Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
My brother tells me nobody was sheltering in place at all in norcal, him and 80 of his fellow carpenters were on a construction job, nobody is wearing masks or anything. My mom is freaking out about him :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Panfilo posted:

My brother tells me nobody was sheltering in place at all in norcal, him and 80 of his fellow carpenters were on a construction job, nobody is wearing masks or anything. My mom is freaking out about him :ohdear:

Alameda County is doing a (far from perfect, but) reasonable job.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

xcheopis posted:

Alameda County is doing a (far from perfect, but) reasonable job.

From what I've seen in Oakland, most people are SIP, and maybe half of the people I see out and about are wearing masks in shops. Maybe 1/10 wearing masks outside.

Lots of people doing dumb poo poo like crowding around Lake Merritt though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you actually have a proper mask to wear outside you're beyond lucky at this point. Best I can do is wrap a towel around my nose and mouth.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tests in LA are still taking 6+ days to come back if they even give you one...

There are essential workers being forced home (with minor symptoms) and having to wait weeks to get cleared before they can come back and if the test is negative they've just burned a lot of sick time waiting around.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

HolHorsejob posted:

From what I've seen in Oakland, most people are SIP, and maybe half of the people I see out and about are wearing masks in shops. Maybe 1/10 wearing masks outside.

Lots of people doing dumb poo poo like crowding around Lake Merritt though.

Well it is Lake Merritt, there's probably a lot of people like me that just take a walk around it every day for lunch or after work to break the tedium.

Also yeah I'm not bothering with masks or face coverings. I wear gloves, wash my hands when I get home, wash produce and move takeout into different containers before eating. It's not a rigorous scheme but it doesn't really need to be - that's why we have SIP. The goal is not to avoid ever getting the virus, but to move back when you get it as much as possible.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Riverside County Mandates Face Coverings in Public, Bans Outside Gatherings
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/coronavirus/riverside-county-mandates-face-coverings-in-public-bans-outside-gatherings/2340950/

good.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

I'm glad that they're mandating businesses give employees masks, but where is everyone else supposed to get masks? If some random business that managed to worm its way into being "essential" closes because they can't provide employees masks, then ok.

But some people still have to go outside for groceries. I would like the mask requirement more if Riverside had some plan for distributing masks outside of the market (which is clearly not up to the task).

E: the language is vague - just "face covering". So I imagine people could come up with ad hoc solutions.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 5, 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

At work, the advice we were given was: Surgical masks in the office is fine*, also if you'll be in close quarters. Fabric masks, bandanas and such, for generally being out and about.

*Stricter if spending more time with clients/direct service people.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Aardvark posted:

Also sold out of those!

Sorry there isn't enough supply of these to get to everyone.

As retail employee, I hope you do not visit one of our stores or a grocery store in person and freak out for the lack of ppe because there is no ppe.

It's not like bandanas are the only thing you can put over your face lol. Scarfs, shirts, towels, whatever, will make you and those around you slightly more safe. Might as well, if you can.

I have gone to the grocery store and pharmacy a couple times, and most people dont have PPE, just like most people in most other places I've been (was in Oakland chinatown a few days ago and like 80% of people had masks, and it was maybe around 40% in downtown, but around grand lake/adams point/lake merritt it was more like 10%. Saw several people with bandanas). But it's not like i'd blame employees, i'd blame bosses that are ignorant or dont care about informing their workers about things, and even more i'd blame the government for being unprepared to deal with this poo poo and not informing people of what they should do. And of actively making things worse for profit. Same with all these private hospitals where management were (still are?) ordering nurses and doctors not to wear their own PPE, under threat of termination, because they didn't supply enough, and don't want only a few of the people to have it, thus making the bosses/company look bad, or whatever the excuse is.

Sydin posted:

If you actually have a proper mask to wear outside you're beyond lucky at this point. Best I can do is wrap a towel around my nose and mouth.

I was given an n95 mask in 2017 when there was one of those big rear end wildfires in Nor Cal. It's old and used, and surely not as effective as when it was new, but i'm lucky to have it.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 5, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bandanas are fine because the purpose is to reduce the amount of viruses you are spewing out onto everyone saying you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Masks are good and should be worn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZtEX2-n2Hc

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have an n95 mask from the semi-recent Ventura fires and I feel like an rear end in a top hat using it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

I have an n95 mask from the semi-recent Ventura fires and I feel like an rear end in a top hat using it.

You’d be a bigger rear end in a top hat for not wearing it tbh.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

You’d be a bigger rear end in a top hat for not wearing it tbh.

I do. But I got some looks at the pharmacy!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

I do. But I got some looks at the pharmacy!

People are assholes!

More people need to be wearing masks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get a sharpie and write on it "gently caress OFF IVE HAD THIS SINCE FIRE SEASON"

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

N95 masks are not great to wear except for short periods when you will be in close contact with another person, such as a nurse caring for symptomatic patients or outreach workers at the encampments. A properly fitted N95 will lower the volume of oxygen you breathe in because it's filtering the air. If it isn't properly fitted or you keep moving it around to talk, etc., then it's effectively useless.
Do not use N95 masks if you have breathing difficulties, e.g., asthma, unless otherwise instructed.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I basically know not to touch or adjust my mask once I put it on. I try to adhere to best practices. Whattyagonnado

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I have a handful of valved N99s left over from fire season, and they fit pretty well. I know they only do half the job, but at this point, I'll take what I can get.

At least the weather it's been miserable outside most of the time, I feel less like I'm missing out.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

xcheopis posted:

N95 masks are not great to wear except for short periods when you will be in close contact with another person, such as a nurse caring for symptomatic patients or outreach workers at the encampments. A properly fitted N95 will lower the volume of oxygen you breathe in because it's filtering the air. If it isn't properly fitted or you keep moving it around to talk, etc., then it's effectively useless.
Do not use N95 masks if you have breathing difficulties, e.g., asthma, unless otherwise instructed.

its not useless even if fitted improperly, because it will still stop some of your spit from flying out onto surfaces and people, and stop their spit from hitting your mouth/nose, and will also help to keep you from touching your face as much, unless ur a dumbass or have extreme face itchyness or a lubed head, or have memory problems or something lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Wish I lived in a functional society that had masks and instructions for use widely available to all instead of a vague pronouncement to spend money and navigate tons of conflicting information on the 24/7 Marketplace of Ideas.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Centrist Committee posted:

Wish I lived in a functional society that had masks and instructions for use widely available to all instead of a vague pronouncement to spend money and navigate tons of conflicting information on the 24/7 Marketplace of Ideas.

Yep. I can't remember the last time I could easily find clear, concise information by googling something. Every search result that comes up says more about a company's success with SEO than anything else....

That, and the algorithm always directing you away from arcane information (which I'm always searching for) to the most common search terms (which I'm never searching for)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

Yep. I can't remember the last time I could easily find clear, concise information by googling something. Every search result that comes up says more about a company's success with SEO than anything else....

That, and the algorithm always directing you away from arcane information (which I'm always searching for) to the most common search terms (which I'm never searching for)

how about some ben shapiro videos?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

Not linking because holy poo poo, this person does not need more views:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

CopperHound posted:

Not linking because holy poo poo, this person does not need more views:

Makes me wish I'd spent my praxis points on the integrated rebreather instead of breast implants

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/coastalelite28/status/1246875517564813312?s=21

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sacramento on it's way to becoming a shadow federal government since DC is run by morons.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I wonder how to describe it if all 50 states collectively unionized on the issue?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Perhaps they could form some type of united organization for dealing with issues like this.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
And maybe they could stock up on supplies in safe years and store it away in done kind of ... pile.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think Newsom should really have to handle this himself. He should set policy and appoint someone to take care of it for him. Maybe he could found a whole government organization full of trained professionals and bureaucrats to see it through. Some kind of central group, or an administration. It would be a good idea I think

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

balkinize balkanize balzanize balkanize

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Newsom realizes he'll never win a general election so he simply moves the de facto capital to Sacramento and takes over all federal government functions

Skynet wins again

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Personally I would find it hilarious is California decided to just say "gently caress it" and succeed from the nation. Imagine all the red states suddenly going bankrupt overnight when California stops sending them welfare money.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gavbot has analyzed the forecasts and believes this action gains him 18.533% in Presidential Action points, with only a 0.28% loss of medical resources. :mitt:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Nation-state indeed. Literally doing the federal government's job. :lol:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Personally I would find it hilarious is California decided to just say "gently caress it" and succeed from the nation. Imagine all the red states suddenly going bankrupt overnight when California stops sending them welfare money.

The odds of secessionism making a comeback after this plague is very high. Doesn’t mean anything will happen, but I definitely think the idea will start being bandied about seriously in California. I think the blue Northeast has too much pride in the idea of the US as an entity due to their history to push for an independent New England or New York though.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
If California secession comes up on the ballot I'm gonna vote for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Should California remain a member of the United States of America or leave the United States of America?

☐ Remain a member of the United States of America
☒ Leave the United States of America

:getin: