Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FFS those rules are for images they offer as free, which this one isn't. Also uhhhhhhhhhh you don't get a watermark on an image you went through the proper channels to download, free or not. :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well actually...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Typically Star Citizens posts are made with lies of their own design before the final approved message from CIG, when they're replaced with the final lie.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Discussing this stuff online with utter morons as a person who uses this stuff weekly is unbelievably infuriating

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

MeLKoR posted:

That's something that always makes me laugh when the shillizens start fapping on how CIG will make "goon style playing" impossible when goons inevitably come crawling back. They're going to ban piracy I imagine? But anyway... if everything were as interconnected as they dream goons could gently caress the Verse good and proper just by loving up the economy. I'm sure we could come up with perfectly legal/legitimate ways to manipulate the market that not even Ortwin could predict.

This is actually something they did describe a little. The economy is completely fixed. They say people can only affect prices of goods in a range +/-10% of base or something. Of course, in reality that just means the prices are permanently at the base price +/-10% with no range between because how the gently caress are they going to properly set the actual base value of things in a capitalist market with any accuracy?

..Unless they have some brilliant plan for that too! That must be the tech people keep talking about CIG selling. SQ42 as a bread winner be damned, CIG will be trillionaires.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

D_Smart posted:

No clue wtf they're going on about, but those images (as evidenced by the date), were taken back in 2008 at our own house.

Did you have any properties you own that you had tenants or what ever foreclosed on?

Time for a MoMA rant: MoMA! What were your sources again? Why did you gently caress that one up so bad? Why did you slink away without referencing it at all after Derek proved you wrong? You just spent ages researching it and preparing your paragraphs of sick burns. I especially like the way you tried to stage it in a way where you would give the start of your damning information, have Derek reply, catching him in his own lies when you drop the actual truth bomb right after!

Sorry for not replying before; Derek still knows exactly who you are if you have given even a tiny hint or trace. Think what you will about Derek, it is other people he pays to dig up dirt. After seeing that recent thread on doxxing that sort of poo poo terrifies me. It should at least worry you given your crusade. You're not on equal footing in your back and forth. DS be crazy and has been doing this poo poo his whole spergy life.

Can't you just chill and join in the fun. We have seen you can act like a normal person plenty of times.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Please remember guys, don't make my mistake and blow your stack over an idiotizen. Just stop, take a deep breath, count to five, and remember that these simple minded fucks gave $140m+ to a man that looks like he still has to wear a bib at the dinner table, and think that he's personally making the greatest game that will ever exist, despite the overwhelming evidence that it will never even ever be feature complete, let alone released.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Xaerael posted:

Please remember guys, don't make my mistake and blow your stack over an idiotizen. Just stop, take a deep breath, count to five, and remember that these simple minded fucks gave $140m+ to a man that looks like he still has to wear a bib at the dinner table, and think that he's personally making the greatest game that will ever exist, despite the overwhelming evidence that it will never even ever be feature complete, let alone released.

I'm now picturing his personal chef bringing a bib to him and putting it on for him because he can't do it himself.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

radd posted:

Way back, when limited Alpha slots were a thing, one of the stretch goals was an increase in Alpha slots (read: don't want to stop new money coming in), and the reason was they were going to use the increase in funding to implement more servers including one in Australia.

There were lots of Australian backers that pledged or increased their existing stake because of this, since we are a long way from anywhere and have notoriously bad latency in games. An online game with Australian servers is a rare thing indeed.

However, when they did add server expansion, our 'Australian server' ended up being located in Singapore, and many backers were really pissed off with this.

Quite a few of the refunded Aussies have used a breaking of this promise as justification under Australian Consumer Law for a refund, since is is a clear documented promise that CIG made and had already delivered in a manner contrary to the promise.

I wonder if this new Australian server is implemented as a means to push back against Australians refunding on this basis.

In terms of managing perceptions, it could slow refunds. In terms of actual law, CIG already and will continue to have to refund to any Australian that wants one. Considering the constant breach of agreements, I am not sure even releasing the game would prevent full refunds being required. Which must be nice for the whales there.

Cygmelion and now this guy are both Australian, then. Along with Sandi. Lots of explaining to do. Must be the water. Or solar radiation for being on the wrong side of the planet.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ComfyPants posted:

I'm now picturing his personal chef bringing a bib to him and putting it on for him because he can't do it himself.

The chef slowly approaches Roberts, bib floating awkwardly in his weirdly posed hands as he vibrates through the table. Stretching his entire body around, furiously crouching and uncrouching searching the expanse of Chris's wattle for the use dialogue. Victorious, the canned animation starts playing as the chef clips romantically through Roberts chest.

As the animation ends and the chef enters a T pose, he notices, while falling through the floor, the Z-fighting between the bib and Chris's shirt. A single tear rolls down rolls down his cheek as he mouths the word 'fidelity'.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I dunno why Tark and co are going so hard to try to prove it's not stolen on this one (cause they're stupid I guess), cause even if we argue in one direction and they argue in another the only opinion that matters is that of the image's owner (who has apparently been informed), and if they do believe that's their stuff then it's up to CIG to respond to resultant communication and should no accord be reached (CIG would probably just throw someone under a bus we'll see) then the final opinion that matters is that of the courts. I find it much more likely that we'll just see the image get changed to something stolen from somewhere else and move on until the new stolen origin is located. This isn't something that gets tried in the court of public opinion like "the game runs like hot rear end" or "Is this game ever going to come out?" or "Derek Smart is outside trying to eat my car because I like Star Citizen"

All the high fiving and "TAKE THAT GOONIES" doesn't matter, because all the free shilling effort in the world won't matter if the owner of the image decides it is in fact their property. They certainly won't be on Reddit checking the Star Citizen and Derek Smart Stalking Asylum subreddits to determine that. If they do we probably won't even hear about it anyway, much the same if they don't. By the time anything happens 3.0 will have missed another five deadlines and it won't matter.

Sillybones posted:

Cygmelion and now this guy are both Australian, then. Along with Sandi. Lots of explaining to do. Must be the water. Or solar radiation for being on the wrong side of the planet.

Don't go there mate.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I remember Echelon from the Commodore era. It was so big, and I recall areas that the screen would freeze for several seconds before drawing a new frame. I never got too far, but I think I found a few cool story bits.

Crikey! Stop being me. Although, given what I paid for it, I am happy to see at least ONE other person played it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

This "best price" graphic thing just shows how slow a lot of you are.

CIG did not steal the image, what has happened is that the in game shop owner has stole the image in game to use in his store, the watermark is just CIG showing how good their fidelity is because they have it on the image because the store owner stole it and that's the fidelidous thing to do and part of Chris amazing story telling.

As if CIG would be less than the best computer game company ever, since it was a little startup.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I dunno why Tark and co are going so hard to try to prove it's not stolen on this one (cause they're stupid I guess), cause even if we argue in one direction and they argue in another the only opinion that matters is that of the image's owner (who has apparently been informed), and if they do believe that's their stuff then it's up to CIG to respond to resultant communication and should no accord be reached (CIG would probably just throw someone under a bus we'll see) then the final opinion that matters is that of the courts. I find it much more likely that we'll just see the image get changed to something stolen from somewhere else and move on until the new stolen origin is located. This isn't something that gets tried in the court of public opinion like "the game runs like hot rear end" or "Is this game ever going to come out?" or "Derek Smart is outside trying to eat my car because I like Star Citizen"

All the high fiving and "TAKE THAT GOONIES" doesn't matter, because all the free shilling effort in the world won't matter if the owner of the image decides it is in fact their property. They certainly won't be on Reddit checking the Star Citizen and Derek Smart Stalking Asylum subreddits to determine that. If they do we probably won't even hear about it anyway, much the same if they don't. By the time anything happens 3.0 will have missed another five deadlines and it won't matter.

They're broken people. If goons are right about the image being stolen (it's obviously stolen) then it's possible they're not constantly lying to discredit crobbler and his lovely game. Clearly, on some level, they recognize it's stolen, unless they are actually mentally disabled and incapable of recognizing something that kindergartners do (the image's owner's name is on it, therefore it is theirs). If they actually are in such a mental state, I'm frankly impressed they're able to type at such a level and so prolifically, it must be a hell of a burden on them.

In their worldview, goons being factually, provably, correct about any single issue with their lovely game opens up the gates to the possibility that goons aren't just a faceless, malicious force out to get them and only them in their pretend hugboxes. Even starting to approach the possibility that goons might be right about something as minor as a single texture being stolen causes them to have an immediate reaction to try and come up with and/or justify every other possibility, some several times over and over, without ever coming to the conclusion that those darn goons were right about any single thing in the universe, never mind in their perfect video game.

gently caress it, if they were watching the news and the weatherman ended his forecast "and I am a goon from somethingawful dot com", they're going to immediately do the complete loving opposite of what that weatherman says. They'll be the only ones walking around in the middle of the loving summer dressed for a blizzard, and congratulating themselves for how smart they are for outwitting that dastardly goon. These people need to get their money out of jpegs and put it into therapy.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Kosumo posted:

CIG did not steal the image, what has happened is that the in game shop owner has stole the image in game to use in his store, the watermark is just CIG showing how good their fidelity is because they have it on the image because the store owner stole it and that's the fidelidous thing to do and part of Chris amazing story telling.
Incredible work on CIG's part, turns out their AI is quite far along after all.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Did they even read the thing they posted? It says video game right there, not what ever he said. What part of Star Citizen is not a video game?.. oh..

Reading the link they posted makes it pretty clear the website doesn't want you to steal their stuff without paying.

Beet Wagon posted:

Well actually...

It's almost like they are being intentionally dishonest. Or maybe it is just an accident they picked out the one sentence in three that almost could be taken as supporting their madness.

Beet Wagon posted:

FFS those rules are for images they offer as free, which this one isn't. Also uhhhhhhhhhh you don't get a watermark on an image you went through the proper channels to download, free or not. :psypop:

I think it is for all images. They are all royalty free. I think.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This is a good catte, where do i get one

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Achmed posted:

This is a good catte, where do i get one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e01068Mm6m4

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Really do need to take Xaerael's advice. Reading this poo poo created a primal monkey rage.

Can someone buy a blimp or something with a big screen that just shows examples of games with more open development? Fly it around until everyone gets caught up with the past decade of games development. Or a reddit post or something. Then I don't have to be angry all the time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Scruffyhawk posted:

While reading this thread I'll randomly and for no reason recall the mental imagery of a grilled cheese sandwich being pulled apart. I think I've been permanently damaged.

Why would anyone pull apart a grilled cheese? Just eat it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sillybones posted:

Is Chris in jail yet?

Very unlikely to ever happen. It'll just be "welp we tried but ran out of money."

Being criminally stupid is not generally criminally actionable for a private company. Even for public companies the bar is pretty high.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

peter gabriel posted:

Discussing this stuff online with utter morons as a person who uses this stuff weekly is unbelievably infuriating
I love seeing them consistently argue that the presence of a watermark on the image doesn't mean it's stolen even though the only purpose of putting watermarks on images is to identify ones that have been stolen.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

scrubs season six posted:

Why would anyone pull apart a grilled cheese? Just eat it.

Paging Pope Corky, you're needed in the mental scarring ward

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

That DisturbedJim guy on Reddit totally has a crush on Derek. He constantly sexualizes him in his posts.

CIG making regional servers is pretty much just them changing a couple check boxes on their AWS contract, isn't it?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sillybones posted:

I'm thinking he's just happy about regional servers because "CHECKMATE GOONIES LOOKS LIKE SC IS BEING WORKED ON!!!!!!!!". Australia does have a small hard right libertarian community but they're pretty few and far between.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm a special little snowflake. Ask anyone. They'll say the same.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

XK posted:

CIG making regional servers is pretty much just them changing a couple check boxes on their AWS contract, isn't it?

You need to program the game to support multiple server zones. It can be as fancy or simple as you like. From the sounds of it, CIG is putting in the least amount of work to get it working. A pop up asks you which region you want to join, and the client connects to that region's matchmaking server.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tokamak posted:

You need to program the game to support multiple server zones. It can be as fancy or simple as you like. From the sounds of it, CIG is putting in the least amount of work to get it working. A pop up asks you which region you want to join, and the client connects to that region's matchmaking server.

So how long will the player count justify AUS servers? It's gonna be ghost town after a couple weeks

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rMTLjqnfBk&t=450s

:gary:

3.0 fades into the distance.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

12x12 is a lot of fun currently.

Did you mean 4 v 4?

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/827692471865925632

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So how long will the player count justify AUS servers? It's gonna be ghost town after a couple weeks

I imagine they have something like one matchmaking server, and the rest of them are GameLift servers that are spun up whenever there's demand. So it would actually be cheaper if people didn't play the game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You can already connect to a server from various regions; it's already in the game! :arghfist::saddowns:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Maybe she means a foosball tournament?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Star Citizen sucks so bad that we play foosball instead. Remember when ID played air hockey instead of doing deathmatches while developing Doom?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

"Hey fucktards, this is how we spend your money!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004