Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Black Noise posted:

Why would the elite communicate exclusively like they are in an ARG

Because it's a cult, and cults use unique linguistics to keep members in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
pak choonie unf

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Boxturret posted:

And despite these guys very publicly decoding the messages they never attract the attention of the bad guys.

cryptic memes are this one weird trick that both protects the prophet from those who would do him harm and cloaks r/gmeme in an impenetrable veil of secrecy

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

credit to RC for selling his cryptic messages in picture book form, though.

gotta respect the hustle

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I've seen responses ranging from evading the detection of the deep state to plausible deniability from the SEC, because orchestrating a short squeeze is in fact illegal. That kind of illegal market manipulation is OK when their billionaire is the one doing it, obviously.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dr_rat posted:

That's just how super, super smart people communicate 100%.

It's also why they have no friends. Man it's annoying constantly dealing with that bullshit. Ask em do you want to meet up for drinks on Saturday night and they post you a children book they just wrote about giraffes and penguins brushing their teeth or something. Like what the gently caress, just say yes or no.

I was thinking it might be fun having a thread where everybody communicates this way, but after thinking about it for another 5 seconds, it just sounded exhausting.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hello Sailor posted:

cryptic memes are this one weird trick that both protects the prophet from those who would do him harm and cloaks r/gmeme in an impenetrable veil of secrecy

That is so not how you spell stupidity. I mean, yes, it starts with an s.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cruft posted:

I was thinking it might be fun having a thread where everybody communicates this way, but after thinking about it for another 5 seconds, it just sounded exhausting.

a thread? cspam has a whole subforum!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

GME's gotta announce dilution soon, yeah?

baggies authorized them to sell 700M additional shares on the 300M already outstanding

not only did they announce dilution but terrible Q1 results

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

quote:

May 17 (Reuters) - GameStop (GME.N), opens new tab expects first-quarter net sales to drop from a year ago, as customers transition to buying video games and collectibles online, while the retailer largely relies on brick and mortar stores.

But how could they have predicted the new trend of customers transitioning to buying video games and collectibles online?!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Big rear end On Fire posted:

But how could they have predicted the new trend of customers transitioning to buying video games and collectibles online?!

I believe you'll find they offer some very online collectibles

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

If only they had, say, bought a site that had an excellent reputation among extremely online people for selling cool, weird poo poo to nerds with more dollars than sense.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if you want real excitement dabble in a double leveraged natural gas bear/bull ETF

the "gasino" as it were

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

numberoneposter posted:

if you want real excitement dabble in a double leveraged natural gas bear/bull ETF

the "gasino" as it were

Oh you want to play with the widowmaker? KOLD and BOIL

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i have to use HNU and HND for canadian dollars which really dont have the same ring

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FFIE the new meme widowmaker

r/ffie looking like 2021 r/superstonk

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fate Accomplice posted:

FFIE the new meme widowmaker

r/ffie looking like 2021 r/superstonk

They’re all over the place and I wish they could be contained into r/ffie. It’s amazing how they say the exact same poo poo as the first meme run, after seeing how it turned out then and somehow they think it will go differently this time.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Red Lobster is filing for bankruptcy.

Moon???

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Red Lobster is filing for bankruptcy.

Moon???

They're gonna merge with TEDDY and become REDDY. A Red Lobster/Bed Bath and Beyond/Gamestop mega-corp that will trigger MOASS and lead to wife changing money

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Red Wrath and Reyond

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Now airing on disney plus

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tunicate posted:

Red Wrath and Reyond

The Something Awful Forums › Main › General Bullshit › Meme Stock Madness: Red Wrath and Reyond

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Tunicate posted:

Meme Stock Madness: Red Wrath and Reyond

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Tunicate posted:

Red Wrath and Reyond
_____________________________________________________________/

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Me, a genius ape: sitting in my gamer chair, streaming a GMErica/Blockbuster movie, eating my Red Lobster Gamer Fuel Meal :smug:
Hedgies: :qq:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

makes sense that they'd be out of money, red is the opposite of green

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Neito posted:

Meme Stock Madness: Red Wrath and Beyond

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Red Lobster is not a publicly traded company. Darden Restaurants is, but I don’t think it’s a meme stock in any sense.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ariong posted:

Red Lobster is not a publicly traded company.

If this thread teaches us anything it’s that apes would see this as a relatively minor obstacle.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Their parent company, Thai Union, is publicly traded on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, let’s loving goooo

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Their parent company, Thai Union, is publicly traded on the Stock Exchange of Thailand, let’s loving goooo

Apparently it's very likely that the unlimited shrimp deal that helped drive Red Lobster into bankruptcy happened specifically because that parent company (who also had a business selling shrimp) realized the best way to extract value was to have Red Lobster buy as much shrimp as possible from them. From yesterday's Money Stuff newsletter...

Matt Levine posted:

Ultimate endless shrimp

Here is a hypothetical move:

1. You are in the business of producing and selling shrimp.
2. You expand vertically by acquiring a chain of seafood restaurants.
3. The restaurants start to struggle and are heavily indebted, and you worry that your equity investment is losing value and possibly worthless.
4. How to cut your losses?
5. Well, you have two relationships to the restaurant chain: You own the equity, and you also supply the shrimp.
6. Not much you can do with the equity: There’s a lot of debt, the creditors rank ahead of you, and they are unlikely to let you take any cash out as a dividend.
7. But, as the equity owner, you also control the board of directors and get to appoint the chief executive officer.
8. The CEO decides how much shrimp to buy.
9. What if he decided to buy a lot of shrimp?
10. Then you’d make money on the shrimp, and extract at least some value out of your equity investment.

There is presumably some tipping point. There is some level where the restaurants are viable enough that you will want to operate them to maximize their equity value, but if they fall below that level, you will give up on the equity and just try to maximize the shrimp consumption. In the first equilibrium, you will spend money carefully on shrimp and biscuits and silverware and advertising, with the goal of increasing profitability. In the second equilibrium, you will spend money profligately and only on shrimp, with the goal of spending money on shrimp.

[...]

I love my job, but would I take a sabbatical to spend a few months on the team investigating whether Red Lobster’s controlling shareholder “exercised an outsized influence” on its shrimp purchasing and “circumvented [its] normal supply chain and demand planning processes”? Probably. Someone has to get to the bottom of that shrimp merchandising.

Look: I think I am kidding. “As to what drove Red Lobster to the edge, it’s clear that despite not being a very good idea, the blame doesn’t fall on Endless Shrimp,” Business Insider’s Emily Stewart argued a few weeks ago. They didn’t send all the money out the door for shrimp. My assumption here is that the investigation won’t find much, everyone was operating in good faith and doing the best job they could to save a struggling company, and at the start of a bankruptcy you cast a wide net for possible ways to claw back money for creditors. [2] But what if that’s wrong? What if the executive meetings were like:

CEO: We’re in a lot of trouble, any ideas?

Chief Financial Officer: Let’s close some underperforming locations and do a liability management exercise.

CEO: I have a better idea. Shrimp.

Chief Experience Officer: What about shrimp in particular?

CEO: I think we should buy a ton of shrimp and then sell the heck out of them. I’m talking heavy in-store promotion, a permanent unlimited shrimp for $20 deal, maybe commission some songs about shrimp.

Chief Experience Officer: We actually have pretty detailed demand projections and they show that customers only want —

CEO: Never mind the projections, I am telling you, the answer is shrimp. We use every penny we have left to buy shrimp, and the demand will follow!

Chief Experience Officer: ...

CEO: Just bet the whole company on shrimp.

Chief Supply Chain Officer: Okay I guess we can bid out a huge new shrimp contract to suppliers.

CEO: Oh no, no bids.

Then he gets up from the table and shrimp fall out of his pockets and he walks out of the boardroom trailing shrimp everywhere, this is what corporate finance is all about.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

Apparently it's very likely that the unlimited shrimp deal that helped drive Red Lobster into bankruptcy happened specifically because that parent company (who also had a business selling shrimp) realized the best way to extract value was to have Red Lobster buy as much shrimp as possible from them. From yesterday's Money Stuff newsletter...

this sounds ridiculous, but having read the bankruptcy filings, it seems like what the lenders (who now control the company and are, uh, mad) believe

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

evilweasel posted:

this sounds ridiculous, but having read the bankruptcy filings, it seems like what the lenders (who now control the company and are, uh, mad) believe

If it is true, then it's probably the closest we'll get this decade to a corporate version of a mafia bust out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuPvjngCcOg

Nov 6, 2002

The permanent shrimp promotion didn't help but there are bigger factors at play. The first private equity firm that bought RL sold the real estate that the restaurants were on in order to help finance the purchase and then leased them back, which immediately caused revenue to plummet with the addition of these expenses leases. The more long term problem is that post COVID no one wants to go to a loving Red Lobster for dinner. The brand is garbo.

https://www.businessinsider.com/red-lobster-endless-shrimp-bankruptcy-private-equity-debt-real-estate-2024-5

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The permanent shrimp promotion didn't help but there are bigger factors at play. The first private equity firm that bought RL sold the real estate that the restaurants were on in order to help finance the purchase and then leased them back, which immediately caused revenue to plummet with the addition of these expenses leases. The more long term problem is that post COVID no one wants to go to a loving Red Lobster for dinner. The brand is garbo.

https://www.businessinsider.com/red-lobster-endless-shrimp-bankruptcy-private-equity-debt-real-estate-2024-5

Oh yeah, it's not like they would have survived if not for the endless shrimp promotion. It's just funny that their owners realized that they the business was hosed anyways, and decided that pulling the copper out of the walls to pay for more shrimp (that the owners were conveniently selling to them) was the easiest way to get money from the business before it went bankrupt.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
https://x.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1792970117204287992

RFK Jr just threw in with the apes.

Nov 6, 2002

Meme Stock Madness: Ape Retail Rebellion

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pfffhahahahahaha Jesus loving Christ

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

RFK proving that there's no conspiracy too dumb for him not to believe in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Has he thrown in with flat-earthers yet?