Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Much as I love G Gundam, I wish we'd gotten Imagawa's first idea. It was very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsieurChoc posted:

Much as I love G Gundam, I wish we'd gotten Imagawa's first idea. It was very different.

Did we ever get any actual detail on the show he originally wanted to do? Or just that it was a more traditional Gundam story, in the vein of Tominu's UC?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

And once it was, they put an end to the Devil Gundam in no time.

Checkmate.

Wealth and Glory to the Winner!.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

everyone bringing up the nether gundam and tequila gundam like the actual best g gundam isn't obvious

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ah yes, the peg warmer gundam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

tsob posted:

Did we ever get any actual detail on the show he originally wanted to do? Or just that it was a more traditional Gundam story, in the vein of Tominu's UC?

There was an interview with some details in this thread years ago.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ninjewtsu posted:

everyone bringing up the nether gundam and tequila gundam like the actual best g gundam isn't obvious

I remember this one because I had a toy of this as a kid, also the pilot was a badass blind warrior monk guy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
He also inexplicably hooked up with Allenby since he was the only surviving and prominent male character that wasn't evil, dead, a child, or already had a canonical love interest at the end of the show and we need to pair the spares.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I remember this one because I had a toy of this as a kid, also the pilot was a badass blind warrior monk guy.

his ep is like half giant robo imagawa, moreso than most of the other ones, and its why it's one of the lowkey best

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jester gundam is probably my fav one-off enemy suit that actually gets to do things though

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kurieg posted:

He also inexplicably hooked up with Allenby since he was the only surviving and prominent male character that wasn't evil, dead, a child, or already had a canonical love interest at the end of the show and we need to pair the spares.

No, he didn't. He formed a giant love heart with Allenby in the finale, but it was a heart whose purpose was to be something that Domon and Rain could fly through and to symbolize the love between Domon and Rain; not imply one between Allenby and Chyral. It's something akin to the gates people make at weddings for the couple to walk through, which are sometimes literal gates, sometimes proper arches, sometimes just people holding up things for the couple to walk under (it's quite common here in Ireland for people on Hurling teams to walk under an arch made by a dozen or more team mates holding their hurleys aloft; think hockey sticks with a larger head).

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 5, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, watching more G-Reco since I feel like it's proper to get through to the end if I'm going to act like I have an informed opinion and, yeah.

Still not terribly fond of it!

But... I am paying more attention. And I'm actually seeing some of the things that make people talk about it like its main problem is being too smart for the viewer.

I'm about midway in, when the moonrace invades in something that could have been a major game changer with the two warring factions joining together in the face of a new enemy while plotting to stab each other in the back... if everyone wasn't so casual about it. In fact, even by the standards of people who don't know anything about war, everybody takes everything too casually. Like, surrendered prisoner chatting with the people who killed his squadmates? Not even a moment of "Man, this is weird". I'm not huge on Unicorn, but I can't help but compare it to the scene of Banana at the dinner table, one of the best bits of that show. Where Unicorn focused in on the awkwardness and played up the horror of killing people who you'd befriended, and the oddity of befriending people you tried to kill, G-Reco just ignores it. We don't get Turn A moments, either, where suddenly the abstract idea of war becomes real to people dreaming of glorious combat. We just get people dying and nobody giving a drat. And so many fights that mean nothing while taking up half an episode's runtime...

Right though! Was going to compliment it. Got distracted.

Well...semi compliment, anyway. In the latest episode I saw, Klim and Mick were indulging in some casual racism, talking about how all a Kuntala like Mask could think to do was attack... right before we see that Mask was pulling a more complicated gambit. We're seeing how that bias blinded the people indulging in it and how Mask is discriminated against without yelling it. It's clever.

The problem is that it's too clever by half. The show is so reluctant to just give us facts, even by Tomino Gundam standards, that it's hard to tell what instances like that mean most of the time. Like, when Aida assumes Klim is incompetent, it's hard to tell if we're meant to think the less of Aida for not knowing Klim's abilities, or less of Klim for not making as good of a plan as he thinks. And unlike Turn A, we don't get anyone like Loran or Diana who knows the basic shape of the situation from the jump to provide context.

And the show has so much that's genuinely clunky and (dare I say?) bad that it's easy to assume that kind of thing is due to not thinking things through rather than by intention. I'm quite willing to believe on the evidence that when Klim Nick's got a 'genius' plan that isn't, that's the show commenting on the nature of the characters and the world as a parody of increasing Japanese militarism. But when you're not inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt, well, it just looks like more being done badly. A reminder on the importance of gaining audience trust, I suppose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam adjacent but did anyone ever get sued for Fortress Maximus looking like a Transformers recolour of the White Base?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Have you ever wondered what 0079 would have been like if it was a table top game instead of a plotted and produced anime?

Feddie Scum has you covered.

You can hear the tears of time the GM.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Warmachine posted:

Have you ever wondered what 0079 would have been like if it was a table top game instead of a plotted and produced anime?

Feddie Scum has you covered.

You can hear the tears of time the GM.

These are some powerful episode titles

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

As best I can tell, it's Gundam by way of Darths and Droids/DM of the Rings. It's also using Mekton Zeta, which I think one of you lot recommended to me once.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I've been playing a Dungeon World homebrew me and my friend made for Gundam for a few years now so this is right up my alley.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Warmachine posted:

As best I can tell, it's Gundam by way of Darths and Droids/DM of the Rings. It's also using Mekton Zeta, which I think one of you lot recommended to me once.

They drop MZ immediately because it’s a clunky system. Fun Char-Gen though!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

HitTheTargets posted:

You get to make A Char?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Yeah, I just got to the part where they explain that. The character creation reminds me of Traveler.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

You get to make A Char?

If you're playing a tabletop mecha game and don't make A Char, you're loving up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, I just got to the part where they explain that. The character creation reminds me of Traveler.

If you're playing a tabletop mecha game and don't make A Char, you're loving up.

What if I made a Lt. Quattro instead? He seems like a straightforward guy.

Anyway, Char seems like a character people would make if they really trust the GM, with tons of connections to the setting for future plot hooks, a handful of NPCs to kill off for drama, and a hidden agenda that's solid enough for useful reveals, but flexible enough to keep him on the team for whatever plot everyone actually wants to run. A Char type is basically broadcasting "Hey! Screw me over for shocking twists! I am onboard for whatever!"

Meanwhile, Mikazuki is the paranoid player's character. Only cares about the party, no family members, immediately sees through plot hooks, responds to every situation with violence.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

We've had a few tries to do Chars in our homebrew but it's been put on hiatus since the 079 campaign we did a year ago where the party's Char instead of using the Solar System on the Zabi fleet after killing Big Zam instead used it on General Revil and derailed the endgame into a bloodbath of madness.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just found out that one of the Musha Gundam lines had them being piloted by fantasy versions of Gundam pilots. That is such a great idea, why haven't they done a show of that? It would be so much better than the ones where the Gundams are people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I just found out that one of the Musha Gundam lines had them being piloted by fantasy versions of Gundam pilots. That is such a great idea, why haven't they done a show of that? It would be so much better than the ones where the Gundams are people.

It seems so much better now, and admittedly it'd be a lot of work to make something worse than the current SD Gundam show, but most shows are very different in practice than in theory.

And on that note, Gundam Igloo. A show that should be fun. An endless procession of Zeonic superweapons blowing up, I've always had a kind of perfect vision of it in my head, almost Gundam version of Catch 22, with our combat engineer protagonist well aware how Zeon's wasting its budget on the latest bout of insanity while helpless to do anything about it. Purestrain dark comedy, with the dead pilot of the episode providing the punchline and the explanation for why the latest invention was such a horrible idea.

They... don't do that.

Of course, even if they did , IGLOO would still be ugly. Not just the people, but the ships look terrible. Where CG battleships in IBO or the Origin can be part of exciting, dynamic battles, here the ships just sit in lines looking low detail. Even compared to the later IGLOO stuff, the first episode looks terrible. But bad visuals can be compensated for with good writing and scene composition, as the original Gundam often shows. Which IGLOO also ignores!

Opening with a weak OP and a dull lecture on the basics of the UC (which anyone watching this probably knows like a catechism), IGLOO's first episode fails to lean into the interesting parts of its concept (black comedy) and to flesh out the doomed pilot of the week. Instead we get a string of cliches early on, with the hero objecting to Operation British to show he's not one of the REAL bad guys (just not objecting enough to quit like Ral, or try to stop it.) and the female lead being introduced with a Trek style soft focus shot. Our leads are supposed to test out a new battleship cannon, but they're too far from the fight to do anything useful. The hero tries to scout things out, but it doesn't matter, Char is too busy being a badass for anyone to care about a new battleship gun, and then the ship is wrecked, firing off one last shot to guard the escape pods as the gunner dies. Then the lead talks about how good the gun would have been, if only it could have gotten more focus.

Which... that's the worst thing you could do with the concept!

One of Zeon's big things is that they kept making one-off superweapons, and then Amuro kept killing everyone to ruin the billions of dollars invested. The whole obsession paid off once with Mobile Suits, and everything after was betting more on red 1, because it had to be lucky after it won the first time. IGLOO's premise should be how that kept costing lives and resources. Instead, it's about how they should have spent more time on the ridiculous doomed projects.

Japan's fans are right. It's not a good show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Given the existing tone of IGLOO, I don't think the production staff would have been terribly interested in dunking on Zeon for sinking tons of lives and money into pointless superweapons.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

It's made by and for weird cunts who put iron crosses on their gunpla and insist the Tiger tank wasn't a gigantic heap of poo poo.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
There is one "superweapon" I unironically like from that show though. The flying trashcan. Because making knock-off balls with leftover Zaku guns strapped to the exterior and throwing every untrained Zabi-youth you can find into one of them sure sells desperation better than throwing the same untrained Zabi-youth into legions of fancy bleeding edge Gelgoogs. The part where it's literally shaped like a trashcan is a bonus.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's telling that the guy writing 0083 Rebellion (who was involved in both 0083 and Igloo) has the Igloo characters show up to give Gato the Niue Ziel and show that they're still fighting for Glorious Zeon. You know, just in case someone tries to tell you that those two shows aren't massive Zeon Wank.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

IGLOO's first episode fails to lean into the interesting parts of its concept (black comedy) and to flesh out the doomed pilot of the week.

MS IGLOO being Gundam Blackadder would have been amazing; especially if it was good/popular enough to have sequel OVAs in other AUs. A Blackadder analogue in AC, AW, CE, AD etc. would be fun as gently caress.

maninthesuit posted:

There is one "superweapon" I unironically like from that show though. The flying trashcan. Because making knock-off balls with leftover Zaku guns strapped to the exterior and throwing every untrained Zabi-youth you can find into one of them sure sells desperation better than throwing the same untrained Zabi-youth into legions of fancy bleeding edge Gelgoogs. The part where it's literally shaped like a trashcan is a bonus.

I don't know; the idea that they have more of and valued material units over personnel seems more desperate and less romantic to me, than patriotic Zeon youth being shuffled on to the front line in the last remaining units they could muster.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason anyone gives a poo poo about IGLOO is because of the shiny new toys it added

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

jackhunter64 posted:

It's made by and for weird cunts who put iron crosses on their gunpla and insist the Tiger tank wasn't a gigantic heap of poo poo.

I've only watched about two episodes and it felt exactly like this. I've read the story for a few others but they all seem to boil down to "proud Aryan Zeonic soldier tragically dies for his country".

My favorite one is the Ze'Gok because it makes absolutely zero sense in either concept or execution and the pilot just spouts pseudo dad manga crap about his grandfather's philosophy on fishing.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
nothing about IGLOO makes any sense, and it perfectly carries on the 80s OVA spirit by the whole appeal being what ridiculous poo poo you'll see that will probably look like crap despite having a neat idea

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Hildolfr is the only design I actually like from IGLOO, and a lot of that is due to video games deciding that it can drift like an Initial D car.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I've only watched about two episodes and it felt exactly like this. I've read the story for a few others but they all seem to boil down to "proud Aryan Zeonic soldier tragically dies for his country".

My favorite one is the Ze'Gok because it makes absolutely zero sense in either concept or execution and the pilot just spouts pseudo dad manga crap about his grandfather's philosophy on fishing.

The thing that amazes me is how every single one of these projects has poo poo specs, kills its pilot, and makes even the crazed bastards at Zeon weapons procurement who invented the Zakrello go "What? No. No, no, no, not doing that, it's stupid.".

But at the same time, the episodes end with the protagonist lamenting how this war winning project was abandoned by command, treating its suicidal brief victory as PROOF that this can win the war.

It's like the show doesn't recognize what the gap between what it's trying to say and what it's actually saying.

And yeah. A Gundam version of Blackadder would be great. (I think Gaelio's habit of accidentally killing fellow pilots would definitely come up in an IBO edition.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

And yeah. A Gundam version of Blackadder would be great. (I think Gaelio's habit of accidentally killing fellow pilots would definitely come up in an IBO edition.)

I imagine the Char analogue of each setting would be akin to Lord Flashheart in Blackadder, and just appears for a short time (one episode or less, presuming it kept to the same overall length) and whose arrogance and investment in the war mostly served to highlight the absurdity of everything going on around them and how poo poo the officers were when viewed from the outside.

Also, this glorious thing exists and the world is better for it:

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1217362134373322752

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1217435924222504960

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1214499943693479936

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1214518181651308544

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1214203042578321409

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1208100429801775104

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1203623107421802497

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1208623795944083457

And perhaps, my favorite bit:

https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1209028462599495680

It's a simple change but it makes me smile so much.

tsob fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 11, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Like I said, the person behind 0083 (and the current Manga, Rebellion) also did Igloo, and his end showcase for Oliver and company is

"gently caress YEAH Zeon!" still. Which, if my calculations are correct... makes them terrible human beings. You ever notice in the Zeon Wank stories like this, that the zeon people are always so humble and unified and devoted to the cause... when Tomino's 0079 showed them to be a bunch of in-fighting dickbags all focused on screwing one another more than they were on winning the war or not being war criminals.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah, the Zeon-wank is really really annoying.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zeon is cool. Zaku FTW.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I like that 0079’s Zeon is made up of vain aristocrats like M’quve and doughy working class joes like Dren. Weird how subsequent works just add in handsome soldiers who are noble in spirit but not literally noble by blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

tsob posted:

MS IGLOO being Gundam Blackadder would have been amazing; especially if it was good/popular enough to have sequel OVAs in other AUs. A Blackadder analogue in AC, AW, CE, AD etc. would be fun as gently caress.

I don't know; the idea that they have more of and valued material units over personnel seems more desperate and less romantic to me, than patriotic Zeon youth being shuffled on to the front line in the last remaining units they could muster.

I still want Gundam: Pentagon Wars.