Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

krustster posted:

Yeeeahhh man... yeahhhhh.. yeeaaahhhh OHHHHHH god man, I got two Sweet Reputes for $16.99 tonight and convinced a random stranger to buy one as well. I thought about buying 3 or 4 but... well, money. And also I wanted some other random strangers to get a chance to try it too.

On first read I thought you had gotten some stranger to mule a third bottle for you, then I reread it and it got weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

On first read I thought you had gotten some stranger to mule a third bottle for you, then I reread it and it got weirder.

I've convinced strangers to buy stuff, too.

But I didn't post YEEEEAHH MANNNNN after.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

crazyfish posted:

Nah some random guy was talking to a guy that works there and said "blah blah Founders" and I whirled around and said "FOUNDERS??" then brandished my two bottles with a "psshhwinggg" sound effect and he said "whoa 12% alcohol! how much is that?" and then when he saw the price tag the deal was sealed, because "It's been a long time since I had a really good beer!" Mission accomplished.

Another time I tried to get a guy I know to buy Backwoods Bastard but indirectly caused him to get Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout instead.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
To add to the weirdness one of my roommates was shitfaced when I got home and was furious that I had bought more beer without drinking it right away. He keeps yelling and trying to give me a guilt trip for "only drinking when nobody else is" and now there's some kind of impromptu drunken MMA sparring session going on in the living room.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I'm trying to plan my Philly trip in a few weeks. I'm going to Monks and Tired Hands for sure. Is any other place a must?

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Dock Street Brewing has some decent pizzas, and some good beers.

Nodding Head Brewery, I would say, is a must, just cause it's weird. It's hit/miss if the beer on tap that day is actually any good though :-)

Food has always been good the 3 times I've been though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Do we have any Indianapolis goons who would be willing to pick up my bottle of Upland Sour Reserve #4 next week?

I can throw some cash your way for the trouble or send you a box full of local beers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My parents have a house and family in Pennsylvania and due to work this is the first year I won't be spending Christmas with them. So we had Christmas early and exchanged gifts and this is what my mom got me:

She learns fast and basically jumped into a line she saw at a TW.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hah hah I have never been to Nodding Head during my yearly trips to Philly mainly cos none of my friends go and their ads / logo are, indeed, weird. This even though they're walking distance from Monk's. I'll make a point of visiting next time.

In terms of cool bars in the general area I'd recommend Eulogy too, which is down in Old City (a very pleasant and historically-laden walk from Monk's). Remarkably I see the Farmers Cabinet (which would be on the way) is still open; they are awesome for atmosphere but their glory days are far behind them beerwise and they're just OK in that respect (and expensive). Also if you're going to be train'ing it to Tired Hands, stop off at Wayne and visit Teresa's Next Door, which also has a surprisingly awesome tapwall full of crazy Belgian junk nearly all the time.

Anyway I just got back from Local Option with noted something awful forums poster crazyfish (who looks nothing like his avatar :mad:). Local Option is a regular old neighborhood bar that looks normal enough from the front, but is an awesome beer joint inside. Something around 30 taps, 7 of which are LO's own, and all the taps are really amazing. Had Surly Furious (they distro in Chicago now, who knew), LO's Kentucky common (a style of beer I was unfamiliar with -- it's dark, brewed with corn and has a nice twinge of sourness to it; I think it'd be a big hit in the northwest), and a smoked altbier from a place called "The Monarchy" in Germany. All were quite nice and the atmosphere was awesome; I wish I lived near here.

What struck me talking with crazyfish (and reading this thread) is that Chicago's beer scene is...intense? It really seems full of events where you can get X or Y rare bottle of beer, and people swarm over to it and stand in line all morning for tickets, and people are chasing trucks, and so forth. He was telling me about how Scratch Beer, way down in southern Illinois, gets crazy folks driving all the way down from Chicago whenever they announce they have bottles available. This sort of thing... I'm not gonna say that never happens where I'm from (if you want Pliny bottles then you better be following the local beer shops on Facebook to find out where it is), but that's just not what the scene is in OR. When Deschutes puts out a yearly or seasonal, it's available in shops for long afterward locally. Boneyard makes Notorious and Hop Venom available for growler purchases...and it lasts a while because it's the same regular customer base getting it anyway. The Ale Apothecary is beginning to get some national street cred, but their four basic beers are available everywhere in Bend (and Portland to some extent). If rare beer shows up, it's appreciated, but there isn't that sort of incredible demand such that they really have to organize events involving tickets and so on. crazyfish was talking about how there're so many breweries in Chicago now that some must fail eventually; however, it seems to me that the audience of hardcore beer fans in northern Illinois is so large that if anything the market is still very undersupplied in some ways. It's just interesting to me, it seems like it's not like that at all even in WI or MI.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
The best Christmas & the best mom!

I ended up scoring a 4-pack of Barleywine and a single 22oz of Backyard Rye tonight. Seems like Coffee is supposed to hit later this week or next, and nobody I talked to knew a thing about Proprietors.

I really, really want to try Crime & Punishment, though. Apparently it was out in Charlotte like 2 or 3 weeks ago, but not heard a whisper about it up here.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Crime, Punishment, and Southern Charred are all abundantly available around here if anyone's hellbent on trying them and wants to trade.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

crazyfish was talking about how there're so many breweries in Chicago now that some must fail eventually; however, it seems to me that the audience of hardcore beer fans in northern Illinois is so large that if anything the market is still very undersupplied in some ways. It's just interesting to me, it seems like it's not like that at all even in WI or MI.

The same type of phenomenon is happening in Texas with regards to intensity. Places have been rapidly selling out of Abyss, Bomb, BCBS, and now recently the Stone Southern Charred/Crime/Punishment beers. I feel like the audience for craft beer dramatically increased this year, but I don't have any numbers to prove that assertion. Just seems like I have to exert a lot more effort to get limited release stuff.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Retemnav posted:

I really, really want to try Crime & Punishment

Oh god from what I've heard I have literally 0 interest in spending 0.01$ on those beers. I might try it if someone handed me a taster, but even then I'm not sure.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Anyway I just got back from Local Option with noted something awful forums poster crazyfish [..]

What struck me talking with crazyfish (and reading this thread) is that Chicago's beer scene is...intense? It really seems full of events where you can get X or Y rare bottle of beer, and people swarm over to it and stand in line all morning for tickets, and people are chasing trucks, and so forth [..]

Glad you liked it! Sorry I couldn't make it out even though I am a nothing in this thread ;)
That said, he is right about Chicago's scene. It is the thing that makes me not really fit in because I am too lackadaisical about it. Most of my rare stuff or tickets come solely from connections. Anyway, it'll be a really interesting couple of years to see how it shakes out and what type of up'n comers make it through. Did you guys talk about Begyle and their community brewing or whatever?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hah hah I have never been to Nodding Head during my yearly trips to Philly mainly cos none of my friends go and their ads / logo are, indeed, weird. This even though they're walking distance from Monk's. I'll make a point of visiting next time.

In terms of cool bars in the general area I'd recommend Eulogy too, which is down in Old City (a very pleasant and historically-laden walk from Monk's). Remarkably I see the Farmers Cabinet (which would be on the way) is still open; they are awesome for atmosphere but their glory days are far behind them beerwise and they're just OK in that respect (and expensive). Also if you're going to be train'ing it to Tired Hands, stop off at Wayne and visit Teresa's Next Door, which also has a surprisingly awesome tapwall full of crazy Belgian junk nearly all the time.

There is a bunch of good stuff near Monk's... Check out Perch Pub, Good Dog, and Jose Pistolas which are all a very short walk from Monk's.

If you walk from Monk's to Eulogy I'd suggest stopping at Bru on Chestnut which is relatively new and quite good. Also Strangelove's isn't too far off that path.

When you get to Eulogy the Khyber is across the street and was completely redone last year and is now worth a stop. Also in the area are Bierstube and the Irish Pol.

But the absolute best thing to do is to hit up phillytapfinder.com and figure out what's on tap where. The Center City/Old City route might not even be the best if there's good stuff going on in Northern Liberties/Fishtown or South Philly.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

LO's Kentucky common (a style of beer I was unfamiliar with -- it's dark, brewed with corn and has a nice twinge of sourness to it; I think it'd be a big hit in the northwest)

If you ever see BA Kentucky Common you owe it to yourself to go wherever it is and drink it. It is one of my favorite beers and we're quite lucky to get kegs of it on occasion here in Philly.

Retemnav posted:

I ended up scoring a 4-pack of Barleywine and a single 22oz of Backyard Rye tonight. Seems like Coffee is supposed to hit later this week or next, and nobody I talked to knew a thing about Proprietors.

Proprietors is Chicago only.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I feel a little bad somehow that Abyss is a hot sought after release in TX because I'm definitely a member of the "wait at least a year before drinking Abyss" crew.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

air- posted:

e: NC goons, I have a friend in Raleigh who I will dispatch to go beer shopping. Where should I send him? What's been good on shelves lately over there? Looks like Event Horizon and Silent Night both just got released.
In addition to Tasty and Bottle Rev there's also Peace Street Market (which I don't really pay attention to because I'm not sure if they have a Twitter/Facebook presence) and the newest shop, Paddy O'Beers on the corner of Morgan and Fayetteville downtown; pretty much 90% of Tasty's staff split to open their own shop and it's pretty sweet. They're tiny compared to Tasty (about 1/3 the space), but since they know most of the distributors they've been able to land decent stuff. I was in tonight and I think Event Horizon just showed up yesterday, they still have 2 cases left. They also got Bourbon County Barleywine in today and I snagged a 4-pack of that since they were willing to sell it in packs as well as singles. Paddy's hasn't got Coffee yet (Tasty's allotment came and went already) so I'll be paying attention to their Twitter and hopefully I won't be working if/when it comes out...worst case scenario maybe someone will want to trade a Barleywine for a Coffee.

Aside from EV and BC Barleywine if they still have it, I'd recommend your friend to grab a Fullsteam IGOR. Delicious bourbon-barrel stout, I think it's $11 or $12 for a bomber. Also some Big Boss Aces & Ates coffee stout, that poo poo is delicious.

The Saucer also randomly had a keg of Mango Magnifico on tonight, so I pulled the trigger on a glass of that. Tasted like sweet delicious tropical candy with just the right amount of chile burn on the finish. After finishing the glass I'm not sure if I could have finished an entire bomber had I landed one, but I'm really glad I got to at least try it. This past week has been ridiculous as far as beer spending for me, but gently caress it, it's Christmas time :toot:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Anyway I just got back from Local Option with noted something awful forums poster crazyfish (who looks nothing like his avatar :mad:). Local Option is a regular old neighborhood bar that looks normal enough from the front, but is an awesome beer joint inside. Something around 30 taps, 7 of which are LO's own, and all the taps are really amazing. Had Surly Furious (they distro in Chicago now, who knew), LO's Kentucky common (a style of beer I was unfamiliar with -- it's dark, brewed with corn and has a nice twinge of sourness to it; I think it'd be a big hit in the northwest), and a smoked altbier from a place called "The Monarchy" in Germany. All were quite nice and the atmosphere was awesome; I wish I lived near here.

What struck me talking with crazyfish (and reading this thread) is that Chicago's beer scene is...intense? It really seems full of events where you can get X or Y rare bottle of beer, and people swarm over to it and stand in line all morning for tickets, and people are chasing trucks, and so forth. He was telling me about how Scratch Beer, way down in southern Illinois, gets crazy folks driving all the way down from Chicago whenever they announce they have bottles available. This sort of thing... I'm not gonna say that never happens where I'm from (if you want Pliny bottles then you better be following the local beer shops on Facebook to find out where it is), but that's just not what the scene is in OR. When Deschutes puts out a yearly or seasonal, it's available in shops for long afterward locally. Boneyard makes Notorious and Hop Venom available for growler purchases...and it lasts a while because it's the same regular customer base getting it anyway. The Ale Apothecary is beginning to get some national street cred, but their four basic beers are available everywhere in Bend (and Portland to some extent). If rare beer shows up, it's appreciated, but there isn't that sort of incredible demand such that they really have to organize events involving tickets and so on. crazyfish was talking about how there're so many breweries in Chicago now that some must fail eventually; however, it seems to me that the audience of hardcore beer fans in northern Illinois is so large that if anything the market is still very undersupplied in some ways. It's just interesting to me, it seems like it's not like that at all even in WI or MI.

It wasn't Scratch I was talking about re: bottle chases, I was referring to Side Project :) Scratch is the southern IL brewery that Local Option brought in kegs of and is pretty much unheard of anywhere else.

And yeah, Chicago's beer scene is intense. Age something in a barrel or put Citra hops in it and people go loving apeshit.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 6, 2013

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Proprietors is Chicago only.

Well, that explains that! Hope I can get some Coffee, though I really don't need to spend more money.

Valencia posted:

In addition to Tasty and Bottle Rev there's also Peace Street Market (which I don't really pay attention to because I'm not sure if they have a Twitter/Facebook presence) and the newest shop, Paddy O'Beers on the corner of Morgan and Fayetteville downtown; pretty much 90% of Tasty's staff split to open their own shop and it's pretty sweet. They're tiny compared to Tasty (about 1/3 the space), but since they know most of the distributors they've been able to land decent stuff. I was in tonight and I think Event Horizon just showed up yesterday, they still have 2 cases left. They also got Bourbon County Barleywine in today and I snagged a 4-pack of that since they were willing to sell it in packs as well as singles. Paddy's hasn't got Coffee yet (Tasty's allotment came and went already) so I'll be paying attention to their Twitter and hopefully I won't be working if/when it comes out...worst case scenario maybe someone will want to trade a Barleywine for a Coffee.

Aside from EV and BC Barleywine if they still have it, I'd recommend your friend to grab a Fullsteam IGOR. Delicious bourbon-barrel stout, I think it's $11 or $12 for a bomber. Also some Big Boss Aces & Ates coffee stout, that poo poo is delicious.

The Saucer also randomly had a keg of Mango Magnifico on tonight, so I pulled the trigger on a glass of that. Tasted like sweet delicious tropical candy with just the right amount of chile burn on the finish. After finishing the glass I'm not sure if I could have finished an entire bomber had I landed one, but I'm really glad I got to at least try it. This past week has been ridiculous as far as beer spending for me, but gently caress it, it's Christmas time :toot:

Had not heard of Paddy's, sounds cool. I wasn't overly impressed with IGOR, I thought it was a little thin, but if Aces & Eights is available definitely pick some of that up, very good coffee stout. It hasn't shown up in Winston yet.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Retemnav posted:

I really, really want to try Crime & Punishment,

I'd rather take a microplane grater to my scrotum for a full hour than taste Crime and/or Punishment again. After a half dozen years of tasting everything put before me, including three year old Wiepout IPA, they remain singularly horrible beers. Even on my first EBF, after drinking 20+ ounces of Utopias, I recognized how horrible they were on first sip and immediately threw away my entire glass because a beer of that quality taints the soul of whatever glassware it touches. Repeat tastings while stone cold sober (because I lack good sense) bore out my initial impressions. Do not drink that beer. Intentionally skunk a Stella Artois and alternate sips of that with straight Dave's Insanity Sauce. The result will be both a better beer experience and a better chile experience.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

bartolimu posted:

Even on my first EBF, after drinking 20+ ounces of Utopias,

:eek:

SUPER HASSLER, what's the rest of your trip itinerary like? If you're passing through Ann Arbor, I'll buy you a beer at Jolly Pumpkin.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Retemnav posted:

I really, really want to try Crime & Punishment, though. Apparently it was out in Charlotte like 2 or 3 weeks ago, but not heard a whisper about it up here.

I didn't try Crime, but Punishment is the worst beer I've ever had. bartolimu is right on, I think I'd rather someone who had some hours earlier urinate on me than try it myself again.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 6, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Someone at FOBAB had a beer aged in Tobasco barrels. It... was not good.

Tantric
Dec 4, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

So here I am in beautiful Sioux Falls, SD, the largest city in the state (around 154k) and they just recently got a real craft brewery about four months ago. (They also have a Granite City but that doesn't count)

The Gandy Dancer Brew Works does pretty OK beer (their black IPA is the best), but I think the fact they exist in this town made them worth a visit all by itself. One of the barkeeps/brewers was sharing beers with the folks at the bar, and he was talking about how he started as a homebrewer, but brewing for a "bigger" 1 barrel system was quite a lot different, and so on. It was super endearing given that in Oregon, if you're at all good at brewing, you'll be outgrowing that 1bbl system almost immediately due to demand.

The beer scene is small but dedicated. Once everyone found out I was from Bend, one of the older guys was talking about how he drove from Sioux City (90 miles south) in order to get Chasin' Freshies on tap, such is the love people seem to have for Deschutes around here. I felt bad in a way, given that it's just a bit more accessible where I live.

I am in there a few times a week and for the middle of nowhere its a nice little bar. They have done a very nice job of promoting good beer in the area and the town is young enough that it is starting to take hold and really change the bar scene in the area. South Dakota was nothing but BMC beers until the last few years and Deschutes was one of the first breweries to distribute and the reps have been fantastic promoting them since the start. Finding Mirror Pond and Black Butte in the grocery stores was wonderful after I moved back here from Portland in 2008.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Crime had a terrible aroma and taste. Like the worst I've ever had. The only thing it had going for it was the burn. It accomplished that I guess.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

crazyfish posted:

It wasn't Scratch I was talking about re: bottle chases, I was referring to Side Project

Oh yeah, sorry about that. A fun time last night, tho, definitely.

Tantric posted:

South Dakota was nothing but BMC beers until the last few years and Deschutes was one of the first breweries to distribute and the reps have been fantastic promoting them since the start.

This is pretty much what happened in TX circa 2005 or so, too. It's very endearing to hear that they've worked hard to spread beer in non-beer places.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Cbear posted:

I'm trying to plan my Philly trip in a few weeks. I'm going to Monks and Tired Hands for sure. Is any other place a must?

I highly recommend going to Barcade and Pizza Brain. Barcade always has a solid tap list and if you're into retro games like Tron, Tapper, Ms. Pac Man, Double Dragon, etc then you owe it to yourself to go. Right down the road is Pizza Brain, which is arguably the best place to get pizza in the city. It just opened up a little over a year ago and people sing nothing but praise.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Midorka posted:

I highly recommend going to Barcade and Pizza Brain. Barcade always has a solid tap list and if you're into retro games like Tron, Tapper, Ms. Pac Man, Double Dragon, etc then you owe it to yourself to go. Right down the road is Pizza Brain, which is arguably the best place to get pizza in the city. It just opened up a little over a year ago and people sing nothing but praise.

It's also connected to Little Baby's Ice Cream which you owe it to yourself to visit just because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erh2ngRZxs0

Also they have good ice cream.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It's also connected to Little Baby's Ice Cream which you owe it to yourself to visit just because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erh2ngRZxs0

Also they have good ice cream.

Well I'm scarred for life. Thanks for that.

Thanks for all the tips. Onto research philly food now!

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Crime and Punishment are vile things as is Founders Spite. Man gently caress chili beers that aren't Hunahpu and its small army of clones.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007

quote:

Crime & Punishment horror

That bad, huh? Maybe I'll just stick with Ghost Face Killah.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Retemnav posted:

That bad, huh? Maybe I'll just stick with Ghost Face Killah.

I refuse to believe they could be worse than that abomination.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Cracked open the one bottle of Bourbon County Coffee I picked up and holy hell I think it might have been the best coffee stout I've had yet. Could not stop smelling it at all.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Crime and Punishment are vile things as is Founders Spite. Man gently caress chili beers that aren't Hunahpu and its small army of clones.

Spite wasn't that bad. Drinking a full pint or bomber would be a terrible experience but I quite enjoyed the sample I had.*

*I like spicy food.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Retemnav posted:

Had not heard of Paddy's, sounds cool. I wasn't overly impressed with IGOR, I thought it was a little thin, but if Aces & Eights is available definitely pick some of that up, very good coffee stout. It hasn't shown up in Winston yet.
Paddy's is doing a little event with Big Boss tonight featuring a keg of habanero Aces & Ates and a keg of orange-infused High Roller. I'm 50/50 on whether or not I want to go...on the one hand I love (good) chili-infused stouts but on the other hand I am a little skeptical as to how habanero would do in a coffee stout.

Also just had a friend pick me up BCBS in Carrboro :woop:

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

air- posted:

Just saw that DFH is gonna have Raison D'Extra (which has not been produced since 2007 I think? ) again in 2014. Draft only:
http://www.dogfish.com/files/DFH2014_ReleasePoster_lores.pdf

Wow, this thread is worth digging through. This was one of my favorite beers when I first started drinking, still have one from 2006. Thanks for the heads up!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Man gently caress chili beers that aren't Hunahpu and its small army of clones.

Habanero Sculpin was supposed to be pretty good. I'm still pissed I missed it

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Habanero Sculpin was supposed to be pretty good. I'm still pissed I missed it

Habanero Sculpin is delicious. Most of Ballast Point's chile beer experiments turn out pretty well, actually.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I actually opened Punishment last night as I was assuming Stone wouldn't diarrhea all over a perfectly delicious base beer. I have a number of issues with this beer that I'll present in list form:

1. There's a difference between adding heat to a beer to give it a kick (as one would do with food) and completely overwhelming the palate with habanero-type peppers (they don't say they used habs but it's the same nasal-y, buttery heat habs give off).

2. As I noted above, why ruin a good base beer with such a huge blast of peppers? Nobody's pulling out the nuances of the base beer underneath the heat.

3. $18.99 for a 500ml bottle. I get BA beers cost more for reasons we've discussed here in the past, and the base beer is heavy which means more malt which means more money to make, that's all fine and good. But, if you're going to wreck a beer, why not make the base be your Smoked Porter, Self-Righteous, or something else that costs less to make? You're wasting tanks of delicious BA Double Bastard. This level of heat doesn't "pair" well with any specific type of beer, so save the good stuff for something that people will be able to taste.

4. I love heat. If I'm eating pho and I'm not sweating with a runny nose, there's not enough peppers or sauce in the bowl. Punishment, though, is a gimmick, and it's stupid to waste BA DB for a gimmick. I feel like Stone had an abundance of BA DB that maybe didn't taste up to their standards, and Greg was looking to burn a surplus of peppers somewhere, and they just threw it all together, killed two birds with one stone, and hosed the consumer in the rear end by slapping the QM graphic on the bottle collar and charging $19 for it.

Jerks.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wattershed posted:

completely overwhelming the palate

This is kind of Stone's thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Also I think it is a good bit of ghost peppers. Just think about that, a good dosing of GHOST peppers on top of all the other types.

Ugh.