Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Let's all just thank God there's no reason to ever run PotD again ever now.

Don't DPS classes get shafted by squadron dungeons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

Don't DPS classes get shafted by squadron dungeons?

Instead of everything dying in one gcd everything dies in two gcds because you only have one god bot?

I guess the dungeon might take like 3-4 minutes longer or something. I dunno I just sprint around spamming engage.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 16, 2017

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Instead of everything dying in one gcd everything dies in two gcds because you only have one god bot?

I guess the dungeon might take like 3-4 minutes longer or something.

Fair enough. Have not tried it myself, guess it's the usual reddit gnashing of teeth.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

I guess the dungeon might take like 3-4 minutes longer or something. I dunno I just sprint around spamming engage.

It's more than 3-4 minutes and the DPS difference is way larger depending on what class you play. You get the added benefit of having both the tank and the healer potentially running with AI set to "braindead", loving up bosses and the like.

I wouldn't call it "shafted" but it's certainly not remotely as smooth as tanking or healing yourself and running with haxbots.

Then again, we all know they probably just end up nerfing said haxbots to hell and back.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You'll probably still find PotD best for xp from 51-60 if only because WP isn't great xp after that. And also for the hassle of controlling your squad in WP.

I've got my emotes and I think I'm done for now. Unless there is some super secret reward for completing more command missions (there's no indication from the cheevo list that you get emotes from Dear Leader I after all).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The engage spam is an exploit really, so saying one of the three roles is shafted because it benefits least from exploits isn't an especially good argument. At least in "we should be able to benefit too" terms.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Even without spamming engage the Archer NPCs are significantly more effective than any of the other DPS are, so.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Saint Freak posted:

Let's all just thank God there's no reason to ever run PotD again ever now.

I still need to get to 200, if anyone's willing to help. :negative:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Reading this thread I can see that I've only scratched the surface of this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The engage spam is an exploit really, so saying one of the three roles is shafted because it benefits least from exploits isn't an especially good argument. At least in "we should be able to benefit too" terms.

Wait, can someone explain what engage spam exploit is? Do NPCs attack faster if you do that or something?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, can someone explain what engage spam exploit is? Do NPCs attack faster if you do that or something?

Basically, yes. I'm sure someone's posted the exacts somewhere, but the short of it is that their abilities reset when you mash engage. A couple archers plus engage spam means that they will melt everything away.

And that fight only lasted that long because the bastard flew away for a few seconds.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

They can, yes. This may/may not also reset their cool downs (or their cool downs are short/don't exist already). For Archer squadron members, this basically leads to every weaponskill having barrage applied.

I was running totorak with my squadron and my Archer was doing low-level 50 levels of damage single target using this method.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 16, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. They just spam attacks like barrage so enemies die in no time. One time, the second boss in Stone Vigil died before the arena sealed for me, or slightly after.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

For archers it basically instantly resets the cooldown for Barrage and Raging Strikes so they do a shitload of a damage. In defiance stance as a Warrior with a Balanced 4 and Offensive 3 Archer dps'ing, it's borderline impossible for me to maintain threat even while doing butch block combo's nonstop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huuuuh. Well, that's gonna speed up my emote farm.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The game is giving me nothing but Defensive points for my archer, Offensive for my healer, and Balanced for my tank.

It's like it doesn't want me to go any faster.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

My healer has Offensive 4 and has let me die twice so far because they were busy DPS'ing :v:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Mine has defense 5 and does a great job healing me and is probably too proactive about healing the other squaddies, but she'll leave herself at critical levels of hp until after the fight is over. As someone who raid heals it's a little maddening!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So do your squaddies eventually get their job stones or no?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Renegret posted:

It's like it doesn't want me to go any faster.

Have you ever tried getting Level 5 Triple Triad cards to drop from NPCs/dungeons/bosses? :shepicide:

SonicRulez posted:

So do your squaddies eventually get their job stones or no?

Maybe in a future patch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I gave SMN another spin and wow this class is actually fun now. The change to make aetherial attunement stacks last forever was game changing, I despised that about HW, it made the class so stressful.

Also with the changes to ruin III and IV I no longer feel like I'm just sitting there with my thumb up my rear end in between aetherflow cooldowns. And although the change to contagion is probably technically a downgrade, i perversely like it, because it's one less thing to worry about perfecting the timing for (unless I'm underestimating it in its new form).

Is Garuda still the clear best choice for the pet, or is ifrit a contender now with the contagion change?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I still need to get to 200, if anyone's willing to help. :negative:

I've gotten close a few times but the last few times, groups fell apart due to schedule issues. If you can consistently show up on, say, Saturday, and run for a few hours, I'm more than happy to go with another group for one last run.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

vOv posted:

So do you bstab somewhere in there or do you just have to wait like 4-5 ticks for the flamethrower to overheat you?

You wait for the ticks. The stabiliser is what gets you back in the game as soon as you can re-equip the Gauss Barrel. The opener's the only time you'd sit on a Flamethrower cast outside of AoE tricks. Normally Flamethrower is just the ogcd that pushes you over the edge from a 95 heat into Overheat.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

I gave SMN another spin and wow this class is actually fun now. The change to make aetherial attunement stacks last forever was game changing, I despised that about HW, it made the class so stressful.

Also with the changes to ruin III and IV I no longer feel like I'm just sitting there with my thumb up my rear end in between aetherflow cooldowns. And although the change to contagion is probably technically a downgrade, i perversely like it, because it's one less thing to worry about perfecting the timing for (unless I'm underestimating it in its new form).

Is Garuda still the clear best choice for the pet, or is ifrit a contender now with the contagion change?

Ifrit should be more damage, more IV procs because of faster cooldowns, and also because we're in a pretty phy heavy meta so you want the one that bolsters your physical people over Garuda/Contagion.

Also you can just zone out and leave him on Sic if you feel like it for not much difference which can be nice if you're learning.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

I've gotten close a few times but the last few times, groups fell apart due to schedule issues. If you can consistently show up on, say, Saturday, and run for a few hours, I'm more than happy to go with another group for one last run.

Saturday I work from 12 - 6, but otherwise that sounds fine.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Saint Freak posted:

Also you can just zone out and leave him on Sic if you feel like it for not much difference which can be nice if you're learning.

The theory crafters have said the difference in dps between ifrit on sic and controlled ifrit is so minor it's not worth it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sounds like team ifrit just got a new recruit

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Does the Job your retainer has, matter for anything besides what gear they have equipped?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bolow posted:

Does the Job your retainer has, matter for anything besides what gear they have equipped?

It changes which kind of 18 hour explorations they can go on, which in turn effects their loot table. Like I think the new Shibe minion can only come from the ventures Miners go on, whereas the Odder Otter could only come from Fishers.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bolow posted:

For combat jobs theres no difference.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

IcePhoenix posted:

It changes which kind of 18 hour explorations they can go on, which in turn effects their loot table. Like I think the new Shibe minion can only come from the ventures Miners go on, whereas the Odder Otter could only come from Fishers.

True in general, but incorrect about the Otter. That can come from any of the Stormblood 18 hour ventures. Same with the Bom Boko. Not sure about the Shiba.

Source: my retainer army

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Aw man. I was hoping I was done reclassing my retainers.

isk posted:

True in general, but incorrect about the Otter. That can come from any of the Stormblood 18 hour ventures. Same with the Bom Boko. Not sure about the Shiba.

Source: my retainer army

Oh! Good to know.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

For archers it basically instantly resets the cooldown for Barrage and Raging Strikes so they do a shitload of a damage. In defiance stance as a Warrior with a Balanced 4 and Offensive 3 Archer dps'ing, it's borderline impossible for me to maintain threat even while doing butch block combo's nonstop.

What kind of mashing are we talking about, here? Like, "gotta pre-cast the next GCD" mashing, or "MARIO PARTY ABOUT TO FLAY THE SKIN FROM YOUR HANDS" mashing? Because I've not seen much of a difference between mashing and not.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Gruckles posted:

For combat jobs theres no difference.

Guess it's time to work through my netflix backlog while I level fishing I guess. I need the scrips for Crystal Sand anyway :suicide:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What kind of mashing are we talking about, here? Like, "gotta pre-cast the next GCD" mashing, or "MARIO PARTY ABOUT TO FLAY THE SKIN FROM YOUR HANDS" mashing? Because I've not seen much of a difference between mashing and not.

I just hover the mouse over the engage button and mash at maybe 4 to 5 clicks per second and it works. It's not like you actually have to do things to supplement them so it's pretty effortless.

I don't know if you can bind it to a key but if you can, it would be fully effortless.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You can drag the button from your spellbook to your bars, yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nice.

Just get a pad out, mash x and run forward I guess, get level 50 on everything inside a day.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am *almost* curious to see what would happen if you took three archers and ran as tank. Would you just not need healing? (I'm sure this would have been much easier to do if Bloodbath were still a thing that tanks could do.)

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'm sending my botanist retainer out on 18 hour ventures because I'm hoping the shiba minion is off any gatherer. I have not gotten lucky yet, but I did get that tengu minion from something or other my retainers were doing. Its kind of ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am *almost* curious to see what would happen if you took three archers and ran as tank. Would you just not need healing? (I'm sure this would have been much easier to do if Bloodbath were still a thing that tanks could do.)

For the squad? It won't let you take anything other than 1/1/2