Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

you'd think an occupation pr dude would have been prepared not to step into the obvious trap he fell into there about who has a right to land but i suppose hes far gone enough to be that blind

a lot of these PR types are actually really bad at it because they're not used to facing pushback in interviews. they expect the interviewer to smile and nod, throw softballs and then agree with whatever the answer is

it's clear that the guy wasn't even thinking of how he'd handle the interviewer. he was busy trying to craft a message that was all things to everyone, in order to win over the most American Jews possible by simultaneously defending Bibi's far-right policies as an unpleasant necessity and praising them as a great idea he totally supports. the second the reporter notices that and starts trying to pin him down to a single position, rather than letting him go back and forth from one to the other whenever he pleases, it was over for him

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

maintaining the territorial integrity of the Jewish homeland and the security of the people of Israel

it's 16 words, totally different

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Exciting is the wrong word, but I'm definitely curious about how the American media, American politicians, and the Jewish diaspora is going to react when they finally take the mask off.

Obviously liberal publications like The New Yorker are generally "critical" of the occupation to varying degrees. Generally, there's a lot of equivocation, "Israel does have legitimate security concerns", etc.

But when Bibi finally announces, "hey there's no two-state anything, we're taking all of it, and Arabs are now disenfranchised" I wonder what the reaction will be. Obviously Trump, every Republican, and most Dem leadership will be cool with it. But I wonder about the rest of the country and the Democratic base.

they'll do what they're doing now
israel just declared that the capital of palestine is actually their capital lol

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/adriennepine/status/1125472013915709440

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/HamasInfoEn/status/1129086438123933698

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"The morality is maintaining the territorial integrity of the Jewish homeland and the security of the people of Israel."

the elusive 19 word 14 words

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lets talk Eurovision
https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/1130168169405014019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

context needed for my american brain

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

context needed for my american brain

There's an American Idol style show called Eurovision in which all the Euro countries send competitors to see who the final victor is. They're having it in Israel this year. I'm assuming Hatari is one of the performers and probably pulled out one of those Palestinian keffiyehs or something to show solidarity with Palestine. The one tweet is saying 'that's some bs they should have just boycotted the whole event' and the other says 'well, at least this way it is a news item.'

E: looks like they pulled out a scarf thing that looks like Palestine's flag and says Palestine on it

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:28 on May 19, 2019

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Why should anyone complain about what Hatari did when no one else, beside Madonna apparently, did anything? (As far as this American knows, anyway.)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AJENews/status/1130058046116388865

this was actually kushner's deal of the century

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

madonna portrays the status quo of large israel holding small palestines hands captive behind its back

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lots of artists boycotted the whole affair and it got far less cumulative coverage than this rando icelandic gimp group so i don't buy that argument tbh

they could have pulled out after winning the icelandic contest, but honestly refusing to go the the competition that you won another competition to join on grounds previously established might just have opened them to charges of hypocrisy

also lol that madonna's incredibly milquetoast statement attracts so much ire

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't play Sun City

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the Trump administration released step 1 of Kushner's grand Mideast peace plan last weekend

if you haven't heard of it, it's because it was so pathetic that it didn't even inspire the usual wave of "maybe peace will happen this time???" articles

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1130177528117768193
https://mobile.twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1130179664717205508

it's basically just dangling the lure of Western investment as a carrot, in hopes that maybe the Palestinians will be more willing to make political concessions if Kushner dangles a substantial bribe (in the form of low-interest loans and foreign factories, of course) first

https://mobile.twitter.com/WesternPub/status/1131209927295422466
https://mobile.twitter.com/RubensteinAdam/status/1130191397091516416

it's not going over well. even US mainstream media, which is usually happy to puff up lovely one-sided American "peace plans", is openly panning it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I find it extremely entertaining that Jared Kushner, with no qualifications other than is married to POTUS' daughter and has tons of business deals happening in Saudi Arabia, is in charge of brokering peace between Israel and Palestine.

Like that's how little they give a gently caress actually despite the trumpets back home.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
sure make some new factories in palestine, right before israel bombs them

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Haaretz posted:

Israeli Army Blamed Palestinians for Arson by Settlers. Then a Video Emerged

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...-XqLgVvwf9Gc_HA

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
TIL: Israel trains the St. Paul, MN police department. :catstare:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i worked at camp mabry in austin in 2010 and we had a bunch of egyptian generals and colonels training there for a good couple weeks

they probably never used whatever training they got. it's been quiet there in the last decade

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Israel trains a lot of police forces (that American citizens are no different than Palestinians). Big reason why BLM and Palestinian groups joined up in STL after Ferguson.

e: oh the best story was ADL and another STL Jewish org forcing the state history museum to cancel a solidarity panel and telling the museum to call the cops on the protest that followed.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2015/03/27/mo-history-museum-contacted-jewish-group-before-nixing-ferguson-palestine-event
https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/rania-khalek/israel-advocacy-group-pressured-missouri-museum-cancel-ferguson-palestine-event

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 06:01 on May 24, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A 'friend' of mine shared this article today:

The Truth About Serving In Gaza From An Israeli Soldier

What are your thoughts on this? It seems like more of the same; a laughably flimsy exercise in apologetics with some shots at Breaking the Silence and other progressive organizations. But I do wonder how to approach its framing of the combat engineers' actions clearing Gazan civilians from buildings, "almost all" of which "had mortars or other weapons inside." This is another talking point you hear a lot from people who try to justify bombing civilians; from my seat of the pants understanding it seems to make sense that with massive population density and limited military infrastructure you're going to see a few mortars and other hardware sitting around in civilian buildings... but that's not really much of a rebuttal.

Not like this tripe warrants more than a laugh react, anyway - I've got half a mind to post that Angry Flower comic and move on. The 'friend' who posted this joined the IDF voluntarily, participated in OP: Cast Lead, then moved on to become 'head of security' at a diamond mine in Vietnam. I'm pretty sure he's a sociopath.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
it's complete bullshit

like, it's an incredibly obviously fake story

by the time I reached the part where half his squad is killed trying to heroically stop the masked Hamas fighters from invading an Israeli kindergarten via the basement of a mosque, I was half expecting the story to somehow end with "and then everyone stood up and clapped"

there's no framing to reject there. it's just racist propaganda, 100% pure fiction

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

thankfully their expertly trained mossad agents were able to activate bullet time and dodge all of the enemy fire to rescue the children before the bomb (a big bundle of dynamite with an alarm clock strapped to it) detonated

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

2014 huh

https://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/testimonies/database

quote:

catalog number: 867854
Unit: Engineering Corps
Area: Northern Gaza strip
period: 2014

A typical officer’s response was, “It’s a complicated situation, I realize a situation might arise in which innocent people get killed, but you cannot take that risk or put your comrades at risk, you must shoot without hesitation.” The instructions are to shoot right away. Whoever you spot – be they armed or unarmed, no matter what. The instructions are very clear. Any person you run into, that you see with your eyes – shoot to kill. It’s an explicit instruction.

quote:

catalog number: 783044
Unit: Armored Corps
Area: Deir al-Balah area

And [the commander] gives an order: “Guys, all the tanks in a row, firing positions, all together facing the neighborhood of al-Bureij, we’re commencing engagement.” ‘Engagement’ means everyone firing at once, a countdown, “3, 2, 1, fire.” I remember it, all the tanks were standing in a row, and I personally asked my commander: “Where are we firing at?” He told me: “Pick wherever you feel like it.” And later, during talks with the other guys – each one basically chose his own target, and the commander called it on the two-way radio, ‘Good morning al-Bureij.’ “We are carrying out, a ‘Good morning al-Bureij,’ guys” that was the quote. Basically to wake up the neighborhood, to show those guys that ‘the IDF is here,’ and to carry out deterrence. I remember that all the tanks were standing in a row, and we were too, I was the gunner, and I looked at some building, which was very tall, at the center of that neighborhood, and I asked my commander, “OK, where do I hit that building?” And we decided between us – “OK, if you feel like aiming a bit to the right, a bit to the left, a bit toward that window, a bit toward the floor, let’s do that.” And then the commander says on the radio: “3, 2, 1, fire.” And everyone fired shells wherever they wanted to, obviously. Nobody had opened fire at us – not before, not after, not during.

quote:

catalog number: 864024
Unit: Engineering Corps

I got the impression that every house we passed on our way got hit by a shell – and houses farther away too. It was methodical. There was no threat. It’s possible we were being shot at, but I truly wouldn’t have heard it if we were because that whole time the tanks’ Raphael OWS (machine guns operated from within the tanks) were being fired constantly. They were spraying every house with machine gun fire the whole time. And once in a while blasting a shell into each house. There isn’t a single moment that you don’t hear the rumble of the tank next to you, or the next one up.

quote:

catalog number: 663065
Unit: Infantry

According to intelligence reports and military communications, you’re talking about a situation in which all the houses are classified as some type of hostile location. Are all the houses really hostile locations? I don’t know. Is it really possible to isolate one house inside a neighborhood that’s just blocks upon blocks? I don’t know. I do know that the practical result was flattened areas where houses had once stood.

Did you see any ‘before and after’ aerial photos?

Sure. Neighborhoods erased. You know what joke was being told in the army at the time? The joke says that Palestinians only sing the chorus because they have no verses [houses] left [in Hebrew, the word for verse is the same as the word for house.]

quote:

catalog number: 659914
Area: Gaza strip

There was an incident in which a soldier manning a post with binoculars spotted a person moving inside a house that was far away – beyond the perimeter of the battalion’s zone. The location meant he was definitely not one of our forces, [it was in the zone where] a company from a neighboring force was deployed. We knew it wasn’t them, so we opened fire. Our sharpshooters fired, and two minutes later we directed the battalion commander in the tank. They missed with the first shell. I don’t know where it hit, it went over the house. They hit with the second and third shells.

Was this during the day or night?

Day. [We] weren’t being fired at.

Why was the fire authorized?

Within the context of the unclear, undefined instructions, it was obvious that if it wasn’t our forces there, we needed to shoot. Two minutes later we moved on to the next house and forgot all about it.

quote:

catalog number: 250512
Unit: Navy
Area: Gaza strip
period: 2005 - 2007

I remember that near Area K, between Israel and Gaza, there were kids who would get up early in the morning, kids as young as four or six. Seventy percent of the population in Gaza lives on fishing. It’s their bread and water and everything. If there’s no fish, there’s no food. They’d go to the off-limits areas early in the morning, around four or five every morning. They’d go there because the other area is crowded with fishermen. It’s a small area, and the fish swim up there because there are no fishermen. The kids always tried to scout it out and cross over, and every morning we’d shoot in their direction to scare them off, it got to the point of shooting at the kids’ feet where they’d stand on the beach, or at those heading in that direction on a surfboard. We had Druze police officers on board who’d scream at them in Arabic and curse them. Afterward, you could look at the cameras and see the kids crying, poor kids.

There were other things that bothered me, there’s this thing with Palestinian fishing nets. Their nets cost around four thousand shekels, which is like a million dollars for us. When they disobeyed us a lot, we’d sink their nets. They leave their nets in the water, the nets stay in the water for something like six hours. The Dabur (a navy patrol boat) comes along and cuts their nets.

Why?

As a punishment.

Is the off-limits area the one that’s close to Israel?

There’s the area that’s close to Israel, and the area along the Israeli-Egyptian border. The sea border is three miles out, something like twenty miles wide, about thirty kilometers.

This is when you take into account the twenty miles between Gaza and Egypt and between Israel and Gaza?

Yes.

These twenty miles, are they taken from Israel’s area or from Gaza’s?

What do you think? Of course Gaza’s. Not only that, Israel’s sea border is twelve miles out, and Gaza’s is only three. They’ve got just those three miles, which lie in the direction of the Mediterranean, because of one reason, because Israel wants its gas, and there’s an offshore drilling rig something like three and a half miles facing the Gaza Strip, which should be Palestinian, except that it’s ours. They work there like crazy, and Shayetet 13, the Navy Special Forces unit, provides security. A bird comes near the area, they shoot it. There is an insane amount of security for that thing. One time there were Egyptian fishing nets that crossed the three miles, and we dealt with them, it was a total disaster.

Meaning?

They were in international waters, and we don’t have jurisdiction there, but we’d go out and shoot at them.

At Egyptian fishing nets?

Yes. And we’re at peace with Egypt.

quote:

catalog number: 470948
Unit: Armored Corps
Area: Deir al-Balah area

There were times we were told, “You see that building? That’s a school, don’t shoot there. And that over there is the Gaza amusement park – one can see the Ferris wheel from a distance – we don’t shoot at it.” But everything else that they didn’t specifically instruct us to avoid shooting at – and except for a few other places, where nearby [IDF] forces were located to avoid friendly fire – you could shoot anywhere, nearly freely. There are also times when we said, “Let’s fire over there, worst case they’ll ask what we shot at, we’ll say it was a ‘suspicious spot,’ that it looked threatening.” That happened a few times.

What rules of engagement were you provided with before you entered [the Gaza Strip]?

I don’t really remember what was discussed in terms of formal instructions before we entered, and after we entered nobody really cared about the formal instructions anyway. That’s what we knew. Every tank commander knew, and even the simple soldiers knew, that if something turns out to be not OK, they can say they saw something suspicious. They’ve got backup. They won’t ever be tried.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 04:20 on May 26, 2019

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
dti

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
But read any of this to an imperialist and all of this is made up, fake news, those clearly-marked international aid flour sacks really were terror cement!
Death to imperialists (but especially America and Israel).

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Tubgoat posted:

What could they possibly learn from each other?

Moridin920 posted:

Every tank commander knew, and even the simple soldiers knew, that if something turns out to be not OK, they can say they saw something suspicious. They’ve got backup. They won’t ever be tried.

Oh. :ms:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
idf soldiers sprinkling cement next to the unarmed Palestinian they just killed

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm on the resolutions committee of my local DFL... whatever political subclassification (there is succ aplenty and I will convert it in the style of Cool Spot) and Jewish Voices for Peace had a form letter-type resolution to end St. Paul police department's training by Israel and I just went ":catstare: WHAT THE gently caress."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

idf soldiers sprinkling cement next to the unarmed Palestinian they just killed

lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
lmaooooo

Israeli elections might be coming up soon

yes, again

Bibi hasn't been able to form a coalition. the haredi parties and the secular right-wing parties are feuding and making conflicting demands. the deadline for forming a coalition is Wednesday, and if they fail to meet it, new elections will happen

lest you get your hopes up, though, it seems that the opposition isn't doing much better. an opposition rally was held yesterday to protest the immunity bill Likud introduced. except that the centrist party running it "forgot" to invite the Arab parties. and when the Arab parties showed up anyway, several centrist MKs boycotted the event. gosh, I wonder why Likud keeps winning

in other news, an Israeli police convoy withstood a brutal terrorist attack

https://www.timesofisrael.com/police-settlers-hurl-rocks-and-slash-tires-of-response-force-in-west-bank/

quote:

Dozens of masked settlers attacked a police convoy in the northern West Bank on Saturday afternoon, requiring security forces at the scene to request backup after far-right activists hurled stones at them and slashed the tires of their vehicles, authorities said.

Police said that forces were responding to a report of clashes between Palestinians and Israelis in the area of the Kipah Srugah outpost, north of the settlement of Yitzhar.

Authorities broke up the clashes and were making their way out of the area when they came under attack by settlers, police said. The forces called for police and military backup, but the suspects managed to flee the scene.

An Israel Police vehicle after its tires are slashed by settlers near Yitzhar in the northern West Bank on May 25, 2019. (Israel Police)

Photos provided by police showed the tires of two vehicles completely gashed and the side mirrors smashed by the far-right activists, who were armed with knives and stones.

In a statement recapping the “serious and violent incident,” police said they were working to track down the assailants.

The Yitzhar secretariat released a statement categorically rejecting the police’s account of the Saturday afternoon incident. The town leadership said that contrary to what authorities had claimed, no clashes broke out between Israelis and Palestinians in the area.

According to the statement, a group of Yitzhar youth had stopped outside of the settlement after returning from a hike in the area when Border Police pulled up and ordered them to immediately evacuate the area.

“Without any justification, the forces used harsh violence against them,” the Yitzhar secretariat said. “Instead of admitting their mistake, the police used disproportionate force against the residents, causing tempers to further flare.”

One Israeli resident suffered a head injury and was evacuated for medical treatment after Shabbat ended, the statement said.

Yitzhar and the surrounding outposts have been the scene of dozens of violent clashes in recent years.

Last Friday, Israelis from the northern West Bank community clashed with neighboring Palestinians, with each side accusing the other of torching their fields. Several days later, the B’Tselem rights group released footage showing two Israeli men entering grasslands, crouching down and walking away. Seconds later, flames could be seen in the area where they’d been standing.

An Israel Police vehicle after its mirror is hit by stones thrown by settlers near Yitzhar in the northern West Bank on May 25, 2019. (Israel Police)

In addition, groups of male settlers can be seen throwing rocks at Palestinians’ homes near the villages of Burin and Asirah al-Qibliyah, south of the city of Nablus.

B’Tselem accused the military of failing to stop the Israeli men from carrying out these attacks and preventing the Palestinian residents of the area from extinguishing the flames.

Yitzhar and the surrounding outposts have also been seen by the security establishment as an epicenter of settler violence and have often been linked to attacks on Palestinians and their property, including in Urif last month.

Far-right Israelis justify targeting Palestinians and sometimes IDF soldiers in so-called price tag attacks, ostensibly in retaliation for terror attacks and Israeli government actions deemed hostile to the settler movement.

In December, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs released a report that showed a 69 percent increase in settler attacks on Palestinians in 2018 compared to 2017.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol it should have been easier to form a coalition this time around

is there a possibility of a minority government or a purple coalition with gantz

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

lmaooooo

Israeli elections might be coming up soon

yes, again

Bibi hasn't been able to form a coalition. the haredi parties and the secular right-wing parties are feuding and making conflicting demands. the deadline for forming a coalition is Wednesday, and if they fail to meet it, new elections will happen

lest you get your hopes up, though, it seems that the opposition isn't doing much better. an opposition rally was held yesterday to protest the immunity bill Likud introduced. except that the centrist party running it "forgot" to invite the Arab parties. and when the Arab parties showed up anyway, several centrist MKs boycotted the event. gosh, I wonder why Likud keeps winning

in other news, an Israeli police convoy withstood a brutal terrorist attack

https://www.timesofisrael.com/police-settlers-hurl-rocks-and-slash-tires-of-response-force-in-west-bank/

im the untreated concussion because it was sabbath

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm the far-right activists attacking Israeli police? :confused:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

yeah the settlers are nuts. if the police weren't there to facilitate a long-term ethnic cleansing, it would be another nakba overnight

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tubgoat posted:

it's weird that the police didn't start shooting everyone in sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

the Israeli police generally tolerate and facilitate far-right violence, but in return they demand a certain degree of control and cooperation, which the far-right hates

sure, the Israeli police will happily escort a settler mob out to some Palestinian village to make sure no Israelis get injured as they riot and assault Palestinians, but the Israeli police don't really like it when the settlers go off and do it on their own and then come crying to the Israeli police later, so the most radical ones tend to get administrative sanctions slapped on them in an attempt to limit their freedom and keep them under control. the Israeli police also tend to put a limit on the amount of violence the settler mobs are allowed to do with IDF backing - vandalism, arson, and the occasional beating are fine even when an IDF soldier is standing right there watching them do it, but if they go much beyond that then the troops start firing tear gas and breaking up the fight.

and while 90+% of settler violence cases are never acted against, the few cases that do get pursued generally result in the perpetrator finding out the hard way that many protections afforded by Israeli law aren't provided by the West Bank's military administration, which can do things like detain someone indefinitely without cause or ban people from entering an entire region of the West Bank.

also, the far-right occasionally commits attacks against the IDF as revenge for perceived government bias against the settlement movement, such as shutting down settlements or prosecuting soldiers for war crimes

and other stuff along those lines. they believe that the West Bank is theirs by divine right, and while they hate the Palestinians the most, they also hate the IDF and the Israeli government for not just annexing the West Bank right now and expelling the population. and since Israeli authorities have largely refrained from taking any real action against these groups, openly tolerating a certain amount of radical terrorism without complaint, these groups have been allowed to further radicalize to the point where they're biting the very hand that allowed them to grow. the overwhelming majority of settler terrorists are allowed to do as they please, but the very few who do end up facing punishment are seen as martyrs being unjustly prosecuted by the traitorous unholy government

fun stuff!