Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Grats, rank decay brought me from eagle 2 to at most dmg and i cant get oit anymore.
Playtime and wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

ArfJason posted:

Grats, rank decay brought me from eagle 2 to at most dmg and i cant get oit anymore.
Playtime and wins?

I stopped playing in bout Oct '16 and started again this September. I decayed to LEM (seems to not fall further than that?) and been playing on and off since then as a group and solo. 333 Wins, 1460 hours. Played about 150 hours since starting again, so quite a lot (for me). Mostly on FaceIT, where I am currently drifting between Level 6-7.

My impressions are that MM has lost a LOT of players, FaceIT is now seemingly a bigger platform than MM overall. I can get a game on FaceIT in seconds, MM takes like 2-3 mins. I also feel like the game has been significantly cleaned up. Other than me getting mad cos bad, I've barely met anybody who I felt was blatantly cheating at the higher ends of MM. Not like when every second Global wasn't even legit.

e: in fact I just checked and since September, I've played 2 players who have been VAC'd on MM and both sucked. My last 10 games in 2016 had 14 different VAC/OW banned players lol.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is the M4A1S worth using over the M4? Also how about the Deagle, is it ever worth buying?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Is the M4A1S worth using over the M4? Also how about the Deagle, is it ever worth buying?

Equip the M4A1s and just use the AUG in other spots where you need the extra ammo.

Deagle is good on long range eco's but you have to have decent aim.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

icantfindaname posted:

I think it is if you hold off angles at decent range. I love hiding above pit on D2 and watching long. The recoil is more vertical than AUG/M4 but super similar. An extra mag of ammo helps a lot but you really want to be tapping a lot. AUG is better in that role though (long range tapping) so you really are making the choice of being sneaky or being loud and accurate.

Id rather buy a Mac10/Mp9 than a deagle but they are great IF you know how to use then.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Do you like prefiring corners a lot/shooting into smoke/holding an angle for a while without reloading? A4.
Do you like easier recoil/precision especially at long range? A1S

Deagle really depends on your aim and how good you are at timing your shots with your momentum cancelling when doing strafes.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Scout/deag/tazer is the only ethical loadout you can buy in this game

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Jeza posted:

e: in fact I just checked and since September, I've played 2 players who have been VAC'd on MM and both sucked. My last 10 games in 2016 had 14 different VAC/OW banned players lol.

How do you check if people you played against got banned?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Search for vac ban checket on chrome store or in greasemonkey
Go into your games section ib your steam profile
Check csgo's drop down arrow and check game data or something
There should be a matchmaking games tab
If the plugin is workibg you should see the option to check currently liaded matches or check all matches
Hf

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

fyallm posted:

How do you check if people you played against got banned?

e: Arf said

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Big smiles from mouz going into game 1. I wanna see a comparison shot in a few hours.

Edit: only took one game

Fauxshiz fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 23, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

real good final this

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

That overpass match is probably the best map since c9 vs faze at the Boston major

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The only time I'll ever cheer for MIBR. Rip

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
https://clips.twitch.tv/NimbleBelovedAniseStoneLightning

My favorite part is that he disconnects IMMEDIATELY

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Just ranked up to silver 5.

I played some casual and noticed some problems with how I play.

Basically, I don't peek enough. I check my corners as I go around them. While I think I'm quickly stepping out and finding someone to aim at, I noticed from the other person's perspective that I'm actually just walking around the corner and standing in the same place for an excruciating amount of time. Also, when I do peek, I end up having angles on multiple enemies, which gets me killed fast as both start shooting at me. Okay, seems obvious. Peek more instead of going around corners. And peek less wide.

Now, maybe that's my main problem right now, but I'm *also* finding it reeeeeeally hard to take sites as T on inferno, cache, nuke. Generally, I try to wait for the CTs to get impatient and come out one by one like idiots, then take a site with a number advantage like a 5v4 or a 4v3, but that doesn't seem to work when I play games with higher ranked players, like gn1s or gn2s. It also seems like I get headshot pretty much instantly as soon as I turn a corner.

Is it time for me to start following a teammate religiously so I can bait/trade him if he peaks first or jump out and get headshot and hope he's planning to bait/trade me?

Seems like sites are nearly impossible to crack if the enemy team doesn't have at least one CT who comes running out after 30-40 seconds every round.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Maybe jiggle-peaking or shoulder-peaking might work? If I can bait a shot or two from someone watching my corner with an m4 or ak, then their aim should be a little worse, and I will know where they are, so if I can get good at pre-aiming, I might be able to get a headshot them?

If they hide as soon as they shoot then I'm not sure what to do, though.

Say I show my shoulder, then they shoot and hit my shoulder, then I peek and they're not there, and I hide again because I don't want to get peeked. Then what?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The retake epiphany you're looking for is utility.

As to how to peek, it can't easily be conveyed by text or as a single rule.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I see. I'll take a look at some pro demos and see what it's like to be on the receiving end of grenades as a CT holding a site, and try to look at how they peek, too.

Thank you!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

My phone response was a bit glib this morning, but how to deal with peeking is very much context sensitive. How you react as a CT jiggle-peeking in a 5v5 situation is different to how it should be when, let's say, you're the last CT left on a site in a 3v5. Whether you challenge and how you choose to do so is dependent on a lot of factors.

If you want a quick rule of thumb, basically it's this: if you jiggle-peek and see an enemy who sees you, you don't peek that angle again unless you have a pressing reason to get the kill or think you have the advantage (for example in HP, backup, weaponry, pop-flash etc.)

Why? Because you are inverting the situation. While 'peeker's advantage' is a thing in terms of netcode, in CS in general, the defender has the advantage for the simple reason that the enemy is simply walking into your crosshair, and you are presumably in a nice spot, probably partially covered or slightly elevated. By peeking an angle twice that you were jiggle-peeking, you are now attacking and they are defending. They saw you, they have their crosshair placed waiting for you to peek again. You are at a disadvantage in that engagement.

If you are watching pro games, you will see players who are jiggle-peeking (and don't get the kill on the first peek) will most commonly reposition or drop utility in response rather than challenge again. This is the standard playbook as a rifler. As an AWPer, it's more related to how big your balls are and whether you're cocky enough and with the reactions/aim to back it up whether you might re-peek an angle over and over.

Take this with a grain of salt, do not live by any hard and fast rule. There are layers upon layers of complexities if you really examine it. As a Silver 5, I can at least pretty much guarantee you that you are massively over-challenging in almost every situation. In CS, right up until the tippy-tippy top of the game (and even there), generally speaking the more 'conservative' play is the correct one. Every player (including myself) is massively at the mercy of Dunning-Kruger in that you believe that you are going to beat that person on the other end of the crosshair in an even duel. That perception is flawed. Play like a rat and put yourself in the situations where you have the advantage as often as possible rather than fight mano a mano and you'll find your performance improve measurably.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Any advice on how to get better and/or carry at silver master or GN1, especially in solo queue? I feel like the players at this rank are especially bad. Like they're not that bad in pure mechanical terms, they can get kills, they're just dumb as a rock and/or feel like they took stupid pills. Really sluggish reactions, awful game sense, completely unable to work as a team especially on T side, where they just sort of pick routes to go down at random. I'm usually in the top half of the scoreboard but I'm not good enough to carry these teams. Of course I'm at the same rank so I'm probably not that much better. Is there any way you can play to mitigate this? Just not play solo queue at this rank/only play goonmans? Just watch lots of pro footage?

Here's my last match, and the team was not nearly as bad as some others. I'm Vizzini in game

steam://rungame/730/76561202255233023/+csgo_download_match%20CSGO-uTMqp-OLqJz-ML8Q7-C2aEt-nCHCF

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I wouldn't solo queue at that rank, check out the sub.io discord and ask for some MM teammates there. You'll probably end up queuing with higher ranked players but that will help you improve faster.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
get good at fragging and rush everything on t side and/or bait relentlessly

good luck sir

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Always solo queue, never have your mic on, always bait your teammates.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

Always solo queue, never have your mic on, always bait your teammates.

I'm living proof this works super well

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I soolo que a lot around that level and basically you have to tell yourself youre gonna get poo poo teammates and lose. Everytime you que.

Utility is big. Knowing smokes and flashes is what I feel typically what sets me apart. I check the advanced stats and Ill usually only see 1 other person flashing or doing any UD. My aim isnt the best but I counter that by positioning. I stay unpredictable (for enemies) and stick to my role unless needed. Everyone wants to AWP so get used to being a rifle/support player unless youre hot with it. Learning when to rotate is huge too. Sneakier plays at that level like fakes and poo poo. Also, make sure to tell your teammates that they should try to stay alive and lose site vs. Dying to 5 angry terrorists with glocks. Retaking is easier with more teammates.

Find at least one other person to que with if you can. It makes a lot of difference. You go in trusting at least one person has your back. Others tend to do the same if they see you working together.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

If you aren't "able to carry" in silver you're probably not a good enough mechanically still. Good crosshair placement should be able to get you through silver ranks. Don't worry about "utility" and "roles". If you're good with the awp then awp if you're good with a rifle then rifle. poo poo if you're good with the p-90 then p-90. All you're doing in silver is basically trying to figure out where to look and how to use your headphones. After you hit gold nova you can worry about spray patterns and smokes.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

The silver ranks are all about being able to overcome your teammate who says nothing but the n word over and over

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In silver remember to ABN:
Always Buy Negev

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
As long as you know the most basic poo poo like the map you're playing on and how to avoid the most stupid of deaths pure aim (a lot of which is xhair placement tbf) will always take you much higher in an mm environment than a lot of people think.

My aim is bad but my gamesense (and will to tryhard) is worse, especially if I casually play a match here and there instead of playing a lot. So it's not really my place to be talking poo poo about other people. But when I used to pug at ranks/faceit levels considered to be somewhat less lovely you'd see a bunch of people repeatedly making silver level plays and getting bailed out by their aim.

Kehveli fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 4, 2018

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
New Operation:

Battle Royale Mode
Game is now F2P
http://counter-strike.net/dangerzone

What is included with CS:GO?
CS:GO (now available for free) is the full game. New CS:GO players will receive access to all game modes, matchmaking, and a limited set of item drops and weapon cases.

What is Prime Status and how do I get it?
Prime Status is an upgrade available to all CS:GO players. When you have Prime Status you are matched with other players who also have Prime Status, and Prime users are eligible for Prime-exclusive souvenir items, item drops, and weapon cases.

There are two ways to upgrade your account to Prime Status; reach Rank 21 by earning XP and add an eligible phone number to your Steam account, or purchase the CS:GO Prime Status Upgrade in-game or through the Steam Store.

I am already a CS:GO player with Prime Status. How does CS:GO going free to play affect me?
As an existing CS:GO user with Prime Status your experience in CS:GO should not be affected. You will continue to play CS:GO with other Prime Status players and receive drops and weapon cases from the same drop lists, some of which are Prime-exclusive.

Additionally, as a Prime Status member you are be eligible for the new Prime-exclusive Danger Zone Souvenir MP5-SD | Lab Rats, available until January 9th, 2019. And if you have played CS:GO in the five years leading up to the Danger Zone update you will receive the CS:GO Loyalty Badge!

I previously purchased CS:GO but did not opt into Prime Status. How does CS:GO going free to play affect me?
All users who already own CS:GO but have not opted into Prime Status have automatically been upgraded to Prime Status. Even if you do not have a phone number on your account, you now have Prime Status.

Hako fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 6, 2018

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Hako posted:

New Operation:

Battle Royale Mode
Game is now F2P
http://counter-strike.net/dangerzone

What is included with CS:GO?
CS:GO (now available for free) is the full game. New CS:GO players will receive access to all game modes, matchmaking, and a limited set of item drops and weapon cases.

What is Prime Status and how do I get it?
Prime Status is an upgrade available to all CS:GO players. When you have Prime Status you are matched with other players who also have Prime Status, and Prime users are eligible for Prime-exclusive souvenir items, item drops, and weapon cases.

There are two ways to upgrade your account to Prime Status; reach Rank 21 by earning XP and add an eligible phone number to your Steam account, or purchase the CS:GO Prime Status Upgrade in-game or through the Steam Store.

I am already a CS:GO player with Prime Status. How does CS:GO going free to play affect me?
As an existing CS:GO user with Prime Status your experience in CS:GO should not be affected. You will continue to play CS:GO with other Prime Status players and receive drops and weapon cases from the same drop lists, some of which are Prime-exclusive.

Additionally, as a Prime Status member you are be eligible for the new Prime-exclusive Danger Zone Souvenir MP5-SD | Lab Rats, available until January 9th, 2019. And if you have played CS:GO in the five years leading up to the Danger Zone update you will receive the CS:GO Loyalty Badge!

I previously purchased CS:GO but did not opt into Prime Status. How does CS:GO going free to play affect me?
All users who already own CS:GO but have not opted into Prime Status have automatically been upgraded to Prime Status. Even if you do not have a phone number on your account, you now have Prime Status.

Holy cow, I didn't believe. Praise Gaben I guess.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Hako posted:

As an existing CS:GO user with Prime Status your experience in CS:GO should not be affected.

Not gonna be affected my rear end, requiring a phone number for Prime was a good additional hurdle to deter hackers and smurfs.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

feelix posted:

Not gonna be affected my rear end, requiring a phone number for Prime was a good additional hurdle to deter hackers and smurfs.

Not really. You can get a new phone number as easily as you can get a new e-mail.

Now they have to pay 15 bucks.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Shroud streaming it right now. Think he is playing with n0thing.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Push El Burrito posted:

Not really. You can get a new phone number as easily as you can get a new e-mail.

Now they have to pay 15 bucks.

Uh they had to pay 15 bucks before as well. Were you really just able to use a Google Voice number? I didn't realize those could receive texts. Either way, no matter how simple, it's one less step for people to be able to be matched with me, and that sucks.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Cool lol

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Another mode for me to be bad at

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

feelix posted:

Uh they had to pay 15 bucks before as well. Were you really just able to use a Google Voice number? I didn't realize those could receive texts. Either way, no matter how simple, it's one less step for people to be able to be matched with me, and that sucks.

I'm imagining Steam having sales on Prime and I know it will happen because it is the worst choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
How do I get this MP5 in the danger zone?