Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I already posted that :colbert:

PS: That movie is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I'm not entirely sure if this is the best place, but I suppose design questions aren't entirely off-topic. Does anyone know the title font used for the movie 1408?

Example:

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
It's REQUIEM display, by Hoeffler Frere-Jones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not a poster per se, but

Come the gently caress on. Look at that loving tagline.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh wow, they even made it on fire.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not a poster per se, but

Good, get the kids watching a real movie

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That reminds me of Near Dark getting a Twilight-esque cover for the Blu-Ray release. Fun times all around.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Waffleman_ posted:

Here in Finland we have the almost same thing.

The one we have just straight up says "MUCH BETTER THAN THE HUNGER GAMES".

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 17, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Another poster I'd buy if I could find:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Franz von Dada posted:

Here in Finland we have the almost same thing.

The one we have just straight up says "MUCH BETTER THAN THE HUNGER GAMES".

I loving HATE it when they do that and more often than not, I refuse to watch any movie that is promoted in that way. Convince me to watch your stupid movie on its own merits, instead of denigrating a more famous, well-regarded one, you wankers. gently caress off.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Is that a common thing in some countries? I don't think I've ever seen a poster or box straight up like YO THIS OTHER MOVIE SUCKS WATCH THIS ONE INSTEAD save for really stupid parodies but that doesn't really count.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Yodzilla posted:

Is that a common thing in some countries? I don't think I've ever seen a poster or box straight up like YO THIS OTHER MOVIE SUCKS WATCH THIS ONE INSTEAD save for really stupid parodies but that doesn't really count.

It's the first time I've ever seen something like that. Really got a laugh out of me too.

:geno: "What's this?"

:smug: "Oh, it's Battle Royale. It's the thing The Hunger Games totally ripped off, but MUCH BETTER."

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 17, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yodzilla posted:

If Jonathan Ross says your film is much better than Titanic you're gonna put that poo poo on the poster.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah, it happens. The Region 4 DVD for Taegukgi had "Saving Private Ryan was a minor scuffle in comparison" or some such nonsense written on it, while The Other Conquest has "By comparison, 'Apocalypto' was just a rumble in the jungle" on the DVD cover.

Also, this:

At least the Battle Royale one up there is basically saying "If you liked 'MOVIE,' then this one with superficial similarities may be up your alley." I mean, it's not difficult to mention another movie to promote yours without denigrating it, or using a comparative quote that denigrates another movie. Doing that, in my opinion, just makes you look like a massive shithead.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 17, 2014

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

BATTLE ALE :v:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, it happens. The Region 4 DVD for [bTaegukgi[/b] had "Saving Private Ryan was a minor scuffle in comparison" or some such nonsense written on it, while The Other Conquest has "By comparison, 'Apocalypto' was just a rumble in the jungle" on the DVD cover.

Also, this:

At least the Battle Royale one up there is basically saying "If you liked 'MOVIE,' then this one with superficial similarities may be up your alley." I mean, it's not difficult to mention another movie to promote yours without denigrating it, or using a comparative quote that denigrates another movie. Doing that, in my opinion, just makes you look like a massive shithead.

At least the Matrix came out before Equilibrium, so it sorta makes sense that they'd compare their movie to it. Battle Royale is trying to sell itself by comparing it to a movie that came out 12 years later.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

I loving HATE it when they do that and more often than not, I refuse to watch any movie that is promoted in that way. Convince me to watch your stupid movie on its own merits, instead of denigrating a more famous, well-regarded one, you wankers. gently caress off.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ha ha! What dicks.

I remember the Machinist poster having a quote comparing it to Fight Club making it rather spoilery. Yes I am putting a spoiler tag there in case someone hasn't seen the machinist and doesn't want the twist ruined by a stupid loving poster tagline

edit: Here's the poster too

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Sometimes jamming in that "From the director of" doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles got the same jolly Peter Jackson treatment. Going to go out on a limb here, but the target market for LOTR and Jacksons early movies doesn't really intersect much.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

That reminds me of Near Dark getting a Twilight-esque cover for the Blu-Ray release. Fun times all around.

That was my favorite movie when I was a kid. That's loving stupid but hopefully it got more people to watch it so I have some people to talk to about the amazing poo poo-kicker bar scene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That can't be real.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

That can't be real.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

I mean, it was and you really need to know that to understand the movie. So I don't see a problem with this poster, besides being very ugly.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I think I read it wrong. Is this the cover of the Odyssey?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ThatPazuzu posted:

:madmax:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThatPazuzu posted:

Yep. Saw it in a bookstore once.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't think anyone ever said "oh yeah this game where a giant cleopatra shits out babies from her nipples was awesome, I should read the book" but gotta give them points for at least trying.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

What if the movie you're denigrating ripped off your movie and is lovely?

I mean hypothetically.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People that act mad because "Hunger Games is a ripoff of Battle Royale" always strike more as people that are trying really hard to be angry at the popular thing rather than people that have a point that should be listened to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Did the Buffy movie ever get a Mondo poster? I'm just trying to imagine how much neon pink they'd use.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

schwenz posted:

It's REQUIEM display, by Hoeffler Frere-Jones.

This forum owns. Thank you.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

mr. mephistopheles posted:

What if the movie you're denigrating ripped off your movie and is lovely?
Remember to use the aesthetic's from the film that supposedly ripped you off too. That certainly won't make you look petty at all.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Man, it's pretty remarkable how far this comes from capturing the tone of the movie. This is the movie that has Paul (Pee-Wee Herman) Reubens in what's arguably the longest death scene put to film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

Man, it's pretty remarkable how far this comes from capturing the tone of the movie. This is the movie that has Paul (Pee-Wee Herman) Reubens in what's arguably the longest death scene put to film.

The old poster and DVD cover wasn't great, but at least it was closer to the actual film:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

The old poster and DVD cover wasn't great, but at least it was closer to the actual film:

I'm surprised they didn't capitalize on this considering how much '80s/'90s nostalgia is making a comeback. The old poster would fit right in.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Either that or the person who made the movie blu-ray cover just said "Oh, I've only seen the TV series."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I'm sure there's a directive down from the top of every studio to twilight-ise the cover of every property that can be.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I can't find a picture of it right now but if I remember correctly, shortly after The Last Samurai was released, they also put out a new box for the Shogun miniseries subtitled "The first Samurai". Though I found that one to be kind of funny in its own right.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ghostpilot posted:

To be fair they still have smiles on their faces. They didn't try to get dramatic photos or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
New blu ray Artwork for Lake Placid is decent enough

But I always found the poster quite creepy.