Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

So we're going to see higher tiers of the Juicero: Juicerora and Juiceroga?

Juiceja

That's actually a great name for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And just when I thought I had caught up with all the new Pokemon.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The australian engineer youtube guy with an annoying voice examined a juicero and commented on it being really well built with no cutting corners on materials, but also useless

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

unpacked robinhood posted:

The australian engineer youtube guy with an annoying voice examined a juicero and commented on it being really well built with no cutting corners on materials, but also useless

sillicon_valley.txt

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

unpacked robinhood posted:

That's the part that sticks out the most for me, anyone can make a useless product. But these guys engineered the hell out of that thing and got nowhere.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

voting third party posted:

That's the part that sticks out the most for me, anyone can make a useless product. But these guys engineered the hell out of that thing and got nowhere.

Sure they did it perfectly avoids the evil life force destroying parts!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Earlier today I remembered a Kickstarter "success" story from 2014 and thought I'd check in on how they're doing. Let me (re)introduce you to the Coolest Cooler, a cooler (as in an insulated box designed to keep food cold) with a built-in blender and Bluetooth speaker which is somehow supposed to justify the $400 MSRP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yddkQmyjUVQ

They raised over $13.2 million from over 65k backers. You'd think this would be enough to deliver on their Kickstarter pre-orders, but apparently not. The comment section of their page still receives about 1 post per day from a backer asking where their cooler is:

The top reviews on Amazon also say that the batteries have a tendency to die (refuse to charge) after only a few uses, the included speaker has basically no waterproofing, and their customer service is non-existent.

Their last public update was from 2016 and the last backer update was in Februrary. All the updates have hundreds of comments on them, so it's probably the same story as the general comment section. So what have they been doing while not delivering on their promises to backers? Designing a new miniature version of their cooler (minus the blender + speaker), apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_iUOj9Z6T8

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Aug 20, 2018

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

voting third party posted:

It's also easy to buy parts 10x better than you need and charge way too much.

A really well engineered product will be resilient to use and abuse but won't have the same kind of gratuitous money waste. It'll also have significantly fewer parts to accomplish the same thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dylan16807 posted:

It's also easy to buy parts 10x better than you need and charge way too much.

A really well engineered product will be resilient to use and abuse but won't have the same kind of gratuitous money waste. It'll also have significantly fewer parts to accomplish the same thing.

Engineering vs German style engineering.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
A joke I remember from college:
If a normal person needs to keep his pants up, he'll wear a belt.

If a German engineer needs to keep his pants up, he'll put on a belt, suspenders, design a new hybrid belt-spender and finally put his hands on his pockets and hold on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This was in the ads in my FB feed. I'm not sure wtf is supposed to be interesting about it all but it's funded 5 times over. It's a flashlight with a USB charger and I guess big boobed women like to attach it to machine guns

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ce=42dsa.fnd.to

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
For some godawful reason i haven't told indiegogo to stop sending me emails, so today i got one with this in it

A smart speaker that streams Netflix too? Yes! And everything other speakers won't do.

★ A Portable, Voice-controlled Smart Speaker that streams media from Spotify, YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, Musicoin, Emanate and many more.
★ Made to move! Enjoy your media on the go with 6-8 hours of non-stop usage
★ Android, WiFi, Bluetooth, Wireless Charging
★ Easily buy and spend crypto with your voice, tip musicians with crypto

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/volareo-the-most-versatile-speaker-ever

There's no pictures of the ports. there's no pictures of it in operation. the campaign video is a bunch of baloney and a single clip of some guy yelling at a dummy model to order roses for mom and pay with ether. Of course it's fully funded!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The X but with Bitcoin legend continues.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I really, really hope that is an elaborate scheme to steal bitcoin.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

Oops you tried to tip a creator but it sent all the coins to us instead. Ah well no backsies!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

This was in the ads in my FB feed. I'm not sure wtf is supposed to be interesting about it all but it's funded 5 times over. It's a flashlight with a USB charger and I guess big boobed women like to attach it to machine guns

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ce=42dsa.fnd.to

ORIN LOVES GUN

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

It involves bitcoin, so the chances of it not being an elaborate scheme to steal bitcoin are exactly zero.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Quote-Unquote posted:

It involves bitcoin, so the chances of it not being an elaborate scheme to steal bitcoin are exactly zero.

Which is the funnier scam:

i) Ship a bunch of AliExpress smart speakers, wait for idiots to add their bitcoin wallet details, steal internet funny money

ii) Don’t ship anything and steal $$$

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

iii) have post kickstarter survey include request for wallet details for "easy preloaded set up", ship nothing, steal both real dollars and internet fun dollars.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Take money, take five+ years to develop, ship with open-source smart-speaker software which will be all over the place, and nobody will care about bitcoin because the bubble burst.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
New era of Kickstarter campaigning is apparently the prehype and I bumbled on this one.

HoverGlide, a bouncy backback behind you, when you find other backpacks so unconvinient for exercising and running with

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I am perplexed and astounded by how dumb this is.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

What's really dumb is they keep acting like somehow it's gouing to make things lighter.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

I really don’t understand this. If you’re running with a backpack, isn’t the whole point that it’s heavier and therefore a better workout? And if you actually needed to carry something heavy like when you’re camping, a camping backpack is going to be 1000x better bc all the weight is on your hips etc?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's an impact thing. Big camping packs are great for hiking but not for running. Running with a full bag means it whacks against you over and over with each step, and you can get huge chafe marks, blisters, bruises, etc. Remember, a lot of the damage in running is from friction over time (e.g. how runners get chapped and bleeding nipples from something as simple as their shirt rubbing against them consistently over an extended period of time). I don't know if this would actually solve the problem but I get what they're attempting to do.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Perfect, a tool I can lend to people who ask to borrow tools.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

a_good_username posted:

I really don’t understand this. If you’re running with a backpack, isn’t the whole point that it’s heavier and therefore a better workout? And if you actually needed to carry something heavy like when you’re camping, a camping backpack is going to be 1000x better bc all the weight is on your hips etc?

Running with a backpack is a fast track to lower limb injuries. This idea is however stupid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems like it'd be easier to get saddlebags for an energetic dog.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I misread that as "not your average fleshlight" and I'm not sure which is better

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Running with a backpack is a fast track to lower limb injuries. This idea is however stupid.

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: This idea however is stupid.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
We're going to get an actual sequel to Space Jam before Barkley 2 comes out :newlol:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ryan-coogler-produce-lebron-james-space-jam-sequel-1145386

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Internet forum humor and puns take a lot of time to perfect.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://i.imgur.com/JOoNidE.gifv

Say hello to Mayu, the cat water fountain for humans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TOXINS!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get why you can't just sell something as a novelty anymore. If they were selling it as the "swirly carafe! Be the biggest hit at your dinner party" it would still be dumb, but so much less offensive. But no, everything has to have some pseudoscientific health benefits now and some boogeyman poo poo about how your normal water isn't natural because apparently coming out of the loving faucet doesn't aerate it enough already.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Is that just a magnetic stirring plate?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Pretty much, you can see it better in the other gif:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oxygenated water tastes better. I usually just give it a good shake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Hungry Computer posted:

Pretty much, you can see it better in the other gif:

That was the one that caught my eye.