Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

somehow I still haven't been to the coliseum in spite of spending most of my time wandering aimless around the map taking pictures of animals instead of doing quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

are there shrines on Hyrule Castle Island? If so, where??

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jivjov posted:

I legit think Nintendo is trying to avoid accusations of hiding anything (besides the cosmetics of it) behind the paywall

...like they did with amiibo?

The whole point of DLC is to pay for new things.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

well why not posted:

are there shrines on Hyrule Castle Island? If so, where??

There's one, it's in the basement of the castle and can be accessed via the water.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

s.i.r.e. posted:

...like they did with amiibo?

The whole point of DLC is to pay for new things.

The amiibo costumes are purely cosmetic. All their effects are duplicated on the X of the Wild clothing. Even the weapons are just pretty versions of other things.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

jivjov posted:

The amiibo costumes are purely cosmetic. All their effects are duplicated on the X of the Wild clothing. Even the weapons are just pretty versions of other things.

Except the infinite range, perfectly straight-shooting Twilight Bow, of course.

I mean, technically it's a lesser version of the Bow of Light, but you can't get that outside the final battle, so it's functionally the only infinite range bow in the game and it's most definitely pay gated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spergatory posted:

Except the infinite range, perfectly straight-shooting Twilight Bow, of course.

I mean, technically it's a lesser version of the Bow of Light, but you can't get that outside the final battle, so it's functionally the only infinite range bow in the game and it's most definitely pay gated.

I thought you kept the Bow of Light post final battle?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

jivjov posted:

There technically is no post-final battle. The save deposits you before the Ganon fight and thus before you get the Bow of Light.

And I forgot; the Twilight Bow also has infinite ammo. :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spergatory posted:

There technically is no post-final battle. The save deposits you before the Ganon fight and thus before you get the Bow of Light.

And I forgot; the Twilight Bow also has infinite ammo. :)

Gotcha. Someone mentioned being upset the Light Bow took up inventory space; I thought it hung around in the "not-actually-postgame" save

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

jivjov posted:

Nope, you don't keep it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

jivjov posted:

Gotcha. Someone mentioned being upset the Light Bow took up inventory space; I thought it hung around in the "not-actually-postgame" save

People WISH it could take up inventory space, is the problem.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Speaking of elemental weapons and magic rods...I get why they didn't want to just let you buy or repair weapons, but it would have been cool if there were some kind of wizard or blacksmith character who would let you combine like knight's broadsword with red chu jelly to make a flameblade. Or a torch, rubies, and chu jelly to make a meteor rod.

I just really want more meteor rods next time.

You can restock every blood moon from the wizzrobe in the Crenel Hills stumps....

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

aware of dog posted:

Also the coliseum is good because it has enemies with every different type of elemental weapon, so if you ever find yourself needing a fire, ice, or thunder weapon, just go there

On a similar note, IIRC, just east of Hyrule Castle there's a bunch of Wizzrobes of every description, all sectioned off in their own little areas, so you can window shop for whatever kind of magic rod you want. I think there's a shrine there too.

EDIT - Looked it up on IGN's map, should be the Cornell Hills area.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 21, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Earwicker posted:

somehow I still haven't been to the coliseum in spite of spending most of my time wandering aimless around the map taking pictures of animals instead of doing quests

I missed the coliseum for a long time too, probably because it's so close to the plateau

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's fun doing that lightning spin at the bottom of the coliseum and then climbing up wondering why you keep running into piles of loot and weapons rather than enemies

Is there anything actually in there or is it just a place to fight bad guys

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Only the Lynel and the various weapons the enemies have.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tell me about the "Twilight Bow." How does it work, can it break, etc.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Amiibo exclusive drop, RIDICULOUS amount of range, fires in a straight line instead of an arc, uses it's own infinite supply of arrow.

Everything in this game breaks, but if you have a Smash Zelda amiibo on you, it's not a bad idea to grab one off it. It is a rare spawn though, so you'll be at it a while.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have access to one of those, but I can't bring myself to actually use anything that rare when regular weapons get the job done just as well. Oh well.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I have way too many Royal 38+12 Attack bows to be worrying about infinite range twilight bows right now

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Spellman posted:

I have way too many Royal 38+12 Attack bows to be worrying about infinite range twilight bows right now

Peasantry.

Try 50+ dmg x3 lynel bows, or x5 lynel bows.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Twilight Bow was loving invaluable during the Korok hunt and archery minigame.

As long as something isn't too hard to get or too expensive to replace, i'll definitely use it.

Also the duping glitch is still in the game, so it's nice to have a second Hylian shield.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't know what I expected to find after I waited for Revali's Gale to recharge on my way to the top of one of those leaning towers surrounding Hyrule Castle. But let's just say there are faster ways to obtain it.

At least two of them have dead Guardians at the top.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 22, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

185 hours in and this game still surprises me sometimes. Here I am wandering around inside Hyrule Castle like I'm hot poo poo, when all of a sudden this silver Moblin lands a hit and takes off like 8 hearts - through 88 worth of armor. I'm wearing ancient greaves, the Champion's Tunic, and diamond circlet, all maxed out. I seriously think if I had the Sheikah set on he could've one-shot me with 25 hearts. I respected the gently caress out of that and backed off to finish him with arrows.

Turns out he had a Royal Guard's claymore with a +35 attack bonus making it 107. :stare:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

I have access to one of those, but I can't bring myself to actually use anything that rare when regular weapons get the job done just as well. Oh well.

I never use it for combat, but it's my dragon-horn-sniper. (And I used it for that one shrine quest where you have to shoot through a pair of stone rings.)

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

185 hours in and this game still surprises me sometimes. Here I am wandering around inside Hyrule Castle like I'm hot poo poo, when all of a sudden this silver Moblin lands a hit and takes off like 8 hearts - through 88 worth of armor. I'm wearing ancient greaves, the Champion's Tunic, and diamond circlet, all maxed out. I seriously think if I had the Sheikah set on he could've one-shot me with 25 hearts. I respected the gently caress out of that and backed off to finish him with arrows.

Turns out he had a Royal Guard's claymore with a +35 attack bonus making it 107. :stare:

107, nice. My best is a one-handed Lynel sword at 96 or 97.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
So I'm like 20 hours in and I realise I skipped what should have been the tutorial type path by going off exploring instead (I'd already got 6 hearts and done one of the major combat shrines and a divine beast before I found the combat tutorial shrine or Hateno village).

From tentatively peeking at guides (don't want anything spoiled!) it seems I missed an inventory expansion npc? The weapon limit is kind of tight right now. Also is there an ingame way to figure out elixir recipes? I need some heat or fire resistance soon for Death Mountai but keep wasting materials with trial and error.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

IPA Regulations posted:

So I'm like 20 hours in and I realise I skipped what should have been the tutorial type path by going off exploring instead (I'd already got 6 hearts and done one of the major combat shrines and a divine beast before I found the combat tutorial shrine or Hateno village).

From tentatively peeking at guides (don't want anything spoiled!) it seems I missed an inventory expansion npc? The weapon limit is kind of tight right now. Also is there an ingame way to figure out elixir recipes? I need some heat or fire resistance soon for Death Mountai but keep wasting materials with trial and error.

I'll spoiler tag in individual blocks for you

Inventory expansion: keep following the "tutorial path" - near Kakariko Village - there's a giant Korok outside the village with a side quest for you

Elixirs: talk to lots of NPCs - especially at the stable at the foot of Death Mountain - you'll get three Fire Proof ones for free - that's enough to get you to Goron City, where you can get clothing for it

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Wow thank you, much appreciated!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just got a kick out of "yeah I did a divine beast before finding out what those things are" haha

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Crawfish posted:

Amiibo exclusive drop, RIDICULOUS amount of range, fires in a straight line instead of an arc, uses it's own infinite supply of arrow.

Everything in this game breaks, but if you have a Smash Zelda amiibo on you, it's not a bad idea to grab one off it. It is a rare spawn though, so you'll be at it a while.

I've been scanning my Zelda Amiibo whenever I actually remember to do it (every couple days I guess?) and sometimes even savescumming her drop and I have yet to get that stupid bow off her.

I'm convinced it's a myth.

Er, it is the Smash Zelda Amiibo that has it and now the BotW Zelda, right? I have the former.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dictator. posted:

107, nice. My best is a one-handed Lynel sword at 96 or 97.

That type was my previous best too, at 91. Rather have a 91 one-hand than 107 two-hand though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

jivjov posted:

I just got a kick out of "yeah I did a divine beast before finding out what those things are" haha

I beat all the divine beasts and beat ganon before I upgraded my inventory or found an NPC that told me how to make elixirs (so I only used the ones from the lady in the Foothill Stable). Would've been appreciated if I just went south-west of Kakariko :(

edit: oh wait jijov posted that tip oops

edit2:

IPA Regulations posted:

Also is there an ingame way to figure out elixir recipes? I need some heat or fire resistance soon for Death Mountai but keep wasting materials with trial and error.

1. In several houses in towns, or wherever there is people, sometimes you'll see posters on the wall that have materials for cooking or elixirs on them. They should give you an idea about what things can make with what.

2. General Cooking/Elixir tip - Elixirs and cooking in general works almost universally the same way: you need 1 element with an effect and 1 element w/o an effect. Having different things with an effect cancel each other out. Cooking is 2 food stuffs, Elixirs is usually 1 monster part + 1 animal or bug. The game will try to differentiate descriptions to tell you what should be cooked vs what combines with monsters for elixirs.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 22, 2017

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I've been scanning my Zelda Amiibo whenever I actually remember to do it (every couple days I guess?) and sometimes even savescumming her drop and I have yet to get that stupid bow off her.

I'm convinced it's a myth.

Er, it is the Smash Zelda Amiibo that has it and now the BotW Zelda, right? I have the former.
It's definitely the Smash one. Weirdly, the BotW amiibo are the only ones without any exclusive or interesting things tied to them, not counting the saddle and briddle from Rider Link.

All of the exclusive items are the rarest drops from that amiibo, but Twilight Bow takes the cake as the rarest one from the Smash amiibo.

Even savescumming, it can can take upwards of half an hour for one to drop.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Another thing about the Twilight Bow; it's arrows travel fast. Even moving targets are easy to hit with it. Seriously, if you get a Twilight Bow, just use it as your Korok snatcher. It's not even that great against enemies, but it makes even the toughest archery challenges an absolute cakewalk.

If you can't, Ancient Bows are farmable with a bit of Guardian hunting and almost as accurate. I love them so much I basically spent several hours Guardian farming just to stuff my inventory full of them.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Ventana posted:

2. General Cooking/Elixir tip - Elixirs and cooking in general works almost universally the same way: you need 1 element with an effect and 1 element w/o an effect. Having different things with an effect cancel each other out. Cooking is 2 food stuffs, Elixirs is usually 1 monster part + 1 animal or bug. The game will try to differentiate descriptions to tell you what should be cooked vs what combines with monsters for elixirs.

I had almost this figured out, my problem I think was assuming electric/fire/whatever keese wings count as an active effect ingredient rather than a part, so I was trying cooking 'em up with other monster parts and getting garbage, and thinking the game was weirdly specific in the combo of guts/horns required.

Also, theres no way to see recipes for stuff you already made without having one of those things in your inventory, right?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Right. I tried taking screenshots of several of the recipe lists you see in the books for the special recipes, so maybe that'd work for you. But otherwise you just gotta know how the system works.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

IPA Regulations posted:

Also, theres no way to see recipes for stuff you already made without having one of those things in your inventory, right?

Right. I wish there was a recipe book you got to fill out, something like the compendium.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Spergatory posted:

Another thing about the Twilight Bow; it's arrows travel fast. Even moving targets are easy to hit with it. Seriously, if you get a Twilight Bow, just use it as your Korok snatcher. It's not even that great against enemies, but it makes even the toughest archery challenges an absolute cakewalk.

If you can't, Ancient Bows are farmable with a bit of Guardian hunting and almost as accurate. I love them so much I basically spent several hours Guardian farming just to stuff my inventory full of them.

I made an Ancient Bow for the horseback archery challenge, but ended up beating it with a Falcon Bow instead.

However I have yet to even attempt breaking all the targets for the Korok challenge, so if I ever completely lose my mind I'll have the Ancient Bow around for that. Hopefully also a Twilight Bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
my random zelda thoughts:
i cant find the hylian shield and i refuse to look it up!! i know its in hyrule castle somewhere.. but i feel like ive been all over that place
ive played pretty much the whole game without a horse. the exploration and climbing is just that good, plus it adds a few hours of play time :P
i must be pretty poo poo at using the map cus yesterday i stumbled into a village i had never visited before, way south, after idk how many hours
i want the wolf amiibo thing i want a wolf friend
its a good-a-game