Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
France

France why are you allied with the loving Ottomans and helping them conquer Venice

What are you doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

oddium posted:

the weird part is when you full annex and they don't let you take all the gold. like the last sovereign king is buried with it or something

The king is using all of his political power to squirrel away money for himself and his closest associates

Captain Oblivious posted:

France

France why are you allied with the loving Ottomans and helping them conquer Venice

What are you doing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Ottoman_alliance

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eej posted:

The king is using all of his political power to squirrel away money for himself and his closest associates

Why did I ever trust the frogs :argh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I love how gently caress Austria was a thing in real life as in the game.

Also like perspective Ottoman/Russian alliances they tend to fall apart as you get closer together. The only problem is they'll often just dabble in European Politics to stop you hamstringing France or whomever later.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

algebra testes posted:

Yeah I love how gently caress Austria was a thing in real life as in the game.

Also like perspective Ottoman/Russian alliances they tend to fall apart as you get closer together. The only problem is they'll often just dabble in European Politics to stop you hamstringing France or whomever later.

In my game the Ottomans helped Austria win the Catholic league war, despite the catholics calling crusade after crusade on them earlier. I guess it was just to spite my protestant rear end, after all I stole all the balkans.

Not that it did them much good, I reclaimed greece and I will shortly get Constantinople kicking them back to turkey. Enjoy the middle east you bastards, Europe is my playground

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

At what point does it start to make sense to just take out a handful of loans to embrace an institution? Like say if it's going to cost me an additional 1000 ducats and I'm pulling ~12 ducats per month on average, and it's spreading very slowly in my provinces, and I'm sitting at 35% tech penalty at this point, it seems like it would make sense to just go ahead and buy it out immediately with 3-4 loans.

But I dunno if there are any general rules to follow in regards to that, like if you should always get them ASAP or maybe wait a bit if you aren't too far behind (and your tech levels are ahead anyway, for example). Kind of similarly not sure about if you should beeline to start spreading by doing development ASAP as soon as a new one pops up or not.

Oh also, if you are fully annexing another country, you can still take ducats from them, is there any reason NOT to do that other than inflation I guess? Just seems kinda funny that you are claiming everything anyway, where's the money come from? :v:

I prefer devaluing my currency these days instead of loans, especially if you have any modifiers that reduce corruption. If you have some of the ideas that reduce interest then loans are probably preferable. I haven't done the math on any of it. These are just my feelings and I eagerly await finding out I'm thinking about it all wrong.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

In my game the Ottomans helped Austria win the Catholic league war, despite the catholics calling crusade after crusade on them earlier. I guess it was just to spite my protestant rear end, after all I stole all the balkans.

Not that it did them much good, I reclaimed greece and I will shortly get Constantinople kicking them back to turkey. Enjoy the middle east you bastards, Europe is my playground

Haha that's great.

In my game as Brittany every time I, Spain + Commonwealth/Great Britain would try and put France away they'd just great power war join and invade the commonwealth, make them peace out and then come and kick our asses in Europe. It was on one hand, super frustrating, but on the other, like really savvy play stopping the giant European Alliance from becoming a juggernaut.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like this isn't supposed to be able to happen.

Also, Burgundy is completely busted powerful in this current patch. It is 1610 and France are down to 3 provinces and I'm in the process of eating Castile and Aragon with vassals.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AI Burgundy is also mega-powerful. I'm playing Mali and got pretty excited about securing an alliance with France to help me fight Spain/Portugal until I discovered more of Europe and found that France was getting eaten by a Burgundy/Britanny/Britain alliance. They also helped me destroy France in my Aragon game.

Neither time, the Burgundian inheritance fired which used to happen pretty much every game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Eej posted:

I like how Francis I seems to be really into the onion on SUleiman's head

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Does Poland ever go with the commonwealth anymore? Last few games they just let Russia and the Ottomans eat Lithuania.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Chump Farts posted:

Does Poland ever go with the commonwealth anymore? Last few games they just let Russia and the Ottomans eat Lithuania.

Pretty sure it's the same 75% chance for Poland to PU them as it's been for a while. Going off a sample of way too many Perm restarts.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Chump Farts posted:

Furthermore, can it happen if it doesn't happen in the first 30 years or so? Is there a window of opportunity? :shrug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Furthermore, can it happen if it doesn't happen in the first 30 years or so? Is there a window of opportunity? :shrug:

No. There's a MTTH of 12 months, but it can only happen before 1450. As far as I know the event always fires even if Poland makes the "hurrdurr let's not become a great power but instead, sink slowly into irrelevance" choice, it's not like Burgundian inheritance where if the Burgundians play it safe or get lucky they can just avoid the event.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I stole all of the caribbean from Portugal but it didn't give me the achievement no pirates in my caribbean. What gives? Maybe they still haven't cored it all? It's been like 50 years...

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TorakFade posted:

I stole all of the caribbean from Portugal but it didn't give me the achievement no pirates in my caribbean. What gives? Maybe they still haven't cored it all? It's been like 50 years...

Did you get Bermuda too? You need it for the achievement even though it's not in the colonial nation.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baron Corbyn posted:

Did you get Bermuda too? You need it for the achievement even though it's not in the colonial nation.
Curacao (Spelling?) down by the mainland, too.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Baron Corbyn posted:

Oh.

Sorry england I have to come up and pillage your capital and kill all your young soldiers - again. Just like when I needed your mexican CN. You see now I really, really need this tiny rock in the middle of the ocean for... Reasons.

(let's hope I can fabricate a claim and they accept a threaten war, it's 1790 and I really don't have time for a full on war. Curacao is already mine, I have almost all of Colombia and Mexico)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Oh.

Sorry england I have to come up and pillage your capital and kill all your young soldiers - again. Just like when I needed your mexican CN. You see now I really, really need this tiny rock in the middle of the ocean for... Reasons.

(let's hope they accept a threaten war, it's 1790 and I really don't have time for a full on war. Curacao is already mine, I have almost all of Colombia and Mexico)

Bermuda will probably only cost 1-2% warscore unless they've developed it for some reason, so you should be able to peace out fairly early if that's all you need.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Baron Corbyn posted:

Bermuda will probably only cost 1-2% warscore unless they've developed it for some reason, so you should be able to peace out fairly early if that's all you need.

Yeah, managed to squeeze that in, made them release scotland and wales for fun, and grabbed a few provinces off bohemia and HRE minors, made borders a little prettier.

Final score 17950 or so, not bad at all! Will post final worldstate later, the final stats have some weird funny bugs.84 wars won, 0 lost:getin:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So I've never really played Austria before, despite hundreds of hours of play time. HRE membership is based on the capital right? If I take Paris, add it to the empire, then return it, will all of France follow or what?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

So I've never really played Austria before, despite hundreds of hours of play time. HRE membership is based on the capital right? If I take Paris, add it to the empire, then return it, will all of France follow or what?

This might be considered a bug, but what you can do is take Paris, core it and add it to the empire. After you take it they will pick a different capital. Then you return/sell Paris back to France, and in the next war take their current capital in the war. Once you take their current capital they should default back to Paris which is part of the HRE and they are now in the HRE.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thanks. Its a moot point since the English nabbed Paris first and won't transfer occupation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Argh, I'm conflicted on whether to pick up Naval for my final military idea justfor the Naval+Influence policy (+1 merchant and caravan power) because I'm making a disgusting amount of trade as Lubeck and sending it into overdrive sounds fun, or just doing the boring but smart thing of picking Offensive ideas since I'm already brawling with the Commonwealth and they just allied France after their last asskicking.

I already have Quantity and am second only to the Ottomans for total force limit (which I can easily afford at full military spending, with a shitload of cash still coming in), but only have Plutocratic and Defensive ideas for my military boosters. I wonder if just sending an infinite horde of mercenaries at my enemies will be enough to win, even if they die by the hundreds...

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Argh, I'm conflicted on whether to pick up Naval for my final military idea justfor the Naval+Influence policy (+1 merchant and caravan power) because I'm making a disgusting amount of trade as Lubeck and sending it into overdrive sounds fun, or just doing the boring but smart thing of picking Offensive ideas since I'm already brawling with the Commonwealth and they just allied France after their last asskicking.

I already have Quantity and am second only to the Ottomans for total force limit (which I can easily afford at full military spending, with a shitload of cash still coming in), but only have Plutocratic and Defensive ideas for my military boosters. I wonder if just sending an infinite horde of mercenaries at my enemies will be enough to win, even if they die by the hundreds...

Offensive for the +20% siege. The part that sucks the most in the late game is sieging the lvl 8 forts. You could stack wipe the entire enemy army in the first few days, and then spend 3 years sieging it all down.

It's not very historical: in the Napoleonic wars, forts hardly mattered.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

toasterwarrior posted:

Naval is terrible. One merchant isn't worth the couple thousand military points you would have to spend just to have the option to enact the policy. Offensive and Quality would both be vastly superior uses of your MP, but I would take just about any other idea group over Naval in any circumstance I can think of.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bah. Fill out Naval, and Maritime, and take a screenshot and post it to rub it into people's faces. :)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Offensive is a better idea group than Quality just from the idea bonuses themselves, but if you have any of the idea groups that combo with Quality, the policies are really where that one shines. (Offensive + Quality is actually one of the best for +20% infantry combat ability.)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Quorum posted:

Offensive is a better idea group than Quality just from the idea bonuses themselves, but if you have any of the idea groups that combo with Quality, the policies are really where that one shines. (Offensive + Quality is actually one of the best for +20% infantry combat ability.)
That's the Innovative + Quality policy. The Offensive + Innovative policy is +10% Siege ability and +1 Leader Siege.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Quorum posted:

Policies really make your armies devastating. I had +1 siege pip and +10% siege ability, +20% infantry ability, +10% artillery ability and +5% discipline on top of the bonuses from offensive, defensive and quality. Add in protestant/reformed buffs and if applicable NI buffs and almost any nation can get super soldiers if they have like 4 military monarch points to spare

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Innovative is so bad as an Idea Group but the policies are so good which makes me always come back to it to try and figure out how to make it work.

It doesn't work unless you are playing a country that is already ahead of everyone else by the way.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Man, I love how this game rewards patience and opportunism. France got dragged into two hellwars against Austria, Britain, Poland and half the world. Italy is mine, Tuscany is alone, and I'll just pretend I don't want the tip of the boot at all.

The only issue with achievements is now that I've made Italy, I almost want to bail on the run in 1630.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Eej posted:

Innovative is so bad as an Idea Group but the policies are so good which makes me always come back to it to try and figure out how to make it work.

It doesn't work unless you are playing a country that is already ahead of everyone else by the way.

Innovative is a pseudo mil (+1 leader, passive war exhaustion, prestige) combined with two powerful bonuses of 5% off all tech and 25% cheaper advisers lets you rake in MP really quickly even with a smaller economy.

Innovative also unlocks very useful events with positive events giving you 5-10% additional tech discounts, +50 MP of a random variety, new advisers, or even corruption reduction, and the only negative events are -1 stab or -10 prestige

On top of all that Muslim rulers with completed innovative ideas can enact a decision to get 5% discount on ideas for their lifetime.

All in all it isn't amazing but there are some edge cases where innovative is a very strong choice.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Chump Farts posted:

Man, I love how this game rewards patience and opportunism. France got dragged into two hellwars against Austria, Britain, Poland and half the world. Italy is mine, Tuscany is alone, and I'll just pretend I don't want the tip of the boot at all.

The only issue with achievements is now that I've made Italy, I almost want to bail on the run in 1630.

Don't bail, it's tremendously funny. This is the 1821 final state of my Naples -> Italy run (France, Sweden & Russia are my 100 trust BFFs - cheers to Cyprus, burgundy and Genoa for surviving until the very end despite overwhelmingly negative odds):

by the end I had so much money that I built the Panama canal for fun, took over thousands of ducats of debt of anybody I liked, and was keeping 2 full stacks of mercs (including cavalry&artillery) permanenty on rebel suppression to kill off the endless rebellions in my CNs. Also some crazy stuff happened apparently, like a queen ruling for 1445 years, and me killing almost 1 million people each year for 400 years:

and apparently getting 184 provinces stolen even if I never lost a war and I'm pretty sure I never ever gave up a province - maybe it's counting provinces that were turned over to CNs after peace deals? I got the whole Caribbean, 1/3rd of Colombia and most of Mexico that way. Also 176 ship/year lost and 230 ships/year killed? What the gently caress? Those look more like overall campaign stats, not yearly

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 22, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

420 Gank Mid posted:

Innovative is a pseudo mil (+1 leader, passive war exhaustion, prestige) combined with two powerful bonuses of 5% off all tech and 25% cheaper advisers lets you rake in MP really quickly even with a smaller economy.

Innovative also unlocks very useful events with positive events giving you 5-10% additional tech discounts, +50 MP of a random variety, new advisers, or even corruption reduction, and the only negative events are -1 stab or -10 prestige

On top of all that Muslim rulers with completed innovative ideas can enact a decision to get 5% discount on ideas for their lifetime.

All in all it isn't amazing but there are some edge cases where innovative is a very strong choice.

Establishing an Ibadat Khana is actually a decision that lasts until the state religion is changed so it's even better than once a ruler.

Anyway, the +1 leader is really meh since you can teleport generals around as needed (unless you're a really big country, but see previous caveat about starting as a big country) and I know that Innovative has some nice stuff but it's still really hard to compare it to Admin/Religious/Economic/Humanist. Which I guess means it has an edge on Expansionist if you're not colonizing by land. I do like the idea of Innovative, especially for Muslims but still, hard to recommend unless you know what you're doing.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eej posted:

Anyway, the +1 leader is really meh since you can teleport generals around as needed (unless you're a really big country, but see previous caveat about starting as a big country) and I know that Innovative has some nice stuff but it's still really hard to compare it to Admin/Religious/Economic/Humanist. Which I guess means it has an edge on Expansionist if you're not colonizing by land. I do like the idea of Innovative, especially for Muslims but still, hard to recommend unless you know what you're doing.

If you want to do constant war, the -0.05 monthly WE idea is amazing. I got Innovative as 3rd idea group and I never ever had WE since, always stuck at 0. Diplo points aren't the most valuable so reducing WE isn't a big deal most of the time, but even just forgetting about doing it leads to pretty nasty penalties and unrest.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eej posted:

It's not, though, it's just hard to see the monarch points saved/earned by Innovative when you don't do the math. Innovative's benefits are significant but more difficult to realize without close examination

The WE reduction is insanely good.

The mercenary maintenance reduction isn't flashy but that's equivalent to simply having more access to a bottomless manpower pool.

Prestige decay is underrated now that you can constantly reroll bad heirs

-5% tech costs is very good

-25% advisor costs is useful for getting +3 advisors sooner

In your average game I think it's not as good as most of the other admin picks, but that's just because most of the other admin picks are insanely good in most games; the group itself is very good overall

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
My problem with it is it's dramatically more useful the earlier you take it, but there are pretty much always objectively more important things to pick early on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Definitely, Innovative is only really good if taken early, so it's niche and only worth choosing in some starts. In an Ethiopian game for instance I think it's better than Administrative and Religious for an early-game choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ah, I see the Ottomans are allied with France, Tunis, and Muscovy. Alright. :suicide:

Thanks for the tips on institutions, it was pretty much exactly what I was figuring.

What about for moving your capital for Trade purposes, when's the right time to do so? My Zanzibar node is making more money as my non-primary than my Ethiopian primary, despite having a smaller portion of trade power. Good time to move it over yeah?

• Locked thread