Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Yep I liked Mathews, it's shame his final seasons were blighted by injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

El Patron posted:

Yep I liked Mathews, it's shame his final seasons were blighted by injury.

p much every season of his was blighted by injury. he couldn't stay healthy in SD either

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

TheChirurgeon posted:

p much every season of his was blighted by injury. he couldn't stay healthy in SD either

Looking at his career he only had 1 season (2013) where he played every game.

Watched a draft video of his and it seems that was one of the cons he came out of college with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VK9xPmbmvE

El Patron fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 8, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Eagles to target Pierre Garcon in free agency.

Watch Eagles sign both Garcon and DeSean and Kirk Cousins leaves for SF or something dumb. Lol Redskins.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

89 posted:

Eagles to target Pierre Garcon in free agency.

Watch Eagles sign both Garcon and DeSean and Kirk Cousins leaves for SF or something dumb. Lol Redskins.

Garcon to the Niners seems more likely. He has familiarity with Kyle's system, so I think they will make a push for him.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Peters said no to a pay cut and the Eagles said ok then.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20170224_Report__Peters_will_remain_with_Eagles.html

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I hope we don't pay silly money for Stills, only guy I'd pay for is Alshon.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

What happened to our plan to cut $$ this offseason? If Peters won't take a paycut I'm not sure where the cap savings are coming from.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Not too surprising; the Eagles basically had no leverage in that situation. I figured an extension with restructuring was more likely than a pay cut.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

El Patron posted:

I hope we don't pay silly money for Stills, only guy I'd pay for is Alshon.

Local radio dipshits were saying how sad it was that Alshon was going to get a big contract, because his production isn't on par with Julio Jones.

Fuckin' people are spoiled rotten in Atlanta, man.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So who are we likely to cut? Or is our plan to avoid FA and just hope to do really well in the draft?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

So who are we likely to cut? Or is our plan to avoid FA and just hope to do really well in the draft?

That is the goal of every franchise in sports.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

That is the goal of every franchise in sports.

Judging by our past drafting i cant say im convinced tbh....

Besides Wentz

Also we are paying Chase Daniel ALOT of money, holy balls we really did not have any faith in Bradford

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 28, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

Judging by our past drafting i cant say im convinced tbh....

Besides Wentz

Also we are paying Chase Daniel ALOT of money, holy balls we really did not have any faith in Bradford

They're operating on a whole 'nother level of incompetence.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Can someone briefly explain how dead cap works

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

Can someone briefly explain how dead cap works

Sure.

Basically, when you pay a guy, that money counts against your salary cap, though it may not all count against the cap in the same year. Once you've paid someone, that money has to come out of your cap no matter what, so even if they get cut or traded, the amount you paid them still counts against your cap, and is what we call DEAD MONEY. There are two ways this commonly happens:

1. Guaranteed bonuses/money. If you guaranteed someone money through a roster bonus or work-out bonus, and then they were on the roster or worked out and received that bonus, that money counts against your cap even if they get released, becoming DEAD MONEY.

2. Signing bonuses. The most common form of DEAD MONEY. When a player receives a signing bonus, they're paid immediately, but the cap hit of that money is spread evenly over the first 5 years of the contract (or however many years, if fewer than 5). So if you sign a $20M deal with a $2M salary over 5 years and a $10M signing bonus, you'd get $2M in base salary each year, but your cap number would be $4M each year, or $2M in base salary + $2M in prorated cap hit. If the team cut or traded you before the end of the contract, say after year 2, the remaining prorated signing bonus ($6M) would accelerate, becoming DEAD MONEY that counts against your cap that year. There are some exceptions here, and the timing on the cut matters--after June 1st, you only take the hit for this year, and the remaining prorated money accelerates to next year's cap, which is why dudes are sometimes designated as "June 1 cuts."

DEAD MONEY counts against your salary cap, and essentially blocks you from using the full cap to pay dudes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure.

Basically, when you pay a guy, that money counts against your salary cap, though it may not all count against the cap in the same year. Once you've paid someone, that money has to come out of your cap no matter what, so even if they get cut or traded, the amount you paid them still counts against your cap, and is what we call DEAD MONEY. There are two ways this commonly happens:

1. Guaranteed bonuses/money. If you guaranteed someone money through a roster bonus or work-out bonus, and then they were on the roster or worked out and received that bonus, that money counts against your cap even if they get released, becoming DEAD MONEY.

2. Signing bonuses. The most common form of DEAD MONEY. When a player receives a signing bonus, they're paid immediately, but the cap hit of that money is spread evenly over the first 5 years of the contract (or however many years, if fewer than 5). So if you sign a $20M deal with a $2M salary over 5 years and a $10M signing bonus, you'd get $2M in base salary each year, but your cap number would be $4M each year, or $2M in base salary + $2M in prorated cap hit. If the team cut or traded you before the end of the contract, say after year 2, the remaining prorated signing bonus ($6M) would accelerate, becoming DEAD MONEY that counts against your cap that year. There are some exceptions here, and the timing on the cut matters--after June 1st, you only take the hit for this year, and the remaining prorated money accelerates to next year's cap, which is why dudes are sometimes designated as "June 1 cuts."

DEAD MONEY counts against your salary cap, and essentially blocks you from using the full cap to pay dudes.

Ah right cheers,

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/26/does-lesean-mccoys-message-on-twitter-mean-bills-days-are-done/

Cut everyone...bring Shady and DeSean back

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Also trade for Maclin.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sure.

If the player signs/traded with another team, then their guarenteed money from roster/baser/work-out bonuses isn't dead money, it's absorbed by the new team (depending on timing, offset, etc. if you want to go into details).

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

MrLogan posted:

If the player signs/traded with another team, then their guarenteed money from roster/baser/work-out bonuses isn't dead money, it's absorbed by the new team (depending on timing, offset, etc. if you want to go into details).

So how do the Eagles have $5m in dead money this year from Bradford?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MrLogan posted:

Their guaranteed salary goes to the new team. Bonuses already paid to that player for the season become dead money. Once you've paid a guy, that's on your cap. Most roster bonuses take effect at the start of the league year. If you trade him before work-outs or the bonus is due, then yeah, the new team gets that. And yeah, only the bonuses you've paid him count for this year's cap--you aren't on the hook for his 2018 roster bonus once he's traded/cut.

CyberPingu posted:

So how do the Eagles have $5m in dead money this year from Bradford?

That's from prorated signing bonus. He had $11M accelerated onto his contract last year. $5.5M of that went onto 2016, and 5.5 went onto 2017 since it happened after June 1.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Your 2017 Philadelphia Eagles: No seriously guys it's still 2010 we swear.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

axeil posted:

Id happily trade you 2017 for a 2010

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

What happened to our plan to cut $$ this offseason? If Peters won't take a paycut I'm not sure where the cap savings are coming from.

There are cap savings to be had all over the Eagles roster: http://www.phillyvoice.com/source-eagles-expected-free-significant-cap-space/

axeil posted:

hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k74scwK14JA

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Id rather we didnt cut any OLinemen just because Wentz needs stability right now (Lane, STOP DOING ROIDS).

Matthews can go...which is sad, i really like him tbh

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

Id rather we didnt cut any OLinemen just because Wentz needs stability right now (Lane, STOP DOING ROIDS).

LT, RG and RB are set. They didn't draft Seumalo in the 3rd round to sit him on the bench, so he's going to be in at C or LG, and neither Barbre nor Kelce is worth the money they are making as reserves. So you have:

Peters, Barbre, Seaumalo, Brooks, Johnson

or

Peters, Seaumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson.

And you can cut one of Kelce or Barbre. Personally, I'd prefer to cut both and go with:

Peters, ????, Seaumalo, Brooks, Johnson

or maybe keep Barbre , but I'd be trying to replace him.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eliot Shorr-Parks is an idiot

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Eagles line tends to have a rough start but always finishes as one of the top lines at the end of the year.

But I think I'd be cool with getting rid of Kelce since our WR needs are so bad.

Ps, how bout that Jamaal Charles?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

shyduck posted:

Eliot Shorr-Parks is an idiot

I also am not a fan of Eliot Shorr-Parks.

If I had to choose between reading only Jimmy Kempski or all other Eagles writers combined, I would choose Kempsky in a heartbeat. He is just that much better than every other Eagles writer in form and content. (by form I mean he's often humorous, not that he's a superior writer)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Dolfan mentioned in the FA thread that the Eagles are persuing a 12m 4 year deal for Stills...any word on this?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

CyberPingu posted:

Dolfan mentioned in the FA thread that the Eagles are persuing a 12m 4 year deal for Stills...any word on this?

Zero. It's just common word that Stills's market is at 12m.

If the Eagles grab Stills, this free agency will be a failure. I'm either all in on Alshon or a cheaper old vet.

Brandon Cooks's name is thrown around as a trade target. The Eagles are apparently looking for speed big time in their FA and draft needs (Hello, John Ross)

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

I'm sure the Eagles have interest in Stills, but I think that current speculation is just reporting on reporting on reporting on a "the Eagles might have interest in Stills, He could make up to 12m a year" speculative report.

I seriously doubt the Eagles are going to offer Stills 12m a year, but who knows? Could be a 4 year, 48m deal that really isn't that much.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

Brandon Cooks's name is thrown around as a trade target. The Eagles are apparently looking for speed big time in their FA and draft needs (Hello, John Ross)

This one is mystifying to me. I think this one might have come solely from fan speculation. Why would the Saints want to trade Cooks?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

NotWearingPants posted:

This one is mystifying to me. I think this one might have come solely from fan speculation. Why would the Saints want to trade Cooks?

I think a lot of it came from Cooks being a baby about not being thrown to last season

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Wentz making Eagles attractive WR free agent destination

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/231773/carson-wentz-making-eagles-attractive-destination-for-free-agent-receivers

quote:

Money is king, obviously. You won't find many players who will leave the best offer on the table if it is significantly sweeter than the rest. But if it's close, other priorities come into play, and quality of quarterback is typically number two on a receiver's list. The reason is obvious enough: the wide receiver position is heavily dependent on the quarterback. The better the QB, the better chance the receiver has of meeting his potential, which in turn increases his value and odds of success.

That's basic logic. What's of note here is that Wentz is considered, at least in some circles, as one of those performance-enhancing signal-callers.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

89 posted:

If the Eagles grab Stills, this free agency will be a failure. I'm either all in on Alshon or a cheaper old vet.

I like Stills a little bit.

I'm not in on Alshon at all. I want to get the dude from Baltimore or hail mary for Pryor

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nelson Agholor had a career year.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

NotWearingPants posted:

Nelson Agholor had a career year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEySY4hY6oM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
If it was only one receiver, or just several receivers, it would be one thing. But when it's every WR, TE, and RB one has to wonder why Wentz throws such a difficult-to-catch ball.

• Locked thread