Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I think iframes are at the beginning of your dodge.

Switching to low stance for dodge then high for attacking works well too if you want to keep your dps and survivability up. Takes some practice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Every weapon has 3 stats it scales off by default.

Huh? Axe has Body, Strength, Stamina scaling. Dual Katana has Heart, Strength, Skill scaling.

Where exactly does this without secondary benefit come from? Those stats overlap several other weapons, and also grant several passive benefits.

E: Also heavy armor has stamina and strength requirements, medium has body and strength, and light has body and skill.

I know they scale of multiple, but if Im doing a dual Katana build I probably want to spec into the A scaling, not the C scaling. If I do spear main scaling, I will get HP, if I do katana main scaling I get Ki. If I do Kusarigama I am build ninjitsu. Those are direct secondary benefits to building the main stat.

I like that they all scale with 3, so you can automatically be ok with a number of weapons. I have to see the numbers if medium heart/strength outlevel the great scaling of skill.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Keep in mind different types of class of weapon(Like Axe, Hammer, ect.) scale differently. They use the same 3 stats but which stat is best might be different.

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

edit: he literally threw one of the giant balls through himself to hit me behind him :/

Yeah I thought they fixed this from the beta but I guess not. You have to dodge right before he throws or else he'll throw it at ANY angle to hit you, no matter how physics defying it is.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

http://i.imgur.com/1zRtd5s.gifv

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

i-frames in this game either barely exist or exist in a different part of the animation than seems logical. Or this boss boss on the boat attack hitboxes are just insanely active and huge. Fought him about 20 times now.

edit: he literally threw one of the giant balls through himself to hit me behind him :/

Yeah the attack hitboxes are just active and huge, they're all over the place. You have to dodge, dodge, dodge multiple times. When he's spinning the balls just get the gently caress away from him, really. It sucks. Elixir your way through it and try not to eat too many hits.

Biggest thing in this game is don't dodge too early. Try to dodge at the last possible second. But for that boss in particular you just have to stay away from him when he's got those loving balls rolling around.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 7, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kingtheninja posted:

Love the game. What's the main state for kurisagama? Dex?

Yeah Dex is B+, then Skill is C+, then body is D+ (may vary from kusari to kusari but dex will always be the top one)

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
What are the first things I should level in? Also don't be a idiot like me and forget to grab your pre order gear.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

RatHat posted:

Yeah I thought they fixed this from the beta but I guess not. You have to dodge right before he throws or else he'll throw it at ANY angle to hit you, no matter how physics defying it is.

Yeah. I finally got him dead.

Just have to dodge way later in this game than any Souls game. A lot more like character action titles, which makes sense I guess because of Team Ninja. Mechanically it is much more like a character action title and it feels great. But because of the game systems outside of combat my brain keeps firing on instincts I have developed for the Souls series. I'll get used to it by the end of the day.

I'm a big fan of the dynamic voice acting. I wish more games (and film and tv) would do it, rather than just have everyone speaking one language in situations where it doesn't make sense.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RatHat posted:

^^^ Keep in mind different types of class of weapon(Like Axe, Hammer, ect.) scale differently. They use the same 3 stats but which stat is best might be different.

Really? I thought Skill will always be highest for DK, but it might be A C D or B+ B C. That kind of thing. Always in its heieracrchy (beyond exotic weapons with different scaling)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zaphod42 posted:

Every weapon has 3 stats it scales off by default.

Huh? Axe has Body, Strength, Stamina scaling. Dual Katana has Heart, Strength, Skill scaling.

Where exactly does this without secondary benefit come from? Those stats overlap several other weapons, and also grant several passive benefits.

E: Also heavy armor has stamina and strength requirements, medium has body and strength, and light has body and skill.

I think what he's getting at is that Dual Katana scales the most to skill which doesn't have all the secondary benefits that Heart, Stamina, Body, or dexterity primaries do. Ultimately I think this is kind of a moot point because the scaling seems to be pretty reasonable and if you're shitstacking skill for dual katanas you'll still be do pretty good with spears (for example) if you have even modest investment in strength and body.

Keep in mind that even if you don't have a weapon that scales to heart/body/whatever it's still not wasted points in there because of all the secondary stats you derive from it.

My first character is probably specifically going to be a Body/SKL Spear/dual katana guy with rifles and enough magic to be dangerous.

Skill plays a hand for all weapon scaling except Axes to a greater or less extent.

Strength plays a hand for all weapon scaling except kusarigama and ranged weapons on top of a requirement for the heaviest armors in the game.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 7, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The Oni in the boat was kicking my rear end, despite having killed him 3 times prior in the tests, until I remembered that high stance wrecks him fast

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
How does this game compare to Dark Souls in terms of how confusing it can be to figure out how to progress? I wouldn't mind some Souls-style gameplay, just without having to look at a wiki article to figure out which little cubby hole actually has a new path hidden inside it.

To be clear, I'm not talking about actual secret areas, which are great. I'm more referring to how like in Dark Souls 2 you had to talk to a specific NPC to get her to move so that you could then track her down again and have her unlock a door that allows you to progress further in the game.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 7, 2017

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah. I finally got him dead.

Just have to dodge way later in this game than any Souls game. A lot more like character action titles, which makes sense I guess because of Team Ninja. Mechanically it is much more like a character action title and it feels great. But because of the game systems outside of combat my brain keeps firing on instincts I have developed for the Souls series. I'll get used to it by the end of the day.

I'm a big fan of the dynamic voice acting. I wish more games (and film and tv) would do it, rather than just have everyone speaking one language in situations where it doesn't make sense.

Remember that low stance has the most active i frames of any stance.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Alteisen posted:

Remember that low stance has the most active i frames of any stance.

Yeah I ended up just staying in that stance unless I had a decent window for a beefier attack.

If I use soul match to buff a piece of armor with a set bonus (like the pre-order items, for example) does the new creation lose the set bonus?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yeah I ended up just staying in that stance unless I had a decent window for a beefier attack.

If I use soul match to buff a piece of armor with a set bonus (like the pre-order items, for example) does the new creation lose the set bonus?

I believe so long as the lower level piece your matching up has the set bonus, the new resultant piece should keep the bonus. I haven't tried it yet so I may be wrong, don't quote me on it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Basebf555 posted:

How does this game compare to Dark Souls in terms of how confusing it can be to figure out how to progress? I wouldn't mind some Souls-style gameplay, just without having to look at a wiki article to figure out which little cubby hole actually has a new path hidden inside it.

To be clear, I'm not talking about actual secret areas, which are great. I'm more referring to how like in Dark Souls 2 you had to talk to a specific NPC to get her to move so that you could then track her down again and have her unlock a door that allows you to progress further in the game.

You go to the next level by clicking an icon on a world map

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Nope. Run that Sanada set until the end of time.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Emalde posted:

Awesome.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What were the specific settings/differences between the video options (Action/Movie/Movie+ or whatever they're called)? I couldn't tell which one I should be in for a 4k set.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

What were the specific settings/differences between the video options (Action/Movie/Movie+ or whatever they're called)? I couldn't tell which one I should be in for a 4k set.

Action 60 fps locked lower resolution. Movie, higher resolution 30 fps. The hybrid one is a combo that's not recommended, all over the place.

Choose action.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

code:
PS4 Pro Nioh Options

4K TVs
Movie Mode – Stable 3840×2160 resolution at 30fps.
Action Mode – Stable 1920×1080 resolution at 60fps.

1080p TVs
Movie Mode – Stable 1920×1080 resolution with high quality anti-aliasing at 30fps.
Action Mode – Stable 1920×1080 resolution at 60fps.

You can also play Nioh on a standard PS4 in 30fps, 30+fps, or 60fps:

PS4 Nioh Options
Movie Mode – This mode focuses on resolution over frame rate, offering beautiful high resolution graphics with stable 30fps.
Action Mode – Here the emphasis is on frame rate, providing a stable 60fps.
Movie Mode (Variable Frame Rate) – This option provides high resolution graphics with a variable frame rate that may go over 30fps.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The variable option is so hilariously bad.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

RatHat posted:

The variable option is so hilariously bad.

In the tests I watched on youtube the framrate looks like a sin wave between 30ish and 60ish. :barf:
Choose action.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

How do I unsummon myself if I'm in a coop session? There's Harakiri Sword and Himorogi Fragment, but both would make me lose Amrita, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Winkie01 posted:

What are the first things I should level in? Also don't be a idiot like me and forget to grab your pre order gear.

Pick your favorite weapon, see what it scales with. Level that, and maybe put a point in body or spirit here and there.

Bombadilillo posted:

Really? I thought Skill will always be highest for DK, but it might be A C D or B+ B C. That kind of thing. Always in its heieracrchy (beyond exotic weapons with different scaling)

Yeah I think this is right, but could be wrong.

The levels change but I *think* the hierarchy stays the same. Also you can roll bonus scaling, but the bonus scaling is always pretty poor, like B- at best, not gonna get random A+ scaling in strength or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

How do I unsummon myself if I'm in a coop session? There's Harakiri Sword and Himorogi Fragment, but both would make me lose Amrita, right?

Yes both would make you lose amrita, but in co-op you'll end up getting 50% of your amrita even if you lose. Not sure if that works with using the himorogi, but should?

You could also just get yourself killed. That's safest :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Emalde posted:

You can totally do this and use the Sanda Set or Nioh Set for the whole game, BUT you're gonna notice that as you level the cost to reforge armor at higher level becomes prohibitively expensive.

You're better off trying some new armor and weapons and maybe reforging your favorite weapon if you get stuck at a certain point and need an ace in the hole.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

The game has a far more linear narrative than souls, and has individual "missions" unlike souls. So its much more directed. You can't just go anywhere, you pick a mission and then you play that mission. And its clear which missions you've done and which you havent', and which are main story missions and which are optional side missions.

Within a mission there are tons of hidden paths and secret areas, so it still scratches the souls level design itch (hidden bonfires!) but its much more directed than souls games. Can't imagine you ever being lost on what to do next.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Holy poo poo spear is awesome. :black101: I'm back to my polearm Souls roots.

Onmyo is pretty nice as well. Lots of utility skills to make life easier. Doing a spear/onmyo/light armor build and its pretty swanky so far. Finding points to put into Spirit might be tough though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So is this game more objective-driven than Souls games? I work a lot and my brain is fried so I hate when I pick up a game after a day or two and forget what I was supposed to be doing.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Not only are the paths more direct and obvious, the game has minimap with an objective marker

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

So is this game more objective-driven than Souls games? I work a lot and my brain is fried so I hate when I pick up a game after a day or two and forget what I was supposed to be doing.

Get through level, kill boss. That's the objective. Just like souls.

Its just more like Demon's Souls in that you fire up 1-1 and you can't wander over to 2-1, those are completely disconnected levels. You would have to warp back to start and then warp to 2-1 instead.

tap my mountain posted:

Not only are the paths more direct and obvious, the game has minimap with an objective marker

AND there's consumable items that you can use to say "Hey dingus, go this way"

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Dex is B+, then Skill is C+, then body is D+ (may vary from kusari to kusari but dex will always be the top one)

Yeah I'm kind of confused by this, mine clearly has B+ for dex and C+ for skill but skill clearly gives it more attack points on the level up screen.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
You may have a little trouble remembering the layout of particular missions, but you'll never find yourself wondering what to do next, even with all the many side missions available. Your next story missions will open up after completing previous ones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kojicolnair posted:

Yeah I'm kind of confused by this, mine clearly has B+ for dex and C+ for skill but skill clearly gives it more attack points on the level up screen.

Could be a factor of diminishing returns. Do you have vastly more Dex than Skill right now?

Also are you sure you're looking at the right weapon on the level up screen? It shows both of your equipped weapons next to each other, so its easy to mix up. (You probably aren't but just checking)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

The game has a far more linear narrative than souls, and has individual "missions" unlike souls. So its much more directed. You can't just go anywhere, you pick a mission and then you play that mission. And its clear which missions you've done and which you havent', and which are main story missions and which are optional side missions.

Within a mission there are tons of hidden paths and secret areas, so it still scratches the souls level design itch (hidden bonfires!) but its much more directed than souls games. Can't imagine you ever being lost on what to do next.

Hmmmm, this sounds like exactly the game I've been looking for then. I love the Souls games but I think I'm burned out on that whole "let me just wander around this level for an hour until I randomly stumble on the path forward" thing.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

AND there's consumable items that you can use to say "Hey dingus, go this way"

What do those do anyway? I didn't notice a difference when I used one, but I immediately changed it back out for a different talisman.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

kojicolnair posted:

I wonder if the scaling letter is a guideline but scaling may also just go "nah gently caress that the primary one for this weapon type gets you more points" until you get X amount in a stat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

On the status screen there's a section for 'online info' and it has a section for 'clan data' :getin: maybe we'll get covenants or something like them when the pvp patch hits? Or later in the game even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The combo of kusarigama and spear seems really wild. Spear has many skills that throw enemies about or hurls you over/around them. The kusarigama being versatile overall but also having the pull move is very deadly.