Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Welcome to the Hell that is other players.

I guess it's something I never noticed since I leveled as a DPS, or at least it's mitigated heavily by being a DPS. On the upside I finally hit 70 on my Warrior and went to knock out the job quests, not expecting much but was anticipating it to be pretty alright like the ARR and HW quests were

:same: Curious Gorge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bolow posted:

I had a Bard and Dragoon that both refused to AOE, with the DRG not once the entire dungeon using Blood of the Dragon and did nothing but spam True Thrust combos :psyduck:
It's absurdly common for new/inexperienced physical DPS players to think their AOEs are pointless or underpowered. They're basically designed so that you'll run out of TP quickly while AOEing, but this is fine since if the other DPS (and tank and probably healer) are doing their AOE as well then stuff dies and it's not an issue. But if they slack then you run out of TP, the enemies are half dead, and you awkwardly run on fumes while you slog through your primary combo. So what seems to happen is you wind up with a physical DPS who did queues with people who didn't AOE well, so they learn to not bother in order to save their TP, so the sprouts they wind up teaming with get an unsatisfying AOE experience, and...

I'm not really sure how to solve it without making physical AOE be as sustainable as magic DPS AOE, but that would require a revamp of potencies and all that at the very least.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Bolow posted:

I guess it's something I never noticed since I leveled as a DPS, or at least it's mitigated heavily by being a DPS.

Absolutely.

Me as SMN: Hey, good run everyone, sure the other DPS is doing half my damage and the healer doesn't know what AOE heals are but whatever! That's fine, no big deal.

Me as SCH: god damnit use your cooldowns for once you stupid DRK christ have you people ever heard of AOE where's the drat Aetherflow and -angry giraffe noises-

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Asimo posted:

It's absurdly common for new/inexperienced physical DPS players to think their AOEs are pointless or underpowered. They're basically designed so that you'll run out of TP quickly while AOEing, but this is fine since if the other DPS (and tank and probably healer) are doing their AOE as well then stuff dies and it's not an issue. But if they slack then you run out of TP, the enemies are half dead, and you awkwardly run on fumes while you slog through your primary combo. So what seems to happen is you wind up with a physical DPS who did queues with people who didn't AOE well, so they learn to not bother in order to save their TP, so the sprouts they wind up teaming with get an unsatisfying AOE experience, and...

I'm not really sure how to solve it without making physical AOE be as sustainable as magic DPS AOE, but that would require a revamp of potencies and all that at the very least.

Why not just reduce the TP cost of aoe skills to make them on par with single targets? The lower potency is already a disincentive to using them in small group fights, I don't know why there needs to be another one.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Asimo posted:

my solution is to pair the physical DPS with a black mage then show them how to alt-tab

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Absolutely.

Me as SMN: Hey, good run everyone, sure the other DPS is doing half my damage and the healer doesn't know what AOE heals are but whatever! That's fine, no big deal.

Me as SCH: god damnit use your cooldowns for once you stupid DRK christ have you people ever heard of AOE where's the drat Aetherflow and -angry giraffe noises-
SMN makes it even better, since as long as only one of the tank and healer messes up you can raise them and everyone can just pretend it didn't happen.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I haven't raved about flare in this thread for like a week I gotta hit my quota

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Absolutely.

I leveled 1-61 as pretty much a BLM. I loved dungeons, all I had to do was melt poo poo and I had raging strikes back then so yeah.

Then I give healing a shot and suddenly I become very aware of what cooldowns/abilities the tanks and dps are certainly NOT using. Why do people not use cooldowns :negative:

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 18, 2017

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Late to the party but I'm here to say it's SCH > WHM > AST really if you actually care. While WHM does do a bit more damage in 4-mans, SCH's AoE DPS actually lets you weave in oGCD abilities, which you can also use to heal the tank. Not that you have to heal the tank much, between Fey Union and Excog (which is surely due for another buff, right?). WHM is a bit more finicky between the lilies still being stupid (I won't change my opinion on this until rocks grant lilies) and having to actually probably use some GCDs to heal, but it definitely does amazing damage. In raids or single target situations, they both do great damage with SCH edging out a bit generally speaking due to play style, but SCH also brings Chain Strat. So really, if you like either SCH or WHM, they're pretty solid and you should go for it. If you like AST, you're either in love with the aesthetic or misunderstand the fact that they're really only strong in the situation in which your entire 8-man (and it must be 8-man) is aggressive about doing DPS, and is good at doing DPS. This means you also have to have the fight mapped out well enough that you know how to optimise stars. In every other situation, AST is just a weak WHM, just like it was mid/early HW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

I haven't raved about flare in this thread for like a week I gotta hit my quota

Foul-Flare-Flare-Flare-Flare-Flare-Foul is the best feeling in the game.

I don't give a poo poo if it ain't mechanically optimal.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ast is definitely only best in 8-mans, but earthly star is the single most colossally stupid button any healer has and it's not even close

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

The crazy thing is that cure 2 and regen should be enough :psyduck:

you can largesse a regen and medica 2 and not heal for like the first 30 seconds of a boss fight but if you're spamming cure 2 on cooldown you will run oom v fast

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Speaking of cooldowns, as a Warrior should I be using Inner Beast on trash pulls or just chaining my defensive cd's as needed? Right now I have a bad habit of seeing my beast gauge strictly as the amount of Fell Cleaves I can belt out and not as a survival tool, and I'm generally too busy spamming overpower to actually build gauge outside of using Infuriate so I can crack off a Decimate or Cyclone.

Also Raw Intuition is real liberal with what constitutes a "flank"

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

jalapeno_dude posted:

SMN makes it even better, since as long as only one of the tank and healer messes up you can raise them and everyone can just pretend it didn't happen.

SMN and RDM get the best out of PoTD. When I was bringing my SMN/SCH up to 50 I discovered that runs took about half the time as a SMN because I could take care of all of the DPS.

Running my WHM and AST through there was frequent misery.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
perhaps stormblood healer balance is...good

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I dropped RDM hard when I got BLM to 70 specifically for that reason; Flare is my favorite button to press in the game and enabling me to drop five of them in a row obnoxiously quickly, sandwiched between the ever-satisfying ping sound from Foul is the only thing I care about doing in this game anymore.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

Why not just reduce the TP cost of aoe skills to make them on par with single targets? The lower potency is already a disincentive to using them in small group fights, I don't know why there needs to be another one.

They've already been reduced more than once.

And honestly I think a lot of the people who we rail against for being bad at dps never even read any of the skill descriptions so adjusting numbers is unlikely to change behavior. The best we can really do is to ask them nicely to push buttons (or demonstrate if you are the other dps) and if they are receptive you can improve the player base one person at a time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thundarr posted:

They've already been reduced more than once.

And honestly I think a lot of the people who we rail against for being bad at dps never even read any of the skill descriptions so adjusting numbers is unlikely to change behavior. The best we can really do is to ask them nicely to push buttons (or demonstrate if you are the other dps) and if they are receptive you can improve the player base one person at a time.

Well they should reduce them again. It's odd and dumb that casters can spam aoe without worrying about resources but physicals can't. At least sprint doesn't burn TP anymore...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I dropped RDM hard when I got BLM to 70 specifically for that reason; Flare is my favorite button to press in the game and enabling me to drop five of them in a row obnoxiously quickly, sandwiched between the ever-satisfying ping sound from Foul is the only thing I care about doing in this game anymore.

Yeah, I loved RDM until I played BLM and now BLM is my dungeon run of choice.

Best feelings in the game in order:

That
Thin Air -> Holy Spam
That feeling when DPSes actually use limit breaks properly instead of saving it for anime finish.
The rainbow floor in Canals.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ImpAtom posted:

Technically it is optimal if everything is dead when you're done.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I remember doing kugane castle as BLM and the ninja boss spawned adds. The RDM cast lb to try and hit them all, but they were all dead before it landed. I never laughed so much playing blm before.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Absolutely.

I think part of the reason I love playing SCH so much is because there's a real, genuine feeling that you're dragging your terrible team over the finish line half the time. My most memorable run in HW was an A2N where I somehow managed to out-DPS everyone (in a group with two BLMs and a SMN!) and was only a few hundred HPS behind the other healer.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Truga posted:

I remember doing kugane castle as BLM and the ninja boss spawned adds. The RDM cast lb to try and hit them all, but they were all dead before it landed. I never laughed so much playing blm before.

I mean, good on the RDM for trying to LB multiple targets, but that is pretty funny.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Honestly they should just get rid of TP. The only purposes it serves now is as a slight death tax and for limiting sustained AOE. And those only affect physical classes that aren't dark knights.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh? Well that's good to know. Still, I can't help but wonder if knowing the rotations of all of these classes would help me get more commendations while leveling them. I do want that gold Magitek, but I'm only 2/5 of the way there.

The best way to get commends is to play healer, or possibly tank if the culture favors that slightly more on Primal. But probably Healer as nobody gives commends to aggressive tanks, and as long as people are saved from their own bad they'll commend the healer. If you want to farm commends, keep in mind what people will notice with huge blinders on. If they don't know what good DPS looks like, how do they know to commend it?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

The best way to get commends is to play healer, or possibly tank if the culture favors that slightly more on Primal. But probably Healer as nobody gives commends to aggressive tanks, and as long as people are saved from their own bad they'll commend the healer. If you want to farm commends, keep in mind what people will notice with huge blinders on. If they don't know what good DPS looks like, how do they know to commend it?

Make a macro that spams "ARIGATO EVERYONE GOOD RUN DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND SUSCRIBE COMMEND"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vermain posted:

I think part of the reason I love playing SCH so much is because there's a real, genuine feeling that you're dragging your terrible team over the finish line half the time. My most memorable run in HW was an A2N where I somehow managed to out-DPS everyone (in a group with two BLMs and a SMN!) and was only a few hundred HPS behind the other healer.

It's funny because that's how the job quest makes it sound to, as far as I've gotten anyway (35)

I was doing a dungeon the other night, nailing big pull heals and I get a d/c. Come back, heal the other half of the dungeon and the final boss before realising I never summoned So a back after I d/c'd. I felt so dumb but drat, the faerie really is extra gravy

I was proud too because I've nailed optimum aethorflow to bane timing

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Had some really bad experiences with pubs last night. The LL Stone Vigil that gave me a tank that wanted to make things dramatic by walking into each pull and then sat in every single aoe without even trying to dodge, the Exdeath run in which I learned he will actually do the tentacle version of decisive battle multiple times if the dps is bad enough, plus a blm who managed to miss with the lb3.

There was also a Rabanastre run with some buddies that was pretty miserable but mostly because one of our healers spent most of run hard casting ascend on the other constantly dead healer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The time has come to earn some money as Miner. :dance:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The time has come to earn some money as Miner. :dance:

Every time I log on I say I'm going to finally put some effort into.leveling crafting. Then I remember healer queues are instant and well...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Every time I log on I say I'm going to finally put some effort into.leveling crafting. Then I remember healer queues are instant and well...

Leves and GC turn-ins are a pretty effective way to level crafters even while being super lazy, as long as you don't need to be 70 on all of them *right now*. Having two sets of custom deliveries to get xp from is a healthy bonus too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Right now, I'm gathering crystals since I've started Moogle quests. It'll be good to have a way to farm those (retainer ventures) so I can keep my inventory high for those quests.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mango Polo posted:

Make a macro that spams "ARIGATO EVERYONE GOOD RUN DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND SUSCRIBE COMMEND"

So far when I finish a dungeon everyone zones so quickly there's no time to give a commendation.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

draw distance means that our kissing moai have disappeared. bullshit

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I turned in potd potions to level alc, and then made several millions of gil this week selling planters/bushes/trees/orchestrion rolls to new home owners cause those were all alc. A good week.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Chat and say hello to people. Just leveling my WHM and chatting in Dungeons I ended up with 300 commendations after 3 months.

I noticed people don't like tanks who are chatty. On my PLD I get far fewer commendations (except from sprouts who I spend time teaching mechanics to).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A chatty tank is a tank who isn't moving forward and clearing the dungeon gogogo

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

What the hell is up with the aggro radius on Bard? I'm doing fates and without even changing targets I just seem to attract all kinds of poo poo from everywhere. This wasn't an issue on my Dragoon or Warrior so I'm kind of confused

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

A chatty tank is a tank who isn't moving forward and clearing the dungeon gogogo

Pretty much. It's why I prefer running with sprouts. Most of them are there having fun and enjoy the talk. For others, I just chain-pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bolow posted:

What the hell is up with the aggro radius on Bard? I'm doing fates and without even changing targets I just seem to attract all kinds of poo poo from everywhere. This wasn't an issue on my Dragoon or Warrior so I'm kind of confused

Foe Requiem?