Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mercury Hat posted:

Not a spoiler: he calls her "woman" in part 2.

That doesn't prove anything! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Cool, Annie is the forest is pretty great.

I can understand Annie's entitlement. And having such a nasty flaw that most graphic works would shy away from in making a likable protagonist without moralizing and having her learn a lesson about it immediately is interesting. She was pretty much all alone for a lot of her life and doesn't understand the give and take of social actions. Maybe now is when she'll learn.

To be honest, I really didn't find Annie a likeable person until pretty recently!

I like all her awkward teen feelings towards Kamlen in this little adventure, it's pretty hilarious.

Kikas posted:

Please tell me that the paper version is in full color.
And that I am not the only one who imagines that Khepi has a thick scottish accent.

I'm always banging on about how the river Annan is in Scotland so this makes perfect sense! :scotland:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Hey, back on this page Coyote called Renard a god. What exactly is he a god of?

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

He might be calling Renard a god because of his new body taking ability, just to get him pumped up.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Eh, he might have meant that compared to other lesser beings, he is much closer to a God, like coyote himself. Also he was encouraging him to do something horrible, you know, for laffs.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Nature? Foxes? Lockpicks? You don't really need a specific remit that you're actively involved in to be a god generally, "excessively powerful magic thing" pretty much covers it for most polytheism, and later the anthropologists can boil your legends down to your one or two most distinctive traits.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Annie is one of my least favorite characters in the comic, but I think her jerkiness about the cleaning is really more of her grumpy-hormonal-teenager-ness and just a little bit of venting than anything else, as elsewhere in the comic she seemed far too polite to act that way. Also bear in mind us peasants who didn't have the money to buy the books are only reading the first one, so I'd probably expect her to settle into it more in the second half.

As for the latest comic, I'm sort of expecting her attitude to be about feeling suddenly excluded from part of Kat's life now than any type of homophobia, since unless she has some weird, hyper-literal type of opinions about sexuality, any kind of actual bigotry seems like it'd feel really out of place for her to me.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Renard is a trickster god like Coyote, and a powerful animal god like Ysengrin, but a little less than either of the two. Coyote showed the man dying in the desert elevating the coyote waiting to eat him into godhood; In colder climates the same would be considered of a pack of wolves. Foxes don't eat people quite as much; they're more likely to just inconvenience people by doing things like stealing their chickens and evading their hounds. He's a god, but a lesser god, because humans don't ascribe as much power to him.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Safari Disco Lion posted:

As for the latest comic, I'm sort of expecting her attitude to be about feeling suddenly excluded from part of Kat's life now than any type of homophobia, since unless she has some weird, hyper-literal type of opinions about sexuality, any kind of actual bigotry seems like it'd feel really out of place for her to me.

Yeah, I can't really see Annie having the hardcore "gays are evil/unnatural" bullshit mindset, although I could see her having just like the young teen discomfort with something new/unfamiliar/unknown. Just sort of big emotional shock to her system, where she's re-evaluating what she thought she knew about Kat, and their relationship both in the past and moving forward. So hopefully she just needs some time to readjust, maybe talk about things and stuff, and then she'll remember that Kat built an anti-gravity car and saved her from an angry ghost and you really can't ask for a better friend than that.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 7, 2013

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Kennel posted:

Less talking more fighting! :argh:

ahhahaha, yes.

It would seem Kamlen has a thing for fat green chicks.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm partial to the "Kat was supposed to hang out with me and hung me out to dry to chill with her new friend and she didn't even invite me what the hell" line of thinking. The idea that Kat might be in a relationship might not have even occurred to Annie yet, she's just pissed that Kat did her experiments with someone else.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Red Queen posted:

Renard is a trickster god like Coyote, and a powerful animal god like Ysengrin, but a little less than either of the two. Coyote showed the man dying in the desert elevating the coyote waiting to eat him into godhood; In colder climates the same would be considered of a pack of wolves. Foxes don't eat people quite as much; they're more likely to just inconvenience people by doing things like stealing their chickens and evading their hounds. He's a god, but a lesser god, because humans don't ascribe as much power to him.

Well, Ysengrin's not really a god either. He and Renard are both characters from fables. Also, depending on where you go, foxes are very highly regarded; in Japan, for example, they were believed to be messengers and servants of Inari, kami of agriculture and thus one of if not the most popular Shinto deities.

Which is to say I agree with Line Feed and Blackheart, Coyote didn't mean he's a god literally he's just talking him up and being a dick. Because he's Coyote.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 7, 2013

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

dyzzy posted:

This would have been one hell of a page to end the chapter on. I assume Kat is about to find her way there?
A few pages later, but just to make clear: Tom ends every chapter on a Monday with the little alchemy symbol in the corner, with FUN MORT/TEA TIME on Wednesday, and new chapter splash page on Friday. I'm not sure if that's official but boy howdy I've been reading this comic for years and it seems that every chapter ends like that.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

JT Jag posted:

... The idea that Kat might be in a relationship might not have even occurred to Annie yet, she's just pissed that Kat did her experiments with someone else.

Annie saw them kissing. She knows there's something between them.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Kikas posted:

And that I am not the only one who imagines that Khepi has a thick scottish accent.

Most of the slang terms she uses aren't Scottishisms, her accent sounds more Geordie or rural northern England to me. "Bo", "Babs" and substituting "me" for "my" are things that you just don't hear north of the border.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fecha posted:

Hey, back on this page Coyote called Renard a god. What exactly is he a god of?

The skillful use of topological defects that allow him to inhabit the same spacetime quanta of another beings metaconscience.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Roland Jones posted:

Also, depending on where you go, foxes are very highly regarded; in Japan, for example, they were believed to be messengers and servants of Inari, kami of agriculture and thus one of if not the most popular Shinto deities.

I'm sure Kitsune has nine tails, can shapeshift, and is just about as powerful as Coyote, but Renard is French. :v:

Murderion posted:

Most of the slang terms she uses aren't Scottishisms, her accent sounds more Geordie or rural northern England to me. "Bo", "Babs" and substituting "me" for "my" are things that you just don't hear north of the border.

Yeah giving it another look, the accent is definitely from the North, if not Beyond the Wall.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

What can Renard even do? He couldn't steal bodies until Coyote gave him that power; was he just really good at fox things like stealing poo poo and running away?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, if Le Roman de Renart is anything to go by, he was a really good trickster. Think Loki.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

CannonFodder posted:

A few pages later, but just to make clear: Tom ends every chapter on a Monday with the little alchemy symbol in the corner, with FUN MORT/TEA TIME on Wednesday, and new chapter splash page on Friday. I'm not sure if that's official but boy howdy I've been reading this comic for years and it seems that every chapter ends like that.

You're right about the alchemy symbol -> bonus page -> chapter splash but not about W/F/M. I actually went through a bunch of chapters a while back, when there was still a calendar on the archive page that showed what day a page went up and there wasn't really any meaningful correlation between the day and a chapter ending. It's possible that a new trend has emerged since he changed the site and took away that calendar but I don't think so.

I did this because I was curious but also because I'm a giant loser.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Regarde Aduck posted:

The skillful use of topological defects...

So he's a cosmic string?

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

About cliffhangers, weekends and chapter endings.

I don't plan any of that! Since I have a large buffer, there is no benefit for me to write my pages based on what day they might be live in two or three months in the future. When it comes to page planning, I only actively track two things:

1, Every chapter has to have an even number of pages including the title page. This is so each new chapter title will be on the right hand side page in a book two-page layout. So the bonus page will always be on the left, and a new chapter start on the right. I only did this out of personal choice.

2, Most importantly, I try to make each and every page worthwhile. If you take a look back at any random page in the archive and imagine they were uploaded on a Friday, I hope that it seems like a cliffhanger! It seems like every friday page was intentionally made into a mini cliffhanger but again, there is no benefit in me writing it that way since it all goes into an ongoing archive after that day passes. When I plan my pages I try to make sure there is some new information or a pushing forward of the plot and a reason to want to turn the page. Even if it's just a little decompression like the last couple of pages. If I look at a page plan/script and realise that there is nothing interesting happening, I have to scrap it and start again.

I hope that doing this makes the comic interesting to read, and when people claim I'm making cliffhanger fridays on purpose, I try to take it that they are just interested in seeing what happens next!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tea-san posted:

2, Most importantly, I try to make each and every page worthwhile.

I think you've always done a very good job when it comes to this, and it's a credit to your plotting and general skills as a creator that you're able to effectively balance long-form and short form in this manner.

I think your comic is really cool and any antsiness people are having recently is probably due to the particularly strong investment we have in the events of this chapter when it comes to the impact on the characters.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tea-san posted:

2, Most importantly, I try to make each and every page worthwhile. If you take a look back at any random page in the archive and imagine they were uploaded on a Friday, I hope that it seems like a cliffhanger! It seems like every friday page was intentionally made into a mini cliffhanger but again, there is no benefit in me writing it that way since it all goes into an ongoing archive after that day passes. When I plan my pages I try to make sure there is some new information or a pushing forward of the plot and a reason to want to turn the page. Even if it's just a little decompression like the last couple of pages. If I look at a page plan/script and realise that there is nothing interesting happening, I have to scrap it and start again.

I hope that doing this makes the comic interesting to read, and when people claim I'm making cliffhanger fridays on purpose, I try to take it that they are just interested in seeing what happens next!
I can't actually recall a single weekend over the last four years where I haven't found myself thinking at least once 'man, it's annoying having to wait an extra day for more Gunnerkrigg," so I'd say mission accomplished on your end.
(Well, maybe it gets a little less tense when you know Monday's going to be a title page, but even so)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So I'm doing a re-read of the comic. I'm paying particular attention to the art shift, because that sort of thing intrigues me. Around Chapter 12, Mostly Involves Robots is when the style really had begun to change, even though it had been getting cleaner for a while beforehand. I'm at Chapter 17, The Medium Beginning, and at this point the style Tom uses now, particularly the one he uses to draw faces, has mostly snapped in place. He's still experimenting with his line weights, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prison Warden posted:

I'm sure Kitsune has nine tails, can shapeshift, and is just about as powerful as Coyote, but Renard is French. :v:

My point was a counter to the "wolves > foxes" in mythology thing, which is weird and lacking in any basis beyond a single page of the comic. Also not all foxes are kitsune in Japanese mythology anyway. Also also I had said what Renard was from in the post you're quoting, so why are you trying to correct me there?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Red Bones posted:

What can Renard even do? He couldn't steal bodies until Coyote gave him that power; was he just really good at fox things like stealing poo poo and running away?

He can fly, that's pretty cool.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

seravid posted:

He can fly, that's pretty cool.

Are you thinking about the fox that followed the hedgehog around?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

IUG posted:

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for this mental image.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

IUG posted:

Yes.

seravid fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 7, 2013

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Dear god.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

This is a thing of beauty :golfclap:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tea-san posted:

About cliffhangers, weekends and chapter endings.

I don't plan any of that!
Thanks for the explanation! You do a good job of making any page seem like a cliffhanger.

I'm also glad I caught your note at the bottom of the comic yesterday because I was able to snag one of the last copies of AITF1 before it sold out. Any word on when AITF2 will make it to Topataco?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Missed opportunity to edit "high" into "fast" :colbert:

slogula
Oct 2, 2013

Is it weird that I'm seeing Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo here?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Prison Warden posted:

Though he's a French of German descent.

And in the Roman de Renard, Ysengrin is a buffoon. He's there to posture and be ridiculed. He's the butt of every joke. He gets tricked into a well, gets his tail caught in freezing ice, is cuckholded, gets caught in a snare, is several time beaten by monks and peasants, etc. Definitely no "wolf > fox" in that literature. The moral of these stories is not "wolves are dangerous gods of nature that will eat you", it's "wolves are laughably stupid and you should pelt them with stones and beat them with staffs because it feels great to make a wolf suffer".

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

Missed opportunity to edit "high" into "fast" :colbert:

I don't know what you're talking about :colbert:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh my god I am so happy I made that comment. Brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Hahaha the shoes. That is great