Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LethalGeek posted:

My (24f) boyfriend (24f) refuses to get the flu shot even though I have an autoimmune disease

:cripes:

Find a bar next to a CVS and get him drunk first. Play up how brave he is and how it would really turn you on for him to get a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

LethalGeek posted:

My (24f) boyfriend (24f) refuses to get the flu shot even though I have an autoimmune disease

:cripes:

:murder: him before he kills you

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

My in-laws waste our water and hate our lack of lawn

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

We live in a drought-impaired area; my in-laws reside in one of the wettest places in North America. Although we have official water-use restrictions, my in-laws ignore them when they visit: taking 40-minute showers, running the dishwasher (which came with the house but which we don’t use) multiple times daily, brushing their teeth with the water running, etc. But their biggest complaint is our lack of lawn: They openly hate on our xeriscaping and food garden.

The problem is how the kids react to them. I got an earful from my mother-in-law after our 11-year-old politely explained what she’d learned at school about the importance of water conservation in a desert community. Her grandmother was insulted and reprimanded my daughter sternly. She was concerned about how the kids “won’t grow up normally with these crazy restrictions” and without a lawn to play on. To that end, my father-in-law attempted to secretly have a lawn installed because “kids needs lawns.” Our 8-year-old son has bought into it and is now begging for a lawn so he can be like “normal kids.” The thing is, few if any people in our area have lawns, and certainly no kids at his school do, so it’s hardly normal.

So, how do we handle this? What do I say to my daughter about her conversation with her grandmother? To my ears, she was being kind, even saying things like, “I understand that it rains all the time where you live, but … ” However, her grandmother took it as being stubborn and argumentative. Now the two seem distant, and my in-laws clearly favor my son. And what do I say to my son about the lawn which, frankly, is the last thing on God’s not-so-green earth that is going to happen?

—The Lawn Is a Unicorn

quote:

Dear TLIaU,

Your father-in-law plotting to install a lawn contrary to your express wishes is giving me life today. I am very sorry. They’re being total dicks. It sounds like your daughter is being respectful and is genuinely confused your mother-in-law doesn’t grasp that different climates require different water restrictions.

(Lawns are horrible, but that’s my personal bias. We have rock landscaping and it rules.)

Look, your son is 8. His grandparents could have pulled this same poo poo about how “every boy needs a dog.” You tell the grandparents to shut up about the lawn, you tell your son it ain’t happening and you’re done discussing it, you enjoy being part of the solution.

I would be extremely surprised if your weird in-laws decide to permanently estrange themselves from your granddaughter over this, but odder things have happened. Should you invite them again, however, tell your daughter that she’s spoken her piece about the lawn and other water issues, and this time we’re pretending it’s just not a topic.

Did … did he think you would come home from work … to a lawn? Amazing.

—Nicole

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

people who are scared of needles (past the age of like, eight) need to sack up. it's like by definition one of the smallest possible injuries you will ever have and the entire thing lasts about 1.0 seconds. if you're really squicked out by the concept just don't look. what a baby

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

people who are scared of needles (past the age of like, eight) need to sack up. it's like by definition one of the smallest possible injuries you will ever have and the entire thing lasts about 1.0 seconds. if you're really squicked out by the concept just don't look. what a baby

god you are a smug gently caress 24/7 aren't you

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I've stopped even bothering to voice my concerns against dumbass idiots who don't understand the concepts of herd immunity whenever someone says they don't need the flu shot. But that story's especially sad because he should probably care about his girlfriend not dying. :argh:

The flu shot is like the tiniest needle and it takes less than 20 seconds to administer the yearly vaccine too. gently caress. I detest her boyfriend.

I mean, this year the shot also can leave you kinda sore for like a day, so I really can't blame him for wanting to avoid that agony instead of keeping his partner safe.

poo poo, I feel like shot + soreness is still vastly preferable to the risk of being sick with the flu, so either way he looks dumb as hell to me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Sagebrush posted:

There can be some really bad phobias that you need a more controlled exposure plan to than 'just don't look', but they make the flu vaccine in a nasal spray for that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

god you are a smug gently caress 24/7 aren't you

aw, boo hoo, i'm ~scared~ of a completely harmless procedure lasting literal seconds performed hundreds of billions of times a year, which tens of millions of people have to do to themselves every single day multiple times, to the point that i actively avoid medical treatment because of it. i am a very normal adult human being and NOT a 200-pound infant

PetraCore posted:

There can be some really bad phobias that you need a more controlled exposure plan to than 'just don't look', but they make the flu vaccine in a nasal spray for that.

phobia's a different story of course but that's literally a mental illness.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

aw, boo hoo, i'm ~scared~ of a completely harmless procedure lasting literal seconds performed hundreds of billions of times a year, which tens of millions of people have to do to themselves every single day multiple times, to the point that i actively avoid medical treatment because of it. i am a very normal adult human being and NOT a 200-pound infant

phobia's a different story of course but that's literally a mental illness.
Yeah my point is even if I give him the generous reading that that's the case and it's not just that he doesn't like it, there's still a way around that.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

PetraCore posted:

Whoa, really? How does that work? Is it as effective?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Miserable Maid posted:

The effectiveness vs the vaccine shot varies year to year since ofc they're doing it for different strains each year, but yeah, apparently! I'm not sure exactly how it works, but the nose is a mucus membrane, so I'm guessing the active part of the vaccine passes through that to hit the bloodstream.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah looking it up the flu shot involves dead versions of the flu virus strains they're vaccinating for that year, so it can leave you sore but you usually won't get flu symptoms from it. The nasal spray involves live but weakened viruses needed to trigger an immune response, so there's no needle involved but you might get mild flu symptoms that are more severe than what you'd get from the shot. Given OP's compromised immune system, she might have to stay away from her lovely boyfriend for a few days if he got the nasal version just to be on the safe side, but there wouldn't be needles involved.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's a loving hole being forcibly made in my body, a hollow hole with something being INJECTED into it, that horrifies me on its face

But if you're unlucky enough to have small veins, getting blood drawn can be an incredibly painful endeavor with many pokes before it takes. Sometimes folks dig around in your arm with the needle. I've had needles hit nerves and bone. That poo poo sucks.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Miserable Maid posted:

I did it one year just to try it out. No flu (ymmv of course), but I would much rather have a 5 second prick and accompanying day of soreness than the multiple hours of drippy, gross feeling nose that I had otherwise.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One of the only two phobias I have is needles (not even the pokey part, the syringe freaks me out and just imagining poo poo going into my bloodstream makes me start hyperventilating) and I still go out of my way to get every vaccine I can get. Usually it just amounts to me getting super intense the second I smell rubbing alcohol which spooks newer nurses and doesn't even remotely phase the older ones because they've seen my kind of bullshit like every loving day for 20 years.

The other phobia is fursuits. I don't even have anything against furries but seeing fursuits/animatronics makes me go full on fight or flight. Five Nights at Freddys is my favourite horror game. Anyway, that's my story

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chieves posted:

I would much rather have a 5 second prick and accompanying day of soreness than the multiple hours of drippy, gross feeling nose that I had otherwise.

Something crude about straight women vs lesbians

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

My homophobic relatives are having bachlorette party at gay bar. I am gay, should I go?

quote:

Hey Everyone! I have a fork in the road situation and need help on how to naviagte it lightly

Basically, my cousin “Mary” is getting married soon and she is having her bachlorette party(inviting all the women in the family as well as the brides maids) at a gay bar. Now I’m not in the bridesmaids category so I can’t really make any decisions on where to have the party in the first place. Here’s where it gets complicated- I myself am bisexual and have dated a woman for about 3-4 years now. My extended family is the typical southern wanna-be redneck family. The women are married to military men, wear turqousise, and their jobs are in cosmetology, nursing, and MLM schemes. Or they don’t work at all. I am not out to them due to safety/outcasting reasons

You can get as stereotypical about it as you want, but they really do live, laugh, love like that

Several times Mary has asked me if I was gay and I always ignore it or try to change the subject. Recently, she has sent me a long rear end text saying basically “I know you are gay, you don’t have to hide it with me I will always love you” yada yada thanks I guess. Then she says “it was really hard for me to confront you about this, I’ve been struggling for months” which is weird cause how in the hell is this hard for YOU?

Anyways, I believe shes told my other cousin, Susan who is a little homophobic and racist at times about me being bi. they don’t treat me different all the time but every now and then I feel they try to ask more questions regarding relationships to get me to spill the beans, which I am very against doing.

With the party at an LGBT bar just feels like a slap in the face. These people either make homophobic comments or don’t stand up against it when others do. I don’t want them to treat the place like “oooh taboo” cause theres nothing taboo about it! Hell I’d rather see the chippendales.

I don’t know yall, Im confused on what to do:

if I go I could have a good time cause they are not bad all the time plus who knows it could be a learning experience for them

If I dont go it could cause a scene or make it seem like I skipped on purpose and cause rumors which is not something I want.

At the same time, am I just a taboo zoo animal to them? It feels weird to celebrate marriage in a place where 95% of the people could only get married a decade ago. It doesn’t sit right

Any advice and I would be very grateful

TLDR: redneck and homophobic cousin will have bachlorette party at gay bar, I am gay should I stay or should I go?guitar riff

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I mean yeah tourqouise is gauche af but does it have some further significance I'm not aware of?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pirate Radar posted:

You have a picture of his rear end in a top hat on your Visa Black card?

Visa black cards are for assholes

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I forgot the CDC actually approved the nasal spray this year for once, so that poor lady's boyfriend is even more an rear end in a top hat if he's that scared of needles. :/

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Visa black cards are for assholes

I think that would hurt more than rear end pennies.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Beachcomber posted:

I think that would hurt more than rear end pennies.

man I was just thinking of UCB yesterday

it's one of those shows that just kind of vanished completely

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DemoneeHo posted:

My homophobic relatives are having bachlorette party at gay bar. I am gay, should I go?
There's actually a bunch of stories about queer spaces like this being co-opted by cishet party tourism, to the point where the stupid drunk chicks ruin the mood, so they can get fuckt.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

tactlessbastard posted:

I mean yeah tourqouise is gauche af but does it have some further significance I'm not aware of?

For people who believe in the "healing power of crystals" (*spits*) it's a calming stone that promotes serenity and creativity. Also worn by people interested in appropriating a parody of Native American mysticism (which starts off assuming that there's some monolithic mysticism to be appropriated in the first place).

Or it could just mean they live in Santa Fe. That doesn't exclude the other options by any means, but most folks I know in that area have some turquoise just because the nearby mines mean you can get it pretty cheap from local crafters.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

There's actually a bunch of stories about queer spaces like this being co-opted by cishet party tourism, to the point where the stupid drunk chicks ruin the mood, so they can get fuckt.
I think it's fine for allies to go and support queer businesses and business owners but yeah that's p different then just throwing your homophobic bachlorette party there for the giggles.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Lobe posted:

man I was just thinking of UCB yesterday

it's one of those shows that just kind of vanished completely

If you're ever in NYC or LA try to catch a show at one of their theaters.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah idk what to say about needles. they scare the absolute poo poo out of me too, to the point where novocaine at the dentist wears off real fast cuz im just kind of having a mild panic attack the entire time, but it's something that no matter how much you hate it, you cant get away from doing it. like waiting in line or whatever other insanely commonplace thing weirdos get fixated on. i just dont look at them and maybe sometimes bite my thumb. i still donate blood even though i hate it and it scares me a bunch.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Needles are just penises for your skin. There is no need to fear them. They are your friend.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

FilthyImp posted:

Wasn't that more about hens parties going to male gay bars because "eye candy + they won't hit on me" meant that it should be fine go and ruin everyone else's time.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My brother is deathly afraid of needles and passes out sometimes too, but he still gets a flu shot every drat single year because it's the right thing to do if you care about your friends, family, and public health as a whole.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
your skin is just an rear end in a top hat for needles

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

freckle posted:

hey, I don't mean to be creepy but your yoga pants get kind of translucent when you're squatting and everyone can see your needle-assholes

wait why are you mad now

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

freckle posted:

I had never thought about it like that, but it's true. Thank you for enlightening me, freckle.

I find that all ideas, no matter how complex, can be analogized into gay sex. Gay sex truly is the universal language. If you look up colonial history in any country, it is the way that colonizers first communicated with the native peoples.

Gay sex is the lingua franca of humanity.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Danaru posted:

The other phobia is fursuits. I don't even have anything against furries but seeing fursuits/animatronics makes me go full on fight or flight. Five Nights at Freddys is my favourite horror game. Anyway, that's my story

It's the dead "emotions". The faces are frozen in some mockery of life, an impenetrable mask that hides how they REALLY feel.

Like a slasher movie villain wearing a happy face mask

Miserable Maid fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 4, 2019

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

DemoneeHo posted:

quote:

...and their jobs are in cosmetology, nursing, and MLM schemes

Uhhhh one of these things is not the gently caress like the others!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Tell the gay folks ahead of time so they'll invite a bunch of straight guys to hit on the chicks

gently caress you for using queer spaces for your bachelorette tourism

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

Uhhhh one of these things is not the gently caress like the others!

You are more wrong than you might expect. The number of nurses in MLMs is UNFORTUNATE

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

Midnight Voyager posted:

You are more wrong than you might expect. The number of nurses in MLMs is UNFORTUNATE

Is there a smilie for deep disappointment?

I know you must be right, but I always hope for more from my fellow science minded folks. Although I did have a woman who was an earth science teacher tell me to cure my MS with...flax seed.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

cumshitter posted:

I had never thought about it like that, but it's true. Thank you for enlightening me, freckle.

I find that all ideas, no matter how complex, can be analogized into gay sex. Gay sex truly is the universal language. If you look up colonial history in any country, it is the way that colonizers first communicated with the native peoples.

Gay sex is the lingua franca of humanity.

That sounds like a wild gay sex maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I went to some gay bars with some queer friends in college and I remember one of the places did in fact have a bachelorette party of bleach blonde southern women present being loud and obnoxious.

quote:

It feels weird to celebrate marriage in a place where 95% of the people could only get married a decade ago. It doesn’t sit right

The only states that had gay marriage legal ten years ago were Massachusetts, Connecticut, briefly California, Iowa, and Vermont.
So it's even worse than that!

Grape fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 4, 2019