Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They just entered Sector 001

Don't worry, I think there are fighters stationed at Jupiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

McNally posted:

Don't worry, I think there are fighters stationed at Jupiter.

Lol seconds after I read this I watched what happened to them

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wolf is a real star just 8 light years from Earth by the way.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Using their network against them is fairly clever.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

A collision course :staredog:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I gasped at Picard getting through to say "sleep"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Niiiiiiice

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Boom

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Even though I knew Picard logically had to be saved it was such a relief when he was

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Are those plates there for a medical reason or are they part of the Borg that couldn't be removed, I wonder.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Tomorrow you ought to watch Family.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. That look Picard had at the end sure was eerie. Hope the Borg didn't leave anything behind in him.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Hooooly poo poo you need to watch Family while this is still fresh in your mind.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Yes, "Family" is kind of "Best of Both Worlds Part III". It's both a coda to the Borg story and a coda to season 3 as a whole.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH MY HEART

This is what I was watching if anybody didn't guess:

VanSandman posted:

Tomorrow you ought to watch Family.

Yeah I will.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

shadok posted:

Yes, "Family" is kind of "Best of Both Worlds Part III". It's both a coda to the Borg story and a coda to season 3 as a whole.

Also Worf's parents, and I will fight anyone who doesn't like them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Are those plates there for a medical reason or are they part of the Borg that couldn't be removed, I wonder.

These things?

I always took them to be 24th century band-aids, because of the surgery to remove the hardware. They're gone by the next episode, anyway.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Spinoffs had already been a thing for a long time. According to the infallible Wikipedia, Happy Days (to pick an example) had no less than seven spinoff shows, and they would occasionally do crossover episodes or have characters who showed up on multiple shows.

Yeah, I mean two ships/crews/stories in the same series tho.

Everybody want to get mad?

Here's Marc Scott Zicree, writer of many famous ST episodes and other series, showing the "World Enough and Time" episode from the fanfilm Phase II series that he did with George Takei. It's probably one of the best ones they did, best of any fanfilm. (Also reminder, if you watch or rewatch that Takei was about 70 when he filmed those actions scenes!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4197h-lJxBk

Why be mad? Watch the beginning, when he talks about how close they were to a Captain Sulu series. I knew at Takei had been pushing it for years, but I never knew they had a series bible and everything! :( Some of that poo poo with the plotline of them exploring Klingon Space with a Klingon science officer sounded p rad. Not sure about Son Of Spock though...

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hope the Borg didn't leave anything behind in him.

Did they leave anything lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7uerhyxnA0

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

After The War posted:

Also Worf's parents, and I will fight anyone who doesn't like them.

Every time they are onscreen I am literally going :allears:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trivia for Jeb: there's something that doesn't appear in "Family" that is in every other episode of Next Generation. See if you notice what it is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

is it the ship

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 3, episode 26 "The Adversary"

It just now struck me how much the actor for Eddington resembles Benedict Cumberbatch. Especially when he was in Sisko's ready room congratulating him on his promotion, he reminded me of Benedict's Khan.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

shadok posted:

Trivia for Jeb: there's something that doesn't appear in "Family" that is in every other episode of Next Generation. See if you notice what it is.

A perfect, Roddenberry-esque future where we've moved past barbaric notions of family, flaws, and interpersonal conflict? :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

is it the ship

It's Riker

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

WampaLord posted:

It's Riker

Holy poo poo I've never noticed that before

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WampaLord posted:

It's Riker

What? You're wrong. First scene of the episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

shadok posted:

is it Data

is it the bridge

is it Worf's honor

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am fairly certain that if Patrick Stewart had quit, they could have adapted Riker into a pretty good Kirk-esque captain.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Season 4 has a really long run of good shows. It only starts to falter around Night Terrors. You get the Nth Degree after that but then it's hit and miss.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 9, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Riker isn't all that much like Kirk imho, apart from they're both white guys who like optimism and the occasional space babe.

A Riker lead show supported by Shelby and Data might have been good. Frakes is a pretty decent actor though he's no Sir Patrick. Riker has a kind of mediocre track record when he's in charge of the ship also (Samaritan Snare, for example) so it might have been interesting to portray him as less effective leader learning to step out of Picard's shadow. I'm definitely glad they didn't kill Picard off regardless.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

is it Data

is it the bridge

It is the only episode in which Data does not appear.

It is the first episode with no scenes on the bridge. I thought it was the only such episode but it turns out there were three.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

skasion posted:

Riker isn't all that much like Kirk imho, apart from they're both white guys who like optimism and the occasional space babe.

A Riker lead show supported by Shelby and Data might have been good. Frakes is a pretty decent actor though he's no Sir Patrick. Riker has a kind of mediocre track record when he's in charge of the ship also (Samaritan Snare, for example) so it might have been interesting to portray him as less effective leader learning to step out of Picard's shadow. I'm definitely glad they didn't kill Picard off regardless.

Riker's a competent spaceman and a charismatic leader. He would have been fine, he's just not Earth's biggest overachiever.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Given they really wanted to avoid serialization at the time how many episodes do you think we would have got with the crew reacting to Picards death? One quick mourning episode and then from that point on everything is settled into a new status quo?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

Given they really wanted to avoid serialization at the time how many episodes do you think we would have got with the crew reacting to Picards death? One quick mourning episode and then from that point on everything is settled into a new status quo?

For sure. We'dve had a Family, just a different Family.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

Pulaski didn't even get a mention when she left, Picard wouldn't get more than an episode.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

She used the Pulaski memory-erasing technique on everyone before she left so they wouldn't be sad.

E: That's why only Dr Crusher knows who Pulaski is -- she read about the technique in a medical journal

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Pulaski didn't even get a mention when she left, Picard wouldn't get more than an episode.

Pulaski sucked tho

:can:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Agreed. They should have had Doctor Selar for CMO in the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Meanwhile over here, Worst Trek Doctor Beverly Crusher tries to immunize a child by putting space worms into his eyeballs.