Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

Lol man Ospreys look like something from Halo. I think VTOL aircraft are so cool, like something a kid would come up with
lol did you play a different halo than everyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

18 hour days for me, for 6 months.

You guys got 6 hours a day off?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CSM posted:

It's obvious that with his 90% approval rating, Zelenskyy is trying to prevent his defeat in the 2024 elections and establish a dictatorship.

In all seriousness: they should take a good look at whether holding elections is practically feasible and can be conducted safely.

Zelenskyy isn't making poo poo up, by constitution and statute Ukraine cannot legally hold elections while martial law is declared. The current declaration is set to expire in August but obviously hey intend to extend it if the war doesn't start wrapping up really drat quickly.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

steinrokkan posted:

Yet another proof this thread is controlled by bloodlusting DoD agents promoting their imperial war

:getin:

Flyinglemur posted:

You guys got 6 hours a day off?

We needed time to eat our fresh steaks instead of MREs in our air conditioned tents :peanut:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

mobby_6kl posted:

Gulf War would do too.

I'm pretty sure that's more aircraft that either side used at any point and it's a small fraction of the coalition force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRgfBXn6Mg

What's the paraglider icon?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Prettz posted:

lol did you play a different halo than everyone else?

Idk I think the osprey looks like the falcon from Halo reach

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tei posted:

No idea. The only russian proverb I know is:

Everything is poo poo, except piss.

My favorite I learned from one of the COVID threads:

"On the whole we live pretty well. Not as good as last year, but better than next year."

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Ground radar dishes I think.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

We needed time to eat our fresh steaks instead of MREs in our air conditioned tents :peanut:

Did you ever get Pizza Hut delivered or was that only in the reboot war?

Tarquinn posted:

Radar installations, he describes it at around 6 minutes

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Anders posted:

Again, no doubt that the US have a stupid large military and could 1v1 all other armies - but as we’ve seen in Afghanistan, gear alone won’t win wars

Edit: plz don’t lump me in with the talkies

This is a fair point, but you're starting to get into the question of when the military part of a war stops and when the political part begins. Afghanistan was an indisputable failure, but I would argue that the failure was not because of the US military not being able to fight.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Thanks! :tipshat:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Hey you know where the safest place to be is during a war in the desert? In submarine.

:smug:

My first deployment to the Gulf I was a gunner on an amphibious assault ship, but we had plenty of air conditioning and good food after we dropped the Marines off. The subsequent deployments on submarines were much more tolerable

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl posted:

Did you ever get Pizza Hut delivered or was that only in the reboot war?

Radar installations, he describes it at around 6 minutes

I never got deployed. I had a special duty project at the Dover Air Force Base Port Mortuary, there were several temporary buildings set up in anticipation of the ground war part of the campaign starting. Intel indicated a possible use of chemical weapons by Saddam's forces; casualties in the first 24 hours of the ground war were anticipated to be up to 5,000 dead.

Pretty loving grim.

My job was to make sure those temporary buildings were negative air pressured; I was an HVAC controls guy at the time- if there were any remains inside the building, none of that air inside was allowed to ever get out in the event they were hit with chemical weapons, including nerve agents.

To protect the local populace.

Who had no loving clue what the gently caress was going on.

We were of course forbidden to speak to the media who bugged everyone who went in and out. I was able to piece all of this together in the months and years following it all but yeah- it was grim.

PTSD is no joke

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol how's that plan going to wait for USA support to wane

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674080557204897795?t=rPAuCOfL1F4GMBkvMrtzAA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674077790432374794?t=d11RRvxjNL6CRv4dtzksUg&s=19

Thoughts on what to do with a collapsed Russian state.

SBU found the spy that directed the missile strike on Kramatorsk that killed multiple civilians, including children

https://twitter.com/kvistp/status/1674014298211794945?t=dPsPRPtsHB1oARaBsRPzMA&s=19

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 28, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

PTSD is no joke

:smith::respek::smith:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
loving republicans, finally managed to find a war they don't like and it has to be this one

As for the other thing, we'll cross that bridge when we get there :shrug:

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

When did Tucker get yanked off the air? I know correlation isn't causation, but...

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Wow I figured support for the war would steadily decrease as war fatigue sets in.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How much of increased support is down to Tucker Carlson not being on fox news every day?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
He was kicked off the air on April 24th, happy birthday to me

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I'd imagine at least some of it is that we haven't seen it escalate into WW3 and we've resisted boots on the ground. Those are things a good portion of people were worried about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roman Reigns posted:

Wow I figured support for the war would steadily decrease as war fatigue sets in.

It was a poll conducted June 26th-27th, so there's a chance that maybe people's responses were colored by a bunch of news that happened over the weekend. Maybe some event happened that made Russia look less invincible and people got their hopes up?

Nah, what am I talking about, RUSSIA STRONK and Putin is in a better position than ever so that clearly can't be it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674054582295490562?t=xsMjjHeUL8-FTBmX54Zh3Q&s=19

Just a reminder of what Ukraine is fighting against

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah but ignoring the Z crowd, the question "how do you run elections in wartime when cruise missiles exist" is an important one.

Even if the war winds down somewhat by the end of the year (HIGHLY unlikely), polling stations will remain in danger as long as Russia is still mobilized and ready to fire Iskanders at terror targets.

So sure, maybe you can delay elections for a year or two, but what do you do if it goes on that long and Russia hasn't fully given up yet? For example, can you run an election purely on mail voting, in a country with well-known corruption problems? Or maybe you can try for a 2-day truce, if you have enough of a stick to believe that the Russians will respect it?

You’re dealing with the kind of credulous dummy who fully believes that Russia only fires highly accurate missile strikes at military targets and any collateral is the result of Ukraine stupidly shooting them down or just flat out fabrications.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So um... we would love to sell a bunch of tanks (and other weapons) to people, as long as they agree not to use such tanks or weapons to defend themselves against an invasion?

Are the Swiss just not wanting to have any military exports at all after this?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Locator posted:

So um... we would love to sell a bunch of tanks (and other weapons) to people, as long as they agree not to use such tanks or weapons to defend themselves against an invasion?
“Themselves” is the key word here.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

The Locator posted:

Lots of countries have sacked orders placed. Military companies are not happy with the government

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Tai posted:

Lots of countries have sacked orders placed. Military companies are not happy with the government

It's a bare knuckle battle between the wicked swiss bankers and their neutral world banking supremacy vs swiss arms industry.....

I'm betting the bankers win (hint: the bankers always win)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

The Locator posted:

The Swiss reasoning here is not to sell weapons to countries that are in a conflict with another nation, therefore placing themselves ~indirectly~ in opposition to that other nation, which means neutering their stance of neutrality.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zzulu posted:

It might be a surprise to certain Americans that holding an election during war is a bad thing since you guys did that successfully during a couple of wars. The major MAJOR difference here is that your borders were not threatened and your civilians were generally safe in all the modern wars.

Ukrainian citizens are demonstrably not safe at all and their cities keep getting bombed. Even if you could, you should not hold an election in such an environment

Not to mention a fair number of Ukrainian citizens are in occupied territory and it's unlikely that the occupying nazis will allow them to set up polling places.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Roman Reigns posted:

It turns out that when one side in a conflict decides to go all war crimes all the time, people tend to support the other side.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russia blowing up the dam also made international headlines and helped shore up support too

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Roman Reigns posted:

The US isn't dealing with war fatigue.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Locator posted:

Swiss policy is that they'll sell weapons in peacetime, but providing weapons to nation currently in a shooting war is taking a side, and Swiss policy is to never take sides.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/06/28/7408947/

quote:

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has awarded the title of Hero of Ukraine to Colonel Serhii Yaremenko, the commander of the 96th Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade of the Tsentr (Centre) Air Command. Since the beginning of the large-scale invasion, Colonel Serhii "Hranit" (Granite) Yaremenko has led a team that repels air attacks in one of the most responsible areas, Ukraine's centre and north. And most importantly, the unit provides air defence of the Ukrainian capital.

It was the anti-aircraft unit under the command of Yaremenko that withstood the frenzied air attacks on the capital in May and June, not allowing any of the more than 200 targets to accurately hit the objects and destroying 13 "indestructible" X-47 Kinzhal hypersonic missiles.

Quote: "They mastered modern anti-aircraft missile systems from various manufacturers and bypassed the theory of probability, increasingly demonstrating a 100 per cent result."
:ukraine:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

They can enjoy their communist bread lines and ration stamps after the war ends, and with luck, the nonexistence of their mafia gas station after it breaks up. Disgusting pieces of poo poo like this have no place in civilized society.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Anders posted:

While I have no doubt the US have the most advanced military, I have doubts that their military will perform as good in the real world as on paper as many think

Here are my thoughts

the military industrial complex aren’t motivated by actual performance but by profit - military spending isn’t worth that much when you use screws that cost 10000x a normal screw that is identical

The MIC are absolutely profit driven, but a lot of the cost comes in the US DoD acquisition side of things requiring extensive documentation on basically every aspect of how a thing was made to ensure it was made following the proper specs and manufacturing processes so it will perform as its supposed to, in addition to making sure the company itself and the supply chain they use is safe from any kind of espionage, sabotage, or general issues in a time of war.
The phrase 'good enough for government work' used to actually mean something that was extremely well made because of that. There are probably hundreds of thousands of specs that are still in active use that were formerly created by the US government and were then handed off to non-government standards organizations.

There actually was a massive controversy some years ago that just wrapped up on the F35, where a subcontractor of a subcontractor of a subcontractor (probably) was found to be supplying Chinese-made magnets for use in the turbine engines.

It's a very minor thing and the investigation ended with 'yeah they're safe to fly', but there's still liability there.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lol ope, putin might want to pay more attention to this generals..

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/18817

quote:

Plot Thickens: Russian Generals Supported Wagner Mutiny but Backed Out – US Intelligence

Reports are appearing, in The New York Times and elsewhere, that senior Russian military officers may have known about chief of the Wagner mercenary force chief Yevgeny Prigozhin’s plans in advance and may have indicated they would support him or may have actually helped plan it.

US Intelligence agencies believe that General Sergei Surovikin, the deputy commander of Russia’s military operations in Ukraine may have supported Wagner’s move as a precursor to the removal of Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov.

Surovikin, who the Russian media gave the sobriquet “General Armageddon” because of his “scorched earth” tactics in Syria, was appointed head of operations in Ukraine in October.

However, shortly after taking over in November, he humiliatingly had to withdraw his troops from the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson. In January, in a sign that Putin had lost faith in Surovikin’s leadership, he was replaced by Gerasimov. Surovikin, who is also commander of the Russian Aerospace Forces supporting operations in Ukraine, remained as deputy.

Prigozhin and others, such as Igor Girkin a staunchly pro-war Russian milblogger and war criminal, made no secret of their disdain for Russia’s military leaders and blamed them for the failure of Putin’s “special military operation”. It is suspected that Surovikin shared that view, and it was suggested that, because of this, he may well have helped plan Mr. Prigozhin’s actions last weekend, an accusation that US Intelligence is said to be investigating.

The New York Times reported that American intelligence officials also said there were signs that other Russian generals may have been informed of Wagner’s plans and expressed sympathy for their grievances.

They highlight the fact that the first deputy head of the Main Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, Vladimir Alekseyev condemned Wagner’s rebellion, but just hours later, Prigozhin moved unopposed into the Russian city of Rostov-on-Don and Alekseyev was filmed speaking with him in the city.

Michael McFaul, a former US ambassador to Russia, said: “Think of how easy it was to take Rostov. There are armed guards everywhere in Russia, and suddenly, there’s no one around to do anything?”

Independent experts as well as US and allied officials are reported in The Times that they believe Prigozhin may have been led to believe that a large part of Russia’s army would rally to his side as he headed for Moscow. It was the fact that such support did not materialize that he turned back less than 200 kilometers from Moscow, rather than his claim that he had made his point and wanted to avoid any more bloodshed.

Analysts feel that Putin knowing, or at least suspecting, that there was some sort of conspiracy between Prigozhin, Surovikin and other generals, has decided to “sweep it under the carpet.” This may explain his acceptance of the deal that would allow the Wagner rebels, including Prigozhin, to choose exile rather than be tried for treason, as called for by most of the Kremlin and Russia’s media hawks.

Commentators feel that the fact that US leaders have largely failed to comment on the rebellion, other than to say it was an internal Russian issue, is intended to avoid reinforcing Putin’s narrative that Prigozhin was, in some way, acting on the orders or under the direction of the West.

It is the general assessment among the US and UK intelligence communities that, if Wagner’s uprising did have support or the approval of Surovikin and others, it reveals that the breakdown in the relationship between Russian generals and Putin’s top two military commanders, Gerasimov and Shoigu, was becoming ever more serious.

It is known that the Russian president doesn’t like remove personnel that he trusts, even when they fail. That may explain why Shoigu and, more critically, Surovikin are still in post. However, if there was a link between Surovikin, Prigozhin and others and that was to be proved and become public, Putin would have no option but to act. The loss of “General Armageddon” to the occupying forces would be beneficial to Ukraine in the conduct of its war.

Stop Press

A Report has appeared on the “Ukraine” Telegram channel, quoting the Russian rosZMI media channel that Surovikin was arrested on the evening of June 27 and is detained in the Lefortovo pre-trial detention center along with his deputy, Colonel-General Andriy Yudin.

Kyiv Post was unable to verify this at this time and is investigating.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

pacerwpg posted:

Did they know they could melt and reforge it at the time?

Have you ever had a long and difficult project you're already kinda sick of fall apart in your hands right before the finish line?

NihilCredo posted:

Or maybe you can try for a 2-day truce, if you have enough of a stick to believe that the Russians will respect it?

This would be a very bad idea unless Russia has literally run out of weapons. Which I guess amounts to a specific understanding of "enough of a stick", but like ... "fought you to a standstill 20% of the way into our country, ~10% of which you already had military in" should have been enough of a stick to begin with, should be right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Americans may love, love making fun of ourselves, our many flaws, and our own government’s seemly inept bureaucracy but our logistics are far and away the deadliest thing on the planet right now (for better or worse)

it’s not a matter of America = good as much as, look at the other guys