Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

MrYenko posted:

Hey look, nightmare fuel!

Video is loving worthless, no engine noise or significant driving footage.

This video was such a tease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's a pretty memorable way to end your career.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

I would like to know more and my google-fu is worthless. The only thing I can find relating to a dragline accident in november of 1999 is some poor old dude that fell off a walkway platform on one.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 4, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's Dragline 11 from the Saraji Mine, in Australia. A bit of googling turns up:

https://www.facebook.com/MiningMishaps/posts/525398304268357

http://www.miningmayhem.com/2015/02/saraji-dragline-11-bench-failure.html

Nothing with an actual narrative about the accident, beyond that it was a "bench failure". I can't even get a solid date, although obviously the photo suggests November 28, 1999.

The Saraji Dragline 11 bench failure photo I find the most is this one, though:

Which looks to me like a different accident involving the same dragline machine. :shrug:

Tineye finds zero results for Captain Postal's image, so I gotta ask, where'd you find that one, CP?

e. Ah here it is, photos of the same accident, although not the exact same photo:
http://www.miningmayhem.com/2014/06/dre-11-at-saraji.html

e3: Team Engineering Services has a page where they list their big jobs: this is the second from the bottom:

quote:

2000-1999 BHP – Saraji Mine DRE 11 Recovery

In conjunction with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) project managed the recovery of DRE 11 from collapsed in pit bench

e4: from page 14 of This PDF:

quote:

Recovery of DRE11 at Saraji
DRE11 slipped from a bridge during wet weather. Team Engineering Services project managed the recovery, including excavation, boom removal, levelling temporary boom counterweight, re-commissioning and walking to the high wall. DRE11 was levelled in approximately six hours with the assistance of another dragline. DRE11 was then walked forward with temporary boom and counterweight for five kilometres to the high wall maintenance shutdown pad.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 4, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can't tell if that's more

or

https://i.imgur.com/qOgusQL.gifv

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The anticipation! I was expecting a badger, bobcat, Viet Cong, poo poo pretty much anything other than a happy dogge to come out of that hole. I was on the edge of my seat. I laughed, I cried.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Low ground pressure only goes so far when you weigh several million pounds.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This looks like a fun way to die

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Gorson posted:

The anticipation! I was expecting a badger, bobcat, Viet Cong, poo poo pretty much anything other than a happy dogge to come out of that hole. I was on the edge of my seat. I laughed, I cried.

The anticipation was killing me....then doge :smugdog:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

That's Dragline 11 from the Saraji Mine, in Australia. A bit of googling turns up:

:words:

Yup, I got that one from Mining Mayhem sourced a few days ago. No details. I had just read here about the walking reducing the instance of wall collapse when I saw that pic and thought I should share it.

You're post has way more info than I've ever seen about it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

This looks like a fun way to die

Buddy of mine posted the video of that thing on Facebook yesterday. It's sounds every bit as angry 2-cycle as you think it does.

Petrolicious just finds the neatest cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wgFLTi5w0o

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

oh my loving GOD! It's like one of those angry puppy videos. :kimchi:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cool, a dogwood tree :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Ok so when you say they 'walk' what does that mean exactly? Do they just have a flat base with no locomotive features at all and get dragged around everywhere, or what? Also I'm having trouble understanding how it can be efficient to have something that huge and ponderous to move; doesn't it just excavate the area surrounding it in a matter of weeks (because of it's gigantic shovel and arm and poo poo) and then you have to spend another week moving the thing again?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

http://www.chopitkustom.com/Beatnik/Beatnik.html

:fap:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wow. Space car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know it's future car because the rear end could also be the front end.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
First really nice day (low 70s) of the year in the SF Bay Area, Alice's was hopping. Lots of Porsches, saw a couple new 911 GT3s, a brace of Cayman GT4s. Also this:

Also this thing.

Also this thing.

Poor lambo. Any other parking lot and his orange Gallardo would have been the camera magnet.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Mmmmmm slantnose

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You might call that a drop head slant nose. Would go quite well with a long tail.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

The Nissan R380 race car, and the very first Skyline GT-R, which had an engine derived from the race car.

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 7, 2016

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
I saw this Sunday at C&O. Seems familiar, but don't know why. I liked it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Volvo Amazons are boss. I seen one on my street somewhat recently. And I learned from last night's episode of Cars of the People that it was the first car to have a three-point seatbelt as standard, marking the beginning of Volvo's fetish with safety.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jehde posted:

marking the beginning of Volvo's fetish with safety bondage and restraint fetish.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The safeword is "Volvo".

That's just how I Roll.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

jhcain posted:

I saw this Sunday at C&O. Seems familiar, but don't know why. I liked it.

Did it seem familiar because I have one and you've posted in my build thread? Or am I missing some other joke?

That one looks really pretty, and I haven't seen it on any of the popular Volvo forums, odd.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

LloydDobler posted:

Did it seem familiar because I have one and you've posted in my build thread? Or am I missing some other joke?

That one looks really pretty, and I haven't seen it on any of the popular Volvo forums, odd.

That must be it. I know nothing about Volvos, aside from what I've read here, so that must be it. It was a neat car - didn't get to chat with the owner about any particulars, but it looked nicely executed.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

This one lives in my town somewhere and it's beautiful.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^^ that is such a cool looking car.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
The Hella lights look so out of place. Props for the wheels though

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's probably a nod to the Amazon's rally history, where they almost always had extra lights.

edit: Bonus P1800

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 9, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I guess it's the Hella logo that looks more modern than it is then

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

edit: Bonus P1800

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 9, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
rear window louvers are the best

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My 88 CRX's louvers weighed as much as the engine I think.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 9, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Louvres in everything, and that beetle is classy as all hell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
http://imgur.com/a/sXrew

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 9, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The above is missing the best window louvres IMO. Lamborghini Marzal... HEXAGONS EVERYWHERE.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
That 300ZX with the rear window wiper underneath looked a bit out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bless this post

re Amazons, didn't 14 inch have one for a while?