Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Rannison posted:

Apparently my friend "borrowed" my blademaster's Astral Mephit Fangs.

And then let his account go inactive.

Bastards.

I'm pretty sure pictish weapons are the new hotness, anyways. Last time I played ML10 weapon prices had tanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

CL15 weapons now, actually.

They've added 5 more champion levels and added quests to DF that give a new kind of seal that's untradeable that you can use to buy CL15 weapons.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

CL15 weapons now, actually.

They've added 5 more champion levels and added quests to DF that give a new kind of seal that's untradeable that you can use to buy CL15 weapons.

Ohhh yeah. I forgot about that update. Has Broadsword done anything else? Wasn't there supposed to be a working LFG tool, too?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I haven't been back for very long and I'm not even cl15 on a character yet, so I don't know.

I've seen that there's a casual lfg tool but I've never used it.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

I'm pretty sure pictish weapons are the new hotness, anyways. Last time I played ML10 weapon prices had tanked.

I've got Pictslayers on my champion but the Mephit Fang owned pretty hard as it has a disease proc that procs a looot

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Kazvall posted:

Ah does the extra empathy not help healing that much? More like, power pool?

I believe it just increases your mana pool. Regrowth spec is what decreases variance.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I rolled an animist, hello 10 spells at level 1.

Is arb the pve spec?

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

madpanda posted:

I rolled an animist, hello 10 spells at level 1.

Is arb the pve spec?

Depends on how you intend on leveling, to be honest. Arb is the bomber spec so it's insanely high single target damage but if you're leveling with a buffbot who can heal your controlled mushroom then you may want to consider Verdant with a Creeping subspec. I did my elf animist [sylvan animist is main] through the battlegrounds til... 46 [Cathal Valley] as verdant then respecced to arb

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
Just a heads up on a private server thats coming out today:

http://lethantis.net/

Take a look if you want.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Woodhouse posted:

Just a heads up on a private server thats coming out today:

http://lethantis.net/

Take a look if you want.

I'll probably hop on and gently caress around at some point. But, I'm sure it will go nowhere, like every other daoc server that pops up then disappears like a fart in the wind.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?

PriNGLeS posted:

I'll probably hop on and gently caress around at some point. But, I'm sure it will go nowhere, like every other daoc server that pops up then disappears like a fart in the wind.

Yeah, but like addicts we always go back and chase that thrill.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Are there any big technical hurdles to running a private server? Setting up DOL using a wamp setup years ago didn't seem to hard, i even added spells etc. I remember some of the first servers having to work on getting AI pathing to work because that was handled server side for live.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

madpanda posted:

Are there any big technical hurdles to running a private server? Setting up DOL using a wamp setup years ago didn't seem to hard, i even added spells etc. I remember some of the first servers having to work on getting AI pathing to work because that was handled server side for live.

I think it's mostly just the backtracking of numbers and npc locations, drops, etc to the older era/versions of the game that people want to emulate. And probably pathing. All private servers have some wonk rear end pathing. Including other games.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
When I messed with DoL about 3 years ago, I was able to set up the server, allow account creations, and have people log in with new characters and that was it. The world was completely barren of NPCs. The only thing that was there were static objects and zone walls. As soon as I realized how much effort was needed to get beyond that, I just resubbed to Live and moved on with life.

I know that now there are custom mob packs that will populate the world, and there are even some nice server admins that release quest scripting packs.

edit: And I'll be on Letanthis tonight on whatever realm has nobody playing, which looks like Hib Alb according to the login screen. I'm downloading their custom client which is only 3.7Gb.

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 18, 2015

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I'd say this is more of an alpha than anything. New archery is still in.

Edit: Read their road map. That's intended. Okay, not bad, then.

PriNGLeS fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 18, 2015

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Lethantis is definitely an "alpha". In chat today, they said there would probably be a wipe in a few weeks. The xp rate is alright; you can easily kill reds from 1-10. They start you out with 100g so you can just go buy a bunch of level 10 vender gear. I don't think I'm going to invest any time in it as it stands. I hate grinding in any mmo just to get wiped and have to start over.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, I'd rather pay for live than test someone's alpha. Too jaded from too many failed servers.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
This one is definitely not going anywhere. "Patching" a working directory ends up in a non-working game. Forcing people to download some custom client. It's a long long way off. And really not worth the effort or time.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I do hope a bunch of you guys decide to come back and play on live (Waffles, Kaz, Pringles, Serpus, etc) but I have to warn you US prime time hib is still absolutely a ghost town. I'm temping out a Molvik character for the hell of it because I haven't gotten a single group at 50.

With the alb zerg (still 100+) and mid zerg (typically 50+) out there's always certainly something to do and fights to be had, just saying.

Combo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 19, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If/when I come back to live I'll probably be playing Albion. Mostly because I miss my rr8 minstrel and his toys. I do have guys on all realms, I believe, though.

Roll call time. Post what server/realm you played on back in the day!

Albion/Guinevere. Zhalfer/Zhyres/Kazvall.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mid/Lancelot

Too many characters to mention across several accounts over the years.

edit: and I'd almost be up for playing alb except I don't think there's a single class I really want to play over there...maybe a merc or wizard or something. I do have a bot at 50 on another account for alb.

Combo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 19, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

drat I started on mid lance. Did you run with lagged again or my rl buddy shynrix? I played as thunderstrife hahah.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Nah I wasn't cool enough to be in Lagged Again.

I was in Kindred and a few other guilds. Lost Vikings for a little bit, TSK, Fenris (which are still around). Mostly Kindred though.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wasn't the first person to rr10 on lance? Mistwraith, right? Or at least first to rr10 on lance.

e: Before they made it impossible to cross the gate at Sauvage(Heh, Castle Sausage), some hibs had staged a raid to try and get through without dying to guards or the wizards. IIRC there was a hib ranger that made it through, named Willow. Well she literally terrorized the country side and on two occasions before being caught/killed, she killed me while I was leveling in Salisbury. I remember being absolutely dumbfounded at the time. She would log in, kill a few people, and log out before anyone was wise. I always regret never being able to even try to cross the realm gate at the home castle of another realm. They made it so you got teleported back as soon as you hit the first gate, pretty soon after. Closest I came was during SI when almost the entire Avalon City zone was transported to midgard by some freak accident.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 19, 2015

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Kazvall posted:

Wasn't the first person to rr10 on lance? Mistwraith, right? Or at least first to rr10 on lance.

Yep, first rr10 period. She got a lot of hate. The first 50 was a spiritmaster from Lance too but I can't remember his name

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Am I correct in thinking that the longer you were exposed to the "language" of another realm, occasionally you would have a real english word in the gibberish?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Percival Alb.

I've played every realm, so if/when I come back to live, it doesn't matter where I settle down.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I was a Mid Guin for a while, in the Kobold Insurrection guild.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SERPUS posted:

I was a Mid Guin for a while, in the Kobold Insurrection guild.

There are many great stories involving the Kobold Insurrection and the Lurikeen Uprising.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The kobold cyber got REALLY weird sometimes.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Hib/Nimue, Mid/Guin, Alb/Perc. Never went anywhere on mid/alb, rr7 hero on hib.

I don't really care where we play on Live, as long as there's something to do. I'd even be down to do Molvik/CV guys.

PriNGLeS fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 20, 2015

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I have a thane and skald in molvik on mid and will have an eld on hib very soon, just need some sc done. Also have a warrior in CV that I don't play much.

I would assume most everyone is going to want to be hib on live. The Waffles are already set up there, we have a guild already, etc.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Anyone know how often you get the free 7 days?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

SERPUS posted:

Anyone know how often you get the free 7 days?

No idea, but my account last active in like December-January ish area and I'm eligible.

Combo posted:

I have a thane and skald in molvik on mid and will have an eld on hib very soon, just need some sc done. Also have a warrior in CV that I don't play much.

I would assume most everyone is going to want to be hib on live. The Waffles are already set up there, we have a guild already, etc.

I have a Skald in CV

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hib/Galahad Ahkemsira (Viaticus)

Morderd - Ahkemsera (Sin Vida) / Curry (Validus)

ps jumping on to play now hibside. tbh i wouldn't mind doing alb/mid if enough people wanted to, but last time i suggested that people got mad like it was 2001

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Alb/Bedevere from launch until ToA when my 8-man moved to Mid/Lance. Bunch of other stuff on various servers after NF came out but does anything after NF really count?

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

My original account was stolen ages ago buuuut I played Hib/Gawaine [r7 bm/bainshee/animist/chanter/bard], Mid/MLF [r6 savage, r5 bd]

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Combo posted:

I do hope a bunch of you guys decide to come back and play on live (Waffles, Kaz, Pringles, Serpus, etc) but I have to warn you US prime time hib is still absolutely a ghost town. I'm temping out a Molvik character for the hell of it because I haven't gotten a single group at 50.

With the alb zerg (still 100+) and mid zerg (typically 50+) out there's always certainly something to do and fights to be had, just saying.

That's okay, we can play Molvik or figure out some 50 RvR that isn't terrible. :) I have a Molvik ranger and it's a ton of fun to play, so I'd recommend having a temped Molvik character anyway.

Kazvall posted:

If/when I come back to live I'll probably be playing Albion. Mostly because I miss my rr8 minstrel and his toys. I do have guys on all realms, I believe, though.

Nooooo play Hib.

Kazvall posted:

Roll call time. Post what server/realm you played on back in the day!

Hib/Bors for me. I had a couple of lowbie toons in Alb and Mid on various servers to try them out, but I've always preferred Hib.

edit:

Kazvall posted:

Before they made it impossible to cross the gate at Sauvage(Heh, Castle Sausage), some hibs had staged a raid to try and get through without dying to guards or the wizards. IIRC there was a hib ranger that made it through, named Willow. Well she literally terrorized the country side and on two occasions before being caught/killed, she killed me while I was leveling in Salisbury. I remember being absolutely dumbfounded at the time. She would log in, kill a few people, and log out before anyone was wise. I always regret never being able to even try to cross the realm gate at the home castle of another realm. They made it so you got teleported back as soon as you hit the first gate, pretty soon after. Closest I came was during SI when almost the entire Avalon City zone was transported to midgard by some freak accident.

On Bors, some Albs and a Mid clipped through the Druim Ligen terrain to get in. I remember zoning out of the Spraggon Den to see three odd-looking characters with red text above their heads. I zoned back in so fast. After that, our alliance started a massive search to try to find that group but came up empty-handed.

ButtaKnife fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 20, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Seriously how is this game still alive, especially considering its still has a monthly sub? It will still be the game I compare every MMO to though just because of how fun and awesome it was (until ToA).

I played Mid/MLF (RM/Skald) and had a Friar on Merlin I used to gently caress around on when the Hib zerg got to be too much on MLF. God I loved Friar back then. With a hooded cloak and a crooked staff you could disguise as a caster so drat well, then be the living bane of every stealther on the server when they tried to kill you solo. Good times, good memories. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Buttaknife add me on steam.

• Locked thread