Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

wa27 posted:

The Atari VCS indidgogo has gone live:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-computers-pc#/

It's getting backers at a surprising pace. I think it still qualifies as an awful kickstarter though.

I really just do not understand the appeal of this at all. Especially not at the price they're setting this at [$200 on the low end].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

"We are building a distinctly 'Atari' user experience" is the best preemptive self own in Kickstarter history.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

T-man posted:

"We are building a distinctly 'Atari' user experience"

Says a company that's only connection is that they bought the name.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

muscles like this! posted:

I mean it's been over 20 years they've had the name at this point. And before they got the name, "Atari" had been split up between multiple sometimes-working-together-sometimes-not companies for a good 10 years as a result of some decision from Warner Bros. The whole Hasbro/Infogrames/Whatever group has kept the name in one place for longer than anyone else managed.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
jfc it's at 2 million dollars

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

jfc it's at 2 million dollars

love to spend hundreds of dollars on yet another big plastic dust collector that i'll probably need to move another console out of the way for

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The kids of the Atari 2600 generation are right at that age where they have audiophile-level money and interest, but aren't old enough to be unable to play videogames. It's pure nostalgia targeting a group that can afford it. Not a bad kickstarter in itself, from a business sense, but will probably end up being abandoned a year after launch as people remember "oh wait these games sucked I was just some dipshit kid who didn't have anything better to do."

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
But.. you can easily get an atari 2600 and games for less than that. All mine still work. They never break.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That Atari kickstarter is already almost at 2.2 million. :psyduck:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Kharmakazy posted:

But.. you can easily get an atari 2600 and games for less than that. All mine still work. They never break.

Or you could spend about $40 on one of those Atari Flashback systems [of which there are many] that comes with dozens of games and easily connects to modern TVs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if there is a strong market for making an emulator and stuffing it into an old game systems case.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

200 bux for a well made product that should last 30+ years isn't bad. But I am willing to bet it'll be cheaply made garbage.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

atari kickstarter posted:

It’s from Atari, so of course there are classic arcade games, plus the latest modern and Indie PC titles from a wide variety of independent developers.

Built on an open source Linux OS so you can add your own software and apps to customize your own platform.

So it's a steam box with a built in Atari emulator and an Atari case.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Sounds like a raspberry pi to me. :shrug:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

As a dipshit kid who played and enjoyed both E.T. AND the Pac-Man port this is hilarious and makes me feel better about backing the gaming dice Kickstarter that hit about a million.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
It's an Ouya.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Have you even seen the advancements they made with this thing:

That silhouette is refined as gently caress!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

In fairness that is a very Atari user experience.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tuyop posted:

Sounds like a raspberry pi to me. :shrug:

It does, but its really depends on the person whether you find it worthwhile to DIY that particular thing. I happily bought an Armiga, an ARM-based Amiga emulator even though I probably could've made a Pi-based one myself. I would've hated every minute of making one as I can't stand coding, so I'll gladly outsource that hell to someone. The people behind this thing could absolutely disappear overnight, but so far they've updated the firmware and added AGA support.

Plus, the case is wonderful:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

As a dipshit kid who played and enjoyed both E.T. AND the Pac-Man port this is hilarious and makes me feel better about backing the gaming dice Kickstarter that hit about a million.

Kraken Dice make excellent products though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Have you even seen the advancements they made with this thing:

That silhouette is refined as gently caress!

Don't forget that sweet holistic ecosystem.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
So this $100 smart fingerprint padlock;

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tapp-the-world-s-first-smart-fingerprint-padlock#/

Can apparently be easily broken into by anyone who has a Phillips screwdriver;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxM55DNS9CE

edit: You can skip to about 3:30 to see the process of opening it with a screwdriver but I think it's interesting enough to watch the first part of it anyway

As he mentions, if the back was welded on and/or they used proprietary screws then this wouldn't really be a problem but hey that would be expecting too much from a $100 padlock right?

homewrecker has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jun 2, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Proprietary screws don't do that much - all it does is raise the bar from "anyone with a regular screwdriver" to "anyone willing to carve a screwdriver into a new and exciting shape", which is still hilariously vulnerable.

The usual solution is to make the screw that holds everything together only accessible when the lock is open.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Padlocks are mostly a visual deterrent anyway. You could just break the lock with boltcutters if you wanted.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

homewrecker posted:

So this $100 smart fingerprint padlock;

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tapp-the-world-s-first-smart-fingerprint-padlock#/

Can apparently be easily broken into by anyone who has a Phillips screwdriver;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxM55DNS9CE

edit: You can skip to about 3:30 to see the process of opening it with a screwdriver but I think it's interesting enough to watch the first part of it anyway

As he mentions, if the back was welded on and/or they used proprietary screws then this wouldn't really be a problem but hey that would be expecting too much from a $100 padlock right?

$100 for something that's actually built worse than a Masterlock. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKMsvx8vvo

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Did anyone have that channel that's just a guy dunking on terrible kickstarters. Not retsupurae.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
idubbz?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

edit: nevermind, looks like that guy's a transphobic/homophobic rear end in a top hat!

any other peeps that dunk on kickstarters but preferably without the horrible bigotry

FluxFaun has a new favorite as of 10:15 on Jun 2, 2018

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
your kickstarter sucks is the most important podcast of the 21st century

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't care if this is not an awful Kickstarter, I just want to tell people about it.

The Ruth Bader Ginsburg Action Figure.

Presumably it comes with several hundred points of articulation, mostly against the latest dipshit repressive Republican policy.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jedit posted:

I don't care if this is not an awful Kickstarter, I just want to tell people about it.

Presumably it comes with several hundred points of articulation, mostly against the latest dipshit repressive Republican policy.

Well you got one referral point from me. I'm not going to bother posting my link but I have a friend who this would make the perfect birthday present for. Hope they'll be done/ship out by October.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Can't get the link to post properly on my phone. But Facebook just suggested I back the *sensorwake*. An alarm clock that works on...smell. Unsurprisingly you have to buy special scent capsules to keep it working.

Also Google apparently says it's going to "Change the world", something that's getting slated in the comments since they haven't provided any proof Google actually said that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

Eh, makes for a cool gag gift. Local toystore has a Sigmund Freud and Jesus action figures, a couple others too I think like Einstein? They make good gifts.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

$100 for something that's actually built worse than a Masterlock. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKMsvx8vvo

It was worth watching the build-up to :redhammer:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Roblo posted:

Can't get the link to post properly on my phone. But Facebook just suggested I back the *sensorwake*. An alarm clock that works on...smell. Unsurprisingly you have to buy special scent capsules to keep it working.

Also Google apparently says it's going to "Change the world", something that's getting slated in the comments since they haven't provided any proof Google actually said that.

stupidest loving timeline

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

super sweet best pal posted:

It was worth watching the build-up to :redhammer:

It does make me wonder what's so hard about carrying an additional key.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Roblo posted:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Roblo posted:

Can't get the link to post properly on my phone. But Facebook just suggested I back the *sensorwake*. An alarm clock that works on...smell.
In fairness I have farted myself awake on a couple of occasions.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
I know that games being kickstarted and the final games being disappointments is nothing unusual but the incompetence of horror game Agony is kind of noteworthy in that they ran a campaign largely based on a grotesque Hell setting only to find out after the fact that they wouldn't actually be able to release it on consoles because it would get an AO rating. Whoops! Then they promised backers that they would get away with it by releasing a patch on PC to restore the censored content only to find out that while a lot of developers did do that on the sly in the past to get around Steam's content restrictions by actually openly and officially stating the intent they weren't allowed to do it. Double whoops!

quote:

Firstly, we have managed to include a lot of things that we originally wanted to provide in the patch in the final game. It has been accepted by PEGI and other rating companies. The censorship now affects only several seconds from two endings (out of seven) and some scenes that may be unlocked only after the end of the game. We will be able to show them to you in a video that we are planning to release soon.

None of the scenes you have seen in the trailers and other promotional materials have been censored at all, and the game will feature those on all platforms:

- Gore
- Brutal Sex Scenes
- Lesbian and Gay Sex Scenes
- Genital Physics
- Eye Gouging
- Heart Plucking
- Children Heads’ Exploding
- Setting Fire to Martyrs and Demons
- Intense Violence
- Strong Language
- Drugs

Secondly, due to legal issues, we are not going to be able to release the Adult Only patch. However, that content does not affect the game in any significant way because the deleted material that was supposed to be added in the latest version of the patch is from two endings (out of seven) and some scenes that may be unlocked only after the end of the game. We are going to publish a comparison video on May 30th, 2018 so you will not miss out anything.

Please bear in mind that leaving this content uncensored would result in the game being banned and us, Madmind Studio, being sued. That would simply lead to the studio being closed. Obviously, we don’t want this to happen and we hope that you understand it.

Then when they published the video of the 'censored' content they did so by putting it on YouTube, where it was subsequently taken down for content violations. Whoops again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c2XUY256VY

Also some of the quotes they selected from the campaign are funny in how completely non-committal they are or how they left quotes from non-English sources untranslated on their English-language pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you have to start dipping into other languages to find enough positive quotes then I kind of wonder about the game's quality. Especially since a full three of them are just talking about the good start the campaign funding had, lol