Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Chas McGill posted:

Playing with a colleague who is 6'7" tonight. The long ball might be a viable tactic. Hope he's on my side, though I've no idea if he's any good at football. He's a semi-pro cricketer.
I'm 6'6" and towards the ends of games I go up front for the long ball/flick down/get corner or kick in routine. I tend to wear my Crouch 9 England shirt for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
In some what inevitable fashion on my first game back after having my stitches removed I ended up having someone catch me right where the original gash was. It has healed fine though, I was wearing giant shin pads just in case and I had also wrapped it up to be extra safe. Ended up winning the least deserved game ever 4-3 after being 3-1 down, I'm also pretty sure our centre forward took a dive to win a penalty in the last few minutes. I scored it but didn't celebrate since if it was a dive I didn't want to be "that guy".

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Didn't get an opportunity to knock it up to him because although we were on the same time, he spent most of the game in defence.

It's always depressing to play 5s again after months of little-to-no activity and realise just how unfit I am. Felt sick and my lungs were burning after a few trademark runs. I rely far too much on my pace normally.

I played reasonably well though. We had a decent striker so I spent the game making space for him and playing him in, so we ended up winning 8-6 or something. The 6'7" played really well screening the wee goal.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Made the mistake of doing my Friday marathon-training run on Saturday before my game this week as we'd had a bowling day at work and I'd decided to get drunk instead of exercise. Running 7km and then playing a 90 minute match where you're expected to be left wing and sprinting up and back the entire game is not a wise choice, and afterwards felt like death warmed up. At least we won and I got a tap in, although I felt completely cheap as I'd been down with cramp when the ball bobbled over to me after a deflection and I just stood up and passed it into the net :getin:. They all count, though :D.

May have then compounded the stupidity by deciding when I got home to move the last 2 tonnes of gravel piled in our driveway to the garden bed I've been avoiding working on. Cue 3 hours of shovelling. Next day after my 14km run I almost couldn't walk :suicide:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I always scoff heartily at people who are more concerned with watching football than playing football but it'll be a nice break this monday to take in the Manchester Derby. Didn't play last Monday either since the g/f needed picked up from a staff meeting and sundays I'm no longer bothering to organise what with getting 10 folk going back to being a nuisance. Nice wee break.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
what do you think, guys? should i get these or those

http://www.worldsoccershop.com/25347.html

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-soccer-predator-absolado-trx-tf-shoes/DA036AA?cid=V23571&search=PREDATOR+Absolado+TRX+TF+Shoes

artshavin
Apr 11, 2012

toot
and
salute

:smug: edinbro rugby :smug:
The Predators, duh. They look sharper, and I've never had a bad experience with Adidas.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

CAMiasm posted:

what do you think, guys? should i get these or those

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/me...do+TRX+TF+Shoes

FWIW, I have these for turf and love them - firm fit, and the laces are off-center but not in a weird curvy way like the T90, just slightly angled to give you a little more space to strike. Toe box could use a little more room maybe, but I haven't properly worn them in yet since I've been on field lately.

e: woops, wrong link. Get the Predators.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Neither.
Nike Mercurial Victory III Astro Turf.

Approved by Hallowed Turban and myself. Amazing shoes, really.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Neither.

thanks for the recommendation, but i'm on a tight budget :( ~$50 max :( :(

i'm leaning towards the predators. my last 2 pair of cleats have been adidas, and they've both been wonderful.

but on the other hand, my indoor shoes are nike (see below). i've had 2+ great years with them, but now the bottoms are cracked.

http://www.soccerpro.com/Nike5-Zoom-T-5-FS-Orange-and-Blue-p9442/

i think ultimately i'll go to the local soccer shop and try on both pairs in question to see which one is the better fit, but any and all input prior to me doing that is greatly appreciated

CAMiasm fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 26, 2012

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Managed to scrape together eight willing lads for the six a side squad tonight, with some really good players looking forward to the new season. We turn up in the pissing rain and warm up, only to wait and wait. Our opposition didn't bother showing. I am absolutely fuming and terribly embarrassed having harrassed these seven people into turning up to East Manchester for no reason. Football Is Dead, and some shower of shits called 'The Mighty Ducks' killed it. On the plus side, 5-0 default win and we're top of the league.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Neither.

CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i went to two local soccer shops, and both stores didn't have my size (13.5-14 US) in either model. :suicide:

i did try an older size 14 tiempo (see below), and they were slightly too big. the clerk said those shoes ran true to size, but the new tiempos run a half size small. so... if he's right, a size 14 of the new tiempos should fit perfect. i think i'll be getting those.

i don't mean to dismiss your recommendation hallowed turban/adulterous hitler, but my situation is, sadly, such that $30 will break the bank. :(

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/us/p...gold-16461.aspx

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

I only wear US 12.5, and I've found in the past that I've had to go mail-order (back in the day)/internet to get the shoe I want in the size I want. Finding anyone carrying ANY soccer shoe at size 13.5 should be considered a minor miracle.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

CAMiasm posted:

so i went to two local soccer shops, and both stores didn't have my size (13.5-14 US) in either model. :suicide:
I've got a 14.5 EE wide foot, and its IMPOSSIBLE for me to find boots. They like just do not make them. Can't do it through miAdidas or whatever the Nike one is called. I gotta try on every large boot in the store, hoping they'll fit. I've been told the Copa Mundial's run wide, and they're one of the only shoes that are made in 14-15, I'm gonna try one of those. I've got some awful $30 umbro's that do the trick now, but there's gotta be beter.

Most store clerks laugh at me "guys your size aren't meant to play soccer".

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 27, 2012

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 129 days!
I signed up for a team on a small local league and they play on synthetic grass, what type of shoes should I get as i've been informed my regular cleats for natural grass will not be allowed on their synthetic field?

a real peso shit fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 27, 2012

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

You'll almost certainly not be allowed to wear SG boots (metal studs), but sometimes they allow FG boots (rubber studs), sometimes blades are still banned though. Astro soles with lots of very small rubber studs are what you normally see, but if they allow them it's handy to have a pair of FG boots in case it's wet.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I use these: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11932167

I play on both turf and grass with them, mainly turf though. They're very comfortable and don't cut into my ankle like the last boots I had (can't remember the name, but were Adidas). It was pouring down rain yesterday and the girlfriend I went out to practice shooting in a grass field and had no slippage problems.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 129 days!
Thanks for the input! I ended up buying these

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12289254&cp=4413887.4414021

we'll see how it goes next friday.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Brandy Alexander posted:

Thanks for the input! I ended up buying these

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12289254&cp=4413887.4414021

we'll see how it goes next friday.

Should have gone with Nike Mercurial Victory III boots.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Second game of the year down, 4-0'win. Only up one at the half but got two within the first 1'03" of the second. Played mid in the first well, had one disallowed for a (non)offside, and played left back in the second. Had some great crunching tackles, including one awesome cynical slam when a winger got around me, although he threw out an elbow as he went down and got me in the chest :(. Icing my chest, back and leg now but god it felt good being a complete oval office of a defender. Very satisfying to keep them from scoring :D

E: post game kebab is awesome

iajanus fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 28, 2012

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ugh, had an absolute stinker of a game as goalie today. e: Somehow managed to re-aggravate old injuries to my thumb and ring finger of my right hand - I'm reasonably sure they were both on shots that I got a large chunk of but couldn't stop.

In related news, the self-appointed 'coach' of the team (this is a social league team) is talking about putting me in the field next week and honestly I'd rather ref than play outfield. ugh. :(

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Should have gone with Nike Mercurial Victory III boots.

Can you tell me what's so rad about them and why I should replace my Tiempo IIIs with them, sir?

The Tiempo IIIs are great for close control but I find my shooting isn't as accurate as I'd hope and they aren't very supportive for running etc.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Does anyone get blisters on the ball of the foot I know I do

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 129 days!
Had a little practice match last night. I guess I really shouldn't try to tackle on Astro Turf as I woke up to this.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you don't own a pair of spats/rashguard for playing on turf you are dumb, you can buy them ludicrously cheap and they can do double duty keeping you comfortable on colder days

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 129 days!

Pinky Pit posted:

If you don't own a pair of spats/rashguard for playing on turf you are dumb, you can buy them ludicrously cheap and they can do double duty keeping you comfortable on colder days

Yeah that was kind of dumb. I had never played on turf and I figured it would be similar to real grass.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Brandy Alexander posted:

Yeah that was kind of dumb. I had never played on turf and I figured it would be similar to real grass.
Astroturf is the worst surface to play on when it comes to proper pitches (concrete doesn't really count since I don't think any leagues has one). The fake turf stuff isn't actually that bad, and if it's been watered you can throw in a slide tackle without leaving half your leg behind. Sure, those little rubber ball things get everywhere but that's better than getting sand everywhere as well as being scarred for life.

Obviously grass is the king of surfaces and if you disagree you are factually wrong. I even have a place in my heart for a bumpy, boggy pitch. It manages to add to the excitement.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Pinky Pit posted:

can you link to some good ones pls? tia :)

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

CAMiasm posted:

can you link to some good ones pls? tia :)

http://soccer.epicsports.com/prod/14629/fabnit-compression-pants-closeout.html

or

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ne...-processed=true

I guess I always called them Spats/Rashguards from wrestling and stuff, but yeah these things are amazing for playing on turf and even concrete. Just please wear them under shorts and not as your only bottoms like a dude who jogs in my neighborhood because everyone will see the outline of your penis.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Tights? Jesus wept.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Pinky Pit posted:

http://soccer.epicsports.com/prod/14629/fabnit-compression-pants-closeout.html

or

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ne...-processed=true

I guess I always called them Spats/Rashguards from wrestling and stuff, but yeah these things are amazing for playing on turf and even concrete. Just please wear them under shorts and not as your only bottoms like a dude who jogs in my neighborhood because everyone will see the outline of your penis.

don't you get... hella sweaty playing in those?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Just pull up your drat socks. I wear baselayers like that hiking/running in the winter, but when I'm playing and don't want to carve up my knees I'll just uh.. pull my socks over them.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Can you tell me what's so rad about them and why I should replace my Tiempo IIIs with them, sir?

The Tiempo IIIs are great for close control but I find my shooting isn't as accurate as I'd hope and they aren't very supportive for running etc.

I, like Adulterous Hitler, fully endorse the Mercurial Victory astroturf boots. I made the switch from Adidas Predators a while back and find they offer better grip and agility because there is a smaller footprint but excellent grip in the areas where you need it most, i.e. the ball of your foot and the front. They're also quite flexible so I find they're better for sprinting and making quick turns etc. This is compared to my Predators which I've been using regularly for about 4 years vs. my new Victorys which I've had for about 8 months (still going strong too!).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I guess you can also distract opposition players with the range of garish colours those boots come in. Holy toledo! I've never worn anything but plain black boots. If I get bright orange boots, will they make me more flamboyant as a player and as a...man?

Maybe I'll go try them next time I'm in town. I loving hate going into Sports Direct though.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God, Sports Direct is about the only shop I can find solace in when the wife insists on having one of her shopping days.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I've got a love/hate relationship with Sports Direct, it's always very emotionally unsettling shopping there.

But yeah, I have the orange ones and honestly, who cares if they're brightly-coloured? I was wary of wearing them at first as well but don't really care anymore.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They'll end up looking horrible within 5 seconds of meeting what passes for surface at Goals, anyway.

As an aside - one of the guys I played against the other week arrived wearing normal astro boots, but put these things on before we started (or something like them): http://www.amazon.co.uk/K-Swiss-Silver-Orange-Trainer-02316-055-M/dp/B003GD21Y6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1335711780&sr=8-11

He absolutely smoked us as well. It was raining and he didn't slip or anything. I've always wondered whether it'd be worth wearing normal trainers/running trainers for 5-a-side. Not sure it'd be allowed in a proper league, though.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
In my experience, playing in running shoes is hard with a properly inflated ball, might be good for futsal or something else tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Really? I just slide all over the place when I play in anything other than footy boots. Hmmmm.