Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Geostomp posted:

https://youtu.be/WnwQ_aKGXBE

New trailer.

We learn what the creepy skull potatoes do, the new girl’s arcana (Faith), see more grappling hook action and more.

Most importantly, guns are actually useful now because your imaginary ammo replenishes after battle!

Yessss! I can finally go ham on my Haru gun-heavy build that i've always dreamed of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Nice! Gun ammo for me always fell into that old RPG player problem that most items fall into of "I can't use this now, what if I need it later?!" Good to know I can get a little more crazy this time around

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oooh, that might need rebalancing. I actually picked up one of the DLC that returns one bullet after each fight and the back half of the game becomes "Haru and her cleanup cronies"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Flytrap posted:

Oooh, that might need rebalancing. I actually picked up one of the DLC that returns one bullet after each fight and the back half of the game becomes "Haru and her cleanup cronies"

You say that like it's a bad thing

Honestly there's enough broken strategies in P5 to where I don't mind this. If I'm not doing this, I'd just be doing the Triple Down Crit build anyways so this will give me a reason to care about guns. Its cool that theyre doing both this and gun customization expansion because I never customized a gun once in any of my playthroughs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The main thing that will definitely have to be rebalanced is the Down Shot.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Eh, Down Shot isn't *that bad* compared to Miracle Punch/One Shot Kill at the Luck levels you have at that point.

Without changes, it will make Kamoshida and Madarame's palaces easier to one day/grind resources, with Kamoshida's significantly so. Ann will be a little worse, as she's currently great for Baton Passing to on the last enemy with her large stock of bullets, but at that time it's not like you can switch party members anyway. Depending on how many bullets per encounter you get, it might be a wash for her if she can afford to spray into a group to hit a week.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I imagine they'll probably reduce Ann and Yusuke's total bullets if nothing else.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
They should balance SP management. It's difficult in the beginning and a non-issue in the end.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
That's kinda every RPG tho

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
https://youtu.be/mzBw8Gcp5vU

More trailer. This time with details about Kasumi. Her arcana is Faith, her persona does bless and physical skills, and her Confidant gives Joker even more ridiculous acrobatics and grappling hook moves.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really hope they don't try to change it so you can redeem Akechi :ohdear:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well with a bless user in the party he's now totally redundant... (I'm counting Joker as a curse user for the purpose of this argument because of Arsene being his starter)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TwoPair posted:

Well with a bless user in the party he's now totally redundant... (I'm counting Joker as a curse user for the purpose of this argument because of Arsene being his starter)

P3 and P4 both had characters who shared elements. Junpei/Koromaru, Chie/Teddie etc

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I hope kamoshida breaks the gymnast's legs as well.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

TwoPair posted:

Implying Akechi won't rejoin with Loki and curse skills.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Akechi is really just the Mark Millar lovely bootleg version of Jun from Persona 2

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 15, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I saw mention that Kasumi's tarot card has black text and is torn up.

Anyone want to make a guess at what that means? Secret villain, actually a Persona/Shadow, someone you have to redeem?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CJ posted:

I saw mention that Kasumi's tarot card has black text and is torn up.

Anyone want to make a guess at what that means? Secret villain, actually a Persona/Shadow, someone you have to redeem?

We know she hates the thieves before joining them. Maybe she's a secondary antagonist or has a palace before she joins up.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm gonna guess that the new palace, and the stuff with Futaba's mom and human Morgana, will be a products of Kasumi's cognition and some entity acting as her "fairy godmother".
Maybe her arcana will change when Cendrillon changes to the awakened form and/or when the palace is dealt with.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Thinking about the time frame, three months is definitely time enough for two palaces and then maybe a special final mementos-style thing you do in one day

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I love Persona 5 and will get this but drat, if there is really that much more content this game is going to go on forever. I hope with all these changes they fix the texting and remove lots of the repeated texts.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's going to be even more chat threads of the thieves back and forthing on "are we really doing the right thing???" before Joker says "yes shut up" and you're going to like it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sydin posted:

There's going to be even more chat threads of the thieves back and forthing on "are we really doing the right thing???" before Joker brainwashes them into submitting and you're going to like it.

Let's be real this is what Joker would do.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

IceBorg posted:

Implying Akechi won't rejoin with Loki and curse skills.

What Akechi brings is that it's all but certain he's a wild card. Which means he can could head up a squad himself. Which means you could split up the party into two squads for any dungeon(s) made to accommodate this. Which means it would then be Suikoden- or Final Fantasy VI-O'Clock.

How long has it been since I've been able to do this in a true RPG?

Too long.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Onomarchus posted:

What Akechi brings is that it's all but certain he's a wild card. Which means he can could head up a squad himself. Which means you could split up the party into two squads for any dungeon(s) made to accommodate this. Which means it would then be Suikoden- or Final Fantasy VI-O'Clock.

How long has it been since I've been able to do this in a true RPG?

Too long.

Yes, but Akechi is a stunted Wild Card who never got into the Velvet Room or had a single meaningful relationship outside of the guy he was determined to kill out of sheer jealousy. He’s also questionably sane. So he’s probably not leadership material.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gulping Again posted:

Akechi is really just the Mark Millar lovely bootleg version of Jun from Persona 2

The more I think about it, the more you're right. Daddy issues, a person close to him dying spurning him to take revenge on the one he blames for it, ends up manipulated by his "father" into becoming a tool for his plans, uses a mysterious power granted to him to mess with the public's perception. There's lots of elements from Jun that Akechi tries to do.

At least Jun fully believed he was helping others by granting their wishes. And when the party finally saves him and makes him come to his senses, Jun never lets himself forget that he caused a ton of pain and death and works to stop Nyarly's plans in hopes of atoning for his sins.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It makes sense considering that a lot of P5's characters are just old characters split into two. Makoto and Haru is Mitsuru, Yusuke and Akechi is Jun, Ann and Ryuji is Lisa etc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akechi was supposed to be commentary on japan's treatment of orphaned children/a cautionary tale of what could happen to society if the people it marginalizes gain the power to strike back after a lifetime of being told they'll never have better things, but atlus predictably slammed the brakes on that before they got too close to saying "violence against a regressive state is acceptable"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 16, 2019

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Oxxidation posted:

akechi was supposed to be commentary on japan's treatment of orphaned children/a cautionary tale of what could happen to society if the people it marginalizes gain the power to strike back after a lifetime of being told they'll never have better things, but atlus predictably slammed the brakes on that before they got too close to saying "violence against a regressive state is acceptable"

They didn’t even need to do that, all they had to do was go all in on the “if you treat people badly then it will come back to bite you because these marginalized people will not disappear if you just ignore them, so basic human dignity for all is a good idea.” But then they completely glossed over Akechi’s problems and the social issues driving him because of how badly they mishandled that confidant. You’re supposed to understand the confidant better but we didn’t know jack about Akechi until they shoved it all in at the end.

They should have had better pacing on his SL and should have been braver about naming the problem. If they couldn’t do it due to their own restrictions in society and because their boss was breathing down their neck going “do not do this thing” then okay. But at least take it out if that’s the case because getting a half baked poo poo is a lot more insulting then getting nothing at all imo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't even know how you would say with any sort of certainty that Akechi's backstory is supposed to explicitly be about Japan's orphan problem because it's conveyed so poorly. His never even mentions the system itself, he's mad at Shido for being a lovely dad. That entire post seems more like wild speculation than anything else

for all the talk of "Goro is some sort of revolutionary," he's really not that smart. He's got a stupid plan about getting back at his dad and it doesn't even work

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 17, 2019

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't even know how you would say with any sort of certainty that Akechi's backstory is supposed to explicitly be about Japan's orphan problem because it's conveyed so poorly. His never even mentions the system itself, he's mad at Shido for being a lovely dad. That entire post seems more like wild speculation than anything else

for all the talk of "Goro is some sort of revolutionary," he's really not that smart. He's got a stupid plan about getting back at his dad and it doesn't even work

His plan is very explicitly idiotic and there was nothing keeping him from going in and making Shido poo poo himself to death the day he learned his name other than his devotion to his deeply terrible and overly elaborate revenge plan.

Like I said, Mark Millar version of Jun. That kind of contrived bullshit is the most Mark Millar poo poo imaginable

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 17, 2019

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

It is painfully, laughably, impossibly contrived, but it was necessary to make the plot of the game work. I can't think of a worse revenge plan than giving the target of your revenge exactly what he wants for months/years while you kill countless people who are not him. You could take it as Akechi wanting an excuse to indiscriminately kill members of a society who abandoned him as his true revenge, but the killing is discriminate and only to benefit Shido. You could buy into the (self-glorifying, Shido's ego-suggested) idea that Shido manipulated him with praise, but that's bullshit since Akechi could/should have been expected to kill him before he said word one to him. You could take the whole thing as a writer's theme that you should take revenge quickly or not at all, but I think that's being generous when that's not spelled out well by the game, and I doubt I would think of that at all if it weren't already done so well in my favorite thing ever, Sondheim's Sweeney Todd. The sad thing is there really does feel like there's at least 51% of a good video game story lurking here, but when I keep thinking of how it could have been done right I never make it all the way to an answer. Probably not worth going over too much.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Saying that Akechi killed people as societal revenge like he's some sort of crusader against a broken system is really just a projection of what people wanted the game/themes to be about, just like how people have been saying "Well the game was SUPPOSED to be about people who had been shunned and turned into outcasts by society, they just did a bad job of explaining that." No, they didn't do a bad job of making that game, they didn't make it. Instead of focusing on what things in the game were "supposed" to be about, people really need to pay more attention to what things in the game ARE about. From there you can argue if that writing is good or bad (it's both), or whether or not it would be more interesting if the themes you would like to see are included (it would be), but to say a game's writing is bad because it wasn't about what you wanted it to be about is just loving stupid

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Adachi was a much better villain because his motives were pretty clear and easy to understand.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CJ posted:

Adachi was a much better villain because his motives were pretty clear and easy to understand.

Adachi was a cool villain, Akechi was a plot contrivance

pretty much everyone I know who has played P4 gets to the confrontation scene and kind of knows they're right but still can't believe how it turns out

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gulping Again posted:

His plan is very explicitly idiotic and there was nothing keeping him from going in and making Shido poo poo himself to death the day he learned his name other than his devotion to his deeply terrible and overly elaborate revenge plan.

This is another great comparison because Jun actually had a good reason for not just instantly murking Tatsuya and friends.

Innocent Sin's very first battle was against JOKER and he just laughed off Tatsuya, Lisa and Eikichi's attacks. Even their fusion spell had no effect. JOKER actually had them dead to rights and would've killed them but only stopped because Tatsuya and the others don't remember the sin he's accusing them of. It really sold the feeling that the trio just narrowly escaped death.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I mean, Akechi's plan is awful because he's pretty explicitly a broken crazed shell of a human barely pretending to hold things together on the outside. That's the entire point of his boss fight, he's been broken and hurt and wrecked and Shido found him without knowing their connections and used him as a weapon because that's what Shido does, uses people for his own benefit.

Akechi being broken and crazed decides on his plan, which is to give Shido just a taste of what he wants before ripping it all away and crowing in his face about how Akechi is the one to have destroyed everything he wanted just as Shido abandoned and destroyed Akechi. It's crazed because that's the point, it's a bad plan because Akechi is a damaged person who makes bad plans in regards to his own personal relationships, because he's bad at both hating people and liking them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, Akechi's plan is awful because he's pretty explicitly a broken crazed shell of a human barely pretending to hold things together on the outside. That's the entire point of his boss fight, he's been broken and hurt and wrecked and Shido found him without knowing their connections and used him as a weapon because that's what Shido does, uses people for his own benefit.

Akechi being broken and crazed decides on his plan, which is to give Shido just a taste of what he wants before ripping it all away and crowing in his face about how Akechi is the one to have destroyed everything he wanted just as Shido abandoned and destroyed Akechi. It's crazed because that's the point, it's a bad plan because Akechi is a damaged person who makes bad plans in regards to his own personal relationships, because he's bad at both hating people and liking them.

I wish the game would tell us more about it because the two paragraphs you wrote is more time than the game spends trying to explain his "plan" and backstory, so it's hard to really know exactly at which point he developed the plan and when in his life this all happened. But, also, that doesn't really add up with the parts of the game where he's really intelligent and calculating and not broken and insane, which is all of the game minus five minutes. He's not so badly damaged that he can't go to school and have a job and appear on television and also devise an elaborate plan to catch and kill the Phantom Thieves that only didn't work due to a mistake he couldn't have possibly known about making

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I wish the game would tell us more about it because the two paragraphs you wrote is more time than the game spends trying to explain his "plan" and backstory, so it's hard to really know exactly at which point he developed the plan and when in his life this all happened. But, also, that doesn't really add up with the parts of the game where he's really intelligent and calculating and not broken and insane, which is all of the game minus five minutes. He's not so badly damaged that he can't go to school and have a job and appear on television and also devise an elaborate plan to catch and kill the Phantom Thieves that only didn't work due to a mistake he couldn't have possibly known about making

I'd assume because his broken-ness is well hidden, we see very little of the real Akechi until the very end during his boss fight. But also maybe I am reading more then the game laid down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I guess the question ultimately is "is he so broken that he can't hold himself together for the ten seconds it would take to realize his plan is stupid" and I guess for me the answer is no. In fact, during the confrontation he seems more upset that he wasn't crazy enough to know that his plan wouldn't work and that's why he summoned Loki's power so he wouldn't have to deal with how dumb and bad he's clearly aware that he's been

e: I guess I should note that I would be more forgiving for not thinking about the plan more if it was a really cool plan but it's not. I said it a long time ago but I think the only reason he's framed this way is to make Shido seem more like a real final boss because otherwise, the group has no reason to fear Shido and every reason to fear Akechi

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 17, 2019