Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Me, a level 40 white mage, healing any dungeon: OH gently caress gently caress OH gently caress *hits swift cast, hits that one that speeds casting 20%* YOURE NOT DYING ON ME TODAY

*finishes pull where tank took way more than they should and have like 20% mana left*

*tank jumps repeatedly into next pack*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Always Be Pulling
:parrot:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

creatine posted:

Me, a level 40 white mage, healing any dungeon: OH gently caress gently caress OH gently caress *hits swift cast, hits that one that speeds casting 20%* YOURE NOT DYING ON ME TODAY

*finishes pull where tank took way more than they should and have like 20% mana left*

*tank jumps repeatedly into next pack*

Honestly, healing at 40 shouldn't be that stressful even with a crappy tank. Do you have Lucid Dreaming as a role action? It gives you MP back. Also, make sure you're using your regen on the tank, it makes a big difference. Just don't cast it pre-pull or you'll instantly get aggro from everything.

Now, the level 41 dungeon with a crappy tank, that can be stressful.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Honestly, healing at 40 shouldn't be that stressful even with a crappy tank. Do you have Lucid Dreaming as a role action? It gives you MP back. Also, make sure you're using your regen on the tank, it makes a big difference. Just don't cast it pre-pull or you'll instantly get aggro from everything.

Now, the level 41 dungeon with a crappy tank, that can be stressful.

Oh I didn't know it gave back MP. I'll add it on

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
presence of mind is best reserved for dpsing. largesse is your best 'o fuk' button.

also a whm can run on fumes for a long-rear end time because of Freecure procs

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

creatine posted:

This is never well explained in English for the game, but any ability that grants Refresh gives MP Regen.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

creatine posted:

Yep, LD is absolutely necessary I'd say.

Alternately, go SCH and let Eos do all the work for you. You also get the best DPS class in the game with it. :getin:

edit: to clarify, SCH wants Lucid Dreaming too, its mandatory on healers.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 23, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Yep, LD is absolutely necessary I'd say.

Alternately, go SCH and let Eos do all the work for you. You also get the best DPS class in the game with it. :getin:

Ninja?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also in 5 levels you'll get Holy, which is basically a free Hallowed Ground on every pull.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just had a newbie antitower for mentor roulette with a sprout whm. Told them to swiftcast holy and then cast two more holies for basically free at the start of every pull and they began to just loving nuke everything and it was great.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

You also get the best DPS class in the game with it. :getin:

SCH and WHM do equivalent DPS, SCH just has to actually work for it.

Reiterpallasch posted:

presence of mind is best reserved for dpsing. largesse is your best 'o fuk' button.

Before SB it ONLY worked with DPS spells. Did that change?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just had a newbie antitower for mentor roulette with a sprout whm. Told them to swiftcast holy and then cast two more holies for basically free at the start of every pull and they began to just loving nuke everything and it was great.

Must have been nice. Last sprout WHM I got ignored my Holy advice and spammed Medica 2.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

SCH and WHM do equivalent DPS, SCH just has to actually work for it.

Meaning SMN.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

4.1 did a lot of good for SMN. They're getting picked up for speed raiding. e.g. https://www.fflogs.com/rankings/15#boss=1038

Also healers have swapped around again. It's back to WHM/SCH (AST DPS seems to be the issue, is what I'm hearing).

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Loiosh posted:

This is never well explained in English for the game, but any ability that grants Refresh gives MP Regen.

oh that would have been helpful to know lmao

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

creatine posted:

oh that would have been helpful to know lmao

Right? I didn't know that until I was level 70.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I thought LD was for enmity only until about the beginning of SB.

Rastan Beeza posted:

Man, you guys are all talking about Haurchefant affecting the your char too much, meanwhile I'm over here being really annoyed how HW is pushing wanting my character to Really Dislike Emmanellain while I think he's a funny as hell richboy loser.

She is too chill a kitty to give a poo poo about anybody enough to want to punch him for being whiny or be grossed out about him being such a flirt (when he is such a spectacular failure at it too).

Honestly the first time I wish they didn't try putting their opinions into my character's mouth imo.

Yeah, I didn't really want to punch him in that scene. Maybe slap him upside the head for not telling the Archer to stop firing after he saw what was happening, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 23, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Before SB it ONLY worked with DPS spells.

I'm pretty certain this has never been true.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Loiosh posted:

4.1 did a lot of good for SMN. They're getting picked up for speed raiding. e.g. https://www.fflogs.com/rankings/15#boss=1038

Also healers have swapped around again. It's back to WHM/SCH (AST DPS seems to be the issue, is what I'm hearing).

Yeah, I meant SMN, which is actually good now even if no one here or in pubbie-land believes me.

It's fun when someone yells at you at the start of an EXDR run for bringing a poo poo class in, then you get triple commendations at the end. :unsmith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Before SB it ONLY worked with DPS spells. Did that change?

That has never been the case.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Yeah, I meant SMN, which is actually good now even if no one here or in pubbie-land believes me.

It's fun when someone yells at you at the start of an EXDR run for bringing a poo poo class in, then you get triple commendations at the end. :unsmith:

As I'm told MCH has shown us, fun and good are two different things though. Is SMN fun? I honestly ask because I haven't played it since mid-HW.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bobfly posted:

As I'm told MCH has shown us, fun and good are two different things though. Is SMN fun? I honestly ask because I haven't played it since mid-HW.

I hated it in HW and I like it now.

The biggest QoL change, to me, is that aethertrail attunement stacks no longer expire with time, so you don't have to worry about them running out and leaving you with weird numbers of aetherflow stacks that throw off your whole rhythm. I haven't hit 70 with it yet but bahamut seems...neat? i guess? it occasionally gives you something to feel like less of a wet noodle in between aetherflow cooldowns, at least.

also, among other changes, ruin 3 now replaces ruin 1 so you get to cast an impressive looking spell as your filler that won't drain your MP bar.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Luna Was Here posted:

Always Be Pulling
:parrot:

I've had like 5 healers so far tell me more or less "Goddamn dude I weep for your TP bar" when I'm tanking on my Warrior. And like 80% of the time I'll just immediately sprint away at the start missing the protect buff :v:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Bobfly posted:

Summoner plays *really* well right now, with a couple of quirks to watch for. Bahamut can be a bit fussy sometimes, and you're still reliant on Ruin II/IV when he's running so that you can weave oGCDs in. Of course, complaining that your 270 potency spammable instacast isn't 300 potency is a bit cheeky.

Other than that, you have extremely high DPS, decent support, good mobility (especially in DWT with instant Ruin IIIs), and lots of options to play with at various points in your cycle without it feeling overwhelming. I mean, the biggest complaint that I have right now is that it feels more like Allagan Mage than Summoner, and I'd rather have a good job than a thematically-appropriate bad one.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Bolow posted:

I've had like 5 healers so far tell me more or less "Goddamn dude I weep for your TP bar" when I'm tanking on my Warrior. And like 80% of the time I'll just immediately sprint away at the start missing the protect buff :v:

The worst feeling I've ever had while playing WAR was getting to the end of an EXDR with two melee dps and not knowing which one was Goading me throughout the run, so I had to guess for the commendation.

Sometimes I lie awake at night wondering if I guessed wrong. :smith:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

The worst feeling I've ever had while playing WAR was getting to the end of an EXDR with two melee dps and not knowing which one was Goading me throughout the run, so I had to guess for the commendation.

Sometimes I lie awake at night wondering if I guessed wrong. :smith:

I used to not run Goad at all on my DRG and then I started leveling my WAR. Now I run Goad all the goddamn time in roulettes

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Bolow posted:

Every single Slow Protect Caster is always a crybaby and will piss their baby diaper if a mob hits you without Protect. This is fact

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bleu posted:

Every single Slow Protect Caster is always a crybaby and will piss their baby diaper if a mob hits you without Protect. This is fact

I cast it but only to get pubbies off my back by proving I tried

It really should not be in the game

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bleu posted:

Just think, a few months ago they were slow stoneskin 2 casters as well.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty certain this has never been true.

Could have sworn I read that somewhere. Doesn’t seem to be the case. Sorry for posting fake news :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Summoner is the best class even when it's the worst, because resurrecting people is great. Now Red Mages can too but I still usually end up being the reviver :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bleu posted:

As opposed to what, burning a Swiftcast that could be better used dropping Holy on the first pull? I think not. If the tank hasn't gotten Protect by the time the shield goes down anyway, it's generally their own drat fault for not having had autoskip previously seen cutscenes turned on. (Or if they're genuinely new to the place then they're probably not going to go dashing off in a mad rush.)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Also in 5 levels you'll get Holy, which is basically a free Hallowed Ground on every pull.

I'm dumb, please explain this.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
The tank is effectively invincible if everything is stunned.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The best kind of healing is not even allowing damage to happen in the first place.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've been leveling Scholar lately, since I want to get a healer at 70 now that I have a tank and DPS class there, and I am finding Protect to be the most boring skill in the game. We're casting it because we've always cast it. Maybe if they made it more like the PvP version that WHM gets, where it's a straight 20% damage reduction for 10 seconds, it might be more interesting.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Remove Protect, bake the bonus into gear defense values and rename Divine Benison to Protect.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm dumb, please explain this.

holy has a 4 second stun and a 4 second cast time. You swiftcast the first and start casting the second. Since no one is stunning anymore, the whole pack gets stunned for four seconds. By the time the first stun falls off your second cast goes off and everything is stunned another 2 seconds. Cast again and there will be another 1 second stun that can interrupt a bunch of aoes they try to cast in their one second of freedom from the first.

Effectively your tank will get hit with only autoattacks for 1 second in a 10 second window. Always be holying.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Mr. Nice! posted:

holy has a 4 second stun and a 4 second cast time. You swiftcast the first and start casting the second. Since no one is stunning anymore, the whole pack gets stunned for four seconds. By the time the first stun falls off your second cast goes off and everything is stunned another 2 seconds. Cast again and there will be another 1 second stun that can interrupt a bunch of aoes they try to cast in their one second of freedom from the first.

Effectively your tank will get hit with only autoattacks for 1 second in a 10 second window. Always be holying.

This is the first explanation of why I'd want to Swiftcast my Holy that I've heard that makes it all make sense. (When I heard everyone going on about Holy spam, I could see it was good, but not how good, and Swiftcast might be important later, and so on and so on...) So like, thanks for that!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Always be holying? Or holy 3 times and then start healing? It sounds like after the third stun the tank is vulnerable again.

It’s me, I’m the whm with a disturbing lack of faith in holy

I also seem to end up with tanks that can’t seem to accurately communicate when they’re done pulling and when it’s safe for me to start holying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It does a lot of damage, also, so keep spamming it even if everyone has stun resistance and heal between casts if you need to (or just interrupt a cast if things are really going bad). I mean the alternative is not casting anything a lot of the time because even on a big pull healing doesn't usually get that crazy, and WHMs have insane MP sustain so its not like holy spam is actually going to cause you to go empty.