Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Really stuck between preordering this or LitA’s city pop compilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I saw a copy of VMP Fiona Apple's Tidal sell for 500 dollars on ebay.

They they repressed it a month later.

Haha. I sold mine for $30ish I think. Whoops. Oh well I probably bought 3 or 4 good records with the money.

Fors Yard posted:

I kinda like this in an Another Green World sort of way. Not that Eno hasn't used the horrible cutout/stencil filter:

The actual print isn't bad looking. The fact that is unbelievably low effort is what bugs me. It looks like something an intern banged out in 10 minutes.

I've said multiple times in this thread that I am an on and off again subscriber. I enjoy the service when it is good but they do deserve criticism.

MrSargent posted:

The quality of the pressings and the covers are always top-notch and I don't think paying $25 for a double-LP is price-gouging. Its ok if the service isn't your thing, but seems odd to say they are contributing to the inflation of prices when I have seen lovely double-LP represses retail for the same amount.

The $25 price is only if you subscribe (and pay up front) for a year. Otherwise it is $29 which is not too bad for a double record that is OOP and rare like De La. But with the subscription you have to risk something like St. Vincent, Townes Van Zant*, Betty Davis** or or something else that is widely available an much less expensive.

*I love Townes and found the Fat Possum For the Sake of the Song for $13 new.
**I bought the LITA Betty Davis. I actually DJ'd The Spins for that release and they gave me a copy of the VMP version which I just gave to my friend who showed up.

MrSargent posted:

I read on their forums that starting this year, they will no longer re-press ROTMs once they are sold out.

That's gonna limit the swaps option.

pwn posted:

What’s their story for not repressing records of the month?

Some members got upset when they announced the Archie Shepp re-press because "VMP lied about its exclusivity". I had my copy and was stoked to see them repress it so others could snag it.

Oldstench posted:

I don't usually give a poo poo about colored records, but Surachai's new one had an option for a limited edition hand-poured version that looks stunning.

That is pretty rad... also a little :gizz:

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 12, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I got records today. My VMP box (two of the three records within have already sold out :haw: ) and... something else.

Child’s Play is the self-titled sole release of a Richmond jazz fusion band from the late 1970s. I got it for my father-in-law who used to have a copy and knew one of the band members.

It’s actually pretty good! A bit on the proggish side of things. I might pick up a second copy for myself because while it is pretty obscure, it’s not too pricey on discogs.

Lastly have a couple more pics of Barbara Howard, because the record, much like the music within, is gorgeous.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Oldstench posted:

I don't usually give a poo poo about colored records, but Surachai's new one had an option for a limited edition hand-poured version that looks stunning.

thats cool as gently caress

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Nice! My box isn't supposed to arrive for another week so I am mega jealous. I have held off on checking out Oriental Jazz so far so I am interested to hear what you think of it.

sporklift posted:

I've said multiple times in this thread that I am an on and off again subscriber. I enjoy the service when it is good but they do deserve criticism.

The $25 price is only if you subscribe (and pay up front) for a year. Otherwise it is $29 which is not too bad for a double record that is OOP and rare like De La. But with the subscription you have to risk something like St. Vincent, Townes Van Zant*, Betty Davis** or or something else that is widely available an much less expensive.

I've been a subscriber for a year and still have records on my list to swap. So for me at least, there really isn't any risk in not liking the ROTM in one of the three tracks. The last swap I did I think I grabbed the Miles Davis/Coltrane album and The Fugees which you could only get via Swaps at that point. I would have to confirm but I am pretty sure you can wait until they announce the ROTM to sign up as well.

Maybe I'm the chump they are targeting, lol.

quote:

That's gonna limit the swaps option.

I think they will keep the same number of swaps available by adding more non-ROTM records to the swap list. Thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Oldstench posted:

This is amazing. How is it made?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MrSargent posted:

Nice! My box isn't supposed to arrive for another week so I am mega jealous. I have held off on checking out Oriental Jazz so far so I am interested to hear what you think of it.

Overall it's not nearly as "out there" as Storf hyped it up to be before the announcement, it is very much a jazz album. Which isn't a knock on it at all -- I do love me some jazz -- just don't go in expecting nothing but exotic Persian instrumentation. Although the opening track does start off that way, with an extended instrumental of Miller performing the santur before transitioning to drums, piano and bass. Several songs are like that with both Eastern and Western instrumentation kind of playing off each other.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

BY THE WAY.

I recall a few people talking about Sparks here so I figured those among us would want to know this. One of the titles you can vote on this current round of things on Run Out Groove is a half speed master reissue of A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing by Sparks.

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com/vote-for-next-release

I don't plan on buying it but i voted for you guys.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Barry posted:

This is amazing. How is it made?

https://waxmagerecords.com/customorders/

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Whats the best for cleaning records? Magnetic brush? Anyone use something they can link me too?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Flaggy posted:

They are Klipsch KG 2.2 8 ohms power is 75 watts 375 peak watts

I am leaning towards the Technics receiver as I believe it has more watts per channel.

For polite listening they should all be fine, but if you ever want to crank it I think all but the technics might struggle. THD on the technics is far better than all the rest too.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Flaggy posted:

Whats the best for cleaning records? Magnetic brush? Anyone use something they can link me too?

Throw them in the dishwasher on pots and pans with heated dry.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

CPL593H posted:

That's pretty cool. Are you pressing your own music or are you a label?

I'm one of the countless small labels doing the thing. It's called What's For Breakfast? Records and it mostly focuses on garage/garagepunk, but there's some shoegaze and heavy stuff from time to time. Here's some cell phone glamour shots of most of what I've pressed to wax, but I've also done a ton of tapes in between to keep things going. The front page of the website needs an update but the links to the bandcamp and the social media are current. If you like how something sounds, DM me—the Storenvy fees are getting crazy and I really want to get away from that platform ASAP. And color variants for most are almost sold out so I hold them for tabling at local label events, but I could route what's left of those to goons.

edit: fixed the link. Clearly I'm uhhh good at this.

Bread Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 12, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

Haha. I sold mine for $30ish I think. Whoops. Oh well I probably bought 3 or 4 good records with the money.

Oh don't feel bad, the prices tanked on that a a week or so later. That was just some idiot going "OH MY GOD IT WILL NEVER BE AVAILABLE AGAIN!" before they repressed them. After that you could find dozens of copies on ebay for retail. I just check though and the prices are climbing back up, probably because of that "no repress" announcement from a few days ago. They're in the 60-80 dollar range currently.

sporklift posted:

I don't plan on buying it but i voted for you guys.

Awesome, thanks.

Bread Dragon posted:

I'm one of the countless small labels doing the thing. It's called What's For Breakfast? Records and it mostly focuses on garage/garagepunk, but there's some shoegaze and heavy stuff from time to time. Here's some cell phone glamour shots of most of what I've pressed to wax, but I've also done a ton of tapes in between to keep things going. The front page of the website needs an update but the links to the bandcamp and the social media are current. If you like how something sounds, DM me—the Storenvy fees are getting crazy and I really want to get away from that platform ASAP. And color variants for most are almost sold out so I hold them for tabling at local label events, but I could route what's left of those to goons.

Garage is extremely my poo poo, so you'll be hearing from me at some point.

edit: The link you posted doesn't work.

edit 2: I found the Storenvy link somewhere else. What a roller coaster of emotions. I'll contact you with the stuff I want. Thanks for posting this stuff.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 12, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bread Dragon posted:

edit: fixed the link. Clearly I'm uhhh good at this.

This is cool and good.
Any particular albums that you recommend checking out? I'll peruse the bandcamps later.
Got any electronic music?

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is cool and good.
Any particular albums that you recommend checking out? I'll peruse the bandcamps later.
Got any electronic music?

The cop-out answer of course is that I love them all, or I wouldn't have spent the cash, BUT I can offer some guidelines. Anyone who likes general all-purpose punk music can enjoy the Ellen and the Degenerates 45. The Bow & Spear LP (general shoegaze) or the Modern Convenience LP (Tennessee garagepunk with shades of Jay Reatard) also have crowd pleasing sounds. I really love The Wirms stuff I've released, but it's a little more odd—I always say they remind me of an Ozarks version of the first Meat Puppets EP, real manic. Ten High opened at Gonerfest this last go-round and they're about to play like a dozen shows at South By but some people hate paying $5-6 for a single. I love big hole singles even though it's admittedly stupid to press one ITYOOL 2019.

Nothing purely electronic but I'm about to release a CD (and later in the year an LP) of a Kansas City band called Salty that sounds like the old British band The Cardiacs. I've also got a few distro copies of the new Science Man LP.

CPL593H posted:

Garage is extremely my poo poo, so you'll be hearing from me at some point.

edit: The link you posted doesn't work.

edit 2: I found the Storenvy link somewhere else. What a roller coaster of emotions. I'll contact you with the stuff I want. Thanks for posting this stuff.

Thanks for the support and the heads up on the bad link! Holler anytime.

I don't wanna poo poo up the thread without content so here's a shot of the beat up old James Gang LP I'm jamming while working from home.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Finally found a really nice copy of a very sentimental 7” from my youth

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Another early aughts hardcore pickup

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
good poo poo m8

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bread Dragon posted:

The cop-out answer of course is that I love them all, or I wouldn't have spent the cash, BUT I can offer some guidelines. Anyone who likes general all-purpose punk music can enjoy the Ellen and the Degenerates 45. The Bow & Spear LP (general shoegaze) or the Modern Convenience LP (Tennessee garagepunk with shades of Jay Reatard) also have crowd pleasing sounds. I really love The Wirms stuff I've released, but it's a little more odd—I always say they remind me of an Ozarks version of the first Meat Puppets EP, real manic. Ten High opened at Gonerfest this last go-round and they're about to play like a dozen shows at South By but some people hate paying $5-6 for a single. I love big hole singles even though it's admittedly stupid to press one ITYOOL 2019.

Nothing purely electronic but I'm about to release a CD (and later in the year an LP) of a Kansas City band called Salty that sounds like the old British band The Cardiacs. I've also got a few distro copies of the new Science Man LP.
What's the noisiest fuckin band you have dude. Blast some feedback into my ears just blow my brains out with distortion. This is a sincere post.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I just got my record collection in the mail yesterday, and one of my stepdad's old records has an oddity I've never seen before!!

It's the Stones record, but the factory but the wrong label on side one (music is totally normal, just the label). The stones aren't my jam these days, but it's still cool; seeing weird misprints was my favorite part of the job I had buying Magic: the Gathering cards. (MTG is similar to vinyl collecting, except the collectibles aren't as cool, they're newer, they're mostly useless, and they cost ten times as much.)

Here's my setup for the time being until my housemate gets in her old speakers next month. I got the 1200 almost a decade ago and jeez louise are those more expensive now than they were then! I'd never heard of the receiver and couldn't find it googling, but it was $60 at the Goodwill by my house so I'm gonna have a little project cleaning it up. It sounds pretty good when a record is playing through it, but pretty noisy when there isn't. Picked up the copy of On the Corner for $30; it's the album that got me into jazz, and as such I've wanted to have an OG copy for a while

I'm going through hundreds of records and finding the exact pressing to add to my collection on discogs and honestly it's fun because I'm a total dweeb

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 13, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

kingcobweb posted:

I just got my record collection in the mail yesterday, and one of my stepdad's old records has an oddity I've never seen before!!

It's the Stones record, but the factory but the wrong label on side one (music is totally normal, just the label). The stones aren't my jam these days, but it's still cool; seeing weird misprints was my favorite part of the job I had buying Magic: the Gathering cards. (MTG is similar to vinyl collecting, except the collectibles aren't as cool, they're newer, they're mostly useless, and they cost ten times as much.)

Here's my setup for the time being until my housemate gets in her old speakers next month. I got the 1200 almost a decade ago and jeez louise are those more expensive now than they were then! I'd never heard of the receiver and couldn't find it googling, but it was $60 at the Goodwill by my house so I'm gonna have a little project cleaning it up. It sounds pretty good when a record is playing through it, but pretty noisy when there isn't. Picked up the copy of On the Corner for $30; it's the album that got me into jazz, and as such I've wanted to have an OG copy for a while

I'm going through hundreds of records and finding the exact pressing to add to my collection on discogs and honestly it's fun because I'm a total dweeb

The 311 Lifestyle posted:

good poo poo m8

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

What's the noisiest fuckin band you have dude. Blast some feedback into my ears just blow my brains out with distortion. This is a sincere post.

this is the question I ask about almost every record label.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

I haven't pressed anything truly loving insane to wax. Bow & Spear sound gnarly live if you live in Chicago and they want to sound gnarly on their records, but they keep wilting when recording engineers move to clean up their sound. Missiles of October sound like Nomeansno but that's not exactly a noisy Melvins sound. The Bleeders tape I did a while back was gnarly as hell and the Sunwyrm stuff has had some gnarly basement hesher jank on it. The second Shitdels album is gonna hit wax later this year but that's noisy in the sense of 'old punks killed themselves a swamp witch with the reverb and tremolo cranked to 11' rather than like a noisy hardcore thing. I like noisy poo poo—one of my all time favorite modern full lengths is Black Fuzz on Wheels by Acid Eater—but none of that's come across my docket yet. No harm no foul if none of those descriptors work for you.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Ill check em out! I listened to a couple Modern Convenience LPs on bandcamp and those are some fun records. I used to shop at Wax Trax in Denver and it really reminded me of all the fuzzy garage-pop I’d get from that store, weirdly nostalgic sound for me

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I bought some of my first records from wax trax :unsmith:

303 rep
https://youtu.be/W84Zz00rpGw

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

303 rep

Oh gently caress yes. It’s still my favorite record store I’ve ever shopped at. Going through my collection there’s all these records with their writing on it like “HELL YEAH!! GARAGE FUZZ MONSTER PUNK! THIS RULES! FIJI PRESSING LIMITED RUN OF 150 RECORDS! $7” and it’ll be a $35 record on discogs now

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

I used to listen to the Stones a lot but at this point I basically only listen to Their Satanic Majesties Request and Between the Buttons. I find those to be the best of their albums. They were never better than the Brian Jones era, mainly when they started doing originals instead of R&B covers. Satanic Majesties is one of those albums they never gets the credit it deserves.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

Oh gently caress yes. It’s still my favorite record store I’ve ever shopped at. Going through my collection there’s all these records with their writing on it like “HELL YEAH!! GARAGE FUZZ MONSTER PUNK! THIS RULES! FIJI PRESSING LIMITED RUN OF 150 RECORDS! $7” and it’ll be a $35 record on discogs now

this is barely an exaggeration btw

CPL593H posted:

I used to listen to the Stones a lot but at this point I basically only listen to Their Satanic Majesties Request and Between the Buttons. I find those to be the best of their albums. They were never better than the Brian Jones era, mainly when they started doing originals instead of R&B covers. Satanic Majesties is one of those albums they never gets the credit it deserves.

you looking for a copy?? I got this one https://www.discogs.com/The-Rolling-Stones-Their-Satanic-Majesties-Request/release/1164092

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

kingcobweb posted:

Hell yes On the Corner

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

this is barely an exaggeration btw

you looking for a copy?? I got this one https://www.discogs.com/The-Rolling-Stones-Their-Satanic-Majesties-Request/release/1164092

I have like four different copies of this because I kept finding slightly better ones. I think two of them have the lenticular cover. I eventually got a pristine UK copy that was 12 bucks or something. It didn't have the fancy cover so the dealer just though it was a crappy one. When I looked to check the condition I saw "Made in the UK" right on the label so I was pretty hyped to find that after years of finding copies that were VG at best. It sounds great. I looked it up on discogs and it's a second pressing.

edit: I'd be delighted to find a UK mono copy but you can't have everything.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 14, 2019

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Toe Rag posted:

303 rep

Oh man I had to snag a copy for myself. Luckily the seller also had the Chicano Batman record I was looking for so it was a cheap add on.

This showed up. Super bare bones. Double record housed in a single slipcover. The sleeves have some stills from the movie printed on them. That's it. Luckily I still have my copy of the CD which has a booklet with pictures of Neil Young composing the score that were taken by Jarmusch. These pictures are badass and should have been included.

But... I've been wanting this on wax since it came out in the 90's so I'm happy to get something finally. I owned this soundtrack before I ever saw the movie and it had a profound effect on my 19yo drug addled mind. It still gives me chills when I hear it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Really stuck between preordering this or LitA’s city pop compilation.

Ok going to preorder this and hope the City Pop one sticks around for a while.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Seaside Lovers is up, go go go go go

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

At any given time there's only three random Animal Collective albums in print (except for all the unopened first press copies of Centipede Hz. that no one buys which is wrong, CHz is my jam) and I was happy to find this on the shelves.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

(CHz is my jam)

CHz owns so much, I think I put Amanita on every mixtape I made for anyone for a couple of years. I will never understand why they didn't put Crimson on there, though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

edit: I'd be delighted to find a UK mono copy but you can't have everything.

Actually, the UK mono is apparently a fold down of the stereo, if my sources are correct. The US mono is the dedicated mix.

Because, you know, records.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If you have money to burn, Boomkat is now selling The Caretaker's entire Everywhere at the End of Time project in two sets that'll run you £125 for the entire shabang.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 14, 2019

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
The other reason today has already been an expensive day: the last Caretaker album comes out today

https://boomkat.com/products/everywhere-at-the-end-of-time-stage-6

EDIT: gently caress, beaten; to add value to my post I will point out that Kirby dropped this as a going-away present for the alias:

https://thecaretaker.bandcamp.com/album/everywhere-an-empty-bliss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Caught Half Price Books slipping. Paid $8 for Slaughter - Stick It To Ya today.