Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
lol @ Jimbo still getting a dig in about Germany at Rafa Honigstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Football better come home otherwise Barry is gonna be insufferable.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ramble's out

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I maybe wrong, I love listening to FW every day but if I haven't seen the game I feel like I am none the wiser after listening to the pod except if someone dived or got hit in the nads.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
is the geezer on FW today whose sole contribution to the conversation was it'd be good if England won the world cup because "like, everyone would be pissed for three days" a regular?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is the geezer on FW today whose sole contribution to the conversation was it'd be good if England won the world cup because "like, everyone would be pissed for three days" a regular?

He's been on a couple of times before. Being fair I think his nerves were frazzled after that shoot out.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Only the third time he's been on, I think. Once that I can remember during the season and one other one during the World Cup.

A few of the regulars are out in Russia and they're doing pods every day, so it looks like guests are a little thin on the ground. I've seen a few people complain about him, but I didn't find him too grating.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

I maybe wrong, I love listening to FW every day but if I haven't seen the game I feel like I am none the wiser after listening to the pod except if someone dived or got hit in the nads.

At this point, World Cup FW is about listening to Max and Barry squabble as they descend into madness rather than to actually learn anything about football.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

peanut- posted:

At this point, World Cup FW is about listening to Max and Barry squabble as they descend into madness rather than to actually learn anything about football.

And then skipping Barry reading some shite out at the end, or is that just me?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The running gag of organising englands victory parade makes me laugh every time though

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Mickolution posted:

And then skipping Barry reading some shite out at the end, or is that just me?

Nah, it’s a joke that’s run its course.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Nah, it’s a joke that’s run its course.

It was sort of funny once at best. Although it's difficult for me to find an Irish accent funny in and of itself, because I have one.

I find this happens with a lot of podcasts, where the presenters/writers end up in an echo chamber with the most sycophantic fans on twitter/email/whatever and jokes/topics get played out. I remember cringing throughout that year whenever Jimbo would tell whichever panelist it was (can't remember who) that the listeners wanted to know about how many different loving beers he'd drank. Same goes for Lars and his breakfast.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think they're going for a "Sideshow Bob and the rakes" style gag with that one, where it's funny, then not funny, and eventually wraps around to being funny again

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Ramble has been absolutely on point during this tournament. Loved them.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

britishbornandbread posted:

Ramble has been absolutely on point during this tournament. Loved them.

TFS hasn't been as terrible as usual either, but yeah, loved the world cup ramble.

I love the "tuning radio" intro they've played a couple of times in place of the theme tune.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I really loved Barry winding up Max at the start of today's episode.

STAY ON YER FEET, STAY ON YER FEET

I think we've all got a mate like that

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ninpo posted:

TFS hasn't been as terrible as usual either, but yeah, loved the world cup ramble.

I love the "tuning radio" intro they've played a couple of times in place of the theme tune.

I enjoyed the little fact about the "love train" being a lincoln city move.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I hated that mockney within five seconds of him opening his mouth the first time he was on

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

webmeister posted:

I really loved Barry winding up Max at the start of today's episode.

STAY ON YER FEET, STAY ON YER FEET

I think we've all got a mate like that

it’s me blaring ‘go on son!’ in the pub

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also isnt the cockney dude from the finishing post, ie: a horse racing paper?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Also isnt the cockney dude from the finishing post, ie: a horse racing paper?

No, he's from Mundial, which I understand is a football magazine for hipsters. There was a guy from the Racing Post on a few times, but I don't really remember him doing or saying much. He did have a London accent, I think.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
He's ok but not particularly great. I think I'm biased because clearly he's an England supporter and maybe max fulfils that role by himself enough. I can see why others wouldn't like him.

He's a clueless Daniel Storey, basically.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't want to get too serious for this thread but barry saying about how england doing well is a positive for the far right and brexit etc.

I dunno it seems like the complete opposite a harmonious team of guys from all different backgrounds all with the country behind them. Loads of memes no hooligan violence? Possession based football playing out from the back (even if we suck at it).

This wc has been so much fun.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
No hooligans in Russia because not many England fans are in attendance, I’ve seen videos of retards fighting each other in the streets here after an England victory because they support different local rivals.

The reasons you mention are the reasons it shouldn’t be hijacked by the right as a flag to wave but let’s not be naive we don’t do reasons or thinking in this country at the moment.

In the unlikely event of an England World Cup win it would definitely be held up as a metaphor for Brexit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I just think as an overall thing. This world cup has been amazing. English society has been completely fragmented in so many ways.

I just feel like for the first time in years and years we have something positive and inclusive that everyone can get behind. That is gold dust.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
It would be good but I think it’s an incredibly fragile thing as it as (already saw idiots turning when Colombia equalised) and while a victory may bring people together in the immediacy I doubt it will change their overarching views about unity and strength unfortunately.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jippa posted:

I just think as an overall thing. This world cup has been amazing. English society has been completely fragmented in so many ways.

I just feel like for the first time in years and years we have something positive and inclusive that everyone can get behind. That is gold dust.

The UK government would love nothing more than a World Cup win to distract everyone from the fist loving they're giving us.

It would be awesome for football reasons and football reasons only, there doesn't need to be a political narrative found for everything. For example, Russia is run by a bunch of cunts and they have a great many deplorable social policies, but guess what, they've so far put on a great tournament. You can either enjoy it for what it is or try and drag politics into it and when poo poo like that happens you get stuck with all seated stadiums, dickheads like Colin Moynahan as Sports Minister and not so polite requests to go back to DnD.

Football is an escape from the daily loving bullshit for 90 minutes or so. It's not a fix nor a band aid for it.

e:

Bacon Terrorist posted:

It would be good but I think it’s an incredibly fragile thing as it as (already saw idiots turning when Colombia equalised) and while a victory may bring people together in the immediacy I doubt it will change their overarching views about unity and strength unfortunately.

You could hear the knives sharpening for Henderson as soon as he missed as well.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
@ninpo You make very good points. I would still say that this WC is different in that I have seen some thing that unites english people from all different backgrounds.

This england team seems to represent modern england and is likeable for every one. I've seen "non white" england fans with shirts every where. This seems to me to be a water shed moment.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Fingers crossed but I think the players who have received criticism for underperforming would be getting even more vitriol from the great unwashed if they weren’t using the anglicised versions of their names.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Fingers crossed but I think the players who have received criticism for underperforming would be getting even more vitriol from the great unwashed if they weren’t using the anglicised versions of their names.

Well it most certainly isn't coincidence that the scum gutter press decided to go after "Raheem" pre tournament.

Jippa posted:

@ninpo You make very good points. I would still say that this WC is different in that I have seen some thing that unites english people from all different backgrounds.

This england team seems to represent modern england and is likeable for every one. I've seen "non white" england fans with shirts every where. This seems to me to be a water shed moment.

I don't know how old you are, but you probably didn't see much of that in 2016, 2014, 2012 or 2010's tournaments because enthusiasm has waned heavily over the years not due to national divides, but due to the team being rather poo poo and underachieving to laughable levels. Certainly in 2006 there was still plenty of cross cultural England mania. People forget that modern Britain has been multicultural for some time, a great deal of the "us vs them" of recent years is the product of political and media manipulation and fear mongering. We're not witnessing centuries of whites only Britain just now emerging into the light thanks to Our Boys, just the latest brand of "make them hate each other so they don't hate us" from the powers that be.

Anyway, happy to chat more in PM, this isn't DnD etc etc.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 6, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bring back our Sven imo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Luke made a really good point on the ramble that this world cup makes mourinho look really bad.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jippa posted:

Luke made a really good point on the ramble that this world cup makes mourinho look really bad.

How so?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
that roberto martinez is somehow making lukaku and marouane loving fellaini look like world beaters, that pogbas actually showed up for france and ashley young has not had a bird poo poo in his mouth for several hundred minutes of football

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Those players just finished second in the Premier League, it's not surprising that they're good??? I mean, Mourinho plays dour football but they've been 'successful' and it's not surprise that's continued

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
youre right ninja steve, mourinho is a competent manager and i hope he stays at manchester united for twenty six years

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
TBH Lukaku had a great first season and literally banged in lots of goals. Ashley Young also had a good season at United, Fellaini has been used as a plan B just as he has at United, which leaves Pogba, really.

It was a funny comment but when actually scrutinised, there's only really Pogba that's doing...better...than his form last season, despite him only coming behind City players in assists.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I have never seen Lukaku play for United half as well as he did against Brazil or Japan.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I have never seen Lukaku play for United half as well as he did against Brazil or Japan.

:same: I have no idea where this came from but I hope to God it doesn't continue in club play, it's terrifying.

Anyway, I've been getting into the GFW pod thanks to the thread's recommendation, it's fun--except when they have someone call in. I can't understand a word these correspondents are saying! Are they calling in on a tin can phone or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I have for Everton though. Makes you think...