Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That seems high. Annectotally I know people who got hit three times, but seven
Ah, misread. Yeah in another 4 years. I can see this. Seven times was also the result of my napkin math about how many reinfections will give half the population long covid. Excited to find out whether I guessed right.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 11:21 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Seem to me trying to sweep half of the population becoming disabled with long Covid under the carpet in scant few years is impossible, but I'm excited to see how and what mental loops they'll come up with!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

NeonPunk posted:

Seem to me trying to sweep half of the population becoming disabled with long Covid under the carpet in scant few years is impossible, but I'm excited to see how and what mental loops they'll come up with!

Explains why they're starting to roll out MAID.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

“it’s always been like this.”

we killed off all the old people so you can’t ask them what it used to be like. the birth rate has declined every year for a decade and will surely continue dropping so there won’t be any kids around to compare your failing health to, and even if there are our continued dismantling of every social safety net ensures the they’ll be hosed up by poverty, addiction, or illness.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It always have been like this might work if it was over a bit longer time of period, not in 3 or 4 years.

I don't think that people's memories are that bad that they cannot remember what happened 6 months ago much less a few years

milkandbananas
Jun 24, 2006

My plan is to hug and kiss those cute little wrinkles on your brain!
wow, I really appreciate all the advice and responsiveness.

I started a new job last year at an animal hospital and it was never mentioned during the interview. the only comments anyone ever made to me about it were "oh yeah, you can't smell that because your mask."
about 4 months in someone finally asked why I mask all the time, so I lied and said I care for someone who's immunocompromised. they said they understood and didn't pursue it further.
most of our staff has been sick 1 or more times in the past few months. two are pregnant and the one who had been coughing for 8+ weeks was telling the other she thought covid had been over for a while.
some days I would see 1 or 2 coworkers wearing a surgical in the morning while sipping a drink then no mask a few hours later.
couple of days ago in our slack chat, 1 coworker's kid has strep throat and diarrhea but getting dropped at school and another had to call out to take their sick kid to the doctor.

sorry for the rant but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
the new new job would be at a plant nursery.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

The Doomsday Economics thread has posts about how France and Canada are expanding medical euthanasia measures

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Seems like awful lot of people are having sore throat with little bit of laryngitis on the side everywhere all within the same time frame.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

not me, I feel fine

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I've done several job interviews and absolutely no one questioned my mask. The only comment I got was one guy who said "Masks are still compulsory here out on the floor, which I see wouldn't be a problem for you." We were in the back-of-house area and absolutely no one was masking back there, lol.

(I didn't get any of those jobs, still unemployed)

Yeah this would genuinely be my concern. I don't think anyone is going to make fun of you and say you're not getting the job because you showed up to the interview in a mask but the second you walk out of that room and hiring team starts talking to each other about "culture fit" it could be over.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

It always have been like this might work if it was over a bit longer time of period, not in 3 or 4 years.

I don't think that people's memories are that bad that they cannot remember what happened 6 months ago much less a few years

people will believe whatever lets them continue pretending the terrifying isn’t actually what’s happening.

all it will take is a twice yearly NYT opinion piece about how things have always been this way and things have always been good so things are good now.

every day, in every way, things are getting better and better.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
speaking of!

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/13/us/covid-national-emergency-anniversary.html

no I can't read it because of the paywall, no I don't really care to

nvm got to do a fun proxy thing to get through to Archive: https://archive.is/OMvRU

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Mar 13, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

tuyop posted:

people will believe whatever lets them continue pretending the terrifying isn’t actually what’s happening.

all it will take is a twice yearly NYT opinion piece about how things have always been this way and things have always been good so things are good now.

every day, in every way, things are getting better and better.

Any mention on Reddit of everyone being sick all the time has tons of "actually this is nothing new" comments

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Clint Newman, of Albuquerque, spent the first year of the pandemic in isolation, alone in his apartment.

“I went over 12 months without touching another human being,” he said. “It was brutalizing. It scarred me pretty deeply.”

Mr. Newman said that he notices what he believes to be the lasting effects of the pandemic all around him.

“I see it in people’s anger, in people’s aggressive driving,” he said. “It just seems that there’s a lot of unhappiness and rage in the world right now. And I think a lot of that goes back to the lockdown.”

goddamnit

Apr 7, 2003

That's going to be orthodoxy going forward, that "the lockdown" caused all the problems. We will never see a serious public health response to anything ever again.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

NeonPunk posted:

They already have their play. Immunity debt from lockdowns. I'm sure in a few years we'll learn about the dreadful long term consequences of that immunity debt.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

If you went 12 months without touching another human being that's cause no human beings wanted to touch you lol. There was no where in the country with requirements that strict even at the start of lockdowns.

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

If you went 12 months without touching another human being that's cause no human beings wanted to touch you lol. There was no where in the country with requirements that strict even at the start of lockdowns.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PoundSand posted:

it... could also be because you didn't want to loving die and didn't have a significant other or any family/friends you trusted to be in intimate contact with you.

12 months would have been March 20 to February 21, when the vaccine hadn't even rolled out to non-elderly people.

I take the point about nowhere having even remotely anything close to a MANDATE to not touch people.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ll have to figure out during the early days of the pandemic when I learned about better masks.

I still have my unopening single N95 that was like a last resort since we were using cloth masks at the time. thanks thread.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Mar 13, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

12 months would have been March 20 to February 21

brain fog

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it... could also be because you didn't want to loving die and didn't have a significant other or any family/friends you trusted to be in intimate contact with you.

12 months would have been March 20 to February 21, when the vaccine hadn't even rolled out to non-elderly people.
Fair, but that wasn't due to "lockdowns".

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
locked down from March 1 2020 to March 367th, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

Fair, but that wasn't due to "lockdowns".

Any kind of voluntary measures to prevent disease spread must be cast as a "lockdown" to make it unthinkable. Disease happens and there's no way to prevent it, go live your life (consume).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Humans have lived for millenia with single warrior combat, I explain as I hand my students katanas.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

These people would never have survived being raised by my parents.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Catching up on MAFS Australia, three cast members are sick now. Something must be going around!

Update: a 4th cast member started losing her voice and had to leave the show due to a blood clot

This always happened on reality tv

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7345596685508201770

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I take the point about nowhere having even remotely anything close to a MANDATE to not touch people.

Here in Melbourne Australia we had real proper lockdowns where you were only allowed to leave your house to exercise for 1hr a day (with exceptions for emergencies), you couldn't travel more than 5km from your home, weren't allowed to gather in public etc etc. and even then we had carveouts for visiting significant others and compassionate visits to family. No one outside of China was getting welded into their houses.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

look to be fair, Albuquerque has the hands down worst drivers in the united states. this is not hyperbole

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I got banned from the reddit coronavirus subreddit for posting a link to a scientific paper about viral infections impact on the heart and myocarditis.

When I asked why I was banned, I was told "fear mongering and misinformation" and muted. The discourse around public health is so loving stupid.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NPR has written an article about Paul Alexander's life and death, while completely omitting that COVID is what killed him. You'd think that would be a relevant detail in the article about the man who got disabled by a major disease that impacted this nation, but no.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/13/1238251518/iron-lung-polio-paul-alexander

It just pisses me off. The guy absolutely did not get COVID himself by going out and about. Someone infectious must have come into his space. Public health kept him alive until society gave up, and that killed him.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

U-DO Burger posted:

NPR has written an article about Paul Alexander's life and death, while completely omitting that COVID is what killed him. You'd think that would be a relevant detail in the article about the man who got disabled by a major disease that impacted this nation, but no.

It just pisses me off. The guy absolutely did not get COVID himself by going out and about. Someone infectious must have come into his space. Public health kept him alive until society gave up, and that killed him.

lmao national pentagon radio strikes again

their source is the notice posted at the funeral home rather than... oh I dunno anybody or anything else that notified the rest of us that covid fuckingh killed him!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

roffels posted:

I got banned from the reddit coronavirus subreddit for posting a link to a scientific paper about viral infections impact on the heart and myocarditis.

When I asked why I was banned, I was told "fear mongering and misinformation" and muted. The discourse around public health is so loving stupid.

you'll be happy to know that the mod who banned you got a phd for being the mod of that subreddit or some poo poo lol

Baddog
May 12, 2001

roffels posted:

Yah I got banned off of there as well. Although if I remember right it was because I used sarcasm, the minimizer reported me for "misinformation", and the mod banned me without actually bothering to look at any context.

Baddog has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Mar 13, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Liberals loooove using peer review as a way to shut down discussion but wow they hate it when you try to use it to boost the veracity of a study.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Liberals loooove using peer review as a way to shut down discussion but wow they hate it when you try to use it to boost the veracity of a study.

look, if that peer-reviewed study you're waving at me was worth paying attention to, then the government would have told us about it already

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

NeonPunk posted:

people can't remember what happened last week, i've had literally the same conversation trying to get something cleared up with my boss three times in the last month and on each repeat it's clear he doesn't remember the previous one

he's been sick multiple times in the less than a year since i changed jobs and during/after one of those times said it felt like his "head is in sand"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

U-DO Burger posted:

His caregivers had to live their lives. Did you think about their lived experiences and mental well being?