Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'd vote the gently caress out of the Coalition of the Western United States..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

finally, president Arnold

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Proposition 69 to secede from the Union passes with 69% of the vote

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Secession talk is bullshit.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Secession talk is bullshit.

I'm still gonna vote for it.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Secession is definitely not going to happen, but I'm sure we'll continue to see "soft" secession where states vote and implement more ways to rely on themselves or coordinate between themselves rather than depend on the federal government. Sadly this is exactly what many republicans want. So it will be interesting to see them put their money where the mouth is when it comes to "states rights". Of course they'll be as hypocritical as they want to be, so if California tries to get more freedom I'm sure they'll vote against it. Cool cool cool

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

sim posted:

Secession is definitely not going to happen, but I'm sure we'll continue to see "soft" secession where states vote and implement more ways to rely on themselves or coordinate between themselves rather than depend on the federal government. Sadly this is exactly what many republicans want. So it will be interesting to see them put their money where the mouth is when it comes to "states rights". Of course they'll be as hypocritical as they want to be, so if California tries to get more freedom I'm sure they'll vote against it. Cool cool cool

"States' rights" is always about brutalizing minorities and forcing women to not get abortions. Maybe also flooding communities with guns (so that white people can abuse POC with the excuse that the POC could have been armed). And naturally no state has the right to allow abortions or not terrorize their non-white communities, what are you some kinda loving pinko commie??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"State's rights" was about, from the very beginning of our constitutional convention, ensuring that states could preserve the institution of slavery even in the event of a growing national majority opposed to it.

Calexit is just about as stupidly short-sighted as Brexit, in terms of how much it'd cost the state. Granted we'd (presumably) not be doing it for the racist reasons, but it'd still be enormously costly and probably crush the California economy for a decade. Not to mention instill a huge amount of hostility with the rest of the country, including (especially) as the vote would probably fail and just leave us looking like elitist quitter assholes (which, if we tried it, we would be).

Our role as Californians is to smugly drag the rest of the country kicking and screaming into the future by insisting on our own stricter rules and reforms and just being better at everything, and being 20% of the entire country so they can't just ignore us.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Leperflesh posted:

Not to mention instill a huge amount of hostility with the rest of the country[...]

Our role as Californians is to smugly drag the rest of the country kicking and screaming into the future by insisting on our own stricter rules and reforms and just being better at everything, and being 20% of the entire country so they can't just ignore us.

But there's already a huge amount of hostility towards Californians for exactly what you described, and we already have a reputation for being elitist assholes, and our economy is already going to take a huge hit. We can't lose!

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

This I can get behind.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The pro way to handle hypothetical secession is not to have California just bail on it's own so it becomes "that one rear end in a top hat state leaving the other 49".

It's to secede with Oregon and Washington as a Pacific Union, while also encouraging the eastern seaboard to do something similar.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Chomp8645 posted:

The pro way to handle hypothetical secession is not to have California just bail on it's own so it becomes "that one rear end in a top hat state leaving the other 49".

It's to secede with Oregon and Washington as a Pacific Union, while also encouraging the eastern seaboard to do something similar.

I think Nevada would end up joining too in the event that things are hosed enough for that to happen.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1247229911795785729?s=19

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

You could make an argument for a majority of the West to come with in the advent of the possibility.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We'll sweeten the deal for the remaining USA by giving them the State of Jefferson.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

CPColin posted:

We'll sweeten the deal for the remaining USA by giving them the State of Jefferson.

Better yet: annex Nevada, boot the State of Jefferson assholes into it, call that the new State of Jefferson, and then give that back.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Taking the entirety of the united states' west coast ports away (and then charging money to rail stuff east through our land) would be extremely amazing, but somehow I don't think that's in the cards.

I posted an effortpost about secession one or two times ago that it came up, but the gist of it is: we lack a ton of the governmental infrastructure required by an independent country, and creating it from scratch would take ages and cost a lot. There's a wealth of highly contentious issues that would tear the state's population apart, too; such as, what would be required to gain California (or Pacific Union) citizenship? Would we be a nuclear-armed country? Will we attempt to simultaneously establish a universal health care system? Would companies flee our states, or want to be established in them, and what would be our corporate laws? Would we consider ourselves still bound by two centuries of supreme court decisions, or start from scratch with a new constitution and legal system? Will we attempt to create new intelligence agencies? Are we going to try to control our borders, and if so, how? What do we do if they decide we can't have the Colorado River's flow and just shut it off at the border?

Mostly secessionists think of how much better it'd be if we weren't subject to the incredibly stupid and shortsighted actions of the federal government, and I get that, it's fun to think about. But to borrow D&D's current monicker: dunning & kruger would suggest that making a new country is not so straightforward after all.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I think Nevada would end up joining too in the event that things are hosed enough for that to happen.

85% of the land in Nevada is owned by the federal government, that's gonna be a little difficult to pull off.

Hell, the fed owns 45% of the land in CA as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 6, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I mean, this all just half-joking delusions by people slowly going crazy while on lockdown

But what else is there to talk about

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maybe... they just... haven't... used them?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
It’s easier to imagine calexit than the end of capitalism

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Centrist Committee posted:

It’s easier to imagine calexit than the end of capitalism
It’s easier to imagine ending capitalism in an independent california at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

It’s easier to imagine ending capitalism in an independent california at least.

lol this is pretty good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
California is going to secede... from the planet and blast off into space, literally the whole state "Bugs Bunny cuts off Florida" style but with rocket boosters, and we will live among the stars in fully automated luxury communism.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chomp8645 posted:

California is going to secede... from the planet and blast off into space, literally the whole state "Bugs Bunny cuts off Florida" style but with rocket boosters, and we will live among the stars in fully automated luxury communism.

So this but California:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Finally, the San Andreas gets it done the way my relatives envision

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

So this but California:

Yes this what I was envisioning.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

As one of the replies said, flushing wipes is a problem, and it's not this person's to solve.

Back in my hometown, they had to issue public advisories to not flush wipes down the toilet because it clogs up the water filtration systems downstream. They're already working on reduced staff, and yet have to clean the filters 1-2x a week instead of once a month or two.

Imagine tap water running dry not because a drought finally did in California's water reserves, but because too many shitheels can't stand having to empty their garbage a bit more often.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought that was about wet wipes for your butt and was horrified that someone would dig through their neighbor’s trash to check. Though I guess the actual story is only slightly less horrifying.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
We keep those wipes for on the go in the car. I toss my used ones at work or at a gas station. That dude is nuts.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

If Trump’s tendency to actively ratfuck states that won’t vote for him or his party gets worse with subsequent presidents, that just might convince Californians that the riskiness of independence is worth it. Water rights would be a giant mess though and I don’t know how it would be ironed out.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm guessing that a seceded California would look (geographically) a lot like Chile but instead of the Andes defining the eastern border it's the Coast Ranges. And in that case the Colorado River water wouldn't matter at all because we'd have no delta water or Hetch Hetchy water for that matter. Los Angeles and all of it's residents would be consumed by the Mojave within in 2 years and the Owens Valley would flourish once again.

Those of us in the northern part of the New California Republic could survive on weed and garlic for a little longer but without being able to squirrel away all of their money in Delaware our disruptive-scooter-based economy will evaporate and we will finally be 100% homeless when we sell the last Eichler to a Chinese holding company. The U.S. will invade us for enriching too much uranium and we will greet them as liberators.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Realistically (:lol: at using that to describe any of this), you'd probably want to take Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

New Mexico and west Texas can come along too if they want

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm guessing that a seceded California would look (geographically) a lot like Chile but instead of the Andes defining the eastern border it's the Coast Ranges. And in that case the Colorado River water wouldn't matter at all because we'd have no delta water or Hetch Hetchy water for that matter. Los Angeles and all of it's residents would be consumed by the Mojave within in 2 years and the Owens Valley would flourish once again.

Those of us in the northern part of the New California Republic could survive on weed and garlic for a little longer but without being able to squirrel away all of their money in Delaware our disruptive-scooter-based economy will evaporate and we will finally be 100% homeless when we sell the last Eichler to a Chinese holding company. The U.S. will invade us for enriching too much uranium and we will greet them as liberators.

lol youre giving the chudlands too much credit. The chuds are outnumbered bigly, already have big(ish) city enclaves to offset the chudlyness, including the existing capitol, and there's no way coastal CA would be ok with losing 90% of its food and water supply.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Its an interesting factoid that's in no way connected to secession chat but the Federal Government parks all their surplus tanks and stuff in the desert near the town of Herlong, CA. Its fun to look at on google maps.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Polikarpov posted:

Its an interesting factoid that's in no way connected to secession chat but the Federal Government parks all their surplus tanks and stuff in the desert near the town of Herlong, CA. Its fun to look at on google maps.

I wonder what the plane graveyard near Mojave looks like right now

Probably a ton of planes in temporary storage there until air travel picks up again

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Calexit would be funny simply because in one breath the republican states would scream "GOOD! GET OUT OF HERE!"

And then a month later they would complain that they are broke.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Rah! posted:

lol youre giving the chudlands too much credit. The chuds are outnumbered bigly, already have big(ish) city enclaves to offset the chudlyness, including the existing capitol, and there's no way coastal CA would be ok with losing 90% of its food and water supply.

I'm picturing chudland insurrectionists receiving military aid from the United States and eventually re-annexation or whatever you'd call it

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm picturing chudland insurrectionists receiving military aid from the United States and eventually re-annexation or whatever you'd call it

Ever listen to It Could Happen Here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I’m hoping for an alliance with the newly established Holy Deseret Empire to aid us in our struggle for liberation. We can give them the worst chud ridden wasteland parts of California as payment and in return they can act as a giant buffer state between us and the crumbling Great Satan back east.