Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

lol someone took their measles infected kid to a disney on ice show in Dayton apparently, glad I got a booster since it gonna start circulating more often due to the complete collapse of public health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Drake no: immunity debt from lockdowns
Drake yes: immunity debt from measles

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
hell yeah, tested positive yesterday - welcome back old friend

thank god for my stupidly expensive insurance for making paxlovid a reasonable cost

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Webbeh posted:

thank god for my stupidly expensive insurance for making paxlovid a reasonable cost
I'm glad you're staying positive through all this. get well soon :)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NeonPunk posted:

Seem to me trying to sweep half of the population becoming disabled with long Covid under the carpet in scant few years is impossible, but I'm excited to see how and what mental loops they'll come up with!

Why Doesn't Anyone Want To Work Anymore

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Webbeh posted:

good luck goon :( post if you need info

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

lol someone took their measles infected kid to a disney on ice show in Dayton apparently, glad I got a booster since it gonna start circulating more often due to the complete collapse of public health.

You Do You

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Webbeh posted:

do you feel comfortable with sharing roughly how much you pay for insurance every month and the price you paid for Paxlovid out of pocket?

I don't think we've found a baseline for the new gently caress The People pricing yet

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
recovery study offered me an mri so i may find out if i have brain damage in a few weeks.

also hi, i've been very out of the loop for a month bc of work crush; did i miss anything i need to know / update treatingcovid.info with / etc.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

vaxmaxxed & paxpilled

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Petey posted:

recovery study offered me an mri so i may find out if i have brain damage in a few weeks.

also hi, i've been very out of the loop for a month bc of work crush; did i miss anything i need to know / update treatingcovid.info with / etc.
no more isolation period as per the CDC. The lockdowns have finally ended!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mola Yam posted:

2024 so far really feels like a real push to finally close the door on all of this

-free tests disappearing
-pax getting put on the high shelf
-glad you had fun wfh but playtime is over
-case/hospitalisation reporting shutting down altogether, after two years of winding back
-further pathologizing masking/any precautions
-long covid = anxious malingerers
-fullcourt press on the "it's so incredibly over" messaging

yup, walls closing in

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
We’ve all been in the trash compactor of return to normal for years

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zugzwang posted:

no more isolation period as per the CDC. The lockdowns have finally ended!!

I got a work email about an important COVID update and it just said that CDC guidelines have changed so they're not recommending isolating for 5 days anymore. But make sure to wash your hands so you don't catch measles/mpox/norovirus.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Mar 16, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001
It's insane that absolutely no one reads past the headline to see at least it still says isolate while you have symptoms.

Just every company "CDC says covid just a cold get back in here"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mola Yam posted:

2024 so far really feels like a real push to finally close the door on all of this

-free tests disappearing
-pax getting put on the high shelf
-glad you had fun wfh but playtime is over
-case/hospitalisation reporting shutting down altogether, after two years of winding back
-further pathologizing masking/any precautions
-long covid = anxious malingerers
-fullcourt press on the "it's so incredibly over" messaging

I'm actually seeing a lot more people wearing masks these last few months than I was in 2023.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

I'm actually seeing a lot more people wearing masks these last few months than I was in 2023.

yep I'm seeing more people than usual masking outside

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
seems like around Los Angeles there’s always been a background hum of 10% masking for the past year, slightly higher during the holidays

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The hospital that I was at earlier this week in Seattle had a mask mandate that was mostly being followed (with actual surgical ones but still something). Hoping I didn’t get got in the brief period that they needed to take off my aura and put one of those on me for oxygen tubes. The only other time I’ve been sick since early 2020 was the last time I needed to be unmasked in one of their buildings.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
status update: moth juiced. totally different body load than the clot shots, feeling mellow and mild as opposed to the heavy sensation I am used to.

did get to listen to the pharmacists try to decide if the dose was expired or not, and eventually relying on “Googling the cdc” to tell them it wasn’t. lol great system.

overall a++ will novavax again

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

status update: moth juiced. totally different body load than the clot shots, feeling mellow and mild as opposed to the heavy sensation I am used to.

did get to listen to the pharmacists try to decide if the dose was expired or not, and eventually relying on “Googling the cdc” to tell them it wasn’t. lol great system.

overall a++ will novavax again

the sativa of vax

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Potato Salad posted:

do you feel comfortable with sharing roughly how much you pay for insurance every month and the price you paid for Paxlovid out of pocket?

I don't think we've found a baseline for the new gently caress The People pricing yet

$809.38/month for coverage of the family, $20 copay out of pocket for Paxlovid.

also 3/4 of us (including me) also have strep, so this weekend is a blast

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
picking up roommate from surgery

there’s a sign at the front of the building saying masks required to enter. I see two guys without masks enter

all staff are wearing surgicals and are dicknosing

oh wait a nurse walked by with no mask

roommate is zonked out and needs another half hour to recover. they’re nauseated so they can’t wear a mask

another maskless nurse walked by

this is great

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Shiroc posted:

The hospital that I was at earlier this week in Seattle had a mask mandate that was mostly being followed (with actual surgical ones but still something). Hoping I didn’t get got in the brief period that they needed to take off my aura and put one of those on me for oxygen tubes. The only other time I’ve been sick since early 2020 was the last time I needed to be unmasked in one of their buildings.

I don't know if it's scientific or just vibes, but situations like these are one reason I do like valved masks. If you need to pull down your mask, you can take in a breath before and expel it all out through the vent. It seems like it would work like that anyway.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I don't know if it's scientific or just vibes, but situations like these are one reason I do like valved masks. If you need to pull down your mask, you can take in a breath before and expel it all out through the vent. It seems like it would work like that anyway.

you can do the same with an unvented mask also, it’s air permeable.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

lol none of the visitors and half the staff are wearing masks

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

I still don't think you can purge a respirator like a diving mask. It's not like you're displacing bad air with air from your lungs, more like you're mixing the mask air and lung air together and some amount leaves the mask because of overpressure.

The diving analogy would be if you exhaled green coloured water into your diving mask. You'd just have a mask with fainter-green water in it while a little bit of the mixed water left the mask, right?

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Steve Yun posted:

lol none of the visitors and half the staff are wearing masks

pre:
Thank   you  for   your  understanding    and   cooperation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
i take a bigass breath before taking off/putting on the mask to purge as much as possible

if you take several breaths it feels like it expands your capacity

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

tuyop posted:

I still don't think you can purge a respirator like a diving mask. It's not like you're displacing bad air with air from your lungs, more like you're mixing the mask air and lung air together and some amount leaves the mask because of overpressure.

The diving analogy would be if you exhaled green coloured water into your diving mask. You'd just have a mask with fainter-green water in it while a little bit of the mixed water left the mask, right?

Ideally the filter will catch enough virions on particles and hold onto them as you are expelling quite forcefully in all directions.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun posted:

i take a bigass breath before taking off/putting on the mask to purge as much as possible

Same. Is it imperfect? Yes. Have I made it 4+ years without getting got? Also yes. :shrug:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Oracle posted:

you can do the same with an unvented mask also, it’s air permeable.

Okay that does make sense, I suppose it would be really weird if the mask was only electrostatically charged in one direction.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

DickParasite posted:

Same. Is it imperfect? Yes. Have I made it 4+ years without getting got? Also yes. :shrug:

it'd be really cool and good if we had a functioning public health system. it could acknowledge people will imperfectly mask and research stuff like this and have actual evidence based advice to give around it. alas!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What’s that? People will imperfectly mask? Guess we should give advice to just not mask at all since that’s easier to follow.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
You know how some Queensland researchers in Australia were recently talking about how Long Covid is a bad term, that we shouldn't use anymore a few days ago because it's not a thing apparently?

Well, here's a lengthy March 14th 2024 story about Long Covid from an well known Australia news site on the lovely costs associated with it. I'll quote just a few sections from it, but don't worry, some idiots in Queensland aka Australia's Florida, said it's not real!

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/daniel-has-long-covid-it-has-cost-him-more-than-100-000/j8e18pxji

quote:

Since contracting COVID-19, he has not been able to work at all, and often struggles to leave his Sydney home. Daniel has also been diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS), a condition that causes a racing heart, dizziness and fatigue when standing up. It appears to have a correlation with Long COVID.

"I might have one or two good days where I gaslight myself into thinking that I could go back to work and I'll be looking at a job or whatnot — and then the next day I'll be completely bedridden again," he said...[In February, the federal government responded to the House Standing Committee on Health, Aged Care and Sport Report’s Long COVID Inquiry and supported a series of recommendations.

These included establishing a single COVID-19 database; developing evidence-based guidelines for diagnosis and treatment; longer-term nationally coordinated funding; and a review of the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) and items for treatment of chronic conditions. It noted several other recommendations including educating healthcare providers on diagnosing and treating Long COVID, and funding outreach clinics for rural and regional areas. In April 2023, the government committed an extra $50 million of funding into Long Covid research...

But the Australia Long COVID Community Group, and Long COVID Support Australia, said these services — and the government’s response to the inquiry — fall short of the support needed. “There is zero mention of financial support for Long COVID sufferers who are unable to work and do not qualify for existing supports,” they said in a statement. "This leaves them in a state of vulnerability, struggling to make ends meet while contending with the debilitating effects of Long COVID during a cost-of-living crisis."...

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

ran into this doing some pruning on my media.

thought y'all would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDr2LsNVdI

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

MLK Ultra posted:

ran into this doing some pruning on my media.

thought y'all would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDr2LsNVdI

Holy poo poo thank you for your service.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
For the life of me, I just can't figure out what their long term plan is with all of these loving terrible decisions. Are they hoping that the chickens come home to roost at a slow enough rate for them to maintain plausible deniability over it? Is Biden trying to throw the election so that when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan, it's under a Republican presidency? Are they huffing their own farts to the point where they actually believe this poo poo? All of the above?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

an owls casket posted:

For the life of me, I just can't figure out what their long term plan is with all of these loving terrible decisions. Are they hoping that the chickens come home to roost at a slow enough rate for them to maintain plausible deniability over it? Is Biden trying to throw the election so that when the poo poo inevitably hits the fan, it's under a Republican presidency? Are they huffing their own farts to the point where they actually believe this poo poo? All of the above?

I think it's mostly huffing their own farts, yeah. There's probably some Davos safe rich folks who are cognizant of how bad things are and simply seek to insulate themselves from consequences as much as possible without regard to others, but at least in DC, it really seems like that bubble just smooths out the brains of all the politicians just as much as the media. This isn't to say that I think DC types are simply unaware of the dangers or risks from COVID, but they're so bought into the ideology of post-history that they can't help but think that this'll all blow over on its own.

Edit: Creating the sort of long term plan required to adequately address the COVID crisis, from the raw disease impacts of the pandemic to the broader social failures resulting, is so outside the conceptual thought space of a neo-lib as to be quite literally unfathomable. The problem cannot be that bad, tautologically, just like with climate change. Hell, the last couple of years of actual global conflicts have demonstrated we don't know how to enter a proper wartime footing for an actual war-like crisis, let alone a disease that's invisible and can't be fought with MIC grift.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
They don't think anything's wrong, op.

Anecdotal, but I read a post from a POTS sufferer who gets enormous benefit from wearing a tightly laced corset to mechanically keep her blood in her head. Throw it on the pile of patients figuring poo poo out before the medical establishment.