Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Can't we just all agree that everyone is a completely unfunny oval office and move on?

We need to leave all of this GBS/GWS hating behind, and get back to important business of this thread: hating Chef de Cuisinart.

But what about Pr0k's mom? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

Mr. Wookums posted:

Why spend any effort on that?

Desetr Eagle posted:

Then maybe I would learn why you shouldn't simmer a pork shoulder.

Because some of us would rather learn a thing about cooking than pretend that some sort of arbitrary forums identity is important.

And the guy that made that original post said things that seem to make sense to me rather than just spew mindless vitriol. Maybe you'd care to add to his statement or give a differing view point?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

les fleurs du mall posted:

I'm actually not wrong, that guy just thinks he knows more about cooking than me because i'm not a posting regular in GWS

it's an excellent way to tenderize meat of any kind prior to actually cooking it properly; you don't do it for the entire duration. it's a very gentle and subtle process which http://www.cooks.com/rec/story/79/ affects the meat on a chemical level.

You then can use typical methods of prep like rubbing in sea salt to extract excess moisture before you grill or roast your meats. It's excellent and is worth trying with pretty much any red meat, don't like one guy's ego steer you away from a tasty meal experiment if you've never done this before.
You are wrong. You were advocating a SV method of simmering the meat, keeping it in the package and not in direct contact with water, your link isn't applicable.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

"SA is a comedy forum" is the sorriest excuse for shitposting, like "she was asking for it with what she was wearing." There's a reason why BYOB/new GBS/ etc are mostly self-contained, and why SA as a whole is like 90% forums that have nothing to do with that style of posting. The majority of people who use SA are here because there's a particular tone that you can't find elsewhere.

There's plenty of room for not being so serious that doesn't devolve to making GBS threads out unfunny tripe. These forums are special to everyone because they allow you to say (mostly) whatever the gently caress you want in a way that is still incredibly useful and also hilarious for the most part. It being a "comedy forum" doesn't mean you have to shoehorn in terrible jokes vaguely wrapped around whatever subforum theme you're posting in.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Xoidanor posted:

But what about Pr0k's mom? :ohdear:

Hating and hate-loving are completely different things

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

Hating and hate-loving are completely different things

:laffo:

Most of yall need to chill. GWS isn't sacred ground.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
You just compared posting an unfunny joke to rape.

Really.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Mr. Wookums posted:

You are wrong. You were advocating a SV method of simmering the meat, keeping it in the package and not in direct contact with water, your link isn't applicable.

sorry, i thought it would be obvious that you'd be piercing the bag first. my bad

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Desetr Eagle posted:

Because some of us would rather learn a thing about cooking than pretend that some sort of arbitrary forums identity is important.

And the guy that made that original post said things that seem to make sense to me rather than just spew mindless vitriol. Maybe you'd care to add to his statement or give a differing view point?
The person who originally asked the question was if he could cook a bone in shoulder, in packaging suspended in water. My first reply was a link with the method to SV pork shoulder and also that you wouldn't want to simmer in a bag. This was before the GBS post to simmer in the bag; bitch at him.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

simmer it v v low for couple of hours, but then remove it and grill it properly
unless the packaging explicitly tells you not to do this because the plastic is made of cancer then go hog wild(;)) and get REAL beefy :)

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

i like the idea of GWS challenges but:

the problem isn't that you talk about cooking, obviously. It's that you do it with no sense of humor or ability to laugh at yourselves nor include anyone who's wearing anything even remotely resembling a jester's hat

I think its possible to talk about cooking AND be funny at the same time but i'm a piece of poo poo shitposting troll fuckhead for trying

All GWS/SO does is laugh at itself. Nothing you've done or said is funny, just obnoxious. I like it here because it's a cooking forum where even when people take things deadly seriously, they're also jokey and friendly about it. The tablespoon thing is a perfect loving example (units varying from country to country is a pain in the loving rear end and nonsense and YES, using fully a third more or a quarter less butter can RUIN a loving baking recipe or break a sauce) of people joking about a frustrating thing and how absurd it is and actually being informative.

Coming in here and spouting ableist, homophobic and racist slurs is not funny (and whoever put the n-word in CdC's should strongly consider turning off their computer and never speaking to anyone ever again). Your stupid threads are not funny. Making fun of people who have been perfectly loving hospitable to anybody with even the most inane cooking or food question -- IF ASKED IN GOOD FAITH -- is not funny, and certainly not likely to engender feelings of good will or further hospitality.

The real problem here is that GBS isn't even GBS anymore, is FYAD, and the quarantine has broken.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think I'm going to take my pork shoulder out of the package and just roast it in the oven, because I've learned today that doing a boil-in-bag SV strategy can release chemicals from the plastic which cause brain damage and eventually turn people into shitposters. I can't risk going any further down that road.

Thanks all.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Test Pattern posted:

All GWS/SO does is laugh at itself. Nothing you've done or said is funny, just obnoxious. I like it here because it's a cooking forum where even when people take things deadly seriously, they're also jokey and friendly about it. The tablespoon thing is a perfect loving example (units varying from country to country is a pain in the loving rear end and nonsense and YES, using fully a third more or a quarter less butter can RUIN a loving baking recipe or break a sauce) of people joking about a frustrating thing and how absurd it is and actually being informative.

Coming in here and spouting ableist, homophobic and racist slurs is not funny (and whoever put the n-word in CdC's should strongly consider turning off their computer and never speaking to anyone ever again). Your stupid threads are not funny. Making fun of people who have been perfectly loving hospitable to anybody with even the most inane cooking or food question -- IF ASKED IN GOOD FAITH -- is not funny, and certainly not likely to engender feelings of good will or further hospitality.

The real problem here is that GBS isn't even GBS anymore, is FYAD, and the quarantine has broken.

GWS laughs at itself, GBS is FYAD, less than 2/3rd of the tablespoon posts were sincere

any other good jokes?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

CommonShore posted:

I think I'm going to take my pork shoulder out of the package and just roast it in the oven, because I've learned today that doing a boil-in-bag SV strategy can release chemicals from the plastic which cause brain damage and eventually turn people into shitposters. I can't risk going any further down that road.

Thanks all.

lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

You know if you just ignore them they go away right?

This is the fuel that keeps the fire burning.

Like when some idiot front of house person keeps trying to tell you some idiot poo poo and you finally just go 'look talk to the Chef I don't care about whatever this is.' Don't engage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Test Pattern posted:

How have you been here since 2007 and don't understand how this works?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Moridin920 posted:

You know if you just ignore them they go away right?

This is the fuel that keeps the fire burning.

Like when some idiot front of house person keeps trying to tell you some idiot poo poo and you finally just go 'look talk to the Chef I don't care about whatever this is.' Don't engage.

Yes, good point. Sorry. It's just that I used to actually like GBS, sometimes.

ETA: I don't even understand what my red title is referring to. Wow.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
if someone posts a joke thread here, it's in bad faith.

they've no interest in generating content, or laughs.

They're just here to see how much they can get away with saying tranny or friend of the family

they've no interest in somethingawful being a source for unique comedy, which is what goons with spoons is all about - all this laughing and joking we do as we compare our chef resumes,

challenging each other over tablespoon measurements under the guise of horseplay

whats the world coming to when an rear end in a top hat gets the word friend of the family put under his avatar i mean, really. it's childish isn't it?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

Yes, good point. Sorry. It's just that I used to actually like GBS, sometimes.

ETA: I don't even understand what my red title is referring to. Wow.

Don't apologize, I totally feel you with regards to GBS.

The red title is just to rile you up bc you complained about the other one, I'm sure.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Moridin920 posted:

Don't apologize, I totally feel you with regards to GBS.

The red title is just to rile you up bc you complained about the other one, I'm sure.

Probably. But normally the "ask me about" red titles, even when bullshit, are something relating to a joke, and not just slander. Standards have fallen!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Test Pattern posted:

Probably. But normally the "ask me about" red titles, even when bullshit, are something relating to a joke, and not just slander. Standards have fallen!

Libel. Slander is when you say something untrue, libel is when it's written down.

None of this is in any way a comment on the truth of your having relations of any kind with your sister, this is not an actionable defamation to you, the anonymous red text giver or your sister.

Edit: "Alleged" sister

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 25, 2015

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I thought les fleurs du mall had a few good jokes. I really don't think GWS is being destroyed by introducing a little humor into it. It really is a subforum of a comedy website after all.

You can't expect "your poison womb is making Heaven too loving crowded" to coexist on the same place as an ultra-serious food forum. I originally started posting in GWS because of Scientastic's hilarious Florida-local ICSA thread.

(I think is was Scientastic)

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
It seems a little unlikely that somebody would invent that title out of nowhere without it being prompted by something you said, but then again, goons will be goons

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Scientastic posted:

Libel. Slander is when you say something untrue, libel is when it's written down.

None of this is in any way a comment in the truth of your having relations of any kind with your sister, this is not an actionable defamation to you, the anonymous red text giver or your sister.

You're absolutely right. The funny thing is, I'm a lawyer!
(and no, it's not based on anything I've ever said here. This post is the very first time I've ever mentioned even having a sister on SA, to the best of my knowledge.)

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Scientastic posted:

None of this is in any way a comment on the truth of your having relations of any kind with your sister, this is not an actionable defamation to you, the anonymous red text giver or your sister.

Don't pull me into this!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
wait, what

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean... are you sure you didn't sexually punish your sister for something in the past?

It does seem a little oddly specific.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Libelous Slander posted:

Don't pull me into this!

drat thats really cool that they basically said your username.

Moridin920 posted:

I mean... are you sure you didn't sexually punish your sister for something in the past?

If the guy says he didn't rape his sister he probably didn't

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's hard to tell that they were jokes, because jokes are usually funny.

There are plenty of comedy posts in gws that coexist w serious food posts.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

pile of brown posted:

It's hard to tell that they were jokes, because jokes are usually funny.

There are plenty of comedy posts in gws that coexist w serious food posts.

TBF, this forum is more of the dad-joke variety of humor than most on this site

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Fetus Tree posted:

If the guy says he didn't rape his sister he probably didn't

ahhh, the "come on man, he's okay" defense set in the precedent case of The People vs Conquistador Circa Aatrek ban

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Moridin920 posted:

That's what's so weird! It's not just random slurs, it's in the style of callouts of people who have said insane/disgusting/criminal poo poo on the fora, right down to the quoted word (which isn't even my preferred misogynistic slur OR my preferred slang for the genitals in question).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm just gonna pose all my cooking questions to GBS and see how well that goes over.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Desetr Eagle posted:

TBF, this forum is more of the dad-joke variety of humor than most on this site

QFT

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Roast beef?

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

Mr. Wookums posted:

Roast beef?

I seriously hope that isn't a sex joke in reference to that poor guy and his sister. If it is, it is in extremely poor taste and poorly timed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

contrapants posted:

I thought les fleurs du mall had a few good jokes. I really don't think GWS is being destroyed by introducing a little humor into it. It really is a subforum of a comedy website after all.

You can't expect "your poison womb is making Heaven too loving crowded" to coexist on the same place as an ultra-serious food forum. I originally started posting in GWS because of Scientastic's hilarious Florida-local ICSA thread.

(I think is was Scientastic)

Good times!

I came second and won Bart's homemade bacon and some smoked pig fat.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Test Pattern posted:

That's what's so weird! It's not just random slurs, it's in the style of callouts of people who have said insane/disgusting/criminal poo poo on the fora, right down to the quoted word (which isn't even my preferred misogynistic slur OR my preferred slang for the genitals in question).

So uhh, gotta ask bud, what happened the time you raped your "oval office" of a sister because you are a weird deviant hosed up freak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

Nooner posted:

So uhh, gotta ask bud, what happened the time you raped your "oval office" of a sister because you are a weird deviant hosed up freak?

I really thought we'd escape this debacle without this being asked. It is severely unlikely he actually raped his sister and I believe him when he says he'd rather demean a persons gender with a different word than oval office.