Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we have too much atmosphere and water and mars has not enough so build a drat hose and solve 2 problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Went on a nice walk through the forest and down to the beach and was having a lovely time forgetting that we live in hell until i came upon a ton of plastic confetti all over the trail.

rules.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fly Molo posted:

5% tops, depending on the breaks

Oil drilling all happens outside

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Pipe milk.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skooma512 posted:

Oil drilling all happens outside

somewhere in the 5-100% range

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shifty Nipples posted:

yup, it will always be "easier" to fix this planet than to make another livable.

we just need to find a planet with a magnetic field, livable star, tons of water, biome we can eat, and millions of millions of tons of infrastructure. also no prions

how hard could it be??

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Humanity, unable to survive on a world with a breathable atmosphere, perfectly compatible biosphere, and excellent radiation shielding is inexorably destined to live in places with none of those things. En masse. While the aforementioned world is considered uninhabitable despite still having at least two of those things. While we still haven't mapped out and understood the function of all of the things inside and on our bodies that also rely on those things to keep us healthy.

FFS all we can do is transport poop from one butthole to another when there's a problem because our own intestinal ecosystem and its feedbacks is a mystery, never mind making a functional enclosed environment.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Complications posted:

Humanity, unable to survive on a world with a breathable atmosphere, perfectly compatible biosphere, and excellent radiation shielding is inexorably destined to live in places with none of those things. En masse. While the aforementioned world is considered uninhabitable despite still having at least two of those things. While we still haven't mapped out and understood the function of all of the things inside and on our bodies that also rely on those things to keep us healthy.

FFS all we can do is transport poop from one butthole to another when there's a problem because our own intestinal ecosystem and its feedbacks is a mystery, never mind making a functional enclosed environment.

watch a movie dumbass

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
why should humans go to the stars?

because its loving fun and cool and a way for the universe to experience itself, and advances human knowledge (an absolute good!) that's all the reason we need

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 00:29 on May 18, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

only if they mine us some healthcare out there and bring it back

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if you want to go to space and travel to distant worlds then LSD is a lot cheaper

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

tiberion02 posted:

because its loving fun and cool and a way for the universe to experience itself, and advances human knowledge (an absolute good!) that's all the reason we need

Sorry we have machines to do the exploring for us.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Lol if you think humanity won’t choke and die on this dead gay planet

Just lmbo

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

poo poo is it too late to suggest [Die-o-sphere]

Shifty Nipples posted:

yup, it will always be "easier" to fix this planet than to make another livable.

Yeah, anyone thinking people could survive on another planet without figuring out how to fix and live sustainably on earth needs to go read about Biosphere 2 again. People living in space requires an understanding of environmental management that we do not have.

The most important field in space exploration today is environmental engineering or something and I will die on this hill, shouting from the other side of the fence at the rocket scientists while security is called on me again

pygmy tyrant has issued a correction as of 01:00 on May 18, 2022

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Historically speaking we aren’t even close to being the most successful organism this planet has ever seen. The tyrannosaur and it’s ancestors and offshoots for example is found EVERYWHERE spanning millions of years in the fossil record. it is very conceivable that intelligence will prove to be very maladaptive in the final analysis.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Like those hemorrhagic fevers that burn themselves out because they’re too deadly

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Kurzgesagt has a few videos

lol

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo
Step 1 to live in space: how do you not turn your environment into a choking greenhouse

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

domes

lol
lmao

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah it's the opposite of what we need, which is a heat pump sending some of the excess heat back into space

mount everest heat pump when

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cardiacarrest123 posted:

Historically speaking we aren’t even close to being the most successful organism this planet has ever seen. The tyrannosaur and it’s ancestors and offshoots for example is found EVERYWHERE spanning millions of years in the fossil record. it is very conceivable that intelligence will prove to be very maladaptive in the final analysis.

Piss on that we've turned the tyrannosaur's children into slaves and you can buy their rotisseried corpses in bulk for like $8 $10 $15

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Vermontposting

it has been such a long time since I saw a woodpecker that I assumed someone was working on the fence when I first heard it

here's some cool algae, looks a little plastic-deficient but we'll get that sorted eventually

here's the remains of a chimney that used to be part of some sort of resort bungalow complex. people burn random garbage here. there's also some garbage we haven't burned yet in the background, amazing how much noise those dumb things make

i don't really know devil's weed things but i respect the enthusiasm here

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

i love the implicit assumption that the humans in charge will of course provide for all your needs on this new world. it will be a utopia for all that want to work! surely we won’t just build a slaver empire predicated on violence and exploitation like the last new world

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

tiberion02 posted:

incredible post / yang wen-li avatar combo

edit: Hey guys did you know we're on Spaceship Earth? Kinda crazy, I know.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 02:15 on May 18, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

i love the implicit assumption that the humans in charge will of course provide for all your needs on this new world. it will be a utopia for all that want to work! surely we won’t just build a slaver empire predicated on violence and exploitation like the last new world

Also that you: the schmuck with no money or connections or skills, is going to be allowed to go to the stars or be saved.

A space colony necessarily means all but a handful of humans are still stuck here and doomed. Don't Look Up predicting the space ark is all failsons and oligarchs was 100% on point.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

cardiacarrest123 posted:

One could argue that fossil fuels were a dinosaur conspiracy to continue owning us to this day

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Oil is not literal dinosaurs mostly, it's algae and plankton that fell to the seafloor and was buried, and trees that were buried by sediment in a time before organism that could eat lignin evolved.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

skooma512 posted:

Oil is not literal dinosaurs mostly, it's algae and plankton that fell to the seafloor and was buried, and trees that were buried by sediment in a time before organism that could eat lignin evolved.

it’s hosed up that it exists and is so bad for everything

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

To be fair I do agree with the principle that spreading humanity throughout the galaxy is a worthwhile endeavour.

But we've hosed it and it's never going to happen, suck it up scifiailures

if we were worth spreading around, we wouldn't have hosed up our planet in the first place

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

skooma512 posted:

what's lignin

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cloks posted:

what's lignin

so sad steve jobs died from lignin

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
(i mean i'm assuming his cancer was caused by diesel fumes idk)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cloks posted:

what's lignin

lignin balls

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

skooma512 posted:

what's lignin

e: gently caress

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Stereotype posted:

there isn't even an atmosphere on mars. we have trouble with bases in Antarctica and you can just fly there in a plane. the biggest thing we have ever gotten off the earth has less livable space than your apartment and is the most expensive single project ever undertaken. we're dying on this rock. best we could do is plant a tree no human will live to see and shoot some extremophile bacteria at it

we (or at least private industry in the US) can't even loving pull off a goddamn bubble in Tucson, Arizona (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2) in a literal attempt to remind everyone that biosphere 1 is the earth and is hosed

I agree with that dude who literally has just joined us to tell us about space travel; galactic colonization is our birthright but sadly, capitalists stole it, and will never deliver it, even for themselves, because they're literally too loving generationally stupid and capitalist class solidarity does not extend far enough to not destroy progress amongst themselves

would love to be proven wrong yet again, though! looking forward to BlueVirginX delivering spacefaring colonization capability in our grandchildren's lifetimes/before it becomes impossible for humanity to actually find and reach another compatible atmosphere. that would, truly, be amazing. and we all acknowledge miracles would be super loving cool, cause that would be.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Humans don't deserve to go to the stars

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

The Wisest Moron posted:

Humans don't deserve to go to the stars

:hmmyes:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

deserve is a stupid concept

War and Pieces