Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Rodi frame is the best IBO grunt, don't @ me.

e: A shameful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

My mind immediately just blurted “You can’t defend!!” reflexively

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bloody Pom posted:

The Rodi frame is the best IBO grunt, don't @ me.

Can I @ you to agree? I love the Rodi's chunky design, and think it makes a refreshing change from the rather svelte frames of a lot of Gundam designs. Many of which are great too, mind, but the Rodi is cool partially because it goes against that grain. I preferred the Gusion when it had a Rodi style design as well, and think the Rebake and Full City are kind of ugly looking frankly. Though really, I think it's just the awkward looking skirt hanging off it's arse, because it just looks out of place given it's comparative size.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 27, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

What I would give for a proper new game in that series

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

The Geirail is the Graze's predecessor and basically a Graze variant, since it features so little compared to the Graze and both the Shiden and Hekija are Hyakuren variants according to the Wikia. I had forgotten the Hyakuren was even a thing though, and didn't even know the Hugo was there at all so I'm wrong regardless.

The Shiden is a new frame descended from the Hyakuren frame, like the Graze is a descendant of the Valkyrie. It's the first entirely original non-Gjallarhorn Mobile Suit frame since the Calamity war, even though it's descended from the previous Teiwaz models.

The way you can see the lines of descent for most Mobile Suits in IBO is neat. It's also neat that most Mobile Suits aren't as good as the baseline mook suit.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
G-Reco has extremely strong suit designs all around, even if i don't know what almost any of them are called. IBO is definitely high tier in terms of grunts and being able to see the lines of suits being distinct as mentioned is super neat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Rebake gets a pass because it's supposed to be weird, ugly, and cobbled-together. It has feet sticking out of its shoulders that have extra arms hidden inside them, for Christ's sake.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

The Shiden is a new frame descended from the Hyakuren frame, like the Graze is a descendant of the Valkyrie. It's the first entirely original non-Gjallarhorn Mobile Suit frame since the Calamity war, even though it's descended from the previous Teiwaz models.

The way you can see the lines of descent for most Mobile Suits in IBO is neat. It's also neat that most Mobile Suits aren't as good as the baseline mook suit.

Kinda like how in Wing literally every Mobile Suit is descended from the Tallgeese in one form or another

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

G-Reco has extremely strong suit designs all around, even if i don't know what almost any of them are called. IBO is definitely high tier in terms of grunts and being able to see the lines of suits being distinct as mentioned is super neat.

G-Reco's grunts are fantastic, I miss my old SD Grimoire av :(

I really hope the movies result in more Gunpla kits from the setting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Grimoires are best grunts.

Also the Scopedog-Grimoire kitbash looks amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G-Reco unironically has my favorite designs in a Gundam series in aaaage. Since pre-SEED at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finished IBO (big spoilers for other weirdos who are getting into Gundam late like me) I’m glad that Mikazuki realized that the place they were headed was all the friends he made along the way, normally that would feel cheesy but IBO was pretty goddamn bleak so my good weird boy dying happy with his dream realized and most of his friends safe felt bittersweet. Honestly the ending turned out way better than I thought it would, I didn’t want anyone to die but they mostly died happy

Like someone else said it would be real cool if they did a sequel but it might be a hard sell without a lot of robot fights. Origin got away with not having a lot of mech fights though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Origin had the benefit of being a spinoff/variant of a story that has already been told and has tons of merch to sell out there. Making a new story about Char Aznable and the rise of Zeon means you get to sell tons of your existing Char Aznable merch and Zeon gunpla, and you bet your rear end that they made new gunpla of the Origin versions of several mobile suits.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They also inserted mobile suits in to Origin when it wasn't really something the setting needed or was known for at the time, since mobile suits were supposed to have been pretty much an invention that debuted in the One Year War. Even as a manga story, Yaz was putting in mobile suits to help the action flow rather than using traditional military platforms or other means to create tension.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they were willing enough to continue IBO via whatever that mobage is that i haven't heard about for like a year lol

maybe someday anime would happen based on that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They have the spin-off IBO Rekko, it's about some gundam pilot working for a female mob boss

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

tsob posted:

They also inserted mobile suits in to Origin when it wasn't really something the setting needed or was known for at the time, since mobile suits were supposed to have been pretty much an invention that debuted in the One Year War. Even as a manga story, Yaz was putting in mobile suits to help the action flow rather than using traditional military platforms or other means to create tension.
I've never had any problem with the MS development retconning in Origin. The super robot style Operation V trio makes sense for the time period the show was made in, but it's nice to see a what-if realization of the original series for more modern sci-fi tastes.

Tae posted:

They have the spin-off IBO Rekko, it's about some gundam pilot working for a female mob boss

The problem with Gekko is it really underutilizes the setting. It's like the author already had an idea for a Gundam manga and his editor told him it has to be IBO related so he did the bare minimum to connect the two.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 28, 2020

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

dogsicle posted:

they were willing enough to continue IBO via whatever that mobage is that i haven't heard about for like a year lol

maybe someday anime would happen based on that

Yeah, does anybody know what the hell is happening with Uror Hunt?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

AtheistMantis posted:

Yeah, does anybody know what the hell is happening with Uror Hunt?

As far as I can tell, it hasn't been released yet. The most recent information I can find is from September, where the announced that the game will have 3D graphics and showed a couple shots of that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Not to mention there had been all sorts of retcons regarding Mobile Suit development for both the Federation and Zeon long before The Origin came out anyways

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I will find the RX-78-8. One day.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

I will find the RX-78-8. One day.

Does make one wonder what niche they could give that one that wouldn't overlap too much with most of the other RX-78 variants and offshoots, only major one I can think of would be maybe something Psycommu related but they seem really hesitant about giving the Federation anything in that area of MS development prior to the Psycho Gundam family's development

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
The only "Psycommu" unit the Feds need in the OYW is the GM Juggler.

I love that beautiful disaster.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

As far as I can tell, it hasn't been released yet. The most recent information I can find is from September, where the announced that the game will have 3D graphics and showed a couple shots of that

They're releasing a model kit for the Calamity War version of the main Mobile Suit from the game next month, for whatever that's worth.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

drrockso20 posted:

Does make one wonder what niche they could give that one that wouldn't overlap too much with most of the other RX-78 variants and offshoots, only major one I can think of would be maybe something Psycommu related but they seem really hesitant about giving the Federation anything in that area of MS development prior to the Psycho Gundam family's development

Well, the easy answer is it is the Alex. But that’s not exactly what the canon is, so the quest continues.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Give me more Formula Gundams.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

They could give tank treads another try

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MonsieurChoc posted:

Give me more Formula Gundams.

The red car crashes three times faster than your average car.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
What really need are some more Pre-pre-preproduction GMs, perhaps made literally seconds after the first Zaku 1 left the factory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

They could give tank treads another try

Clearly we need a new HGUC G-Armor.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
finished G-Reco the other day, loved it. bummed it'll probably get tossed in the series trash bin like Victory and X but hopeful the movies redeem it to people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

finished G-Reco the other day, loved it. bummed it'll probably get tossed in the series trash bin like Victory and X but hopeful the movies redeem it to people.

I lvoe all those seires. :smith:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i haven't watched Victory or X, but see them all the time being blown off as "lesser" shows. never trust the internet, cause they all said G-Reco was unwatchable garbage and it kicked rear end.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
X is pretty unremarkable honestly. I forgot just about everything in that show as soon as I had finished watching it. Victory, on the other hand, was like a traumatic experience. It's like if Gundam was a horror anime. There's a couple scenes in it that still make me feel a little uncomfortable to think about just because they're so horrible.

I'd definitely recommend it if you've got a lot of time with nothing better to do (bus rides and elliptical at the gym in my case) and you don't mind feeling bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Victory is good and has one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise Reinforce Jr.but it's very grim and has some weird gender stuff that turns some people off. X is just kinda mediocre.

But yeah G-Reco is fantastic

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
G-Reco's only real flaws are it requires your full attention 100% of the time for subtle details, and it's about 30-35 episodes of story crammed into 26.

It's a good show.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the X and Double X Satellite cannons and G-Bits.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I'd definitely recommend it if you've got a lot of time with nothing better to do (bus rides and elliptical at the gym in my case) and you don't mind feeling bad.

currently unemployed and love feeling bad! i'll give it a shot.

G-Reco is for sure an "active watching" show. my roommate tried to watch it too and she bounced off in about 3 episodes because it never slows down or says anything twice. most anime goes way too far in assuming the viewer is a moron with a goldfish memory, and maybe G-Reco is a little too trusting on the other end, but it worked for me just fine. my biggest complaint is that the 'endgame' mobile suits didn't get to do a whole lot. G-Lucifer, Dahack, and Trinity kinda got screwed

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I liked Victory too. It has some really weird parts and very questionable choices with a lot of the female characters but it was never boring and had excellent mech designs. Chronicle is one of the big issues for me but Katejina is an excellent antagonist and Uso is really likable. Plus Duker Iq, bringing back the ancient art of motorcycles and motorcycle based designs that are actually incredibly effective. I'd definitely recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

G-Reco's only real flaws are it requires your full attention 100% of the time for subtle details, and it's about 30-35 episodes of story crammed into 26.

It's a good show.

I'm sorry, but the scene explaining what Kuntala were really cut down on my ability to sympathize with that argument.

The show has Mask, a Kuntala, explain the concept to his all Kuntala squad, and they are all surprised.

I mean, come on, man. That was possibly the clumsiest exposition dump I'd seen in my life, and I've seen some howlers.

Beyond that, the show's got a major problem with its fight scenes. It's not that they're badly done per se. They're well animated, with cool MS designs and clever ideas. The problem is that there's one every episode, and most of them don't really matter. Nothing changes in the plot because of the battle. It's just a lot of time in the episode eaten up and some nameless extras blown up.