Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Quandary posted:

Oh my god, how do I get my cat to stop meowing every time she frels like we arent paying attention to her? It's slowly driving me insane.

Get two cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Gorgar posted:

I have a cat that makes weird screamy noises when he wants to play, or wants something in general. He's settled down some and miaows normally sometimes, but the screaming still happens sometimes. Is cat. If I'm on the phone when he does it, I usually get asked about it, because it sounds weird and like he's being killed. He's fine and is a really friendly and nice cat.

She trusts you and is communicating and being more affectionate. Sounds great that an older cat is finding herself happy and comfortable enough to do this.

Yeah, she scared the poo poo out my nieces with her nightly screaming when they catsat. :black101:

I think you're probably right, this howling developed when she was really warming up to living here. It was like 6 months with very little close cuddling (head scritching accepted only), this week she has cracked the code and has started sleeping on our laps, on me in the bed (instead of "very bottom of bed sneakily") etc. She also rolls around and demands stomach scritching and does the playful "I will very carefully pretend to bite your fingers off".

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
I have a cat poop question:

I moved into a new apartment a couple months ago and my cat has slowly stopped using the litterbox. Not all at once or anything, but just an accident here or there and eventually to the point where he just won't poop in it. He seems to prefer doing it on the rug. Even when he does it in the litterbox, he refuses to bury it. I've tried changing the litterbox to a different brand which had basically zero effect. I clean it out pretty regularly, and changing all of the litter and replacing it with fresh only worked for a couple of days after his last change. Should I buy another box and see if it helps? Has anyone dealt with something similar?

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Commissar Budgie posted:

I moved into a new apartment a couple months ago and my cat has slowly stopped using the litterbox. Not all at once or anything, but just an accident here or there and eventually to the point where he just won't poop in it. He seems to prefer doing it on the rug. Even when he does it in the litterbox, he refuses to bury it. I've tried changing the litterbox to a different brand which had basically zero effect. I clean it out pretty regularly, and changing all of the litter and replacing it with fresh only worked for a couple of days after his last change. Should I buy another box and see if it helps? Has anyone dealt with something similar?

I would try moving it, if he previously used litterboxes he might not like the new placement.

Also, have you changed the litter brand? Try switching that as well.

Cats prefer to be clean, so either your cat feels that the rug is the perfect toilet or something is putting him off using his box. That could either be placement/comfort or he could be having accidents because something is wrong (eg. could be good with a vet checkup too).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Just don't change the litter immediately, start with his old brand and slowly introduce the new brand. Maybe don't get a super smelly one like Arm & Hammer, I remember that one stunk like horrible perfume. I always recommend Nature's Best, it's corn, it smells lightly like lavender, and they have it at Target now. But of course your cat may not like it, but it's no harm to try it out.

Anyways the cat is stressed out cause of the move. Maybe try getting a few (like 3) litterboxes and place them around the apartment and see if that helps. Oh and you can place the litterbox in the place where he's pooing on the carpet and slowly moving it out of the way to a better place.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh yeah and here's my third option. I made the eyes SUPER CRAZED and added point teeth

Pointy teeth Crazy eyes

Stare w/standard teeth

Choose, 1 or 2, and lemme know if u want me to make the teeth pointy on the second one

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 14, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

lizard_phunk posted:

Cat psychology question.

So my husband and I adopted my mom's "elderly" cat (which was previously my cat along with her buddy Goliath who has since passed away). She's was always pretty skittish, never a lap cat or anything.

Now she's really warmed up to living with us and is exhibiting some new behaviours: She "talks" all the time (good catte), is extremely playful, has started cautiously demanding to sleep on stomachs and other good things.

Here's the one I don't get:
When we feed her in the evening, she will eat, then like clockwork sit down to HOWL. It seriously sounds like she's mortally wounded (nothing like the howls you get by washing a cat or angry cats). This is like "hi i was hit by a truck and broke all my legs" bellowing.

I really freaked out the first time I heard her do it, but by now we have learned it just really means "play with me RIGHT NOW".

So, uh - is this a thing?

Really hard to tell without video

Thin Privilege posted:

Oh yeah and here's my third option. I made the eyes SUPER CRAZED and added point teeth

Pointy teeth Crazy eyes

Stare w/standard teeth

Choose, 1 or 2, and lemme know if u want me to make the teeth pointy on the second one

These are both terrifying

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

duckfarts posted:

These are both terrifying

Cats are terrifying. But which is your choice.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think the first one is more crazy cat face--the second one has a weird sort of enthusiasm about it that would admittedly be pretty good for a general-purpose emote.

blank
May 8, 2004
One of our cats seems to have been suddenly uninterested in her food for about a week. We took her to the vet and he did a blood test which came back negative. He expects her appetite will return on it's own, but she still seems to not want to eat. She was initially eating dry food but now she won't touch it. Same for any treats. We've had limited success getting her to eat some kinds of wet food. She mostly responds to fish like tuna or mackerel and skipjack but she is still not eating the recommended amount. She loses interest in food quickly and usually won't eat the same kind of food twice. We've been buying tins of all sorts of flavours in hopes to find something she enjoys. I think she is still hungry but won't eat. She seems a bit lethargic and has been grooming less.

We also tried pumpkin, hairball loosener and coconut oil incase there was something in her stomach that she need to void but it has not seemed to make a difference so far. I believe she has been pooping, but very little, possibly due to the fact that she has been eating very little. We are running out of ideas. The next step might be to take her back to the vet for x-rays to see if there are any blockages.

There have been no changes that could easily account for her change in behaviour and our other cat is acting normally.

Has anyone else experienced this before and have any suggestions?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Commissar Budgie posted:

I'm dealing with a variation of this, I had to do the 2nd litterbox option. He won't use his old litterbox anymore and I have no idea why. So he's currently using a way too small tupperware container until I get a new litterbox, but at least he consistently uses it. I can't figure out for sure if it's the location or the box itself, but it seems to be he doesn't like his old box anymore despite being scooped daily and properly cleaned.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Thin Privilege posted:

Just don't change the litter immediately, start with his old brand and slowly introduce the new brand. Maybe don't get a super smelly one like Arm & Hammer, I remember that one stunk like horrible perfume. I always recommend Nature's Best, it's corn, it smells lightly like lavender, and they have it at Target now. But of course your cat may not like it, but it's no harm to try it out.

Anyways the cat is stressed out cause of the move. Maybe try getting a few (like 3) litterboxes and place them around the apartment and see if that helps. Oh and you can place the litterbox in the place where he's pooing on the carpet and slowly moving it out of the way to a better place.

Yeah, I forgot to say this. Also, the scented litter smell horrible to humans - can only imagine how cats feel about them.

Another point is if the litterbox is pretty smelly the cat might avoid it. Whenever I clean the litterbox 100% (as in wash it) and replace the litter my cat rejoices.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Yep my cats show their hate of dirty (smelly) litter boxes even if it's "clean" of poop/pee, just if the litter is more than a week old. New litter =gold.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 14, 2016

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

blank posted:

One of our cats seems to have been suddenly uninterested in her food for about a week. We took her to the vet and he did a blood test which came back negative. He expects her appetite will return on it's own, but she still seems to not want to eat. She was initially eating dry food but now she won't touch it. Same for any treats. We've had limited success getting her to eat some kinds of wet food. She mostly responds to fish like tuna or mackerel and skipjack but she is still not eating the recommended amount. She loses interest in food quickly and usually won't eat the same kind of food twice. We've been buying tins of all sorts of flavours in hopes to find something she enjoys. I think she is still hungry but won't eat. She seems a bit lethargic and has been grooming less.

We also tried pumpkin, hairball loosener and coconut oil incase there was something in her stomach that she need to void but it has not seemed to make a difference so far. I believe she has been pooping, but very little, possibly due to the fact that she has been eating very little. We are running out of ideas. The next step might be to take her back to the vet for x-rays to see if there are any blockages.

There have been no changes that could easily account for her change in behaviour and our other cat is acting normally.

Has anyone else experienced this before and have any suggestions?

I'm currently going through this with my cat- she's been eating, but not enough and her weight is dropping off. She'll beg for food, I give her the wet stuff she used to wolf, and she'll just pick at it then walk away, only to repeat a few hours later. We've had her checked for everything under the sun and everything has come back normal, so we're probably looking at some form of IBS-type thing. She's going back to the vet again next week and I'm going to try and get her on some prednisolone (steroids) as that's the next thing to try.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Thin Privilege posted:

Making a CAT smilie to represent a crazed cat, with pointy teeth on the first one

Pointy teeth Crazy eyes

Stare w/standard teeth

Choose, 1 or 2, and lemme know if u want pointy teeth on the second one

1,2,or3

BurgerKingBathroom
Feb 1, 2015
I'm about 99% sure my kitty has a UTI :( he has an appointment at the vet tomorrow afternoon, but what can I do in the meantime to make sure he's as comfortable as possible? He tinkles all over the house and just cries constantly. Makes me so sad. Any help/advice is appreciated!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Took Tuna out to the park yesterday! Getting the harness on him involved some biting, but that's pretty par for the course for him, and he didn't really mind it or the leash once they were on. Once I got him out to the park he surveyed his surroundings from the carrier for a bit, chased a couple ants, chewed some grass, and then settled for lounging around in/near a planter, so I'll call it a success overall. Towards the end he got pretty spooked though, and I don't know what would have triggered it; if it weren't for the leash he definitely would have bolted off across the street. As it was, I was able to hold him back and carry him back over to his carrier (which he was also kind of spooked of at the end, I think I'll need to leave it out in the apartment as a general-purpose kitty cave so he's more used to it).

Anybody have experience with this sort of thing? I did bring treats along to make it a more positive experience, but he wasn't that interested in them.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

BurgerKingBathroom posted:

I'm about 99% sure my kitty has a UTI :( he has an appointment at the vet tomorrow afternoon, but what can I do in the meantime to make sure he's as comfortable as possible? He tinkles all over the house and just cries constantly. Makes me so sad. Any help/advice is appreciated!

If he's actually passing puddles of pee you are probably okay to wait until tomorrow afternoon, but if nothing is coming out or just a couple drops you would definitely want to go sooner. UTI is pretty rare in a young male cat but a urinary blockage is much more common in male cats 7 and under. It's a medical emergency and he'll need his bladder emptied, and it can absolutely be fatal, not to mention very painful.

My boy Oliver had one when he was 4. We had to go to the e-vet late on a Sunday night and he was in there for like 4 nights.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

The Lord of Hats posted:

Took Tuna out to the park yesterday! Getting the harness on him involved some biting, but that's pretty par for the course for him, and he didn't really mind it or the leash once they were on. Once I got him out to the park he surveyed his surroundings from the carrier for a bit, chased a couple ants, chewed some grass, and then settled for lounging around in/near a planter, so I'll call it a success overall. Towards the end he got pretty spooked though, and I don't know what would have triggered it; if it weren't for the leash he definitely would have bolted off across the street. As it was, I was able to hold him back and carry him back over to his carrier (which he was also kind of spooked of at the end, I think I'll need to leave it out in the apartment as a general-purpose kitty cave so he's more used to it).

Anybody have experience with this sort of thing? I did bring treats along to make it a more positive experience, but he wasn't that interested in them.

My experience is that while walking cats on leashes/harnesses (especially chill breeds/personalities) can be nice. The problem is that lots of cats freak out very quickly and can be amazingly strong.
Unfortunately I've had experiences with cats (even very close to home) freaking out over "nothing" and bolting - to the extent that the leash broke. I realize you probably have a high quality harness but I've had a cat get out of those too.

Maybe you want to get him familiar in his "back yard" first. :) Even if it's like a parking lot it's likely he would bolt "home" (at least in the general direction) if he gets away.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

lizard_phunk posted:

My experience is that while walking cats on leashes/harnesses (especially chill breeds/personalities) can be nice. The problem is that lots of cats freak out very quickly and can be amazingly strong.
Unfortunately I've had experiences with cats (even very close to home) freaking out over "nothing" and bolting - to the extent that the leash broke.

My cat wants to crawl under and between things, so that means under the car, behind the bushes, and between the slots in our neighbor's fence. The one time we had a nice pleasant walk away from the house he heard a car coming and freaked the gently caress out. He was like a Tasmanian devil in the harness and he was too scared for even cat logic to take over. He was struggling in the direction of the house so I just let go and he ran all the way to the front door where he stood frozen in terror at the SUV fifty feet away screaming around the corner at 10 MPH. We don't go outside anymore :(

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Woo! I'm getting a kitten tomorrow. Or, adopting one anyway. More or less all I know is that she's 12 weeks old, chipped and vaccinated, and that her name is "Nusse". I'll keep it, she seems cute from that one picture of her I saw.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I went to get cat food today and there was one of those adoption centers for cats and there was one (forget the breed) with the smooshy face and it was a kitten and had giant eyes cause s/he was pissed off. i spent a long time not purchasing my food and watching it instead :kimchi:

Wish for Rain
Jan 31, 2013

Clever Betty
Will using a Furminator too often mess up my cat's coat? The instructions say to only brush your cat about 1-2 times a week but my cat wants to be Furminated every day, multiple times a day. Actually, I think he'd be happy if I never stopped brushing him. So far I've been brushing him once a day and his coat feels really soft and it's pretty shiny so I don't think it's doing him too much harm, but please yell at me if I'm doing it wrong.

Cat tax:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
At very worst if you notice bald spots or scarring or acting like he's in pain, stop. The furminaror is pretty pointy so I'm careful, but then again I have the long haired one which is super pointy. The short hair one I assume is less so.

In summary: its fine, just don't brush hard, especially if you're doing it every day. Just do a gentle comb. For the catte it's like a really good scratchy petting which is why he loves it. E: oh and be careful around skin folds (like neck when they move their head) cause that has the potential more to get hurt. Go super gentle if you feel a fold.

And that's a fantastic pic :3:

I actually started using one of those round human brushes with the plastic ends on the brushes and they love the gently caress out of it, even more than furminator cause it's less pointy and doesn't pull out as much hair.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 16, 2016

Wish for Rain
Jan 31, 2013

Clever Betty
Thanks! That's some good advice. I'll probably pick up one of those brushes just in case :)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Wish for Rain posted:

Thanks! That's some good advice. I'll probably pick up one of those brushes just in case :)

No problemo! And im sure you got it but I meant "skin fold" and not "akin fold". Phone typing, bleh.

Women's hair brushes have a bajillion types so make sure you get one that looks exactly like that pic with the plastic ends, there's all sorts of stupid pointy ones that are literally like the ones I used to brush horses with :psyduck:

Side note: women's hair brushes have some weird thing in them that makes their (and women's) hair ridiculously soft and silky. My long hair cat, I just want to pet him forever after I brush it with the women's brush. So soft. So, so soft. Gonna brush him now then revel in his silky fur.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 16, 2016

BurgerKingBathroom
Feb 1, 2015

CompactFanny posted:

If he's actually passing puddles of pee you are probably okay to wait until tomorrow afternoon, but if nothing is coming out or just a couple drops you would definitely want to go sooner. UTI is pretty rare in a young male cat but a urinary blockage is much more common in male cats 7 and under. It's a medical emergency and he'll need his bladder emptied, and it can absolutely be fatal, not to mention very painful.

My boy Oliver had one when he was 4. We had to go to the e-vet late on a Sunday night and he was in there for like 4 nights.

Oh this makes me SOOO sad :( I really hope that isn't the case for my little buddy

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
I adopted a Cat about 8 months ago and it turned out that I was allergic(quite severely.. the nurse gasped during the test and said I was crazy for having a cat). I started immunotherapy and started taking Zyrtec and Flonase. Fast forward to now and there are no signs of my symptoms improving, in fact they are getting worse. Yesterday I had to administer an epi-pen to myself after my immunotherapy shot.

After a tough talk with my allergy doc, I have decided that it is best to give up the cat. It is breaking my heart. she is so drat adorable and affectionate.
I am trying my best to avoid taking her to a shelter.
Does anyone have any pointers when it comes to re-homing a cat? Any good websites to put her up for adoption?

The person I originally got her form is unable to temp foster her because her landlord capped the amount of animals she can have.

Sypher fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 16, 2016

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

MrSlam posted:

My cat wants to crawl under and between things, so that means under the car, behind the bushes, and between the slots in our neighbor's fence. The one time we had a nice pleasant walk away from the house he heard a car coming and freaked the gently caress out. He was like a Tasmanian devil in the harness and he was too scared for even cat logic to take over. He was struggling in the direction of the house so I just let go and he ran all the way to the front door where he stood frozen in terror at the SUV fifty feet away screaming around the corner at 10 MPH. We don't go outside anymore :(

If it helps I'm not walking my 7 lbs senior cat because I know she could fight me off (and she has done this - I thought I lost her forever, one week later I found out she had climbed into an open window in my neighbour's house and fallen in .
love with their handsome forest cat).

I don't mean to be negative though, I've had cats who were mellow on a leash. It's just really tough to deal with them if they get scared - and there are lots of things to be worried about for a cat out there.

asiperi
Aug 13, 2014

lizard_phunk posted:

she had climbed into an open window in my neighbour's house and fallen in love with their handsome forest cat
:allears:

Sypher, I'm really sorry you have to rehome your cat. She looks super cute. Try asking around on facebook, social media, etc. first. If you have a friend or friend of a friend that could take hr, you might even get to still visit her.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Sypher that's the saddest thing. Sometimes a cat rescue can do what's known as a courtesy listing, where they will put your cat's profile on their petfinder or their own site and you keep the cat with you until a good owner can be found. Maybe send some emails to local rescues and see if they can do that for you. Since you actually have a legitimate good reason for needing to rehome they will most likely be happy to help you, and the people browsing cat rescue sites are generally gonna be better owners than the Craigslist browsing people.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Sypher posted:

I adopted a Cat about 8 months ago and it turned out that I was allergic(quite severely.. the nurse gasped during the test and said I was crazy for having a cat). I started immunotherapy and started taking Zyrtec and Flonase. Fast forward to now and there are no signs of my symptoms improving, in fact they are getting worse. Yesterday I had to administer an epi-pen to myself after my immunotherapy shot.

After a tough talk with my allergy doc, I have decided that it is best to give up the cat. It is breaking my heart. she is so drat adorable and affectionate.
I am trying my best to avoid taking her to a shelter.
Does anyone have any pointers when it comes to re-homing a cat? Any good websites to put her up for adoption?

The person I originally got her form is unable to temp foster her because her landlord capped the amount of animals she can have.

I'm at my cat limit but I'd have loved to. Your profile says you're from Michigan?

It's a long shot but if friends and family don't work out there's a Indiana/Michigan thread over at LAN. Maybe there's a goon there who could take her in?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
My cat decided to yank her paw away mid nail clip and now she has a split claw with part of the middle missing. There's no bleeding and she's not in any pain right now. What should I do? :ohdear:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

My cat decided to yank her paw away mid nail clip and now she has a split claw with part of the middle missing. There's no bleeding and she's not in any pain right now. What should I do? :ohdear:

clip the hangy part close to the rest and if you have a nail file take off the hangy bits after the cat calms down. its fine dont panic. hell you can always superglue the thing if you need a closer connection to your cat

e: if there is any bleeding use styptic powder or if not available flour or corn starch work pretty well to stifle bleeding so you dont have to scrub bloody pawprints off walls.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 16, 2016

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

SneakyFrog posted:

clip the hangy part close to the rest and if you have a nail file take off the hangy bits after the cat calms down. its fine dont panic. hell you can always superglue the thing if you need a closer connection to your cat

e: if there is any bleeding use styptic powder or if not available flour or corn starch work pretty well to stifle bleeding so you dont have to scrub bloody pawprints off walls.

That's a relief. Thanks!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I need to get a pee sample from one of my cats so I have her isolated in a room with a litter box that has cut up pieces of plastic bag in it, at the suggestion of the vet (they had run out of the little plastic pebble pee-sample litter). She doesn't seem very impressed with the plastic bag pieces and looks like she's going to try and hold it as long as possible. Has anyone got any other suggestions for stuff I can make out of things I might have in the house that I could put in there that she might like better? She's used to clumping clay litter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had a whole bunch of plastic straws and airline tubing when I had to do that, I cut those up into inch long sections and filled up a layer of a litter tray and that convinced my cat to pee in it. if you have clean gravel that can also work

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I had a whole bunch of plastic straws and airline tubing when I had to do that, I cut those up into inch long sections and filled up a layer of a litter tray and that convinced my cat to pee in it. if you have clean gravel that can also work

Straws sounds like a good idea, I just don't seem to have any around even though I was sure I bought a packet a while back for the cats to play with. If she manages to outlast the vet's opening hours today I'll have a go with them instead on the second attempt.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What I did when I needed urine samples was to have a bottle lid, and feed my cat with water mixed into their food and following them after dinner and shoving the lid under their butt. Worked most of the time even if it confused the hell out of them why they didnt need to bury anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

What I did when I needed urine samples was to have a bottle lid, and feed my cat with water mixed into their food and following them after dinner and shoving the lid under their butt. Worked most of the time even if it confused the hell out of them why they didnt need to bury anything.

I suspect that might just put her off, also I don't really want to risk her crapping on my hand if it doesn't. I went out and got straws and I've put some cut up ones in. If she doesn't go for it today then when I try again I'll do a thicker layer of them.