Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nibble posted:

Right? That last ability had to have started as something else. A one-shot ramp effect is incredibly underwhelming on a 6-drop.

What I love is that if you ramp into this your 6 mana 7/7 will become a 6 mana 4/4 or 5/5, how lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
er if you use creature ramp i mean, obviously stuff like Explosive Vegetation is still cool

altho 6 mana 7/7 is still underwhelming

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'll still first pick it in draft assuming green decks are good. A 6-mana 7/7 reach that gets bigger is still good, just not very mythic feeling.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is always a bad EDH hydra in every set.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
At least it can fetch a non-basic. That potentially makes it slightly interesting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

I'll still first pick it in draft assuming green decks are good. A 6-mana 7/7 reach that gets bigger is still good, just not very mythic feeling.

I mean, its fine for limited, but the fact that its actually worse than Oran-Rief Hydra suggests something went wrong.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 24, 2016

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
If it had trample or menace it would be a fine card, if still not mythic-feeling. Why would you power out a massive growing hydra whose main function is to block spirit tokens?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Terrible Horse posted:

If it had trample or menace it would be a fine card, if still not mythic-feeling. Why would you power out a massive growing hydra whose main function is to block spirit tokens?

it blocks the 5/9 flyer dude.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mandatory lesbian posted:

*light trumpet starts playing* Next time on These Planes We Walk...

"Whats the deal with Black Mana?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mythics being unplayable in constructed is good for standard prices.

On the other hand, mythics can still be exciting even if they're bad. This isn't exciting. Does R&D think Timmy's favorite ability is Reach?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Entropic posted:

At least it can fetch a non-basic. That potentially makes it slightly interesting.
You can fetch Crumbling Vestige and get mana right now!

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's only true if every mythic is equally unplayable. Otherwise you end up with flip Jace. The price of a box is constant.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I just wanna play Mono Red 'Drazi with Westvale Abbey's

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aren't there more mythics then normal in this set? (just did a quick count and see 16 spoiled) I don't get expanded the number of mythics and including that in there.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 24, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Finding Sanctum of Ugin or Mirrorpool or Westvale Abbey with the hydra seems pretty fun if not great at least

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

If you discard a Madness Sorcery card at instant speed, can you cast it at instant speed for it's Madness cost?

It's casting it as part of the resolution of an ability, which is neither instant nor sorcery speed

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, this is a larger set (297 cards). There's 18 mythics, 15 regular, 3DFC.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kalli posted:

Aren't there more mythics then normal in this set? (just did a quick count and see 16 spoiled) I don't get expanded the number of mythics and including that in there.

One is Arlinn, who is a DFC. DFCs were on a different sheet than the rest last Innistrad IIRC.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Look at this dumb statement.

The only thing that makes standard prices manageable is if commons/uncommons become more playable in decks and/or if the rares/mythics have a lot of playble options in their rarity slots. Lots of bad/rares mythics just makes the decent ones more expensive.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Arbor Colossus feels 10x more mythic in comparison (and it's rare) as a green 6-drop with Reach (of all the boring abilities they could have picked).

arbor colossus has a cmc of 5 and is both cool and good.

Maybe SoI is just bringing the power of standard down from the height of Theros?!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

That's really unexciting un-mythic-feeling green mythic there. It looks like a card that got nerfed in development somehow at the last minute.

Entropic posted:

It's just a really bad version of Primeval Titan and given how close the design hews to it, I can only assume it did something closer to that before they decided it was broken and left it with just a sad version of the Primeval Titan ETB.

That or they just assumed (I dunno how correctly I'm not an EDH Guy) people would play a bad version of Primeval Titan in EDH.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 24, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's just a really bad version of Primeval Titan and given how close the design hews to it, I can only assume it did something closer to that before they decided it was broken and left it with just a sad version of the Primeval Titan ETB.

That or they just assumed (I dunno how correctly I'm not an EDH Guy) people would play a bad version of Primeval Titan in EDH.

If it had Trample it'd be pretty good.

As it stands right now? Hell no. Card's garbage.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

If it had Trample it'd be pretty good.

As it stands right now? Hell no. Card's garbage.

They even say in the preview article that it's a bad version of Primeval Titan. So basically its a Mythic because the design is related to a card that was Mythic 6 years ago. I don't really think it would be broken if it came with PT's ETB given that all of the other abilities are significantly worse than Prime Time's.

Not to mention that slapping Reach (or Deathtouch, see both Soul of Innistrad or Soul of Zendikar from M15) on a giant fatty is an aggravating design decision because they don't make a lot of sense on a big dude you want to be attacking with; it's a bit like putting Skulk on Ball Lightning. If they had given it Vigilance, it might have felt more interesting because that makes reach a lot more interesting on a big creature. In fact, it probably would have been better if it had Vigilance and didn't have Reach at all.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 24, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Reach is worse than trample but I don't think it's terrible either. He'll block basically all of the fliers in standard other than maybe Atarka, and that defensive factor can be pretty relevant for a ramp deck that wants to follow up with eldrazi. World Breaker's reach does come up quite often.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

deftest
May 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Not only will this thing get played in EDH, he'll be pretty good. He'll be a giant guy that can block flying commanders AND tutor your best land directly into play.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems like a pretty good uncommon. In a humans deck you get a big threat that's chumpable but pretty hard to multiblock down. Might be worth the 2-for-1 risk.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This was probably an overcorrection, but I'm glad they looked at Prime Time and went "yeah no not gonna do that again"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

More or less unrelated but man Bonds of Faith was a cool and good card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah i love bonds of faith, probably one of my fav designs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

This was probably an overcorrection, but I'm glad they looked at Prime Time and went "yeah no not gonna do that again"

I'm not, they made a lovely card that will be forgotten in 2 years

E: it'll be fun in standard with Mirrorpool at least

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Almost kind of sort of not quite black tooth and nail

E: I miss unburial rites

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 24, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That's a powerful reanimation spell, holy poo poo. Sure it costs 6, but Unburial Rites cost 5 then 4 for the same effect, and Unburial Rites ruled.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rites had the upside of working very well with self-mill. Still seems potentially playable.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I wish the eldrazi had etb triggers instead of doing the same thing on cast, thereby loving over theoretical combo decks and UX control decks for minimal gain

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Almost kind of sort of not quite black tooth and nail

E: I miss unburial rites

You guys wanna talk about Commander cards....

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fact that they have good on-cast triggers rather than an ability that requires them to survive a turn and attack is a big part of why Eldrazi are good this time around, IMO.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I know they'll never do it, but there's still slot 102 for a Buried Alive reprint........please Wizards?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

GeneX posted:

I wish the eldrazi had etb triggers instead of doing the same thing on cast, thereby loving over theoretical combo decks and UX control decks for minimal gain

I'm pretty sure that making them less good to reanimate *was* the gain from giving them cast triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm pretty sure that making them less good to reanimate *was* the gain from giving them cast triggers.

That's not a gain, reanimation decks are great and besides, the current assortment os such spells are, ah, rather lacking.

• Locked thread