Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

You really are some kind of awful savant.

Prona move. :colbert:

Some video from the melbourne anti-lockdown protests on the news now. If it wasn't already, melb is well hosed now, thanks patriots.

We had the morons in Adelaide...
... ADELAIDE. The city that is only asking for masks in public buildings. And yes one poor misguided boomer had an anti 5G sign, as if that's still the flavour of the month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ng2F2CB2Q

Needs more batons and horse charges

Cpt Soban fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My little brothers partner in the UK is covid positive, again. Bro is slightly symptomatic but tested negative yesterday. He's going to retest in a couple of days. He had pfizer and she had the AZ last year and they both had Covid around April last year. She's feeling worse than last time apparently but hopefully they'll come through it fine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

alf_pogs posted:

I would think a lot of recruitment for race-hate stuff like that is less about converting them to a new ideology and more about normalising the viewpoint and making it common to preach it / see it in public. so folks see it and find a like-minded group of absolute loving morons

Yeah, it's about escalation and normalisation. And intimidation. They want to be as loud and visible as possible so people think they represent a majority.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Synthbuttrange posted:

lol whats the washed up old turd said now

I think the current thing he's running with is the claim that the Victorian Government is secretly prepping to lock down the state until New Years.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think the current thing he's running with is the claim that the Victorian Government is secretly prepping to lock down the state until New Years.

https://twitter.com/jeff_kennett/status/1428663173716987909?s=21

E: I’m kinda surprised he doesn’t have a blue check

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They have to- NSW is not going out of this via lockdown, NSW is now just trying to flatten the curve enough not to overload the ICU staff who are 1 doubling away from that level...in about 10 days. They need to flatten enough to not double in...12 weeks.

NSW will need staff from other states in about 2 weeks, less if ICU staff get it and then have to self isolate. And the other states are going to say no. The ADF will help a bit, but they won't have many ICU staff either.

ICU Beds run out after another doubling...so about 1 month, assuming you have the trained staff to run them.

Victoria is a lot further behind in cases, so we hopefully be able to last till we get enough vaccine jabs in by the end of the year. Some of the lockdown measures will probably be able to be lifted around November (assuming enough people get the Jab by then), but we'll be wearing masks past January.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Comstar posted:

They have to- NSW is not going out of this via lockdown, NSW is now just trying to flatten the curve enough not to overload the ICU staff who are 1 doubling away from that level...in about 10 days. They need to flatten enough to not double in...12 weeks.

NSW will need staff from other states in about 2 weeks, less if ICU staff get it and then have to self isolate. And the other states are going to say no. The ADF will help a bit, but they won't have many ICU staff either.

ICU Beds run out after another doubling...so about 1 month, assuming you have the trained staff to run them.

Victoria is a lot further behind in cases, so we hopefully be able to last till we get enough vaccine jabs in by the end of the year. Some of the lockdown measures will probably be able to be lifted around November (assuming enough people get the Jab by then), but we'll be wearing masks past January.

I can see why you post your doomsdaying here because you'd never fit all this on a sandwich board.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I can see why you post your doomsdaying here because you'd never fit all this on a sandwich board.

Could always be one of those dude that writes it all over their cars.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Do you expect NSW to be able to get on top of their outbreak before we get enough people jabbed, not including anyone under 12, who are a large part of the infected group now.

I expect Victoria probably will with the new and now statewide restrictions, but who would have any confidence NSW will? The LNP in NSW don't, or they wouldn't be saying "we need to learn to live with it now". The amount of cases in NSW is doubling every 7 days. That's better than when had out first wave when it was doubling every 3, but you won't reach November before the health system falls over at that rate.

https://www.covid19data.com.au/victoria

https://www.covid19data.com.au/nsw

Comstar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 21, 2021

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I will say that Comstar isn't the only one stating these points, and it's a very real worry that the NSW government is too incompetent to avoid overloading their health system. And no, I can't imagine any other state is going to be willing to send their ICU trained staff into the pit. And what staff would be willing to do so? They'd be loving saints.

They've only now, finally, after months of people bringing it up as a joke, made Bunnings go to click and collect. It's a joke because that's the simplest part of actually locking down, and they haven't managed to do that until now, 2 months in, and they are only so many doublings away from system collapse. Who wants to bet against the idea that they've already got some freezer trucks on standby so the corpses don't pile up in the streets India style?

It's all well and good until the hospitals can't cope and people without covid start dying from lack of medical attention, and people with covid can't get access to oxygen and start dying, and people who are recovering from covid sit there for weeks on end slowly sucking up resources.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Their entire strategy is getting enough people with the first shot that the rate of hospitalisation stays manageable. It more than likely won’t work but it’s all they’ve got at this stage.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

TheLastRoboKy posted:

After posting yesterday I read up a bit more on NSW ICU capacity and surge capacity. There are 800 or so ICU beds available and that can surge to 2500.

But…

Some of that surge is “ICU ready” beds in the hospital that can be used pretty much straightaway, whilst a lot is “ICU adjacent” beds that can be commandeered into a quasi ICU capability if needed. Think high dependency units, cardiac care units, surgery recovery beds etc.

Those beds are currently being used for their regular function - they are not unused wards and wings of hospitals waiting to swing into action.

And then how do you staff them all?

Also, beds does not equal ventilators of which NSW had under 1000 ventilators available across the state.

Here’s the link: https://www.mja.com.au/system/files/2020-04/Preprint%20Litton%206%20April%202020.pdf

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

After posting yesterday I read up a bit more on NSW ICU capacity and surge capacity. There are 800 or so ICU beds available and that can surge to 2500.

But…

Some of that surge is “ICU ready” beds in the hospital that can be used pretty much straightaway, whilst a lot is “ICU adjacent” beds that can be commandeered into a quasi ICU capability if needed. Think high dependency units, cardiac care units, surgery recovery beds etc.

Those beds are currently being used for their regular function - they are not unused wards and wings of hospitals waiting to swing into action.

And then how do you staff them all?

Also, beds does not equal ventilators of which NSW had under 1000 ventilators available across the state.

Here’s the link: https://www.mja.com.au/system/files/2020-04/Preprint%20Litton%206%20April%202020.pdf

There’s also the difference between normal ICU beds and beds in negative pressure rooms. A negative pressure room maintains air pressure at a lower level inside than the surrounding areas, which means air won’t flow back out into common areas. It’s what you really want when dealing with highly infectious airborne diseases because without it it makes it much more difficult to contain exposure to only staff entering those rooms. Given we seem to have figured out that surface transmission doesn’t seem to be the risk we once thought, a negative pressure room is an amazing leg up in containing exposure.

I’d have to assume that they’re already over capacity for negative pressure rooms because they’re absolutely not the norm.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Comstar posted:

Do you expect NSW to be able to get on top of their outbreak before we get enough people jabbed, not including anyone under 12, who are a large part of the infected group now.

You missed the point of the Jeff Kennett tweet criticism. It wasn't about whether or not the lockdown was likely it was about the fact he was seemingly making up scenarios of secret backroom communications to spread misinformation about circumstances that hadn't yet been decided on, to undermine the current government and any efforts they have been undertaking to try to limit damage due to the current Delta outbreak. That's why I was cracking a joke at your expense, because Kennett is putting an agenda in place trying to fight against the measures you're all listing about needing to be done to prevent a complete collapse of our health system but you wanted to leap into your usual bit without sitting down and critically examining who is saying what, and what their agenda might be.

Of course the situation is dire, but it's not yet dire enough for me to read your graphs.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i'm not denying that i personally did 9/11, but nobody else should be smeared by my actions

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

probably should have spoken up before Afghanistan was invaded

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

You missed the point of the Jeff Kennett tweet criticism. It wasn't about whether or not the lockdown was likely it was about the fact he was seemingly making up scenarios of secret backroom communications to spread misinformation about circumstances that hadn't yet been decided on, to undermine the current government and any efforts they have been undertaking to try to limit damage due to the current Delta outbreak. That's why I was cracking a joke at your expense, because Kennett is putting an agenda in place trying to fight against the measures you're all listing about needing to be done to prevent a complete collapse of our health system but you wanted to leap into your usual bit without sitting down and critically examining who is saying what, and what their agenda might be.

Of course the situation is dire, but it's not yet dire enough for me to read your graphs.

https://twitter.com/MartinPakulaMP/status/1428674903809527815

Victorian Labor are far from perfect but thank loving Christ they were running the joint rather than Kennett's mob when the pandemic hit

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Ignoring how ugly and hateful stuff like this actually is.

Does it work in attracting new recruits? Does a normal person see something like that and then suddenly go "You know what, I think the Jews were behind 9-11. Gosh, better get ready for the race war."

Is that indeed it's purpose? As a recruiting tool? Coz I would argue that poo poo like that is preaching to the converted, and it's purpose is more to intimidate, and maybe as a secondary function help to normalize their hosed up views.

It's mostly about intimidation and normalisation, but an antilockdown rally is probably the easiest place to find people primed to be recruited to insane conspiracies based on a sticker.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Yeah there've been a bunch of Qanon and 9/11 was an inside job signs at all these protests

And at least one of the speakers at that one a while ago on the steps of Victorian Parliement was an avowed Q guy and talked about it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 22, 2021

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Sydney lockdown rules are not conveyed the best, so I just found out about recreation being a valid reason to be out and about. Which basically allows you to do anything so long as you're distant from people.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

I saw a live feed on 24 of a helicopter shot of a police line start shooting riot spray into the Melbourne protest, and then getting rushed, shoving with all the cops and scattering all the horse cops, but I can't find a clip of it

They cut the feed, presumably to get a more passive Public Nuisance angle with the chopper rather than broadcasting the (not that many, maybe thirty or forty) dudes getting chased down and EXTREMELY arrested, which is what they came back with like five minutes later

Ey there it is, shortly after getting riot strength pepper sprayed

https://twitter.com/GillianMcKeith/status/1428950744015704065

More like a hundred or two

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 22, 2021

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

I lost braincells reading some of the replies to that tweet

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey bad thread. I don’t care about any of you except muyb, hope you’re well mate and as much as I hate to say it go the dees and hope you have an enjoyable finals series.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Poor horses

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

Hey bad thread. I don’t care about any of you except muyb, hope you’re well mate and as much as I hate to say it go the dees and hope you have an enjoyable finals series.

Wow rude

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

teacup posted:

Care a little bit then don't you mate [tickles you a bit] huh care a bit mate, doncha

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Amoeba102 posted:

Sydney lockdown rules are not conveyed the best, so I just found out about recreation being a valid reason to be out and about. Which basically allows you to do anything so long as you're distant from people.

Not valid in the hot zones areas of concern anymore, but fine in the standard-lockdown beachside suburbs.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/jessvanvonderen/status/1429294607230128128?s=21

Completely normal behaviour. It’s a wonder how these protests go by without any notice!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish misadventures on these very fine people

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
don't, the hospital system doesn't need the extra strain

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

teacup posted:

Hey teacup hope you and the bub are doing well :3

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Turned Jabanese today, first shot of Pfizer

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

teacup posted:

guess i owe you $20 for that

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/10NewsFirst/status/1429342764467200007

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I'm guessing that means the Fed LNP leadership knows the NSW LNP leadership is toast and wants to let them die in the street so they can then come in and help their replacement.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Thinking about this article about a 2019 flu outbreak which was apparently 9x times worse than usual. People were told to stay home/don't take kids to school, and get vaccinated. I wonder if the people who have been saying "Covid is just the flu" got vaccinated back then?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...spPmiEA1becoiZs

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Thinking about this article about a 2019 flu outbreak which was apparently 9x times worse than usual. People were told to stay home/don't take kids to school, and get vaccinated. I wonder if the people who have been saying "Covid is just the flu" got vaccinated back then?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...spPmiEA1becoiZs

Definitely not, they'll have just let their powerful natural immune system take care of everything, same as now.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Comstar posted:

I'm guessing that means the Fed LNP leadership knows the NSW LNP leadership is toast and wants to let them die in the street so they can then come in and help their replacement.

I don’t know if that’s the case, I would expect that NSW Libs to be in a better position than the feds even with the bungles. ALP is non existent in NSW at the moment.

Frankly I’m surprised feds didn’t use this as an opportunity to swoop in, “save the day” and take credit. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s pure Morrison petulance.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

News.com.au posted:

A controversial Coalition senator has launched an attack on children’s entertainment group The Wiggles for adding four new racially diverse characters to its line-up.

Tsehay Hawkins, 15, is originally from Ethiopia and will wear red; Evie Ferris is a 24-year-old Indigenous woman who will wear blue; Kelly Hamilton, 45, is Asian-Australian and will wear yellow; and John Pearce, 28, of pop group Justice Crew, has Filipino heritage and will wear purple.

Matt Canavan, a Nationals senator from Queensland, wasn’t pleased with Sunday’s announcement.

“The Wiggles are free to do what they like. It was nice while it lasted. But you go woke, you go broke,” Senator Canavan told the newspaper.

I really hate this man.

Also lol putting the asian in yellow, just like Power Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"go woke, go broke! go woke, go broke!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob