Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AtillatheBum posted:

It should since it's one of the best guns in the game full stop. That and the AC20 with +20 damage are instant buys/salvages for me.

The +damage Large Lasers are way better than the variant AC10.

I get the "boom, headshot" appeal, but LLs + Missiles are the better decapitation combo, on top of just being better in a general brawl.

sean10mm posted:

I'm kind of tempted to see if the AC20 with +4 accuracy is actually better in practical terms. At least unless you have one of those rare 1 ton +3 ballistic TTS things.

Even with good pilots the AC20 can have poo poo accuracy against moving targets at the edge of its (already short) range, especially with its -2 refire accuracy on top of that. Maybe it is better to have max chance to hit with 100 instead of a lower chance to hit sometimes with 120?

Guts gets rid of the refire penalty. There's deffo a case for the accuracy version, but the damage version is ultimately better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

sean10mm posted:

PPC heat is so bananas that they're almost always a bad choice anyway even with ++

I agree its high, but they also upped the stab damage so that's a thing, especially with LRMs getting that toned down. I've had more than a couple pilots end up on their asses with an injury when a PPC carrier catches me off guard.

They have a place, but it's pretty niche. Basically you have to be running cool enough already that the heat isn't a big deal. Mostly lighter mechs where they don't carry enough other weapons to make swapping out for a LL plus extra heat sinks the easy choice. Panther is a good example - I do good work with those in the early game. Eventually heat gets to be an issue after a few turns but for the most part the stock panther rides that line of slowly building excess heat nicely.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

I get the "boom, headshot" appeal, but LLs + Missiles are the better decapitation combo, on top of just being better in a general brawl.

Guts gets rid of the refire penalty. There's deffo a case for the accuracy version, but the damage version is ultimately better.

Especially early game and when you don't have much of a choice. In my current play through the first non-stock AC20 I got was a ++ with accuracy. Would I have preferred +20 dmg? Hell yeah, but it was early enough that I noticed the accuracy bonus and it was appreciated. Did some good work with that in a centurian Faux-lo-wang.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

I agree its high, but they also upped the stab damage so that's a thing, especially with LRMs getting that toned down. I've had more than a couple pilots end up on their asses with an injury when a PPC carrier catches me off guard.

They have a place, but it's pretty niche. Basically you have to be running cool enough already that the heat isn't a big deal. Mostly lighter mechs where they don't carry enough other weapons to make swapping out for a LL plus extra heat sinks the easy choice. Panther is a good example - I do good work with those in the early game. Eventually heat gets to be an issue after a few turns but for the most part the stock panther rides that line of slowly building excess heat nicely.

While I agree that Lights are one of the narrow cases making PPCs more attractive under the current game rules, in the specific case of the Panther and Urbanmechs you can also just fit dual Large Lasers and enjoy improved accuracy, overall damage, and two solid damage hit rolls instead of just the one.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

sean10mm posted:

EDIT: I just realized I haven't seen any ECM equipment in the game to salvage yet except on the Raven and I'm like 600 days in! Don't think I've seen a single one of the ECM/active probe vehicles in the field either.

I don't think the vehicles can drop their ECM/AP modules as salvage. The RVN outside of the FP has a appearance date of 1-1-3027 or about +730 some days in and the vehicles are 1-1-3026. The equippable ECM or AP modules can be found in Liao, Davion and Kurita Allied stores, best chance with Liao.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you savescum a flashpoint reward? I did Siegebreaker and if I knew my rare mech upgrade would be an arm mod+, I would have left the siege in place.

The last mission was pretty fun though. It was another reminder I never bring enough ammo for attack and defend missions especially when there’s a tonnage limit. By the last wave of reinforcements I was punching things with my Firestarter and Orion missile boat. Glad one of mechs was already a Shadowhawk built for melee.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
For me the end of Siegebreaker consisted of my Crab blowing the objectives up in the corner, completely unmolested, a Hatchetman and armless Thunderbolt slashing/kicking things, and a completely sandpapered Catapult hiding behind a skyscraper and LRMing ineffectually. Those turrets were almost completely worthless, I wish I'd picked one of the two lance leaders!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KDdidit posted:

Can you savescum a flashpoint reward? I did Siegebreaker and if I knew my rare mech upgrade would be an arm mod+, I would have left the siege in place.

The last mission was pretty fun though. It was another reminder I never bring enough ammo for attack and defend missions especially when there’s a tonnage limit. By the last wave of reinforcements I was punching things with my Firestarter and Orion missile boat. Glad one of mechs was already a Shadowhawk built for melee.

Sure can. Just need to save in the mission before you end it. So before you finish off that last mech or extract or whatever. You'll have to click through the end-mission debrief and cutscene but it gives you a new reward lootbox roll.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I feel like the PPC would be a lot better if it was 60 damage, so that +damage versions of it had a chance to headshot things.

I've modded my game so that PPCs produce 30 heat, and get +10 and +15 damage from + and ++ damage versions. I've also modded the + and ++ stability PPCs to do +20 and +40 stability damage.

First of all, at 30 heat, the normal PPC is a useable weapon.

As for the + damage version, in theory a 65 damage ++ PPC is on par with other "good" weapons. However, its game breaking as its trivial to mount 3 PPCs on 80+ ton mech. In the late game, with high morale and Tactics 9 pilots, its way too easy to just chop heads off. I think what I'll try next is +10 damage and +10 damage/-5 heat (25 heat final, since I've modded base heat to 30) for + and ++ PPCs, respectively.

The +damage AC10s aren't nearly as game breaking because its much much harder to mount more than 2 onto a mech. I've modded my AC10s to do 65 damage and produce 9 heat. With these stats they are legit good weapons without being game breaking. They also make the urbanmechs, enforcers, centurions, orions and highlanders you run into much scarier as they can headshot you in open terrain.

I've found that with heat = 30, the +stability PPCs are good enough and don't need the stability damage boost I gave them.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah heat reduction and +stability may be the winning ticket for PPC's. They just have a hard time competing atm

On my career mode game I got an AWS-8Q as my first assault and loaded it with 5x LL's and it's been a rockstar

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

sean10mm posted:

Did you go into Steam and have it verify the game files? That fixed it the last time Battletech really acted up on me.

Might have to re-run Modtek afterword.

I tried that in the GOG client but it didn’t help. I don’t have any mods installed.

I’ll try re-installing, I guess.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

For me the end of Siegebreaker consisted of my Crab blowing the objectives up in the corner, completely unmolested, a Hatchetman and armless Thunderbolt slashing/kicking things, and a completely sandpapered Catapult hiding behind a skyscraper and LRMing ineffectually. Those turrets were almost completely worthless, I wish I'd picked one of the two lance leaders!

I had a support lance but the Griffin just sat there and didn’t fire after the first wave and the other mechs seemed to fire every other turn.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Conspiratiorist posted:

They are for sure better but that's why I said the AC10++ is among the best, not the best. LLs with +damage are unfairly good as are SRM 6s and while they're fine at decaps they definitely aren't better at it than ballistics. I always have a spot on my Lance for a mech with ++ ballistics just for the ability to bring any enemy mech home with me. The biggest problem I end up with is that there just aren't many mechs that are capable of mounting more than one ballistic headcapper whereas there are plenty of mechs that can run lasers + SRMs w/o issue.

Organ Fiend posted:

I've modded my game so that PPCs produce 30 heat, and get +10 and +15 damage from + and ++ damage versions. I've also modded the + and ++ stability PPCs to do +20 and +40 stability damage.

I've done some minor weapons tweaking as well: LLs now generate 21 heat so they aren't quite so ridiculous, my PPCs are also at 30 heat, and I've made most of the LosTech less garbage. I keep wanting to nerf SRMs but I can't figure out how exactly I want to do it, in ones or twos they are fine, it's only once you start massing them that they get out of hand.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
LL are still markedly less efficient pound-for-pound than ML. It's 2x the damage for 5x the weight but with better range. I think their balance is fine.

LL+SRM is a low key great combo, because the LL has all the range you can actually use and no minimum range if you want something with decent reach. I really should use it more often than I do, the one time I stuffed a King Crab to the gills with LL+++ and SRM6+++ it was delightful.

I don't really work hard on doing things ~optimally~ though so much as what seems fun or looks cool or whatever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sean10mm posted:

LL are still markedly less efficient pound-for-pound than ML. It's 2x the damage for 5x the weight but with better range. I think their balance is fine.

LL+SRM is a low key great combo, because the LL has all the range you can actually use and no minimum range if you want something with decent reach. I really should use it more often than I do, the one time I stuffed a King Crab to the gills with LL+++ and SRM6+++ it was delightful.

I don't really work hard on doing things ~optimally~ though so much as what seems fun or looks cool or whatever.

The thing is though that minimum range is meaningless once your pilots don't utterly suck at tactics.

Next mod run I do I'm going to have to find one that doens't make tactics gently caress with minimum range at all. Or range brackets in general.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing is though that minimum range is meaningless once your pilots don't utterly suck at tactics.

Next mod run I do I'm going to have to find one that doens't make tactics gently caress with minimum range at all. Or range brackets in general.

Yeah that -90 minimum range is a hell of a thing, makes gauss rifles and SRMs coexist nicely at everything but almost punching range.

e: Is there a working true hit % display mod for 1.6.1? When I tried the old mod on the Nexus with 1.6.1 it did nothing.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

I tried that in the GOG client but it didn’t help. I don’t have any mods installed.

I’ll try re-installing, I guess.

Re-installation failed. :suicide:

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

AtillatheBum posted:

I've done some minor weapons tweaking as well: LLs now generate 21 heat so they aren't quite so ridiculous, my PPCs are also at 30 heat, and I've made most of the LosTech less garbage. I keep wanting to nerf SRMs but I can't figure out how exactly I want to do it, in ones or twos they are fine, it's only once you start massing them that they get out of hand.

Really, I think that the baseline SRMs aren't all that bad. Its only when you get +++ SRMs that things get out of hand. I can think of two solutions:
-Cap damage bonus for ++ and +++ varieties to +2 (so basically, subtract 1 from all of the damage bonuses on current SRMs)
-Change cluster weapons (LRMs, SRMs, MGuns) so that precision strikes and called shots don't affect their hit table at all

Also I think stock LLs are in a good place right now. LL+++s are pretty crazy, but are perfectly balanced compared to ML++, SRM+++, LRM+++, and AC20+++. I think they'd still be ok with a slight nerf to ML++ and SRM+++.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AtillatheBum posted:

They are for sure better but that's why I said the AC10++ is among the best, not the best. LLs with +damage are unfairly good as are SRM 6s and while they're fine at decaps they definitely aren't better at it than ballistics.

50 damage Large Laser + 12 damage SRM equals a blown head.

2xAC10 w/ 4 tons ammo is 28 tons.
3xLL + 2xSRM6 w/ 2 tons ammo is 23 tons.

CSM chance to hit the head is 18.4% so with 12 missiles, there's a 91.28% chance at least one will connect. Chance at least 1 out of 3 LLs will hit is 45.66%, times the missile hit chance gives us a total chance to decapitate of 41.67% per called shot. Well, actually slightly higher than that, because if two LLs connect then we needn't worry about the missile rolls for obvious reasons.

OTOH dual AC/10s have a 33.41% chance to decapitate per called shot.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 19, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Yeah heat reduction and +stability may be the winning ticket for PPC's. They just have a hard time competing atm

On my career mode game I got an AWS-8Q as my first assault and loaded it with 5x LL's and it's been a rockstar

Making the EMP effect stack to a certain degree and last 2 turns instead of 1 also helps PPCs a LOT.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

50 damage Large Laser + 12 damage SRM equals a blown head.

2xAC10 w/ 4 tons ammo is 28 tons.
3xLL + 2xSRM6 w/ 2 tons ammo is 23 tons.

CSM chance to hit the head is 18.4% so with 12 missiles, there's a 91.28% chance at least one will connect. Chance at least 1 out of 3 LLs will hit is 45.66%, times the missile hit chance gives us a total chance to decapitate of 41.67% per called shot. Well, actually slightly higher than that, because if two LLs connect then we needn't worry about the missile rolls for obvious reasons.

OTOH dual AC/10s have a 33.41% chance to decapitate per called shot.

Missiles don’t work like that any more. Only the first round of burst weapons can hit the head. If it doesn’t land none of them do.

Edit: if it does none of the others do either. It’s just that first one that gets a shot at the head.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Missiles don’t work like that any more. Only the first round of burst weapons can hit the head. If it doesn’t land none of them do.

Edit: if it does none of the others do either. It’s just that first one that gets a shot at the head.

That's only LRMs.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Only LRMs work like that, but SRM/MGs were changed to have decreasing odds of hitting the called shot target as each burst of damage is dealt, so the first missile or MG plink has the listed value, but each successive missile/burst has a lower chance to hit the intended target. I can't recall if it was half value each step, but it was something like that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So just did my first Attack and Defend mission.

Holy gently caress was that a slog. Defeated the attackers and one of the defenders in time for the first reinforcement lance, pulled my troops back and managed to pretty much wipe the board clean just in time for the second reinforcement lance, had them on the ropes thanks to the Restoration's sniper turrets (the Taurians were dropping all half-armor Mechs, including a lot of Locusts, who the PPC turrets just carved up) when the third lance dropped, then defeated them and was preparing to march on the base to wipe it out... when a surprise 4th lance dropped. Groaned with terror that this might be an infinite wave thing, but once I defeated that lance I was able to freely march up, destroy the buildings, then the mission complete screen popped up and I was done.

I can't imagine how terrifyingly difficult a 5 Skull one of those missions will be.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

So just did my first Attack and Defend mission.

Holy gently caress was that a slog. Defeated the attackers and one of the defenders in time for the first reinforcement lance, pulled my troops back and managed to pretty much wipe the board clean just in time for the second reinforcement lance, had them on the ropes thanks to the Restoration's sniper turrets (the Taurians were dropping all half-armor Mechs, including a lot of Locusts, who the PPC turrets just carved up) when the third lance dropped, then defeated them and was preparing to march on the base to wipe it out... when a surprise 4th lance dropped. Groaned with terror that this might be an infinite wave thing, but once I defeated that lance I was able to freely march up, destroy the buildings, then the mission complete screen popped up and I was done.

I can't imagine how terrifyingly difficult a 5 Skull one of those missions will be.

Don't wait for them to drop, destroying the base stops all reinforcements from landing. Kill the base before the 2nd wave hits and it's fun at high difficulty. You usually also get allied units and stuff to help the defense. I'm usually taking a RVN and SHD or dual SHD/GRF/55t but I want to try RVN + any LRM boat and just try to spot/IDF the base.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I solved the freezing problem by buying a new video card. :homebrew:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Amechwarrior posted:

Only LRMs work like that, but SRM/MGs were changed to have decreasing odds of hitting the called shot target as each burst of damage is dealt, so the first missile or MG plink has the listed value, but each successive missile/burst has a lower chance to hit the intended target. I can't recall if it was half value each step, but it was something like that.

It's half value down to the base as a floor.

So each roll is getting the full CSM bonus until you get a hit, which is perfect for our purposes here. Also for trying to inflict an injury instead of outright destroying the head.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Amechwarrior posted:

Don't wait for them to drop, destroying the base stops all reinforcements from landing. Kill the base before the 2nd wave hits and it's fun at high difficulty. You usually also get allied units and stuff to help the defense. I'm usually taking a RVN and SHD or dual SHD/GRF/55t but I want to try RVN + any LRM boat and just try to spot/IDF the base.

Doesn't that just mean less opportunity for good salvage?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Jabor posted:

Doesn't that just mean less opportunity for good salvage?

True, but I don't feel like adding more ammo, though that's probably a good tip if you want to be safe on these. Might consider some kind of ML/SL GHR kill team that can just keep flanking everything for one shots.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As long as they don't exist in MP, +++ weapons should be silly good. They exist to power you up and make your lance able to take 2-3 times their numbers in the later missions. Also to make salvage worthwhile past the point where you have all the mechs you want.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Felt like a total badass when my lance of four mediums defeated a lance of three heavies and one medium. None of my dudes lost limbs or components but were drat close. I have come to see the light of the jump jet, so many problems solved by simply jumping around to the other side and blasting backs

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lately I've been feeling kind of ambivalent about the Cyclops-Z. The +1 initiative feels good, but I'm not sure how much it is contributing to winning battles vs. taking a better mech along instead.

Having my assaults shoot before their assaults *can* be good, but a lot of the time it seems like I'm moving into cover and then reserving until the enemy moves into the open, at which point all my mechs are acting in the last phase anyway.

I dunno. :confuoot:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I used it for a while, but I think it falls off heavily once you have four assaults with ~60 tons of pod space. +1 initiative is good, but not as good as 20 tons of additional firepower.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah, but then in the next round you'd be going before them thus ensuring 2 rounds of firing. Saying you're going toe to toe with other assaults

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

This doesn't work if the enemy is all init 1.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

This doesn't work if the enemy is all init 1.

^

In practical terms, reserving down to Init-1 means some amount of trading as units are forced to either act or lose their turn.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

It's best vs all assault contracts when you reserve all down to 1, let one AI move first, pummel it to knockdown, then finish it in Phase 2 with one or maybe two units and reserve the rest to 1 and do it again to the next first actor.

I just pack the Cyclops with stab LRMs to help the knockdowns but the loss of a Frontline tank and decreased weapons tonnage is felt vs just bringing another dual AC/20+++ KGC with Breach.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
well there's always some amount of piece trading as the opfor isn't sitting around letting you reserve down uncontested. I'd still argue being able to guaranteed go before the opfor is still a worthwhile ability, but hey if you want more pew-pews go for it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Personally I like moving before the other assaults because it’s a pretty much guaranteed kill for me. Move my AC20x2/SRM6x3 KC and take an aimed shot at CT with 85% chance to hit the called location. That will core out most assaults. It’s great for removing poo poo that you don’t want to actually salvage but which have a single weapon you need to keep an eye on, like victors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Will a flashpoint expire while you travel to it? I'm a couple days shy on travel time for the one I want to go to.