Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CeallaSo posted:

Always save it to cross gaps on fights that have spaces you can fall through, or to escape the boss on platforms with limited space.

Isn't that literally what the dragoon did in the 32-bit Titan Extreme video S-E release, or am I imagining it and he actually just hung out in the red zone?

he stood in the red zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The world's most awkward gap closer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can dragoon backflip across the chasms in skalla?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can dragoon backflip across the chasms in skalla?

speaking of which, it is, in fact, possible to right click off the transformation buff while flying over the chasm.

Listen, I just HAD to do it at least once.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Renegret posted:

speaking of which, it is, in fact, possible to right click off the transformation buff while flying over the chasm.

Listen, I just HAD to do it at least once.

It also times out, just in case you wanted to /gpose on top of a chasm and take a picture of yourself in monster form.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

unseenlibrarian posted:

It also times out, just in case you wanted to /gpose on top of a chasm and take a picture of yourself in monster form.

yeah our healer found that out the hard way, when he turned around to rez my body

at that point it became a scene from a slapstick comedy

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Got the mve tht lets you backflip out of battle as dragoon its pretty fun

If you aren't backflipping into the cairn of progress, you are not playing Dragoon right.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Haukke Manor (Spooky) was pretty silly.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

CeallaSo posted:

For me, a lot of the trouble with Hashmal was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you're on the wrong side of the arena when he comes in for the charge, there literally isn't enough time to make it out. And as a healer, that's essentially instant death. But I think the group I ended up with the first time died maybe 4 times before getting it down, which isn't too bad?

I think probably the #1 "avoidable but understandable if people mess up" element of it to me is when somebody loses track of one of the double pillars and get unlucky. When they spawn close to him there can be a lot of visual clutter going on and I feel like the fact that I've never died to them is dumb luck.

IIRC his Haircut-esque charge is always east to west though-- granted I'm basing this on a small sample size-- but hopefully that's helpful?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, when he jumps run to the center before you start scanning to see where he is. Then no matter which of his arms glows you should have time to run to the safe side from the center. If you're hanging out in the far north or south you're just asking for a Calofisteri-style haircut.

The pillars aren't too bad up close, since you can literally see which way they lean and move out of the way. Unless you have 15 blms spamming Flare there shouldn't be enough visual clutter to hide the giant slices in the pillars.

If anything the most dangerous mechanic is the ground targets that pop up under random people right as you're moving to avoid Earth Hammer late in the fight. There actually may be enough clutter at that point that you don't notice you're standing in the middle of a sea of death until too late.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

All the player centered aoes are definitely the most dangerous part of the fight. When people get marked, they start running towards the edges, and then the other players panic and run the same direction to try and get away.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Had a guy last night losing his fuckin' mind in Rabanastre. Ging crazy that we werent pulling the right guy or some guy died or didnt do the mechanic correctly.

We never wiped. There was never a real problem. Some people are just sad lonely individuals.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KoB posted:

Had a guy last night losing his fuckin' mind in Rabanastre. Ging crazy that we werent pulling the right guy or some guy died or didnt do the mechanic correctly.

We never wiped. There was never a real problem. Some people are just sad lonely individuals.

This happens fairly often in 24 mans. Usually it's because they watched a guide for the fight and think that you have to do things exactly that way or wipe.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This community is generally pretty chill but something about putting 24 of them together just makes people lose their drat minds. Even PVP isn't that hostile

It's still fun though, part of the charm really

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Fister Roboto posted:

This happens fairly often in 24 mans. Usually it's because they watched a guide for the fight and think that you have to do things exactly that way or wipe.

My second ever weeping city as a healer was with a tank that absolutely lost his poo poo if any mistakes were made or he dipped below %50 hp. Like all caps in alliance chat going "HEALS I NEED HEALS MY HEALERS AREN'T HEALING ME".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hihifellow posted:

My second ever weeping city as a healer was with a tank that absolutely lost his poo poo if any mistakes were made or he dipped below %50 hp. Like all caps in alliance chat going "HEALS I NEED HEALS MY HEALERS AREN'T HEALING ME".

I hope you let him die

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
If the healers aren't playing chicken with my health so they can squeeze out more dps then it's not any fun.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Back in the 2.x days I was healing a WoD and the other healer was going absolutely ape poo poo that I was DPSing and not healing even when everyone was at full health.

At one point a ninja died because he ate a completely avoidable mechanic (instakilled from full health, plus he was standing outside of my range) and the other healer flipped out saying that it was my fault he died. I told him the ninja deserved it.

He spent the rest of the raid trying to votekick me.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
nvm

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

My biggest gripe with DRG now is the goddamn animation locks that basically demand you have some experience with the boss you're fighting. Oh you used Jump the nanosecond before an aoe circle appeared, enjoy leveling up that spiritbond with the floor bitch.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Renegret posted:

I hope you let him die

I wish, the other healer kept him going.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

This community is generally pretty chill but something about putting 24 of them together just makes people lose their drat minds. Even PVP isn't that hostile

I think it just comes down to approximately 1 in 24 people not being chill.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bolow posted:

My biggest gripe with DRG now is the goddamn animation locks that basically demand you have some experience with the boss you're fighting. Oh you used Jump the nanosecond before an aoe circle appeared, enjoy leveling up that spiritbond with the floor bitch.

This was always true with drg though? Or did SB make jump even stickier?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bolow posted:

Spineshatter Dive and Dragonfire Dive are way better about this because their animation lock is about a quarter as long as Jump's. I hate Jump and really, really wish the animation lock didn't involve your character doing a slow, graceful backflip in place while you get plastered by a fresh AOE when you Jump in melee range.

I've done some Susano EX again recently to get a 320 weap for my DRG and Raisen Kaikyo has become my absolute most hated mechanic in the game because its cast time, start to finish, including animations, is shorter than Jump's animation lock and it's infuriating. I can Jump before Raisen Kaikyo starts and then hit my backflip in a futile attempt to not die and all that it changes is that my corpse will be across the arena instead of under the boss.

CeallaSo posted:

For me, a lot of the trouble with Hashmal was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you're on the wrong side of the arena when he comes in for the charge, there literally isn't enough time to make it out. And as a healer, that's essentially instant death. But I think the group I ended up with the first time died maybe 4 times before getting it down, which isn't too bad?

I had fun problems with Hashmal on release night where the purple circles that telegraph rocks shoot out of the ground just didn't bother rendering for me. Like not "I am being unaware and didn't notice the circle" but straight up they just weren't rendering because my computer was being stupid. Reinstalling Windows fixed it (I was due for a reinstall anyway) but man that nonsense had me pretty tilted about that boss for a while because of how frustrating it is to just arbitrarily die because attack telegraphs aren't showing up the way they should.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

It used to be so much worse. I'm pretty sure the animation lock for jump used to be close to a full second.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

This was always true with drg though? Or did SB make jump even stickier?

I've only recently started playing so I have no idea what it was like in ARR/HW

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bolow posted:

I've only recently started playing so I have no idea what it was like in ARR/HW

Ohhh sorry. Misread what you meant by "now". Yeah it takes a little practice to get used to jumping without dying. The best way to learn is to just eat aoes and yell at the healer

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ainsley McTree posted:

You have a chance of getting a dick in an eight man party. Alliance Raids are that x3, so it makes sense there's more obnoxious people there.

Last night in Crystal Tower unsynced, we had three four man parties, and one of Group C's guys kept coming over to Group B's corridor even though everyone was telling him he was going to the wrong spot.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I am 100 percent certain the reason why the class who jumps and flips through the air wears nearly the heaviest armor/has the highest non-tank defense is because of the jump animation lock

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Fister Roboto posted:

It used to be so much worse. I'm pretty sure the animation lock for jump used to be close to a full second.

I didn’t play Dragoon at the time, but during 2.0 I remember hearing Jump’s animation lock was so bad it became a DPS loss due to it clipping the next Weapon Skill.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Magres posted:

I've done some Susano EX again recently to get a 320 weap for my DRG and Raisen Kaikyo has become my absolute most hated mechanic in the game because its cast time, start to finish, including animations, is shorter than Jump's animation lock and it's infuriating. I can Jump before Raisen Kaikyo starts and then hit my backflip in a futile attempt to not die and all that it changes is that my corpse will be across the arena instead of under the boss.

I about %90 certain that movement skills don't count as movement until they complete, so if you're still sailing through the air when the aoe resolves, it's gonna hit even if you're physically out of it. At least that's how it seems on rdm.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also there was a time when dragoon armor had so little magic defense that they literally couldn't survive unavoidable damage in Coil.

Also the buff from Heavy Thrust was dependent on the positional requirement. And the rear positional requirement was on Impulse Drive, and the whole combo was dependent on that.

Dragoon used to be real loving bad.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

One would think that a job that specifically designed to kill Dragons would have innately high magical resistances :psyduck:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is it possible to use a pushback ability to knock a mob off a cliff and kill it?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hashmal is so simple, I don't know how people gently caress it up so much. I can understand how they gently caress up Argath because the wording of "scatter" is poor and the simon says mechanic isn't super apparent to begin with.

They hosed up a couple of mechanics translations in this patch actually, what with Kelpie doing the opposite of what he says.

It was really bad the first week but it's been smooth sailing lately in Ivalice.

I suspect Shinryu ex is gonna be like this too. Some people just learn really glacially and those that don't just don't come back. The farms have been getting easier every day. Yesterday I had one where all of the dps killed themselves both in p1 and p3 and we just methodically chain rezzed and cleared. Low dps requirements really helps a lot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it possible to use a pushback ability to knock a mob off a cliff and kill it?

Monsters? No. People in PVP? Absolutely.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013
I swear some of the movement skills sometimes count you as standing in every spot along its path while it goes off. My group had a hilarious wipe in o3s ages ago where our rdm accidentally hit his gap closer during book phase and proceeded to kill half the party by dropping double books on them all at once

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also there was a time when dragoon armor had so little magic defense that they literally couldn't survive unavoidable damage in Coil.

Also the buff from Heavy Thrust was dependent on the positional requirement. And the rear positional requirement was on Impulse Drive, and the whole combo was dependent on that.

Dragoon used to be real loving bad.

I would get an adlo and an apoc and would still sometimes die on kaliya's raidwide after the add phase.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bolow posted:

One would think that a job that specifically designed to kill Dragons would have innately high magical resistances :psyduck:

Just jump over the dragon fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Renegret posted:

Back in the 2.x days I was healing a WoD and the other healer was going absolutely ape poo poo that I was DPSing and not healing even when everyone was at full health.

At one point a ninja died because he ate a completely avoidable mechanic (instakilled from full health, plus he was standing outside of my range) and the other healer flipped out saying that it was my fault he died. I told him the ninja deserved it.

He spent the rest of the raid trying to votekick me.

seems like a failure to manage expectations on the tanks part, if you ask me. I mean, I go into every pub expecting to have to hit Holmgang at some point, it's why I put it on CTRL + Q, nice and easy to hit.