane. That way, there's a chance the baby will be born in international waters and thus will not be subject to the laws of any nation!

Heaven forbid the baby is born in port, though. Then it'd have to get an actual berth certificate.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

She should take a boat over instead of a plane. That way, there's a chance the baby will be born in international waters and thus will not be subject to the laws of any nation!

Heaven forbid the baby is born in port, though. Then it'd have to get an actual berth certificate.

Wouldn't it be born with a gold fringe?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Won't they deny her entry into the country anyway? I've heard that airlines usually don't allow pregnant women in their late term to enter the country when the birth would be too close to when they're in the country. I think the last big news story where it happened they held the child at the hospital, shipped the woman back to china and sent the baby over later when they were deemed healthy enough to.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Does FedEx handle baby shipments? Or is this a DHL job? Do they get a seat or cargo space?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Won't they deny her entry into the country anyway? I've heard that airlines usually don't allow pregnant women in their late term to enter the country when the birth would be too close to when they're in the country. I think the last big news story where it happened they held the child at the hospital, shipped the woman back to china and sent the baby over later when they were deemed healthy enough to.

If you give birth in the airport it counts.
This sounds like a shitstorm OP. My legal advice is to run away.

My goon advice is to do it all and report on it step by step. Get your mom an account so she can post for you from prison until you can get a phone smuggled in.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

My lawyer is a bum I think.

I had a debt collector contact my personal injury lawyer about a medical bill for $120, and he rats me out by saying "yeah it's probably legit." He apparently didn't attempt to deny that I owe the money.

At what point can I ask my lawyer for my money back?
This dude has given me enough reason to I think. In that he hasn't done hardly anything for me. Like he's not gonna pursue a civil lawsuit, he's not helping me with debt collectors. One of my debts is even owned by the collection agency he's the president of, and I asked him to remove it (it's a whopping $29), and it's still showing on my credit report more than a month later. :shrug:

e: pretty much all he's done is take a big chunk of my insurance settlement. did I really need a lawyer to receive my insurance check in the mail?? Like i could have done that.

e2: when does this become negligence is basically what I'm asking

Baxate fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 3, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Alright, alright, y'all win. I didn't give a poo poo what risks she would be taking on her end; that's her deal. If it's actually a crime for me to assist her, I'm out. I wasn't being scammed, just turning in a favor for when I lived in Nigeria for a year and she and her sister saved my rear end more than once.

The plan was roughly this: her visa interview is on March 7. She found out she was pregnant just two months ago and would fly in around June. She'd live with her sister, a grad student in the US, for the months it took to pop. I was probably loving up by using the 1 month time frame, since Nigeria-US tourist visas last two years.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 3, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
/\ /\ /\ /\
She should have told you less and/or you should have talked to an attorney first.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

My lawyer is a bum I think.

I had a debt collector contact my personal injury lawyer about a medical bill for $120, and he rats me out by saying "yeah it's probably legit." He apparently didn't attempt to deny that I owe the money.

At what point can I ask my lawyer for my money back?
This dude has given me enough reason to I think. In that he hasn't done hardly anything for me. Like he's not gonna pursue a civil lawsuit, he's not helping me with debt collectors. One of my debts is even owned by the collection agency he's the president of, and I asked him to remove it (it's a whopping $29), and it's still showing on my credit report more than a month later. :shrug:

e: pretty much all he's done is take a big chunk of my insurance settlement. did I really need a lawyer to receive my insurance check in the mail?? Like i could have done that.

e2: when does this become negligence is basically what I'm asking

Is the lawyer representing you on the PI case or are you paying him to represent you in your debt collection cases?
It sounds like there's some confusion about the scope of the lawyer's representation.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 3, 2016

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

joat mon posted:

Is the lawyer representing you on the PI case or are you paying him to represent you in your debt collection cases?
It sounds like there's some confusion about the scope of the lawyer's representation.

Yeah he's representing me on the PI case, but the debt collection pertains to medical bills incurred because of the PI.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah he's representing me on the PI case, but the debt collection pertains to medical bills incurred because of the PI.

What does your written contract with the attorney say with regard to him paying your medical bills and representing you in your debt collection cases?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm in the Philly / SE Pennsylvania area.

Does anyone have any experience/interaction with the law firm Elliott Greenleaf? That name came up during something at work and I'm curious to know what their reputation is

asking for a friend

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

joat mon posted:

What does your written contract with the attorney say with regard to him paying your medical bills and representing you in your debt collection cases?

I actually don't know this because my family hired him while I was comatose in the hospital. Also I don't remember if I might have signed anything when I got out of the hospital agreeing to be represented by him. I could try to find out, but if I did sign anything it would have seemed like a formality at the time because he had already started on my case by that point.

I assume the agreement wasn't for him to pay my medical bills if I understand you correctly. But I would assume he'd represent me against any creditors because of my injury. And I had been giving him copies of my medical bills. I doubt he actually looks at them, but I've seen he has all that stuff stashed away in a cabinet.

I would hope the agreement was more substantial than "I'll receive your settlement check in the mail and hand it to you after taking my cut"

e: specifically, the injury was from an auto accident (a DUI case, so criminal too). So I got a settlement check from the guy's Geico policy who hit me. And I got one from my insurance company for underinsured driver because his Geico policy was the bare minimum allowed in Illinois. I don't imagine it took much palm greasing to get the money from them.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 3, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

$120

$120 really. Like, lawyers don't even see this amount of money.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

$120

$120 really. Like, lawyers don't even see this amount of money.

Yep, but since this was part of a larger case I figured I'd send the collector to my lawyer and he'd jerk them around enough to get them to give up, but nah he just ratted me out right away.

(Also his own collection agency is still trying to collect $29 from me)

I'll bring the $29 up to him again. Maybe he forgot to actually remove it?
I'd say if it's not removed soonish though, there's probably something to be said for fiduciary duty.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 3, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do you owe the companies the 120 and 29 dollars?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Same question

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's an important question, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Most likely, but I'm of the opinion that that's for the courts to decide.

But am I wrong in believing that there is a betrayal of fiduciary duty if my own attorney is trying to collect on a debt in the case he's supposedly representing me for? Either he should forgive the debt or excuse himself from my case.