Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

I remember that one because I contacted indiegogo about it and they didn't do poo poo except say they were "evaluating it to see if it violates their terms of service"
lol indiegogo isn't going to do poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
no harm in trying

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe they just both built the reference design

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/334327310/whos-your-daddy

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

that's both less sexual and a much scarier baby than I was expecting.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lol kickstarter staff pick

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lol kickstarter staff pick

if I'm reading the updates timeline correctly they got a staff pick and their campaign suspended by Kickstarter on the same day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

if I'm reading the updates timeline correctly they got a staff pick and their campaign suspended by Kickstarter on the same day

sometimes you just hit the wrong button, you know?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
They also immediately went to Indiegogo and got the money because people are dumb.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pingiivi posted:

They also immediately went to Indiegogo and got the money because people are dumb.

christ. they get caught red handed passing off cheap chinese poo poo as their own and the people in the comments immediately blame kickstarter.

salt the earth.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

AS CREATOR
Hi everyone,
For those of you wondering why you haven't gotten a message to choose which watch you'd like here is some information. As you can see Kickstarter suspended our project a few weeks back. Along with suspending our project, they have made it so we can't message our backers. This has led to a large amount of confusion so hopefully this will help those who see it.
There is a generic wholesale watch that closely resembles some of our watches. Kickstarter and many of our backers took that to mean we were simply rebranding a current product. Not the case. It is unfortunate for us that there are generic wholesale watches available that are so similar to ours, but we assure you, we designed each of our watches individually. We have all the design files and conversations with our manufacture to prove we did so.
Our campaign has now moved to Indiegogo (a similar crowdfunding website). They have reviewed our project, design files and conversations with our manufacture have approved our project and verified our claims. We would love your continued support. Since our kickstarter campaign was canceled, all pledges and transactions have been canceled as well. You will need to contribute on Indiegogo to get your watches. Below is the link to our campaign.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/73-yr-old-watchmaker-launches-watch-with-grandson/x/10678473#/story
Our indiegogo campaign is the same as our kickstarter campaign (note that U.S. shipping is now included in the price). In our second update, we included a very detailed description of what happened with kickstarter. I will post that information below id you would like to read it.
We apologize for all of the confusion and for any inconvenience this has caused.
Thank you all for your continued support!
Best,
Ryan and Bo
Hey Everyone,
As the days have passed we have gathered more information.
Some background info:
How watch manufacturing works, and now it has worked for the last 30+ years, is when one wants to design a watch, they reach out to a watch manufacture. From there, they design a watch with readily available components (e.g. movement, case, case dimensions, case material, crystal type, band material, band dimensions, hands, face, numbers, dial, bezel etc) and finish it off with their brand logo. This is how the vast majority of watch companies manufacture watches, with the exception of brands like Rolex. They manufacture their own watches, which is in part why they are so expensive. Keep in mind, we are selling ours for $45.
Anyways, this is what we did with my grandfather on board helping us pick quality and reliable components. Unfortunately, when designing a watch with readily available components, anyone (including your manufacturer) can design the same or similar watch. Unfortunately many people, including Kickstarter, didn't take the time to do their homework and claimed we were "scamming" people by buying wholesale watches and reselling them for a profit. NOT THE CASE! We have all the files and information we need to prove otherwise. You'll also notice that you can't find anything similar to many of our other watches.
Case in point:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-Quality-stainless-steel-watch-Japan_1752889935.html
http://www.nixon.com/us/en/product/48-20-chrono-A486.html%85
It is the "same watch" with minor differences. Does this mean Nixon didn't design their watches? No, it means they used readily available components that anyone has access to which inevitably leads to being able to find similar looking watches on the internet.
You can do this same process with ANY watch on kickstarter. If you take a few minutes to look for their watch on the internet, especially Alibaba, you will find their watch. The wood and leather watch industry is much smaller so you will find similar watches easier, but if you look closely for similar steel watches, you'll find them no problem.
This is what the critics of our campaign and Kickstarter failed to understand. All Kickstarter would have had to do is ask and we could have sent them over all our design files and conversations with our manufacture that took place well over a year ago. This is what Indiegogo did and we resolved the issue.
I hope this can clear up some of the misconceptions going around.
We would love all of your continued support!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/73-yr-old-watchmaker-launches-watch-with-grandson/x/10678473

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I didn't actually read all that but skimmed a bit and it still sounds like they were cheap wholesale watches with their name/brand and a hundo or so added. It mostly sounds like a lot of MICROSOFT PAYS OTHER PEOPLE TO MAKE THEIR SOFTWARE NO ONE THINKS THIS MEANS MICROSOFT IS SCAMMING THEM

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
my master watchmaker grandfather chose only the finest artisinal off the shelf components to replicate the design of a watch already selling for about half the price we're charging. here are some cad files that prove we know exactly how the watch hands fit on the watch face (in the center, per our design documents)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sweevo posted:

christ. they get caught red handed passing off cheap chinese poo poo as their own and the people in the comments immediately blame kickstarter.

salt the earth.

what no they have the cad files and emails with their Chinese manufacturers

wait

poo poo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
here's a cheap chinese knockoff of a $500 watch, this proves that our watch is not a cheap chinese knockoff because

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol guess which kickstarter is worthless now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
cline is trash

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

you know how good ernie is with cultural references

lol that this is an actual compliment

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ernest cline doesn't just drive a delorean. he drives a delorean that has been modified to look like the car from back to the future. he literally drives around in a cultural reference

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

looking at the list it looks like it's a bunch of people too busy to be involved in more than a cursory capacity

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
in the old days on comedy central and sci fi channel, they had a bunch of books that existed for pop culture references. now that they have that cline guy on staff they can just use him

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
if i had to pick between interfacing with a book or a human

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i'm picturing him being kept in a cage in a corner of the writers' room

if he does good they toss him some collectible toy from 1986

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

in the old days on comedy central and sci fi channel, they had a bunch of books that existed for pop culture references. now that they have that cline guy on staff they can just use him

there's probably something else they can get a never ending supply of pop culture references from, not sure what it's called though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol if you thought that kickstarter wasn't worthless from the beginning

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

yeah mike forever

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

https://youtu.be/7FsXqidZgG4

ok with crow but tom servehhhhh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

servo is really bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
crow is alright but wow servo is not so hot

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
joel is good too

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

As a Millennial I posted:

ernest cline doesn't just drive a delorean. he drives a delorean that has been modified to look like the car from back to the future. he literally drives around in a cultural reference

to be fair there is literally no other reason at all to drive a delorean

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there were some delorean owners club guys at a car show i went to a few years ago, and boy did they get mad when anyone mentioned back to the future.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sweevo posted:

there were some delorean owners club guys at a car show i went to a few years ago, and boy did they get mad when anyone mentioned back to the future.
how does this make sense even in a slightest :psyduck:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

how does this make sense even in a slightest :psyduck:

deloreans were powerfully appealing to a subset of the "car guy" market from the day they first appeared. they were made of stainless steel, for one thing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

deloreans were powerfully appealing to a subset of the "car guy" market from the day they first appeared. they were made of stainless steel, for one thing
oh, it precedes the movie?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

oh, it precedes the movie?

absolutely:

Marty McFly: Wait a minute. Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?
Dr. Emmett Brown: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some *style?*

they were only available for sale a few years before the movie, but the stainless-steel body and the gull wings were big attention-getters, even among non-car people

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i could certainly see it for the time, especially the stainless steel chassis for the fuel price at a time

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

and coked up 80s executives

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

and coked up 80s executives

nah

delorean only started coke trafficking after sales tanked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the delorean looked cool but the engineering was absolute trash, it was about as credible a sports car as those screaming chicken firebirds from the '70s

• Locked thread