Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
not sure if anyone's mentioned yet

but you can stick breaching charges on each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You can also throw hammers to kill people

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
does this mean it's time, for a new rocket crowbar hammer mod???

sum
Nov 15, 2010

BR is fine. I don't like the lobbying and the fact that half the game is basically just the worst part of PUBG (running around like an rear end in a top hat with no gun), but everyone is really bad so even a scrub who hasn't picked up CS in 5 years like me can get a 6 kill win pretty easily

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Played 6 games all 6 had walls either on my team or on the other team. One of our team mates was open about using it and telling our team where the other team was aiming as people approached sites etc. I wasn't all doom and gloom about the update but fucccck MM is ruined.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

my first game after the update was a 16-0 win and i died 3 times so its good to me

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I got accused of cheating now when I went 22-14 in a gold nova 2. :allears:

Also I do just as good/bad on my silver 2 account as I do on my gold nova 2. The only real difference I see is that in gold nova people aren't as predictable but k/d ratio wise they are the same rank.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I’m returning to the game for the first time in years. What are some good solid guns for me to learn to get good with? I want to have something to use in every category, and worry about changing that once I’ve got the fundamentals down.

So far I’m thinking:
USP-S, Glock-18 & P250 for pistols.
MP9 & MAC-10 for SMG.
Galil, FAMAS, M4A4 & SG 553 for rifles (this is probably too many).

I also don’t have any picks for the Heavy category, but I also don’t really expect to need to use them.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Gunder posted:

I’m returning to the game for the first time in years. What are some good solid guns for me to learn to get good with? I want to have something to use in every category, and worry about changing that once I’ve got the fundamentals down.

So far I’m thinking:
MP9 & MAC-10 for SMG.

I also don’t have any picks for the Heavy category, but I also don’t really expect to need to use them.

Galil is the most underrated gun in the game.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hako posted:

I got accused of cheating now when I went 22-14 in a gold nova 2. :allears:

Also I do just as good/bad on my silver 2 account as I do on my gold nova 2. The only real difference I see is that in gold nova people aren't as predictable but k/d ratio wise they are the same rank.

Just played a game where a guy on my team with a pepe avatar insisted that the top scorer on our team, a *GIRL*, was hacking, tried to votekick a few times and was calling her position to the other team in chat and asking them to report, until she abandoned. Then we lost 14-16

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Gunder posted:

So far I’m thinking:
MP9 & MAC-10 for SMG.

Shotguns (minus the sawed off) are actually very useful in certain situations. They're very good for holding angles and have nice kill bonuses. I also highly suggest that you learn the AK, even if it is probably the hardest one to learn. It's such a cheap rifle and only takes one headshot for a kill.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Originally I was going to go for the AK over the SG, but was then told that the SG might be a little better if I had no previous experience with the AK. According to this person, the AK is much more popular than the SG largely because people are so used to the AK, and get good consistent results with it, not because the SG is worse. The also suggested that the SG might actually be a little better if you were equally good with both. Is this wrong?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Gunder posted:

Originally I was going to go for the AK over the SG, but was then told that the SG might be a little better if I had no previous experience with the AK. According to this person, the AK is much more popular than the SG largely because people are so used to the AK, and get good consistent results with it, not because the SG is worse. The also suggested that the SG might actually be a little better if you were equally good with both. Is this wrong?

SG is better because it makes CS "purists" so angry that you're using a COD gun.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Gunder posted:

I wouldn't necessarily classify it as wrong as in the end it's all about personal preference, but I personally find the AK to be a lot more flexible in terms of use. Plus, the hip fire from the SG can be a bit wild, and I don't like taking a millisecond to have to scope in at range when I can just take flicks or taps with the AK as the first bullet is crazy accurate.

The SG is certainly a viable weapon choice, and I definitely see where a beginner would fair better with it. There's a few good players in here who I know prefer the SG over the AK, so I'm sure they'd be able to give you a much better rundown on why they'd choose it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

xsf421 posted:

SG is better because it makes CS "purists" so angry that you're using a COD gun.

I’ve noticed this already. Almost every time I get the last Kill in a round with it I get poo poo chat from the guy I killed. At least 3 of them called me an idiot cod player.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Gunder posted:

I’ve noticed this already. Almost every time I get the last Kill in a round with it I get poo poo chat from the guy I killed. At least 3 of them called me an idiot cod player.

It's even better telling them that if they didn't focus so much on what guns other people used then maybe they wouldn't be total garbage. It's one of the best reasons why all my characters in BFV are women.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
SG and AUG definitely have a hidden "tilt the opposing team" stat. I think in a vacuum they are basically straight upgrades and definitely worth the extra $50, but you should definitely be proficient with the AK and M4 as well because:
1) The scoped rifles are still less popular, so you'll be picking up AKs and M4s all the time
2) I bet the SG and AUG will get a nerf or a price increase again

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
You don't really need to learn Mac-10 or MP9, just run around like crazy with m1 down. UMP is imo the most flexible SMG gun and obviously it's on both sides, so learn that instead because using it well is a bit tricky. Forget learning the galil anymore, it was important in previous iterations of the game, but with the way the money system works now, you're probably buying a galil less than once a game on average.

Play around with CZ and Deagle see if you can make them work. M4/AK are the core, guess you can have a go at AUG/SG also nowadays. Famas is trash bucket but you might end up buying it semi-frequently due to how permanently cash hosed CT side gets.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
i got my rank back and i'm a nova 2 now

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

i got my rank back and i'm a nova 2 now

I'm jealous, I'd love a nova or lower

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
just stop playing, lose your rank, then lose the next 6 games and tie the 7th. dropped from mge, but the games are basically the same with worse teammates due to smurfs and cheaters.

Its a shame how bad mm has gotten, the combo of skill based (hard to play casually) + time commitment + unsure quality has gotten me to basically not play anymore which sucks.

I wish cs had a team mode like control point with respawns or something as a casual mode tbh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I think having a neutral hostage would be a good idea. Timed respawns if any.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I treat the Galil as a mini M4A4 and it works out so if you learn the M4A4 like you probably have to then you're good. The SG is def worth picking up if only because it makes people mad that you are spending an extra $50 to piss them off each time you get a kill with it.

I tried picking up the hostage in Battle Royale and then dropping him and jumping on him to boost myself up a bit, it hasn't yet proven terribly useful but there are some places I can peek up above a fence or something. I also thought of using one to bodyblock off areas if you're camping but never got that to work either.

Saw a video of a duo killing the last enemy by slapping three explosives on one of them and then having him charge around the corner to be a human bomb. I really have to remember that the remote charges exist because I think they're some of the most fun you can have in the mode.

Oh poo poo can you stick a breach charge on a hostage?? e: you can

nftyw fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 10, 2018

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
4-11 first half, 6 straight map points, down to 1 round. CPL Winter Finals 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P20KdQK7ZaU

ALSO this fake flash from flash. got'em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19P3-llEhKo

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Virtus.Pro bombs out of Minor Qualifier (lol) against complete unknowns. Organisation has now fired VP, thus completing the two year spiral of shame and depressing failure. VP announces they will be looking to make a new lineup with younger players rather than the old core. TaZ still has a chance to qualify with Kinguin, incidentally by getting past Vitality who put VP in the LB in the first place.

Should have happened a long time ago, but it's still an end of an era kind of. Lot of talented players in Poland, fully expect that there can be a very competitive team to be made out of the best players from the various Tier 2 Polish teams.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

feelix posted:

SG and AUG definitely have a hidden "tilt the opposing team" stat. I think in a vacuum they are basically straight upgrades and definitely worth the extra $50, but you should definitely be proficient with the AK and M4 as well because:
1) The scoped rifles are still less popular, so you'll be picking up AKs and M4s all the time
2) I bet the SG and AUG will get a nerf or a price increase again
I haven't played much in years probably but I remember the AUG having a single hit on helmets unlike the M4 I thiink, but it's spray pattern kinda sucks if you whiff your shot. I could be full of poo poo though.
SG is just mint though. Loved that thing.

Got back in for Danger Zone and because a mate told me not to because it's trash. It's surprisingly fun, which is weird because I've never felt any joy playing a round of CS before. Throwing remote charges on people and getting them to stick is hilarious.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
AUG has precisely 100 damage to a helmet so it's only OHKO at point blank range

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
ZywOo... god drat.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

While that's more of a colossal whiff from Kinguin, ZywOo is looking like the new s1mple for sure. I mean, I guess that was obvious from how he rolled face constantly in FPL but I guess you never know in proper pro level games.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My first game of competitive since the game came out. Why didn't anyone tell me everyone is so nice and encouraging?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Jeza posted:

While that's more of a colossal whiff from Kinguin, ZywOo is looking like the new s1mple for sure. I mean, I guess that was obvious from how he rolled face constantly in FPL but I guess you never know in proper pro level games.

It's more about his composure than anything else in that situation. Sitting at a drop of hp surrounded by two good players and able to pull off the win is a huge plus in the mental game he has.

Gunder posted:

My first game of competitive since the game came out. Why didn't anyone tell me everyone is so nice and encouraging?

aaaaaaaaaaaand this is why I have a voice_enable 0/1 bind.

edit: lmao okay I actually listened to it with my headphones on and they're saying your name, not a racial epithet that it sounded like while they were sitting on top of my speakers. Still, that's a hard voice_enable 0 situation right there for me.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 14, 2018

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Gunder posted:

lmao. this is why i play.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've been attempting to learn how to properly play CS again, and so far, I've been queueing exclusively for Dust 2. I figure I should learn this map first. Is this a bad idea? Should I just queue for every available map instead?

I have found that concentrating on one map at a time does help me learn callouts and the names of things. I even remembered, and used "ONE XBOX" yesterday, and got a kill from it!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
there's worse to learn than from d2, but also, there's better. IMHO its good to rotate maps often, so that you don't get put off later. Better to be bad at every map while you're still cold than being decent at 2 maps and getting owned in other maps and thinking the problem is in the maps (even though some of the more out there maps are kind of bullshit)

if you really want to focus on a few maps, Mirage, D2 and Cache basically share the same design principles. If you want something a bit different, Inferno and Overpass.

Train has a LOT of angles to worry about, and if you're still not handy with callouts, you'll have a hell of a time trying to call out the trains in B site, and most of A site.

Cobble is a bit confusing at first, but it's not a bad map at all. Don't get scared off of trying it here and there. I can't stand it for long periods of time though.

Nuke is and has always been garbage. Play it if you want to be miserable.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Pick and learn a couple of smokes from https://sothatwemaybefree.com/map/de_mirage

and start queuing mirage, the best map in the any game

Go with something useful like ct smoke or jungle on A and maybe a window or short smoke for mid and you'll already be doing a whole lot to help your team

If you want to get cheeky and get free kills, check out the one-way smokes for mid and apps, I promise they work

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

mirage, the best map in the any game

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just landed my first clutch ace. Felt great cause it was last round, we win 16-14 and it shut this toxic dude up who thiught he was KennyS or something.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Played my first game of comp, and CS in general, in like 6 months; carry team to victory and get accused of hacking by 2 people on the other team, stay salty CS players. Also, you might ask, what rank did I get placed in? GN3, not surprised about the hackusations after that.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The only way to play this game is with cl_mute_enemy_team set to 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Audax posted:

The only way to play this game is with cl_mute_enemy_team set to 1.

Why? Then I can't bathe in the tears of my enemies.